inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are middle aged people nostalgic for the 90's?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/16/12 at 6:40 pm

I was thinking, my mom was only 26 when the 90's started and I was born, really not much older than I am now!  :o She's almost 50 now so really nearly half her life has taken place since the 80s ended! A person turning 40 today was only 17 in 1990 and only 27 in 2000.

Even if you're 60, back in the early 90s you were still a rather youthful late 30s and might have seemed very young, think of someone like Jerry Seinfeld.

With the better economy, a pop culture that was still somewhat adult-friendly, and quite a bit less advanced technology, do you think middle aged people today would see the 90's as the 'good old days'? Maybe not to the same extent as the 70's or 80's, but at least compared to today and this century?

Subject: Re: Are middle aged people nostalgic for the 90's?

Written By: warped on 09/16/12 at 7:06 pm

As someone who is a year or two older than your mom, I am not nostalgic for the 1990s at all. To me, it still falls into the "recent" time category, almost grouped together with the 00s.

I'd say I'm nostalgic for the 60s and 70s, and maybe just beginning to get nostalgic for the early 80s. 

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 7:31 pm

I'm personally not in my 40s yet or anything but I would say that some would be. But it depends on the individual and their life circumstances. Someone directly affected by 9/11 for example may appreciate a time with a decent level of technology but was still before YouTube and of course, before 9/11 happened. Even if they grew up in the 70s/80s. If someone liked watching Magnum PI with their spouse in the 80s, and then in the 90s not only was Magnum PI over, but their marraige was too, they may never get nostalgic for the era and see the 80s and earlier as the only good days, even in 2030.

In general, I think people will grow more nostalgic for the 90s as more time passes. Obviously in 2012, there are people out there nostalgic for even 1999. 

Written By: warped on 09/16/12 at 7:45 pm

But it depends on the individual and their life circumstances.

It does.

In general, I think people will grow more nostalgic for the 90s as more time passes.

I think that's almost inevitable. 15 years ago, I didn't think I'd grow nostalgic for the 80s. Just starting to now.  Having said that , the only difficulty I might have in being nostalgic for the 90s is that I liked 80s music, but not 90s music. I liked 80s TV shows, but not 90s TV shows, so there is less for me to be nostalgic for the 90s, but as time passes, I suspect it will occur. ( If I live long enough). 

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 7:53 pm

It does.

I think that's almost inevitable. 15 years ago, I didn't think I'd grow nostalgic for the 80s. Just starting to now.  Having said that , the only difficulty I might have in being nostalgic for the 90s is that I liked 80s music, but not 90s music. I liked 80s TV shows, but not 90s TV shows, so there is less for me to be nostalgic for the 90s, but as time passes, I suspect it will occur. ( If I live long enough).

Exactly. I had a very negative view of the 2000s a few years ago, and while I am a long time away from getting truly nostalgic for it, I have come to really appreciate what it had to offer.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/16/12 at 8:12 pm

I'm not in my 40s either.  Not till 2016.  I find there are a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about the 90s.  I was 14 in 1990 and 24 in 2000.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/17/12 at 12:10 am

I'm speaking for 95% of of the members on the boards in their late 30s to their 60s. 

I'm 44?

Are we nostalgic for the 90s?

NO!

Not even a little bit.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 1:03 am

I'm speaking for 95% of of the members on the boards in their late 30s to their 60s. 

I'm 44?

Are we nostalgic for the 90s?

NO!

Not even a little bit.

I think 95% is pushing it. A 38 year old could technically be considered to be a person in their late 30s. Rewind 20 years to 1992, and they were 18. People who were teenagers-their early 20s at least would've enjoyed grunge culture with Alice In Chains and whoever else. My estimate would be a lot lower.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/17/12 at 4:04 am

I don't really think that you get nostalgic for a specific decade or for pop culture. It's more that you get nostalgic for the stuff you did during that time and how you personally felt. That's the reason why a lot of people feel nostalgic about their childhood or teens - and that includes the specific decades, but a lot of people grew-up in different eras. I wouldn't think my mom (who was also 26, going on 27 when she got me) feels a lot of nostaglia for the 80's or 90's. She (and my dad who is 63) also mixes-up things from from these times pretty often. Even 90's stuff with 2000's and so on.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/12 at 6:37 am

I'm 38 and I don't feel nostalgic for the 90's yet.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 1:53 pm

Maybe that's true, but people your age were teenagers when Nirvana became popular.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 2:19 pm

Personally:

2012-2010: Hard to get nostalgic for today - obviously
2009-2005: Maybe traces of creeping nostalgia but nothing substantial - doesn't feel distant or "classic" yet.
2004-2000: Now we are starting to talk somewhat but again "classic" feel isn't truly there yet.
1999 and back: NOSTALGIA through the roof! 90s was the gold!

IMO

Written By: snozberries on 09/17/12 at 2:25 pm

I think 95% is pushing it. A 38 year old could technically be considered to be a person in their late 30s. Rewind 20 years to 1992, and they were 18. People who were teenagers-their early 20s at least would've enjoyed grunge culture with Alice In Chains and whoever else. My estimate would be a lot lower.

I wasn't speaking for the general population just members of the boards. You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of 90s nostagilists on these boards over the age of say....36

Read the hundreds of other 90s topics that have died here.

See Howard knows.

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 2:47 pm

Personally:

2009-2005: Maybe traces of creeping nostalgia but nothing substantial - doesn't feel distant or "classic" yet.
2004-2000: Now we are starting to talk somewhat but again "classic" feel isn't truly there yet.

IMO

I agree with snoz & Howard..I doubt you will find many middle aged people here nostalgic for the 90s. In fact , among my circle of friends, nostalgia for the 80s and prior to that has come up, but never once did we even consider the 90s nostalgic, yet. The topic has never come up.
I know the topic is addressed to middle aged people. Can I ask what your approx age is? My guess is early 30s at most. That would explain why you find the 90s nostalgic. It was part of your childhood, teenage years and you long for it and have good memories of it, it's good.

Because I finished high school in 1980, I consider "classic" to be my high school years and before that.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 3:09 pm

I agree with snoz & Howard..I doubt you will find many middle aged people here nostalgic for the 90s. In fact , among my circle of friends, nostalgia for the 80s and prior to that has come up, but never once did we even consider the 90s nostalgic, yet. The topic has never come up.
I know the topic is addressed to middle aged people. Can I ask what your approx age is? My guess is early 30s at most. That would explain why you find the 90s nostalgic. It was part of your childhood, teenage years and you long for it and have good memories of it, it's good.

Because I finished high school in 1980, I consider "classic" to be my high school years and before that.

And guess what, I don't disagree. And like I said above, it does come down to life circumstances and the individual and over time 90s nostalgia is likely to increase. I'm just saying it's also a hard press to say that nobody (or even almost nobody for that matter) who was a teenager in the 90s would have at least an ounce of nostalgia. I would actually expect someone in their late 30s today to be more nostalgic for the 80s in general than the 90s. I actually do believe that a clear majority of people here over a particular age would miss the 80s more, but 95% having not even an ounce of nostalgia? Not saying that number isn't true, just it seems a bit high. Especially since I've seen many people on YouTube claim to be born in the 70s/early 80s and endlessly talk about their golden days of Nirvana. I even miss being 17 even though my peak nostalgia would be around 12.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 3:17 pm

I wasn't speaking for the general population just members of the boards. You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of 90s nostagilists on these boards over the age of say....36

Read the hundreds of other 90s topics that have died here.

See Howard knows.

And guess what...I didn't say "Howard" specifically, I just said "people". I didn't say "ALL people" or even "the majority of people", I just said "people" as in "certain people" like the ones who were into grunge and make countless YouTube comments about how great being a teenager or even young adult for Nirvana was. I'd be surprised if none of those YouTube people were here too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 4:51 pm

And guess what...I didn't say "Howard" specifically, I just said "people". I didn't say "ALL people" or even "the majority of people", I just said "people" as in "certain people" like the ones who were into grunge and make countless YouTube comments about how great being a teenager or even young adult for Nirvana was. I'd be surprised if none of those YouTube people were here too.

41 year-old here.

