inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stabbing Westward

Written By: joeman on 10/09/12 at 8:35 am

What do you guys think of this band?  I didn't get into them in the 90s, but I found out about them here when there was a posting of best obscure 90s songs.  I did hear "Save Yourself" on the radio a lot, and for the longest time I thought it was Linkin Park. 

Also, I read that some compare this band to NIN, but I disagree.  Stabbing Westward seems to be more rock oriented while there is angst-ridden lyrics, I personally feel it isn't too much like NIN.

Subject: Re: Stabbing Westward

Written By: tv on 10/09/12 at 4:49 pm

They were part of the mid 90's Industrial Rock Trend with NIN and Filter. I remember "What Do I Have To Do" by them from 1996 I think. Brings back some memories that song. Haven't thought about Stabbing Westward since 2001 or 2002. They were still pretty popular in early 1998 with their CD "Darkest Days". They had a little influence from the bands "Depeche Mode" or "The Cure" you can hear I think.

Subject: Re: Stabbing Westward

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/12 at 6:20 pm

I remember Stabbing Westward, especially their Ungod record from 1994.  TV sums them up pretty well.  I wasn't a fan.  Thought they were Beavis and Butt-head level Industrial Pop.

Here is something from their Wikipedia page:

Christopher Hall and Walter Flakus formed the band Stabbing Westward when they were in college. They came up with the name while working at the college radio station WIUS-FM. In a 1996 interview, Hall stated, "Since we went to Western Illinois University, Stabbing Westward had a certain 'kill everybody in the school' vibe to it! The school's way out in farm country and the country is really close minded. I was walking around like Robert Smith with real big hair, big baggy black clothes, black fingernail polish and eye makeup. They just didn't get it. We hated the town.

Definitely a pre-Virginia Tech attitude!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...