inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are some nineties bands/artists you would consider legendary?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 9:32 am

Aside from Nirvana? I think there's definitely a lot of hip hop legends, Tupac, Biggie, Wu Tang Clan to name a few. Aside from that I think the 90s sort of lacks legends.

Subject: Re: What are some nineties bands/artists you would consider legendary?

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/12 at 9:55 am

Bands with tragic stories are only legendary because of the tragedy.  Nirvana are known by alot of people, but I bet you there are people out there who know both the names Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, but would not be able to tell you a title of a song they had.

I can think of two bands from the 90s that hold legendary status:  Oasis and Manic Street Preachers

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 9:57 am

Bands with tragic stories are only legendary because of the tragedy.  Nirvana are known by alot of people, but I bet you there are people out there who know both the names Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, but would not be able to tell you a title of a song they had.

I can think of two bands from the 90s that hold legendary status:  Oasis and Manic Street Preachers

That's true, tragedy tends to create legend. Even with the Beatles, they'd be legends even if all of them were still alive, but Lennon's tragic death is probably why he's the most popular Beatle.

Same with Jim Morrison/The Doors if he was still alive I think the Doors wouldn't be quite as legendary.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/12 at 11:31 am

Not only can I not easily name a nirvana song...I think I only know one

I cannot name anyone else in Nirvana (unless Courtney Love was a member too.

Pearl Jam I think is Eddie Veder and some other dudes. I only know that because I vaguely remember mention if some feud or something between Veder and Vobsin and at the time I was like wtf are these people? 

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/12 at 11:43 am

Aside from Nirvana? I think there's definitely a lot of hip hop legends, Tupac, Biggie, Wu Tang Clan to name a few. Aside from that I think the 90s sort of lacks legends.

This is another one of those subjective topics  you are always posting

I say TLC & Boyz II Men are legendary

Whistle mentions oasis and some group I've never heard of... I can't name an oasis song but I'm sure I know one I just don't know I know it...ya know

Some people will say 'Nsync, 98 degrees and something else

It's entirely focused on the poster's perspective

Written By: Inertia on 10/29/12 at 11:44 am

I agree with you. I believe tragedy often does cause bands or artists to become "legendary" in the eyes of some people.

Honestly, I can only think of a few Nirvana songs but not many. I can probably only sing the words to two of them. Of course, I am fairly selective in my music choices. ;\

I say Smashmouth, Soundgarden, and Radiohead.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 12:02 pm

I only know of 1 song from Nirvana, and I never heard of the name 'Kurt Cobain' until he died.
I find it hard to say that a 90s act is 'legendary", I don't think enough time has passed yet. I might even have a hard time considering any 80s band as "legendary" for the same reason.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/12 at 12:14 pm

Seriously? 

I've never even heard of Manic Street Preachers...and Oasis is just a bunch of whiney brats.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/12 at 12:15 pm

I agree with you. I believe tragedy often does cause bands or artists to become "legendary" in the eyes of some people.

Honestly, I can only think of a few Nirvana songs but not many. I can probably only sing the words to two of them. Of course, I am fairly selective in my music choices. ;\

I say Smashmouth, Soundgarden, and Radiohead.

I will give you Radiohead, but Smashmouth?  Really?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 12:19 pm

I think they're just as classic as the Monkees in their own way.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 1:53 pm

I don't know if I would consider Tupac and Biggie legends, Tupac probably but not Biggie.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 1:57 pm

I say TLC & Boyz II Men are legendary

Yes definitely and don't forget 90's female R & B groups such as

Salt N Pepa

Destiny's Child

En Vogue

Written By: Emman on 10/29/12 at 2:37 pm

I'm thinking like Mariah Carey, Dr. Dre and Snoop, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Nsync, ect. Quite a bit of variety actually, seems there was like 9 different types of '90s.

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/12 at 2:55 pm

Seriously? 

I've never even heard of Manic Street Preachers...and Oasis is just a bunch of whiney brats.

When I think Legendary, a band with alot of tenure and alot of hits comes to mind. 

Oasis had 29 hits between 1994-2009
Manic Street Preachers (not well known in North America) had 38 hits between 1991-2010

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 2:58 pm

When I think Legendary, a band with alot of tenure and alot of hits comes to mind. 

Oasis had 29 hits between 1994-2009
Manic Street Preachers (not well known in North America) had 38 hits between 1991-2010

I agree. I would give the label to an artist even if I dislike them. I'd consider Mariah Carey a legend even though most of her catalogue irritates me. Many many hits she had from 1990-2006.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 3:22 pm

I'd consider Mariah Carey a legend even though most of her catalogue irritates me. Many many hits she had from 1990-2006.

I would consider her a legend of the 1990's too.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/12 at 9:18 pm

Yes definitely and don't forget 90's female R & B groups such as

Salt N Pepa

Destiny's Child

En Vogue

I also forgot to mention Aaliyah & R. Kelly

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/12 at 10:05 pm

I think of Salt 'N Pepa more as an 80s group.  For 90's Legendary artists, I would generally only consider those who had their first hit in the 90s. 