I feel some nostalgia for the 1990's, but certainly not in the way that the Y and Zers have been debating here. There was a lot of great alternative rock coming out around 1993-94 and, sad to say, that's the last time I really got excited about new music. Not to mention that there wasn't this whole national vibe of "we're f**ked" like there is now.

But I can say with almost complete certainty that no Gen Xer is going to feel the same kind of nostalgia about the 90's that the Y and Zers do. And it's really quite simple why: The 1990s remind you of your childhood innocence, and when we were in our 20's back in the 90's, we were feeling the same sort of nostalgia for the 1970's. And a lot of the younger members have this fascination with the 1980's because they seem to think that it has this certain mystique, that it was some magical time just because they didn't experience it, but to be fair I had the same fascination with the 1960's for the same reason (I was born in 1970.).

Just go to the 1970's boards and see how many of us have posted in the "Classic Sesame Street" threads if you don't believe me. A lot of people here my age think it's kind of funny how obsessed the younger members are with the 90's but I get it.  The key difference is that we didn't have the Internet in the early 90's, and so a) we didn't have the instant access to, well, pretty much everything like we have now and b) we didn't have message boards to discuss the 1970's and 80's; and if we would have had that technology 20 years ago I'm sure we'd have been having the exact same discussions.

Not to mention that when you Y and Zers get into your 30's and 40's, you're gonna get on here (I hope to God inthe00s is still around in 20 years, because I'm gonna love ranting at people here when I'm a cranky old man) and be annoyed by the Generation AAers and BBers (or whatever the hell they're gonna call them) going on and on about how great the 00s and 10s were.  ;D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 5:00 pm

41 year-old here.

I feel some nostalgia for the 1990's, but certainly not in the way that the Y and Zers have been debating here. There was a lot of great alternative rock coming out around 1993-94 and, sad to say, that's the last time I really got excited about new music. Not to mention that there wasn't this whole national vibe of "we're f**ked" like there is now.

But I can say with almost complete certainty that no Gen Xer is going to feel the same kind of nostalgia about the 90's that the Y and Zers do. And it's really quite simple why: The 1990s remind you of your childhood innocence, and when we were in our 20's back in the 90's, we were feeling the same sort of nostalgia for the 1970's. And a lot of the younger members have this fascination with the 1980's because they seem to think that it has this certain mystique, that it was some magical time just because they didn't experience it, but to be fair I had the same fascination with the 1960's for the same reason (I was born in 1970.).

Just go to the 1970's boards and see how many of us have posted in the "Classic Sesame Street" threads if you don't believe me. A lot of people here my age think it's kind of funny how obsessed the younger members are with the 90's but I get it.  The key difference is that we didn't have the Internet in the early 90's, and so a) we didn't have the instant access to, well, pretty much everything like we have now and b) we didn't have message boards to discuss the 1970's and 80's; and if we would have had that technology 20 years ago I'm sure we'd have been having the exact same discussions.

Not to mention that when you Y and Zers get into your 30's and 40's, you're gonna get on here (I hope to God inthe00s is still around in 20 years, because I'm gonna love ranting at people here when I'm a cranky old man) and be annoyed by the Generation AAers and BBers (or whatever the hell they're gonna call them) going on and on about how great the 00s and 10s were.  ;D

Yeah, and in a previous comment I even said that I EXPECT people to have MORE nostalgia for the 80s, all I am saying is that people like you have admitted can at least have an OUNCE of nostalgia. Did you read that? Or for that matter, has anyone else that has commented here actually read that? Why does it seem like I am coming across as saying people are VERY nostalgic for the 90s when I say an OUNCE? Why do people act like they don't understand that I ALREADY KNOW childhood and teenage years are nostalgic for most people no matter if it was the 60s or even 90s. It seems like people misunderstand me completely. This is basically what I'm saying for middle aged people:

70 & 80s: Lots of nostalgia
90s: For a certain % at least an ounce of nostalgia

And once again, I never said it was false for 95% of people those ages to not be nostalgic for the 90s, just that my estimate wouldn't be that high.

And before anyone asks about the table I put up including 2000s years that was MY chart, not my estimate for how people older than 37 feel.

Written By: snozberries on 09/17/12 at 6:47 pm

John Avery....is that you. stop poking the beast, throw down the stick  and step away from the keyboard.

Better still.

Read as many 90s nostalgia / 90 kids threads on these boards. Enjoy yourself and learn how we feel instead of continuously telling us how you think we feel.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/17/12 at 6:55 pm

41 year-old here.

That's kind of what I was expecting middle aged people might feel for the 90's. Not so much nostalgia like someone born in 1989 would feel, but nostalgia in the sense 'i was kinda young, the world was still somewhat familiar to me, etc'.

I don't think a Gen Zer could feel much nostalgia for the 90's though, aside from missing something they never knew, since the youngest Gen Zs (IMO) were born in 1995 at the earliest.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 6:55 pm

John Avery....is that you. stop poking the beast, throw down the stick  and step away from the keyboard.

Better still.

Read as many 90s nostalgia / 90 kids threads on these boards. Enjoy yourself and learn how we feel instead of continuously telling us how you think we feel.

Are you even keeping in context what I've said? And as for what I've bolded, been there, done that, "got the t-shirt" etc. When did a single out a single person and say "this is how I think "John Avery" feels?" NEVER! For that matter I didn't even point out a specific estimate of a % of people that would be nostalgic or not nostalgic. I only said it SEEMED high at 95% and even admitted that there's a chance it was true (never said it definitley false). Maybe the better thing to do is learn the context of what I say before assuming the extremes.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 6:57 pm

That's kind of what I was expecting middle aged people might feel for the 90's. Not so much nostalgia like someone born in 1989 would feel, but nostalgia in the sense 'i was kinda young, the world was still somewhat familiar to me, etc'.

I don't think a Gen Zer could feel much nostalgia for the 90's though, aside from missing something they never knew, since the youngest Gen Zs (IMO) were born in 1995 at the earliest.

And I think like that as well. And I also think that people are taking what I say out of context. You can see I said a % would have at least OUNCE (an OUNCE not a TRUCKLOAD) as admitted by at least one person here.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/12 at 7:00 pm

Maybe that's true, but people your age were teenagers when Nirvana became popular.

I liked Nirvana for their one song.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/12 at 7:04 pm

I don't hate the 90's I just feel the 90's didn't have a nostalgic feel. In the 90's I basically listened to R&B a little rock and roll and hardcore rap.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:08 pm

I don't hate the 90's I just feel the 90's didn't have a nostalgic feel. In the 90's I basically listened to R&B a little rock and roll and hardcore rap.

And when did I say that you specifically were super nostalgic or even a little nostalgic for the 90s? Ummm....how about NEVER! I just said people around your age were teenagers then and I know of people (a number on this website) that have claimed to miss the days. That's not blatantly assuming how people feel that's going off what the people themselves have said. And even if they are lying about missing the 90s, I'm not going to claim responsibility for someone else's dishonesty.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 7:24 pm

Yeah, and in a previous comment I even said that I EXPECT people to have MORE nostalgia for the 80s, all I am saying is that people like you have admitted can at least have an OUNCE of nostalgia. Did you read that? Or for that matter, has anyone else that has commented here actually read that? Why does it seem like I am coming across as saying people are VERY nostalgic for the 90s when I say an OUNCE? Why do people act like they don't understand that I ALREADY KNOW childhood and teenage years are nostalgic for most people no matter if it was the 60s or even 90s. It seems like people misunderstand me completely. This is basically what I'm saying for middle aged people:

70 & 80s: Lots of nostalgia
90s: For a certain % at least an ounce of nostalgia

And once again, I never said it was false for 95% of people those ages to not be nostalgic for the 90s, just that my estimate wouldn't be that high.

And before anyone asks about the table I put up including 2000s years that was MY chart, not my estimate for how people older than 37 feel.
What's with the attitude? I was just trying to have a respectful conversation with you and you get all argumentative.

You asked our opinion and just because we're not telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean you have to act all sh!tty towards everyone.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:27 pm

What's with the attitude? I was just trying to have a respectful conversation with you and you get all argumentative.

You asked our opinion and just because we're not telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean you have to act all sh!tty towards everyone.

