inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Racy" 1990s movies that your parents wouldn't let you see...

Written By: The Valley Goth on 11/03/12 at 7:01 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Did you become a teenager during the 1990s, as I did?  Did your parents believe that you should still be sheltered from all of the "cool" movies?

I had a rather strict mother.  When my family went on a vacation during 1988, I wanted to watch "Dirty Dancing" on t.v., and I was very upset when, after the opening credits, my mother turned the hotel t.v. off.  Of course, I was 9.  Then again, my mother was the same woman who had been shocked by "Roger Rabbit" during that same summer.

During the 1990s, I purposely avoided certain movies that I wanted to see, because my parents wouldn't let me watch them.  I now think that I was being silly, but I actually wrote a diary entry that said something like, "I'll have to wait until my mother goes somewhere to rent "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" ".  I STILL haven't seen that movie!  LOL!  I knew that at the age of 13, I was never going to be able to see "Cool World".

During high school, I actually asked my friends to take a survey that I'd created, because my mother was insisting that I not watch the "R"-rated movies that everybody else had already seen!  When she and Dad rented "The Piano", she wouldn't let me watch it.  I was probably around 17 at the time!  Really!

So, did you have strict parents who refused to let you watch the "cool" 1990s movies that your friends had already seen?
8)

Subject: Re: "Racy" 1990s movies that your parents wouldn't let you see...

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 8:37 pm

I wasn't a teenager until 2003, but there were a lot of movies I wasn't allowed to see. Basically anything that wasn't R, in the 90's. The Matrix was the first R movie I was allowed to watch.

Subject: Re: \"Racy\" 1990s movies that your parents wouldn\'t let you see...

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/03/12 at 9:32 pm

The 1990s had a lot of \'racy\' movies even \'racy\' in ways I won\'t mention especially around 1995.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/12 at 12:09 am

You'll have to start an eighties thread for me. 

I regretted taking my very shy and virginal Catholic girlfriend to see David Lynch's "Wild At Heart."  It was way too effed up for her unsuspecting minds.  I also regretted going to see "Last Exit to Brooklyn."  The gang rape scene at the end still disturbs me!  I regretted going to see "Henry and June" because it was so dumb.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 11/09/12 at 4:37 am

I don't remember anything racy... but violent:

Princess Mononoke. I got to watch it at afterschool care and got in trouble for "He's gonna die!" when the guy falls off the cliff. Even though I had told everyone my dad took me to see it.

Some others include The Matrix, Starship Troopers, Men In Black, Jumanji

My parents were huge snobs about movies and whenever a trailer for a movie with car chases or explosions would come on, they would try to tell me that it "looked dumb" and that I "would enjoy it" instead of just telling me I was too young to see it. Also showed me pretty much every "making of" feature that came on just so I could get my fill of "special effects" (read: car chases and explosions). For about five year I made it my life's goal to work in special effects simply because I was apparently too sophisticated to seriously enjoy watching cars explode when I was ten.

Check for new replies or respond here...