But if you include Salt 'N Pepa, you could also include Pet Shop Boys, UB40, Depeche Mode, Erasure and other 80s bands that had alot of hits in the 90s

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 11:05 pm

I think of Salt 'N Pepa more as an 80s group.  For 90's Legendary artists, I would generally only consider those who had their first hit in the 90s. 

But if you include Salt 'N Pepa, you could also include Pet Shop Boys, UB40, Depeche Mode, Erasure and other 80s bands that had alot of hits in the 90s

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call Salt n Pepa legendary either. They're definitely a big name, but idk if I'd quite say "Push It" is legendary material.  ;D Good as it is.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/30/12 at 7:08 am

Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe?

Written By: gibbo on 10/31/12 at 5:13 am

Red Hot Chilli Peppers hit it big in the 90's.
REM had their biggest hits in the 90's
Green Day started having success in the 90's

Nirvana ... the most overrated band in the 90's. If KB had not topped himself ... no one would be talking about them. Perhaps, it just highlights the lack of musical talent in that decade (Ooooo... I mentioned the word decade  :o).

Of course, Anyone growing up with that music will have fond memories associated with those lame tunes. ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/12 at 11:06 am

Eminem got his start in the 90's.  I would consider him a legend.

Written By: meesa on 10/31/12 at 11:29 am

Define legendary. What is legendary to you may not be so much to me.
Off the top of my head, the artists that may become legendary from that time:

Tupac
Dr Dre
Eminem
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Radiohead
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Jeff Buckley
Nirvana
B.I.G.
Alanys Morrisette
Ice Cube
Stone Temple Pilots
Green Day
Boyz II Men

Not as well known but possible:
Liz Phair
Wilco
Sonic Youth

I say maybe, because like others I think it is too soon to call.

For country or other types of music from that time you would have to look to someone else. Also, for countries other than the USA, the list would probably be very different. Heck, the list will be different from person to person, let alone country to country.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 12:42 pm

Define legendary. What is legendary to you may not be so much to me.
Off the top of my head, the artists that may become legendary from that time:

Tupac
Dr Dre
Eminem
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Radiohead
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Jeff Buckley
Nirvana
B.I.G.
Alanys Morrisette
Ice Cube
Stone Temple Pilots
Green Day
Boyz II Men

Not as well known but possible:
Liz Phair
Wilco
Sonic Youth

I say maybe, because like others I think it is too soon to call.

For country or other types of music from that time you would have to look to someone else. Also, for countries other than the USA, the list would probably be very different. Heck, the list will be different from person to person, let alone country to country.

Nowadays, there's hardly any difference between American music and the music most people in other countries listen to unfortunately.

Written By: meesa on 10/31/12 at 12:59 pm

Nowadays, there's hardly any difference between American music and the music most people in other countries listen to unfortunately.

???
What do you mean?

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/12 at 2:33 pm

Eminem got his start in the 90's.  I would consider him a legend.

O0

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 3:47 pm

???
What do you mean?

I mean that if you look at the charts of foreign countries most of it is the same stuff Americans listen to.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/12 at 5:07 pm

I mean that if you look at the charts of foreign countries most of it is the same stuff Americans listen to.

Not in Mexico!

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/12 at 8:09 pm

This is not true.  While some of the stuff in the US Top 40 is seen in other charts in the world, there is a large difference in the charts of other countries

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 9:34 pm

This is not true.  While some of the stuff in the US Top 40 is seen in other charts in the world, there is a large difference in the charts of other countries

Yeah there's some differences but it seems like the really big songs in the US are almost always hits in most of the rest of the world. I don't really get it, the growing influence of US music despite its declining quality.  :P Actually even back in the day I've always liked English music more.

Written By: meesa on 11/02/12 at 12:14 pm

Yeah there's some differences but it seems like the really big songs in the US are almost always hits in most of the rest of the world.

Other countries don't necessarily look to the US of A to decide what music they like. Wouldn't that be a kind of arrogant assumption?

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/12 at 12:32 pm

Other countries don't necessarily look to the US of A to decide what music they like. Wouldn't that be a kind of arrogant assumption?

but this is America...everything we do/produce is better! *sic*  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/12 at 8:34 pm

Legendary?

The Legendary Pink Dots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzW49_Py7P4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-lv9q7hDg

Written By: Inertia on 11/02/12 at 8:41 pm

:P

Written By: gibbo on 11/02/12 at 9:55 pm

but this is America...everything we do/produce is better! *sic*  ::)

Surely not arrogance .... after all, the U.S. is the only country in The World Series!!!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/12 at 9:55 pm

Surely not arrogance .... after all, the U.S. is the only country in The World Series!!!  ;)

;D

Hell... even that boat race thingy...that I think happens in Australia....is called the America's cup...right?

Written By: gibbo on 11/02/12 at 10:41 pm

;D

Hell... even that boat race thingy...that I think happens in Australia....is called the America's cup...right?