The "attitude" is people taking what I say out of context. For your information, I actually like hearing about people missing the 80s (or for that matter the 60s/70s). I'm not bothered by people's opinions, it's people seemingly taking what I say OUT OF CONTEXT and it's cringeworthy when I feel my words get twisted.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 7:34 pm

The "attitude" is people taking what I say out of context. For your information, I actually like hearing about people missing the 80s (or for that matter the 60s/70s). I'm not bothered by people's opinions, it's people seemingly taking what I say OUT OF CONTEXT and it's cringeworthy when I feel my words get twisted.

Seriously...what did I do? Where do you get the idea that I was trying to twist your words around?

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 7:34 pm

Better still.

Who's John Avery?

Karma to Al-B

I feel the same say, seems he's forcing us to love the 90s. I actually hated the 90s, I despise Nirvana, I think it's almost the worst band ever. I despise grunge in general, I can't stand the spice girls.

"90s was the gold". I'm glad you love the 90s, I'm happy for you. Doesn't mean everyone else has to. I love the late 60s and early 70s...doesn't mean everyone has to.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:36 pm

Seriously...what did I do? Where do you get the idea that I was trying to twist your words around?

For example, people seem to ASSUME that I'm "not hearing what I want to hear" just because I doesn't look like people are understanding what I am really saying. I never said anyone had to like the 90s.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:38 pm

Who's John Avery?

Karma to Al-B

I feel the same say, seems he's forcing us to love the 90s. I actually hated the 90s, I despise Nirvana, I think it's almost the worst band ever. I despise grunge in general, I can't stand the spice girls.

"90s was the gold". I'm glad you love the 90s, I'm happy for you. Doesn't mean everyone else has to. I love the late 60s and early 70s...doesn't mean everyone has to.

DING! DING! DING! OUT OF CONTEXT SIRENS! When did I ever say you HAD to like the 90s? Um...try NEVER! Want that word one more time? NEVER! You want to dislike the 90s...go ahead! What is cringeworthy is people taking what I say out of context.

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 7:46 pm

DING! DING! DING! OUT OF CONTEXT SIRENS! When did I ever say you HAD to like the 90s? Um...try NEVER! Want that word one more time? NEVER! You want to dislike the 90s...go ahead! What is cringeworthy is people taking what I say out of context.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your meaning, it's very unclear.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:49 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand your meaning, it's very unclear.

For example, people automatically ASSUME that I am probable trying to FORCE people to like the 90s. That's not it at all. People assume I'm trying to tell you how you feel even though I've said others have admitted at least an OUNCE and people are STILL suggestive that I am implying that people should like the 90s as much as the 80s.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/12 at 7:52 pm

Who's John Avery?

Karma to Al-B

we all have decades that people on here like. I just happen to like the 80's.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 7:55 pm

we all have decades that people on here like. I just happen to like the 80's.

And guess what. I've NEVER said that anyone should like the 90s or not like the 80s or 70s like these people appear to imply.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 7:57 pm

For example, people automatically ASSUME that I am probable trying to FORCE people to like the 90s. That's not it at all. People assume I'm trying to tell you how you feel even though I've said others have admitted at least an OUNCE and people are STILL suggestive that I am implying that people should like the 90s as much as the 80s.

That's probably because I said nothing in my first post that was even the slightest bit disrespectful towards anyone. I didn't twist anyone's words around, or take anything "out of context," or anything like that. I just stated my opinion, no more, no less.

YOU'RE the one who's trying to stir things up here, not me or warped or anyone else here.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:01 pm

That's probably because I said nothing in my first post that was even the slightest bit disrespectful towards anyone. I didn't twist anyone's words around, or take anything "out of context," or anything like that. I just stated my opinion, no more, no less.

YOU'RE the one who's trying to stir things up here, not me or warped or anyone else here.

And there you go. More ASSUMING on what I'm doing. I could very easily say you and Warped have been trying to stir things up by trying to make out that I want to FORCE people to like the 90s which is not only out of context, but COMPLETELY against my objective. The only thing stopping you two from getting further fudge/smite is that I need to wait another 24 hours. I believe those were very uncalled for because I never SAID you HAVE to like the 90s you just ASSUMED that!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:04 pm

And there you go. More ASSUMING on what I'm doing. I could very easily say you and Warped have been trying to stir things up by trying to make out that I want to FORCE people to like the 90s which is not only out of context, but COMPLETELY against my objective. The only thing stopping you two from getting further fudge/smite is that I need to wait another 24 hours. I believe those were very uncalled for because I never SAID you HAVE to like the 90s you just ASSUMED that!

Why Do You Hate Me?

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:10 pm

Why Do You Hate Me?

I don't hate you, in fact I basically liked you, until I read yet another comment that seemed to imply that I couldn't understand people liking the 80s because it was their childhood. What I hate, is people taking what I say out of context. It's as if merely saying a few people older than 37 or so miss the 90s at least a little bit = you are trying to force people to like the 90s. There's a clear difference between the two to me

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/12 at 8:20 pm

The only people in their 40s that may be nostalgic for the 90s is the cast of 'Beverly Hills, 90210' :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:24 pm

The only people in their 40s that may be nostalgic for the 90s is the cast of 'Beverly Hills, 90210' :D

And the members of Seven Mary Three.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:24 pm

There are people in their 40s that can admit to being nostalgic for the 90s at least a little bit. But it comes across here that being nostalgic for an era is ALL or NOTHING. I can't even use the word "ounce" without people acting as if I said "a truckload".

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 8:26 pm

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:31 pm

Isn't Luke Perry in his 50s?  Does he still count if he is? :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:32 pm

Luke Perry hasn't counted since 8 Seconds.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:33 pm

;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/17/12 at 8:33 pm

And the members of Seven Mary Three.  ;D ;D ;D

Jason Preistley, Luke Perry, Jennie Garth, Shannen Dorherty, Tori Spelling, and Brian Austin Green are in their 40s.  Garbrielle Carteris is actually in her mid-late 50s.  Carteris was in her early-mid 30s when she was on 90210.

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:34 pm

Jason Preistley, Luke Perry, Jennie Garth, Shannen Dorherty, Tori Spelling, and Brian Austin Green are in their 40s.  Garbrielle Carteris is actually in her mid-late 50s.  Carteris was in her early-mid 30s when she was on 90210.

There we go.  I knew it was either her or Luke that was like an old fart when they did that show.

I totally wanted to bang Luke, though.

I have issues.

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 8:34 pm

So you're the one who saw that film...

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:36 pm

I'm sure it was infinitely better than "Cool As Ice".

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:37 pm

She may even be the one on this thread I can talk to that doesn't just jump to conclusions prematurely. I wonder if anyone else has the ability to think before they assume. Maybe for the people nostalgic for the 70s/80s that's just too hard  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 8:38 pm

There we go.  I knew it was either her or Luke that was like an old fart when they did that show.

I have issues.

Lots of people wanted to bang Luke, and Shannon, and Jennie.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:38 pm

Garbrielle Carteris is actually in her mid-late 50s.  Carteris was in her early-mid 30s when she was on 90210.

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00304290/strangers-with-candy-amy-sedaris-0.jpg

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:38 pm

Lots of people wanted to bang Luke, and Shannon, and Jennie.

Sometimes all three at the same time....

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:40 pm

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00304290/strangers-with-candy-amy-sedaris-0.jpg

;D ;D ;D

Bad copy, but....

WmiKQspR0wU

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 8:40 pm

Sometimes all three at the same time....

Nice!

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/12 at 8:41 pm

I wanted to bang Shannen Doherty when she was on that show 'Our House' in the late 80s.  I'd still bang her now ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Shannen_Doherty.jpg/464px-Shannen_Doherty.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:42 pm

And it was actually pretty good.

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:43 pm

I wanted to bang Shannen Doherty when she was on that show 'Our House' in the late 80s.  I'd still bang her now ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Shannen_Doherty.jpg/464px-Shannen_Doherty.jpg

I remember that show!  It was fantastically cheesy!  The episode I remember is when she was in the airplane and there was an earthquake below and they were flipping out about it or something.

With good ol' Wilford "diabeetus" Brimley.

