inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think people from the 90's would like the 10's?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 5:44 am

If someone from 1995 was sent to 2012, do you think they would like or dislike the current music, fashion, TV, etc? I think they'd be pretty happy that a lot of the 90's culture is still going strong but they'd probably dislike how colorful everything is and how everything is oriented towards only the very young.

Subject: Re: Do you think people from the 90's would like the 10's?

Written By: Emman on 10/02/12 at 3:53 pm

If someone from 1995 was sent to 2012, do you think they would like or dislike the current music, fashion, TV, etc? I think they'd be pretty happy that a lot of the 90's culture is still going strong but they'd probably dislike how colorful everything is and how everything is oriented towards only the very young.

Depending on the age of the person, but assuming they were a regular trendy teenager they would probably hate most of the pop culture, some that were into stuff like Nine Inch Nails could enjoy the hard brostep sounds but most of the music would strike them as inoffensive and saccharine, most of the music would sound very robotic and plastic too, like a nice electronic sheen was applied to every note and tone(autotune). The very uneven ratio of rock/R&B/rap vs. pop/dance in mainstream music could strike some of them as disappointing. This might be confusing to them given the enormous civil unrest and economic woes across the globe, the outer world is dark and ominous but pop culture stays bubbly in the face of it. :o Of course a lot of the technology would strike them as futuristic like tablet computers, everything would look way more slick. Fashion wise it would look like we are returning to the traditional gender roles with a big line drawn between what men wear and what women wear(this would be where the big difference is, in women's fashion that is).

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 4:09 pm

I was a teenager in 1995, and I wouldn't want to be a teenager for YOLO and the other nonsense. Seriously, it seems the target of pop culture these days is younger than it used to be. I wonder if that's the reason people think 2005 is the 'core' year of the 00s. The second half is all today's 12 year olds have good memory of.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/12 at 6:20 pm

Why would someone from 1995 be sent to 2012?

Written By: joeman on 10/02/12 at 6:24 pm

Stewie dimension jumped to this reality in 1995 and zapped a random person off 17 years later.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 10/02/12 at 6:54 pm

I don't think they would 8-P

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 10:43 pm

Time travel of course. Terrence McKenna suggested that time travel could be possible around this time. I'd be interested in going back to the 90s, or even the late 80s.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 6:44 am

I think they would like it.

Written By: Inertia on 10/03/12 at 8:14 am

I think the person would adjust to the new decade in time and learn to enjoy it but might experience something similar to culture shock at first.

Written By: Henk on 10/03/12 at 8:39 am

Time travel of course. Terrence McKenna suggested that time travel could be possible around this time. I'd be interested in going back to the 90s, or even the late 80s.

That's HOW, not WHY.

Anyway...this topic borders on decadeology.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/03/12 at 10:33 am

Americans wouldn't, since the 90's was when the US was the lone superpower. They'd be disappointed with the high gas prices and would ditch their SUVs/Minivans as soon as possible. By 1995, the Internet was already a reality with most people, but they would be surprised how much it has evolved. They would enjoy ditching antiquated technologies such as CDs, VHS, CRT monitors, and landline phones. They would probably be the most shocked in terms that almost everyone has some mobile device these days. Still, lots of stuff that was around then is still available today. Some will like it and some won't (especially the moral guardian people who hate an increase in tatoos, a decrease in manners/patience, and an increase in swearing).

Written By: nein to neinties on 10/03/12 at 1:36 pm

I'm gonna tell you what. If I were in 1995, I'd want to get out of the nineties as quick as anything and travel to another decade. The nineties were the worst decade in the past 100 years.  No nstaglia at all within that worthless decade.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/03/12 at 1:43 pm

That's HOW, not WHY.

Anyway...this topic borders on decadeology.

Well the why is because the 90s were awesome. And your going to achieve nothing by telling me that this borders on decadeology because I didn't actually create this thread. Better luck next time.

Written By: Henk on 10/03/12 at 1:53 pm

Well the why is because the 90s were awesome.

If the 90s were as awesome as you seem to think they were, why would anyone want to leave that decade? (To the future, no less! Wouldn't it make far more sense to travel BACK in time to relive the entire decade?)

And your going to achieve nothing by telling me that this borders on decadeology because I didn't actually create this thread. Better luck next time.

But you DID create that spelling error.

Besides, I wasn't pointing at you. It was merely an observation in general.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/03/12 at 3:18 pm

Some will like it and some won't (especially the moral guardian people who hate an increase in tatoos, a decrease in manners/patience, and an increase in swearing).

Though to be fair, these things were already underway by as early as 1986. For example the way the kids act in Stand By Me, portrays a very cynical picture of the 50's.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 7:13 pm

I think they would like the music.

Written By: Shiv on 10/04/12 at 10:51 am

I don't think they would at all. The processed music, the flamboyant clothes, the economic and political unrest......

Written By: preston181 on 10/06/12 at 3:24 pm

My first question would be, "Can the person from 1995 go back to 1995, and use the knowledge they gain from 2012? Like say, knowing about 9/11, knowing about how stupid reality TV becomes, or knowing where technology or financial opportunities will occur?" The time travel topic has always been one of my favorites...

Anyhow, if it were me jumping ahead, I'd be outraged at some of the changes, like the direction music has gone, where all the good TV shows and movies have gone, high gas prices, stupidity in politics, the downward spiral of intelligence as a result of the Internet and other media, and the elimination of some of my favorite 90's foods and businesses.

I would be fascinated, however, by the leap in technology. I'd probably be tempted to take back an iPad, and to invest heavily in Apple, back when their stock was trading for dirt cheap.

Check for new replies or respond here...