inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: IUMA (Internet Underground Music Archive) is back online at archive.org!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/29/12 at 2:09 pm

The ‘Internet Underground Music Archive’ Rides Again

For those of us on the Internet in the early days, this was where unsigned bands went to get noticed.  Emusic bought it out and drove it into the ground (like most early Internet sites that were bought out).  Fortunately someone had a tape backup of most of the content before it disappeared.

I still have a CD I bought from after the emusic buyout when they were burning CDs of the mp3s.  Strangeways a Depeche Mode sound-a-like (at least according to the emusic "try if you like" recommendations. 

You won't find too many groups you recognize as household names if you look at the Massive list of bands, but it's fun to explore it anyways.

Subject: Re: IUMA (Internet Underground Music Archive) is back online at archive.org!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/12 at 10:53 pm

The ‘Internet Underground Music Archive’ Rides Again

For those of us on the Internet in the early days, this was where unsigned bands went to get noticed.  Emusic bought it out and drove it into the ground (like most early Internet sites that were bought out).  Fortunately someone had a tape backup of most of the content before it disappeared.

I still have a CD I bought from after the emusic buyout when they were burning CDs of the mp3s.  Strangeways a Depeche Mode sound-a-like (at least according to the emusic "try if you like" recommendations. 

You won't find too many groups you recognize as household names if you look at the Massive list of bands, but it's fun to explore it anyways.

Oh man.

I haven't heard The Cocky Sticks utter the phrase "pull the skin of your ass over your head and turn ya into a Fckin' wheelbarrow, (nor the hilariously-NSFW "I'm a Catholic Girl, of course I swallow!") since 1999 and Michael Robertson's  mp3.com.

Obligatory Trivia: The source of the samples was Jasmin St. Claire, not Annabel Chong.  I'm not sure I wanted to know, but that at least answers something I've wondered about since 1999.

I can find safer-for-work examples of indie/underground dance music from my archives, but that's the first one that came to mind, becuase (unlike Mr. Gilmore) I didn't have the presence of mind (nor diskspace, nor did my employer have the bandwidth) to spider the IUMA back when I could!

Check for new replies or respond here...