Written By: warped on 09/17/12 at 8:44 pm

He was the 80s version of Grandpa Walton.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:44 pm

I remember that show!  It was fantastically cheesy!  The episode I remember is when she was in the airplane and there was an earthquake below and they were flipping out about it or something.

Would you bang Wilford "Diabeetus" Brimley too?  :o :o :o

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:45 pm

I was going to say something about mustache rides, but there are children about, so.......

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/12 at 8:46 pm

It's the right thing to do

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:47 pm

And it was actually pretty good.

And you know what...YOU decided that the film was good in your opinion. Did I say that you, Warped or anyone else HAD to like it? NO! And you know what...if that was the only thing you liked about the 90s...that's fine with me. I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion...although it really is a good skill to have to actually know the context of what is being said before making someone look like an opinion-forcer.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:49 pm

And you know what...YOU decided that the film was good in your opinion. Did I say that you, Warped or anyone else HAD to like it? NO! And you know what...if that was the only thing you liked about the 90s...that's fine with me. I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion...although it really is a good skill to have to actually know the context of what is being said before making someone look like an opinion-forcer.

Save the drama for your mama.  :P

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/17/12 at 8:54 pm

Save the drama for your mama.  :P

Are you trying to expose yourself as a virtue-lacking human being? Because if you are, you are doing a very good job. How would you like it if someone said that your mother deserves to have drama?

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 8:57 pm

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/Vampireshadow93/Gifs/tumblr_lzxcoyc3fA1qjygm8o1_500.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 8:59 pm

Are you trying to expose yourself as a virtue-lacking human being? Because if you are, you are doing a very good job. How would you like it if someone said that your mother deserves to have drama?

I know what you're trying to do, and it's not happening.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/17/12 at 9:29 pm

Shannen was the hottest Heather and I still think she's pretty.  :)

Written By: Starde on 09/17/12 at 9:37 pm

Shannen was the hottest Heather and I still think she's pretty.  :)

I love Heathers! Haven't watched that in awhile. I heard a couple days ago that they're adapting a TV show from that movie on Bravo. Don't know how I feel about that... :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 09/17/12 at 9:43 pm

I love Heathers! Haven't watched that in awhile. I heard a couple days ago that they're adapting a TV show from that movie on Bravo. Don't know how I feel about that... :-\\

I'd tell you how I feel about it, but it would all be bleeped out by the word censor on here. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/17/12 at 9:48 pm

Y'know I never have seen Heathers, but I've heard it was based on an obscure 1976 movie called Massacre At Central High, which no one has seen (since they won't f**king release it on DVD!  >:() but is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Written By: Tam on 09/17/12 at 9:55 pm

I'd tell you how I feel about it, but it would all be bleeped out by the word censor on here. ;D

I think it was BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP and BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP I mean, BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP and  BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP!! Truly BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP for real!

:D ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/12 at 11:43 pm

This.  Can we please get back to talking about inner-sideboob?

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 6:47 am

And guess what. I've NEVER said that anyone should like the 90s or not like the 80s or 70s like these people appear to imply.

Hey you have your favorite decades and I have mine. ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 6:48 am

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 6:51 am

I'll bang her first.

BANG!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 6:53 am

Will the originals appear in the show? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:05 am

and she looked it.....way back then!  :o

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:11 am

I keep running into Chad Allen in Beverly Hills... like all the time!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:11 am

only if there were a bowl of quaker oats by the bed!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:12 am

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/Vampireshadow93/Gifs/tumblr_lzxcoyc3fA1qjygm8o1_500.gif

I wasted my karma for you elsewhere in this thread  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:17 am

I'm sooooo sorry I went to sleep!  That was a fun ride...

and you're welcome! I told you it was John Avery.  Too bad we didn't get to the point where he started calling us sluts and stuff.  :P 

I like how the only person to question the mention of John Avery is our newest member...you would think that the person I accused of being John Avery would deny it or at least feign ignorance!  ::) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/12 at 11:12 am

Nice weather we are having.

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/18/12 at 11:16 am

I'm sooooo sorry I went to sleep!  That was a fun ride...

and you're welcome! I told you it was John Avery.  Too bad we didn't get to the point where he started calling us sluts and stuff.  :P 

I like how the only person to question the mention of John Avery is our newest member...you would think that the person I accused of being John Avery would deny it or at least feign ignorance!  ::)

I haven't been called a slut in a long time. Those were the days... :D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 11:51 am

;D  could happen.... he referred to  Al-B  as she...  was I the only one who caught that?

She may even be the one on this thread I can talk to that doesn't just jump to conclusions prematurely. I wonder if anyone else has the ability to think before they assume. Maybe for the people nostalgic for the 70s/80s that's just too hard  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: warped on 09/18/12 at 1:34 pm

;D  could happen.... he referred to  Al-B  as she...  was I the only one who caught that?

No, I caught that too. I just didn't say anything. At that point it was a waste of time to argue with a troubled troll.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 2:16 pm

only if there were a bowl of quaker oats by the bed!  :D

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 2:17 pm

like a male slut?

Written By: warped on 09/18/12 at 2:34 pm

like a male slut?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/t_fred_garvin_304.jpg

Remember the SNL sketch?

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 3:45 pm

I think IMO the 80's had more of a nostalgic feel than the 90's.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/18/12 at 3:59 pm

I think IMO the 80's had more of a nostalgic feel than the 90's.

The early 90's - I think up till 1993 do have, too. After around 20 years, a time in the past becomes somewhat nostalgic.

Written By: StrawberrySundae on 09/18/12 at 4:21 pm

The early 90's - I think up till 1993 do have, too. After around 20 years, a time in the past becomes somewhat nostalgic.

I can relate to that. Personally, the 80s is my time, but up until 1995 maybe give or take 2 years things are pretty nostalgic for myself. Changes seem to happen fast these days, at least electronically so I have a temptation to say 15-17 years is the benchmark for me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/18/12 at 4:40 pm

I am not now, nor will I ever be, nostalgic for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdtXjRPF2DI&feature=related

:P

Written By: Jessica on 09/18/12 at 5:20 pm

KILL IT!  KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 5:32 pm

KILL IT!  KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

burn baby burn!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/12 at 6:13 pm

burn baby burn!

Disco Inferno

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 09/18/12 at 6:17 pm

Disco Inferno

Cat

AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......earworm!

A_sY2rjxq6M

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/12 at 6:36 pm

AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......earworm!

A_sY2rjxq6M

Are you calling me a "Trammp"?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/18/12 at 8:32 pm

I wasted my karma for you elsewhere in this thread  :D

Got her for ya! lol

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/18/12 at 8:39 pm

I used to hate that I didn't even have AOL.  :P

Written By: belmont22 on 09/18/12 at 10:00 pm

Early 90s 'somewhat' nostalgic? Haha it was over 20 years ago! People act like everyone was texting and using Facebook already in 1991.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 10:22 pm

Got her for ya! lol

Thank you karma delivered.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/18/12 at 10:46 pm

I had AOL long enough for the free trial to run out then I went somewhere better.  Don't quite remember where, but I know it was different. ;D 

I remember that it was super expensive.  They wanted more than I pay now for cable internet.  And it wasn't even a 56K modem.  Insane.

Yeah, 41 here and no nostalgia for the 90's at all. 

Written By: Starde on 09/19/12 at 2:02 am

Do I even want to know what happened to 90s was the Gold? :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/19/12 at 3:22 am

Early 90s 'somewhat' nostalgic? Haha it was over 20 years ago! People act like everyone was texting and using Facebook already in 1991.  ;D

Yes, it was 20 years ago. But 20 years is nothing if you can actually remember that time. It is also not too long ago that any year that had a 199X in it seemed modern to me. It's not that pre-texting and pre-facebook is everything that makes people feel nostalgic.

However I definetly start to feel nostalgia for 1990-93. From 1995 on it is still a bit harder.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 3:48 am

Yes, it was 20 years ago. But 20 years is nothing if you can actually remember that time. It is also not too long ago that any year that had a 199X in it seemed modern to me. It's not that pre-texting and pre-facebook is everything that makes people feel nostalgic.

However I definetly start to feel nostalgia for 1990-93. From 1995 on it is still a bit harder.

So you're 26 and you've only just started to feel nostalgic for when you were 4?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/19/12 at 4:18 am

So you're 26 and you've only just started to feel nostalgic for when you were 4?

