inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soundgarden releasing new album Nov, 2012

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/17/12 at 1:07 am

Soundgarden, one of the prominent “Seattle” bands of the grunge scene has been reunited since 2010 and finally putting out a new album in November of this year.

Its actually wrong, putting them into the “grunge” category as Soundgarden was a great rock band, period. All the grunge and Seattle band references be damned, they just played good solid music.

Now they’re back and giving us some new tunes. What do you say, is it going to be any good after all these years? Will it stand up to their past success? Or is this just another washed up band grasping for former glory?

Subject: Re: Soundgarden releasing new album Nov, 2012

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/12 at 9:31 am

They may never beable to re-capture the 'Black Hole Sun' days, but they may do OK.  Their recent song 'Live to Rise' from The Avengers Soundtrack was Top 10 on the Billboard Rock chart and made it all the way to #69 in Canada

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/17/12 at 2:01 pm

Soundgarden, one of the prominent “Seattle” bands of the grunge scene has been reunited since 2010 and finally putting out a new album in November of this year.

Its actually wrong, putting them into the “grunge” category as Soundgarden was a great rock band, period. All the grunge and Seattle band references be damned, they just played good solid music.

I never liked the term "grunge" as a catch-all term for the original Big Four Seattle Bands. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam all had completely different styles and sounds and the only things they shared was that they played loud and they all happened to be from the same region.

Now they’re back and giving us some new tunes. What do you say, is it going to be any good after all these years? Will it stand up to their past success? Or is this just another washed up band grasping for former glory?

Alice In Chains (another Seattle band I really like) went on hiatus around 1996, and after their original lead singer Layne Staley died in 2002 I just assumed that they were finished. They reformed with a new lead singer in 2005 and released a new album, Black Gives Way To Blue in 2009 and like you I was very skeptical. But then I went out and bought it and I was blown away by how good it was.

I expect the same, if not more, from the reformed Soundgarden and I eagerly anticipate the new release. How can getting Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil back together again NOT be competely f**king awesome?!?  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/17/12 at 7:22 pm

I remember Black Hole Sun from 18 years ago, boy was that such a trippy video but quite enjoyable.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/17/12 at 7:35 pm

I love Soundgarden and I can't wait!  Personally, I like Black Hole Sun least of all and hope the new album is more like Badmotorfinger, ie Slaves & Bulldozers.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 3:08 am

I actually think Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice In Chains was the best, if not, second best studio album of the noughties. I would be surprised if King Animal wasn't at least the second best studio album of the tenties so far. Thinking positive.

Check for new replies or respond here...