But that one is okay. It IS the America's Cup ... and we ( Australia) did win back in the early 80's. That one just didn't go to script!  ;D

Written By: Venomous Mask on 11/02/12 at 10:52 pm

TLC
Pearl Jam
Pantera

White Zombie deserves to be legendary.

Written By: warped on 11/03/12 at 7:53 am

And they do allow a team from Toronto, Canada to play. But they placed Toronto in the "American" league.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/04/12 at 1:11 am

NWA is legendary. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/12 at 11:45 am

NWA is legendary.

I thought of them but felt they were more 80s legendary...no?

Written By: Starde on 11/06/12 at 11:42 pm

Everyone's going to have a different definition for the word "legendary". I consider a music artist or group legendary based on, at least, 2 of the following off the top of my head: their hits, their longevity and, most importantly, their impact in music history.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/12 at 12:30 pm

I thought of them but felt they were more 80s legendary...no?

True

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/12 at 1:30 pm

The Barenaked Ladies are somewhat legendary, but for the world outside of Canada, they are not.

BNL singer Ed Robertson has a reality show called Ed's Up which is kind of like a Canadian version of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe and everytime I watch it, I am reminded of just how well known The Barenaked Ladies are and all the hits they've had in their career

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 2:16 pm

The Barenaked Ladies are somewhat legendary, but for the world outside of Canada, they are not.

BNL singer Ed Robertson has a reality show called Ed's Up which is kind of like a Canadian version of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe and everytime I watch it, I am reminded of just how well known The Barenaked Ladies are and all the hits they've had in their career

I've seen them live, actually. They're really funny onstage.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 1:55 pm

NWA is legendary.

I'm not sure about that.

Written By: robby76 on 12/17/12 at 8:58 am

No-one's mentioned Britney Spears yet.  :D
(edit : just realised her first hit was in 1999... always thought of her as 90s for some reason)

Beyonce is on her way to becoming legendary I feel.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/12 at 7:24 pm

No-one's mentioned Britney Spears yet.  :D
(edit : just realised her first hit was in 1999... always thought of her as 90s for some reason)

Beyonce is on her way to becoming legendary I feel.

Britney Spears if you forget was also on the Mickey Mouse Club in 1993 a few years before made her debut as a singer so I guess after almost 20 years she would be considered legendary.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/27/12 at 5:22 pm

Guns N' Roses. Had their peak in popularity from 1991-1993 and were arguably the world's most popular rock band in that period. Their popularity was so immense that even in 1995, despite being mostly an inactive band, they released a single which was a cover song, with no promotion, and it hit #55 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 5:27 pm

Guns N' Roses. Had their peak in popularity from 1991-1993 and were arguably the world's most popular rock band in that period. Their popularity was so immense that even in 1995, despite being mostly an inactive band, they released a single which was a cover song, with no promotion, and it hit #55 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Hmmm, I don't really find that very impressive.  ;D But I'm sure they were huge in the early 90s. I mean them and Nirvana were the top dogs in the rock game during that time.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/27/12 at 5:31 pm

Hmmm, I don't really find that very impressive.  ;D But I'm sure they were huge in the early 90s. I mean them and Nirvana were the top dogs in the rock game during that time.

Well consider this: Guns N' Roses' song, "November Rain", hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the summer of 1992, and also was a Top 40 hit, coming in at #19. Very big feats for a 10 minute long song.

In contrast, Nirvana's highest charting song was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which peaked at #5 in 1991 and their biggest Top 40 hit reached #29. Nirvana may be more legendary, but I believe that's due to Kurt Cobain killing himself at just the right time. Guns N' Roses was more popular in the '90s overall.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 6:35 am

Was it "The Spaghetti Incident"?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/28/12 at 8:56 pm

Well consider this: Guns N' Roses' song, "November Rain", hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the summer of 1992, and also was a Top 40 hit, coming in at #19. Very big feats for a 10 minute long song.

In contrast, Nirvana's highest charting song was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which peaked at #5 in 1991 and their biggest Top 40 hit reached #29. Nirvana may be more legendary, but I believe that's due to Kurt Cobain killing himself at just the right time. Guns N' Roses was more popular in the '90s overall.

People forget that Guns N' Roses were actually supposed to be the Nirvana of their era. When Appetite for Destruction came out in 1987, many believed that album would herald a sea change for rock music in which all the cheesy make-up and spandex wearing hair bands would be wiped off the map. For a multitude of reasons, it wound up being Nirvana that did this in the early 90's instead, and ironically today, many people will tell you that GNR themselves were one of the hair bands that got wiped of the my by Nirvana.

Regardless of today's perception though, there's no doubt that back in 1991 GNR was way bigger than Nirvana. Use Your Illusion might be the single most anticipated album at the time of it's release in the last 30 years (save MJ's follow up to "Thriller"). Hell, the fact alone that Geffen actually let them release both parts of a double album on the same freaking day should really tell you just how massive those guys were at that point.

Check for new replies or respond here...