Yes. I didn't care a lot about my childhood during the 2000's - it still seemed a bit to recent. I still feel not much nostalgia for my mid/late childhood (ca. 95-98), but I know that it's slowly creeping in.

That's also the reason why I can't really understand how (not even) 18-year-old people regularly show-up in this forum and get nostalgic for their childhood. But everybody is different...

Once 2010 hit (a new decade) I realized how long ago my early-mid childhood actually was and I started to watch photos again and thought about how much has changed since then. And that was when my childhood really was 2 decades ago - not earlier.

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 6:20 am

My mom was born in 1962.

She is nostalgic mainly for the 1970's. Back then, she wore bell bottoms and belly shirts.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:38 am

The 90's for me was graduating High School, and going into a vocational program.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:39 am

Man that was sure an annoying sound.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:41 am

I hated when my family was on the phone while I was online.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:43 am

People were playing with their gameboys at this time.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:44 am

Do I even want to know what happened to 90s was the Gold? :P

No I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 6:45 am

My mom was born in 1962.

She is nostalgic mainly for the 1970's. Back then, she wore bell bottoms and belly shirts.

My Parents were born in the 1940's and they're nostalgic for the doo-wop era.

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 6:52 am

My Parents were born in the 1940's and they're nostalgic for the doo-wop era.

That's cool. I love multiple decades. Actually, my favorite eras are Regency, Edwardian, and the 1920's. I would have loved being an Edwardian lady. :] I like Victorian too, but not as much. I am a history nerd.

Written By: joeman on 09/19/12 at 8:21 am

I was 10 years old in 1995, so I am really nostalgic of the time period between 1995-2001.  I don't understand how anyone can be nostalgic about there life before the age of 10.  I remember music from the early 90s, but to me I would never jam out to it.  Heck, the only thing I would reminisce in the late 80s/early 90s is the kids cartoon shows like Super Mario Bros and TMNT. 

I do think some of the younger people are overextending their reach as far as nostalgia is concerned and IMO it seems the same people are really having a heap of sheesh in their personal lives and use this whole "90s kids" thing as an escape.  Here is some of the observations I see:

*Anyone born after 199X is not a 90s kid...

*The 00s and the 10s suck...

*Why the 90s are the best...

*2010s are going to have a 90s vibe

*etc...

It is really funny too, because you will almost never see a thread about the 90s music or movies, but you would see lots of "90s kids" threads... which is sad because I want to see actual threads of movies, films, actors that made it big in the 90s, not some circle-jerk debate about remembering a time when you were 5.

Examples of threads I want to see....

*What Bruce Campbell movie is the best?

*Favorite Ace of Base song?

Examples I hate seeing this board

*What age do you have to be to appreciate the 90s?  *****BORING******

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 10:46 am

I was 10 years old in 1995, so I am really nostalgic of the time period between 1995-2001.  I don't understand how anyone can be nostalgic about there life before the age of 10.  I remember music from the early 90s, but to me I would never jam out to it.  Heck, the only thing I would reminisce in the late 80s/early 90s is the kids cartoon shows like Super Mario Bros and TMNT. 

I do think some of the younger people are overextending their reach as far as nostalgia is concerned and IMO it seems the same people are really having a heap of sheesh in their personal lives and use this whole "90s kids" thing as an escape.  Here is some of the observations I see:

*etc...

It is really funny too, because you will almost never see a thread about the 90s music or movies, but you would see lots of "90s kids" threads... which is sad because I want to see actual threads of movies, films, actors that made it big in the 90s, not some circle-jerk debate about remembering a time when you were 5.

I feel embarrassed when I see people arguing about whether or not they are a "90's kid." I have posted in threads like that before just to add my two cents, but I think the debate is petty.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/12 at 10:46 am

I have issues.

http://www.starscolor.com/images/luke-perry-04.jpg
Hey you're not the only one who wanted to go boom boom with Luke! ;)  Every girl I knew wanted to go boom boom with Luke actually.  ;)
I had a pink binder with hole punch holes in the side and I wrote I <3 Luke all over it.  Now some 20 years later I asked my mother "mom what the hell was I thinking?"?  My mom said "you were a teenager."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/19/12 at 1:41 pm

*etc...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/applause.gif

Written By: warped on 09/19/12 at 3:19 pm

Agreed,
Well written, Jim. (even though I don't recognize the name "Bruce Campbell".)  ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 09/19/12 at 3:47 pm

*etc...

Agreed the "'90s kid" thing is a bunch of crap, the fact is most of it comes from people too young to remember anything from the '90s so all they got to talk about is harp on about being a "'90s kid".  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 09/19/12 at 4:00 pm

Ditto that!

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/19/12 at 4:02 pm

I was born on June 11th, 1982 and why shouldn't I be nostalgic for being 5? When I was 5 in 1987 I could watch shows like the Care Bears play on the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) with my best friend Sally and listen to Belinda Carlisle on the radio. Besides at 5 you didn't have to worry about the stupid money game with the rest of the world - bills, mortgages, loans...you could just have fun!  I take 1987, 1988 and 1989 over anything else any day of the week, any week on the month. The 90s was cool too and even though people born in the early 80s like me are a bit too young to be "middle aged" yet I am even nostalgic for 1999. But I am nostalgic for the 80s more. Care Bears countdown!

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 5:47 pm

I was born on June 11th, 1982 and why shouldn't I be nostalgic for being 5? When I was 5 in 1987 I could watch shows like the Care Bears play on the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) with my best friend Sally and listen to Belinda Carlisle on the radio. Besides at 5 you didn't have to worry about the stupid money game with the rest of the world - bills, mortgages, loans...you could just have fun!  I take 1987, 1988 and 1989 over anything else any day of the week, any week on the month. The 90s was cool too and even though people born in the early 80s like me are a bit too young to be "middle aged" yet I am even nostalgic for 1999. But I am nostalgic for the 80s more. Care Bears countdown!

Care Bears used to be one of my favorite cartoons. I could probably still sing the theme song if I wanted. XD

Written By: snozberries on 09/19/12 at 6:13 pm

Agreed,
Well written, Jim. (even though I don't recognize the name "Bruce Campbell".)  ;)

burn Notice.... Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Adventures of Briscoe County Jr....

Written By: Jessica on 09/19/12 at 6:22 pm

burn Notice.... Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Adventures of Briscoe County Jr....

Jack of All Trades, My Name Is Bruce, Bubba Ho-Tep..........

Written By: Jessica on 09/19/12 at 6:24 pm

Oh!  Oh!  And the Old Spice commercial!

Yg6bZSM48vU

:D

Written By: warped on 09/19/12 at 6:25 pm

Jack of All Trades, My Name Is Bruce, Bubba Ho-Tep..........

I recognize some of those, thanks ladies.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:25 pm

Oh!  Oh!  And the Old Spice commercial!

Yg6bZSM48vU

:D

;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 11:31 pm

Personally:

IMO

I'm much younger (17) but I think nostalgia through the roof for me was 2002-2005 and some nostalgia was from 2005 to 2010.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/29/12 at 1:31 am

I'm just far too young for feeling nostalgic for the 1990s.  I was in my teens to early 20s in the 1990s.  I hated every minute of it sometimes.  Been there, done that, never want to do that again.  :P

Written By: belmont22 on 09/29/12 at 8:20 am

I'm just far too young for feeling nostalgic for the 1990s.  I was in my teens to early 20s in the 1990s.  I hated every minute of it sometimes.  Been there, done that, never want to do that again.  :P

I wonder why people in their teens and even 20s seem nostalgic for the 80s. Like people born in the 1950's and 1960's.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/29/12 at 8:32 am

I wonder why people in their teens and even 20s seem nostalgic for the 80s.

Because some people in their 20's lived in the 80's and can relate to some stuff - especially holdovers.

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 9:50 am

I wonder why people in their teens and even 20s seem nostalgic for the 80s. Like people born in the 1950's and 1960's.

because they have no life....

older folks who are nostalgic for the old days have lived and experienced life. They long for something they truly miss (or missed out on) because hindsight is 20/20.

the people nostalgic for 90s have yet to really know what they are missing because they haven't really begun to experience all that life has to offer.

all I know is in 1996 I was sitting around woe-is-me-ing the fact that we weren't in the 80s. I was out having fun and living life....

right now the only thing I'm nostalgic for is a world with less 90s nostaligics in it....  ::)

Written By: belmont22 on 09/29/12 at 10:56 am

Because some people in their 20's lived in the 80's and can relate to some stuff - especially holdovers.

Oh I meant why people who were teens and 20s during the 80s seem to like the 80s while people that age in the 90s seem to not be nostalgic for anything much later than 1989.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 3:59 pm

Me too I was going into my 20's in the early 1990's.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:04 pm

I seem nostalgic for the 80's and I'm close to 40.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/29/12 at 4:05 pm

Me too I was going into my 20's in the early 1990's.

Time flies doesn't it?

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 5:53 pm

Time flies doesn't it?

can't believe 20 years go by like that.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/30/12 at 3:33 pm

can't believe 20 years go by like that.  :o

Me either.  I had to grow up before I was ready to grow up so I didn't really have a childhood in the 80s to speak of.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/01/12 at 3:50 pm

My parents, who are both in their 50s, are sometimes nostalgic about certain things from the '90s.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/12 at 7:11 pm

My parents, who are both in their 50s, are sometimes nostalgic about certain things from the '90s.

My parents are nostalgic for the 50's.

Written By: warped on 10/01/12 at 7:42 pm

Interesting. My wife and I, (both approx 50 years old, or just a little younger than your parents) have just about 0 nostalgia for the 90s.
We are nostalgic for the 60s, 70s, and a little bit for the 80s.
Personally, I'm sorry to say there's little or nothing to get nostalgic for from the 90s (just my opinion).

Written By: snozberries on 10/01/12 at 9:17 pm

I think their nostalgic for the days when you were younger not really the 90s

Just speculation on my part.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/01/12 at 11:31 pm

My mom and dad are in their 60s.  Hippy flower children.  :)

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 5:54 am

I think their nostalgic for the days when you were younger not really the 90s

Just speculation on my part.

A 49 year old was still in their 20's for a good part of the 90's - that's younger I would say.

I think it has more to do with the fact the 90's was the beginning of (post?)modern pop culture.

Written By: warped on 10/02/12 at 6:48 am

A 49 year old was still in their 20's for a good part of the 90's - that's younger I would say.

As a current 49' er  ;D    I turned 30 in 1992.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 6:50 am

Ah so born in 1962 ... I guess I was thinking born in late 1963. Nearly half their 20's would have been in the 90's! So i would think some would be nostalgic  for it, if not for the music or movies at least for being still very young.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 6:54 am

My mom and dad are in their 60s.  Hippy flower children.  :)

My Mother And Father are from the Doo-Wop Era.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/12 at 10:13 am

I think it has more to do with the fact the 90's was the beginning of (post?)modern pop culture.

Math FTW!!!!

I don't know why you guys keep insisting people be nostalgic for the 90s... my point ot amjikloviet was that her parents are nostalgic for the days when their kids were still innocent not the actual experience of the 90s 

I was in my 20s through most of the 90s I remember fondly my experiences with my friends but I'm not nostalgic for it any way shape or form. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/12 at 10:20 am

Ah so born in 1962 ... I guess I was thinking born in late 1963. Nearly half their 20's would have been in the 90's! So i would think some would be nostalgic  for it, if not for the music or movies at least for being still very young.

If you're born at midnight on Dec 31th 1963 then you be 30 on midnight Dec 31 1993.  How is that 1/2 of their 20s? 

Maybe when we're in our 60s well be nostalgic for our 20s but honestly many of us just don't feel what you want us to feel for the 90s  We genuinely don't care... and if you polled most of the members here I'm sure you'd find most of us quite annoyed with all the 90s nostalgia.

Written By: meesa on 10/02/12 at 12:39 pm

If you're born at midnight on Dec 31th 1963 then you be 30 on midnight Dec 31 1993.  How is that 1/2 of their 20s? 

Maybe when we're in our 60s well be nostalgic for our 20s but honestly many of us just don't feel what you want us to feel for the 90s  We genuinely don't care... and if you polled most of the members here I'm sure you'd find most of us quite annoyed with all the 90s nostalgia.

I see where you are coming from-I am not nostalgic for a particular decade, just for the decade's sake-I am nostalgic for certain music, movies, or times in my life that affected me personally.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/12 at 12:41 pm

I see where you are coming from-I am not nostalgic for a particular decade, just for the decade's sake-I am nostalgic for certain music, movies, or times in my life that affected me personally.

that is both logical and reasonable!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 1:53 pm

I'm not nostalgic for a specific decade, I'm nostalgic like you.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 4:55 pm

Well to be fair this is probably an 80s-centric board  ;) But, no, I understand. I don't think my 20s will ever seem as long ago as my childhood or even my teens. It's difficult to be nostalgic for a time you remember with such clarity and understanding. I think mystery and the supposed innocence of childhood is what makes a time feel nostalgic.

December 31, 1993 would mean you were in your 20s for 4 out of 10 years of the 90's. I would qualify that as 'almost half' wouldn't you? I don't feel you should feel nostalgic for the 90's if you don't like them, I'm just a bit surprised that you don't even miss being young! Because 26-29 is very very young despite what pop culture has us believe.  :)

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 5:19 pm

Well to be fair this is probably an 80s-centric board  ;) But, no, I understand. I don't think my 20s will ever seem as long ago as my childhood or even my teens. It's difficult to be nostalgic for a time you remember with such clarity and understanding. I think mystery and the supposed innocence of childhood is what makes a time feel nostalgic.

December 31, 1993 would mean you were in your 20s for 4 out of 10 years of the 90's. I would qualify that as 'almost half' wouldn't you? I don't feel you should feel nostalgic for the 90's if you don't like them, I'm just a bit surprised that you don't even miss being young! Because 26-29 is very very young despite what pop culture has us believe.  :)

Especially when a lady once lived to 122.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/12 at 5:39 pm

I did a lot of stupid things when I was young.... I appreciate the maturity and greater coping skills that come with being an adult.

Did I have good times? Yes

Do I remember then fondly? Most of the time

Do I wish I could go back? Only with the knowledge I possess now (and I'd rather go back to the 80s)

Would I want to do it all over again? nope...no way....not unless I have the knowledge I have now

Do I miss the old days? Not at all... not the 70s not the 80s not the 90s not the 00s not Dec 7 1967 to Dec 31 1969.... nope.... I don't have time to revel in the past. I appreciate the experience (good and bad) but I prefer to live the here and now (good and bad)

I would say it's an age thing but I don't remember ever being and needily nostalgic as you decadolists  -  for some reason it seems like all you guys are capable of talking about.  I don't recall ever sitting around with friends when I was in my 20s waxing poetic about the 70s or 80s. we didn't analyze decades to death. we just appreciated where things were going...

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/03/12 at 10:42 am

Although I've seen definitions for middle-aged as young as 35, let's use 40 as a benchmark, which today would be a 1972er who was 18-27 during the 90's, which is prime young adulthood. Sure, they won't be nostalgic for kids things like Nickelodeon, Power Rangers, Yikes! and such, but I'm sure they liked Seinfeld, Mariah Carey, and many movies that came out during that era, and some may enjoy the grunge of their college years. It all matters if they enjoyed it when it was current and most importantly if they do now.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/12 at 12:35 pm

Although I've seen definitions for middle-aged as young as 35, let's use 40 as a benchmark, which today would be a 1972er who was 18-27 during the 90's, which is prime young adulthood. Sure, they won't be nostalgic for kids things like Nickelodeon, Power Rangers, Yikes! and such, but I'm sure they liked Seinfeld, Mariah Carey, and many movies that came out during that era, and some may enjoy the grunge of their college years. It all matters if they enjoyed it when it was current and most importantly if they do now.

liking something is different than being nostalgic for it....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/12 at 12:10 am

The eighties much more so than the nineties, although the nineties have their own nostalgia for me as the years fly by.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 12:15 am

The eighties much more so than the nineties, although the nineties have their own nostalgia for me as the years fly by.

I guess since the early 90s are 20 years ago, it's hard to lump them in with "today" at all anymore. Even as late as 2005, you could still almost kind of do that, 13 years isn't very long at all but 20 years is enough that none of today's children or teenagers even existed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/12 at 12:29 am

I guess since the early 90s are 20 years ago, it's hard to lump them in with "today" at all anymore. Even as late as 2005, you could still almost kind of do that, 13 years isn't very long at all but 20 years is enough that none of today's children or teenagers even existed.

Whereas I have a lot of nostalgia about eighties pop culture, my nineties nostalgia.  Is much more based on Going to college.  Dropping out of college.  Drifting.  Going back to college.  Social life, jobs, girlfriends, lack of girlfriends, travel, and so forth.  My nineties nostalgia is steeped in music, but a lot of it is obscure stuff I was playing on my radio show at the time.  I mean, that's how it goes with the music I like.  I could say, "Oh yeah, that Alvin Lucier double cd by the Barton Workshop on New World Records really reminds me of 2005!  Then people are like, uhhhh, okay.
???

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 12:34 am

Whereas I have a lot of nostalgia about eighties pop culture, my nineties nostalgia.  Is much more based on Going to college.  Dropping out of college.  Drifting.  Going back to college.  Social life, jobs, girlfriends, lack of girlfriends, travel, and so forth.  My nineties nostalgia is steeped in music, but a lot of it is obscure stuff I was playing on my radio show at the time.  I mean, that's how it goes with the music I like.  I could say, "Oh yeah, that Alvin Lucier double cd by the Barton Workshop on New World Records really reminds me of 2005!  Then people are like, uhhhh, okay.
???

That makes sense, most of the music I like borders between obscure and mainstream, even the 80's music I like that came out before I was born. I'm a pop fan but I'm pretty discriminate, I like the pop sound but I dislike anything that sounds too strongly generic if that makes sense.

When I look back on the 2010s, a decade that is more or less exactly equal to my 20s I will probably miss M83, Kimbra and Ellie Goulding and not so much Pitbull or Rihanna. Though then again, I have a feeling that people will remember the 10's more for the former rather than the latter, just like the 80's are more remembered for Wang Chung and Talking Heads than they are for Asia or REO Speedwagon.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 12:35 am

I actually like the 2010s better than the 2000s because I'm not the basket case I was in my preteens and teens and I prefer the overall style of today. I quite like how colorful and 'girly' this decade is, I found the 2000's kind of dark.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 7:20 am

I'm more of an 80's guy than a 90's one.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/07/12 at 9:38 pm

Most '90s nostalgia is millennials who were born in the late '80s or early '90s nostalgic for their childhood.  Its kind of strange how few older people are fond of the time.  A lot of people are nostalgic for the '70s and '80s but few the '90s. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/12 at 10:57 pm

I had a dream last night about the apocalypse. And oddly enough I seemed to answer what's bugging me about this topic

In my dream the survivors talked about the good Old days & I thought that's when you become nostalgic. It's when become nostalgic.  When you long for something you can never have or experience again.

I get being nostalgic for moments in the past. A certain experience w/ family or friends. A certain feeling. The exuberance of youth. The carefree days when you had few responsibilities and nothing to worry about. 

What I don't get is this nostalgia for a particular era or decade.  There is no apocalypse (yet).  We live in time where the things you desire most are readily available to you.  If the 90s ate your thing then get on YouTube or the Internet and indulge yourself in a way we never could for the 80s but stop whining about them being gone.

The 90s may be over but they aren't dead. They are merely a mouse click away.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/08/12 at 1:25 am

Most '90s nostalgia is millennials who were born in the late '80s or early '90s nostalgic for their childhood.  Its kind of strange how few older people are fond of the time.  A lot of people are nostalgic for the '70s and '80s but few the '90s.

Indeed. It seems like even people born in the mid 80's are mostly just nostalgic for the early years of the 90's. I could understand the "90s were more or less no different from today" argument as late as 2009 but now that we're well into a new era, well about 3 years into one it's kind of weird so few people who were more than small children in the 90's miss them.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/08/12 at 2:53 am

Indeed. It seems like even people born in the mid 80's are mostly just nostalgic for the early years of the 90's.

I am nostalgic for the 90's up till 1995 or so. 1996-99 is just 13-16 years ago and I was also older and the memories are 'like-yesterday' memories. It's harder to get nostalgic for such a time.

However it's funny that I am a bit nostalgic for 2000-04, but that's more of a teenage nostalgia which is a bit different.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/08/12 at 6:23 am

I am nostalgic for the 90's up till 1995 or so. 1996-99 is just 13-16 years ago and I was also older and the memories are 'like-yesterday' memories. It's harder to get nostalgic for such a time.

However it's funny that I am a bit nostalgic for 2000-04, but that's more of a teenage nostalgia which is a bit different.

That's true, I'm not really nostalgic for the early 00's at all but I am for the mid and late 00's a bit. So I can sort of understand. The 90s on the other hand was my small childhood, even 1999.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/12 at 6:26 am

Had my heartache and my fun in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90, and 00s, I expect it will be the same in the 10s.  I miss them, wouldn't change them, but I wouldn't wish them back either.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/12 at 6:35 am

Cause the 70's and 80's were a special time for us Generation X'ers.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 1:40 pm

Yeah I was talking to someone born in 1975 the other day about the 90s and he said he was too old for them! Kinda weird considering he was still a kid for a decent chunk of them and only 24 at the very end. Then again though, I'm only 22 and there's people younger than me who feel too old for this time so I guess maybe people just grow old in mind faster these days.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/12 at 3:31 pm

I think i'll go for a walk outside now
the summer sun's callin my name
(i hear ya now)
i just can't stay inside all day
i gotta get out get me some of those rays
everybody's smilin
sunshine day
everybody's laughin
sunshine day
everybody seems so happy today
it's a sunshine day

Cat

Written By: Forest on 10/27/12 at 3:47 pm

I had a dream last night about the apocalypse. And oddly enough I seemed to answer what's bugging me about this topic

In my dream the survivors talked about the good Old days & I thought that's when you become nostalgic. It's when become nostalgic.  When you long for something you can never have or experience again.

I get being nostalgic for moments in the past. A certain experience w/ family or friends. A certain feeling. The exuberance of youth. The carefree days when you had few responsibilities and nothing to worry about. 

What I don't get is this nostalgia for a particular era or decade.  There is no apocalypse (yet).  We live in time where the things you desire most are readily available to you.  If the 90s ate your thing then get on YouTube or the Internet and indulge yourself in a way we never could for the 80s but stop whining about them being gone.

The 90s may be over but they aren't dead. They are merely a mouse click away.

Television shows and objects from the 90s may still be here, but you can't bring back someone who is no longer alive and have a conversation with them today. You can't snap your fingers and be back at school with your childhood friends. So I can't blame anyone for having a hard time coping with the fact that the era is gone.

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/12 at 5:42 pm

Television shows and objects from the 90s may still be here, but you can't bring back someone who is no longer alive and have a conversation with them today. You can't snap your fingers and be back at school with your childhood friends. So I can't blame anyone for having a hard time coping with the fact that the era is gone.

Missing someone who's passed or longing to talk to old friends is something everyone can relate to. It has nothing to do with a specific decade or age group.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/12 at 5:44 pm

I think i'll go for a walk outside now
the summer sun's callin my name
(i hear ya now)
i just can't stay inside all day
i gotta get out get me some of those rays
everybody's smilin
sunshine day
everybody's laughin
sunshine day
everybody seems so happy today
it's a sunshine day

Cat

Flying down the highway in my makeshift Model T.A.
Woo! yeah! woo...
It's a beautiful morning
and it's gonna be a beautiful day

The wheels are humming
and the guitar's strumming
and the radio is blasting
and good sounds are coming
as we're flying down the highway in a makeshift Model T.A.

We're gonna keep on, keep on, keep on, keep on dancing all through the night.
We're gonna keep on, keep on, keep on doing it right
We're gonna keep on, keep on , keep on movin
Gonna keep on, keep on, keep on grooving
Keep on singing and dancing all through the night

You can hear the music coming 26 miles away
Woo! yeah.. woo!
Smiling is happy :)
And happy is here to stay

Shifting on down
Coming into town
Waving at the kids all hanging around
Cruising down the bay in my makeshift model T.A.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/12 at 6:13 pm

Flying down the highway in my makeshift Model T.A.
Woo! yeah! woo...
It's a beautiful morning
and it's gonna be a beautiful day

The wheels are humming
and the guitar's strumming
and the radio is blasting
and good sounds are coming
as we're flying down the highway in a makeshift Model T.A.

You can hear the music coming 26 miles away
Woo! yeah.. woo!
Smiling is happy :)
And happy is here to stay

Shifting on down
Coming into town
Waving at the kids all hanging around
Cruising down the bay in my makeshift model T.A.

Sha na na na, na na na na na, sha na na na na

Autumn turns to winter,
And winter turns to spring.
It doesn't go just for seasons you know,
It goes for everything.

The same is true for voices,
When boys begin to grow.
You gotta take a lesson from Mother Nature,
And if you do you'll know.

When it's time to change, then its time to change
Don't fight the tide, come along for the ride, don't you see
When it's time to change, you've got to rearrange
who you are into what you're gonna be.

Day by day, it's hard to see the changes you've been through
A little bit of living, a little bit of growing all adds up to you
Every boy's a man inside, a girl's a woman too
And if you wanna reach your destiny, here's what you've got to do

Autumn turns to winter,
It goes for everything.

When boys begin to grow.

(You know THIS one was coming. lol)

Cat

Written By: Forest on 10/27/12 at 6:29 pm

Missing someone who's passed or longing to talk to old friends is something everyone can relate to. It has nothing to do with a specific decade or age group.  ::)

I think you missed the point. What if the particular person died in 1999? The 90s, they were around. The 00s, they weren't.  ::)

Written By: warped on 10/27/12 at 7:07 pm

Autumn turns to winter,
It goes for everything.

When boys begin to grow.

Day by day, it's hard to see the changes you've been through
A little bit of living, a little bit of growing all adds up to you
Every boy's a man inside, a girl's a woman too
And if you wanna reach your destiny, here's what you've got to do

Autumn turns to winter,
It goes for everything.

When boys begin to grow.

(You know THIS one was coming. lol)

Cat

Aww, my wife and I love this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyooALwfxO8

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 7:12 pm

once an era is gone the only thing you can do is reminisce about the times.

Written By: Forest on 10/27/12 at 7:19 pm

once an era is gone the only thing you can do is reminisce about the times.

Except there is scientific theory to suggest the possibility of time travel. Besides, plenty of those that miss the 90s had to grow up hearing people in their community endlessly go on about how great they thought the 60s/70s were and how they wished they could be back in that time.

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/12 at 10:58 am

I think you missed the point. What if the particular person died in 1999? The 90s, they were around. The 00s, they weren't.  ::)

I was gonna reply to this then I noticed Tam finally banned your ass... Yay Tam!

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/12 at 3:13 pm

I was thinking, my mom was only 26 when the 90's started and I was born, really not much older than I am now!  :o She's almost 50 now so really nearly half her life has taken place since the 80s ended! A person turning 40 today was only 17 in 1990 and only 27 in 2000.

Even if you're 60, back in the early 90s you were still a rather youthful late 30s and might have seemed very young, think of someone like Jerry Seinfeld.

With the better economy, a pop culture that was still somewhat adult-friendly, and quite a bit less advanced technology, do you think middle aged people today would see the 90's as the 'good old days'? Maybe not to the same extent as the 70's or 80's, but at least compared to today and this century?

'90s nostalgia is mostly for people around your age give or take a few years.  It's for people that were either in grade school or teenagers during the '90s.  I notice it has specifically caught on with those born between 1987 and 1993.  Middle aged people currently in their 40s are generally more nostalgic for the '70s or '80s.  As far as pop culture, most people are nostalgic for "their time", generally being their school years when things were simpler.  In 20 years, I can imagine I will be nostalgic for the '90s and '00s but I am not sure I will be the '10s.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/28/12 at 5:49 pm

'90s nostalgia is mostly for people around your age give or take a few years.  It's for people that were either in grade school or teenagers during the '90s.  I notice it has specifically caught on with those born between 1987 and 1993.  Middle aged people currently in their 40s are generally more nostalgic for the '70s or '80s.  As far as pop culture, most people are nostalgic for "their time", generally being their school years when things were simpler.  In 20 years, I can imagine I will be nostalgic for the '90s and '00s but I am not sure I will be the '10s.

Even people born in the later 70s seem to often only miss the 80's but don't really care for the 90's or even if they did like it, view it as too recent to miss.

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 6:34 am

It's all subjective again, but

When I lived through the 1970s, I missed the 60s
When I lived through the 1980s, I missed the 70s
When I lived through the 1990s, I missed the 80s
When I lived through the 2000s, I didn't miss the 1990s
Now in the 2010s, I don't miss the 1990s and I don't miss the 2000s

I view the 1990s and 2000s as either too recent, or nothing ( maybe not much) in those decades cause me to miss them.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 6:47 am

It's all subjective again, but

When I lived through the 1970s, I missed the 60s
When I lived through the 1980s, I missed the 70s
When I lived through the 1990s, I missed the 80s
When I lived through the 2000s, I didn't miss the 1990s
Now in the 2010s, I don't miss the 1990s and I don't miss the 2000s

I view the 1990s and 2000s as either too recent, or nothing ( maybe not much) in those decades cause me to miss them.

I think once you get well into your 20's you simply start caring less about pop culture, and care more about your personal life, your children, your spouse, etc. Maybe that's why?  :)

I mean, I never loved the 1990s or 2000s much, but I kinda miss them a bit now. I am almost 23 and I don't really love the 2010s, even though I do like a small amount of music now such as Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City.

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 1:33 pm

I think once you get well into your 20's you simply start caring less about pop culture, and care more about your personal life, your children, your spouse, etc. Maybe that's why?  :)

That's a small part of it. I just wasn't interested in the music of the 90s. Tried to listen to it, nothing interested me. And it still doesn't. It probably never will.

Same for most TV shows in the 90s. There were a few gems here and there (Simpsons, Wonder Years) . Some of the more popular shows of the 90s (like Saved by the bell, Roseanne, Home improvement, Married with Children, Xfiles, Star Trek TNG and Fresh Prince)  didn't interest me at all.

Again, that's just my personal opinion and no offense intended to those who liked TV & music in the 90s.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 2:55 pm

That's a small part of it. I just wasn't interested in the music of the 90s. Tried to listen to it, nothing interested me. And it still doesn't. It probably never will.

Same for most TV shows in the 90s. There were a few gems here and there (Simpsons, Wonder Years) . Some of the more popular shows of the 90s (like Saved by the bell, Roseanne, Home improvement, Married with Children, Xfiles, Star Trek TNG and Fresh Prince)  didn't interest me at all.

Again, that's just my personal opinion and no offense intended to those who liked TV & music in the 90s.

Did the um, obscenity of 90s culture turn you off? I generally find pop culture from the later 90s & early 00s more obscene/intentionally slutty/explicit/graphically violent than the stuff before and actually the stuff after as well. The 70s had some pretty gross horror movies and stuff but it wasn't all over the board trying to shock like 90s pop culture was, and the stuff that was cheesy good fun was often incredibly stupid (Macarena, Spice Girls, and so on).

Would you say pop culture has actually improved a bit in the past 15-20 years or do you dislike it even more now?

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 4:24 pm

Did the um, obscenity of 90s culture turn you off?

No.

Would you say pop culture has actually improved a bit in the past 15-20 years

No, but it's not worse either.

Written By: Denise Louise on 11/01/12 at 7:08 pm

I think so. I think nostalgia is tied to various memories and could be from any decade they were apart of.

Denise@DoYouRemember.com
www.DoYouRemember.com
www.Facebook.com/DoYouRememberOnline

Written By: GenXer on 11/08/12 at 10:28 pm

I'm "middle age" at the age of around 40. Personally, I'd rank the 1970s and 1980s as the "good old days,"  but I liked the 1990s as well. In the 1970s and 1980s I had no responsibilities what so ever except to play, do chores, and go to school. I was in my 20s through out the 90s and I had fun mainly because I was finally free from my parents and I took care of myself. I was getting laid a lot in the 1990s lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...