inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blue's Clues

Written By: belmont22 on 11/15/12 at 10:43 am

Did you watch Blue's Clues growing up? I did, but it came out when I was in first grade, so I felt a bit old for it. I personally preferred Tiny Toons and Kablam.  :)

Subject: Re: Blue's Clues

Written By: danootaandme on 11/15/12 at 10:47 am

http://lisamorguess.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/blues_clues.gif

My son was a fan

Written By: Inertia on 11/15/12 at 1:41 pm

By the time Blue's Clues aired on television, I was much too old for those kinds of shows. I watched it on rare occasions in the morning if literally nothing better happened to be on either Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network. It happened to be one of the only tolerable shows on Nick Jr. at my age, but I only watched it in times of desperation.

Written By: Jquar on 11/15/12 at 1:55 pm

I only watched it when Steve was on, up until 1998 or so. After he left I remember rumors persisted that he had killed himself.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/15/12 at 2:00 pm

By the time Blue's Clues aired on television, I was much too old for those kinds of shows. I watched it on rare occasions in the morning if literally nothing better happened to be on either Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network. It happened to be one of the only tolerable shows on Nick Jr. at my age, but I only watched it in times of desperation.

Yeah I felt the same way. When you consider it ran as late as 2006, its fan base really covers a lot of ground! It's still pretty relevant now even I think, as a second-hand thing.

Someone born in 1989 might be the very oldest that could have even possibly liked it being 6/7 when it started, but I think of it as being something people born from 1991 or '92 onwards grew up with. It's aimed at 2 to 5 year olds I would say but I've heard of teenagers and even adults watching it in the same way there are adult My Little Pony and Spongebob fans.

It was pretty unique though, in the sense it was the first show that really talked to kids. Earlier shows like Ren and Stimpy, Smurfs etc tended to be based around toy lines and were in many ways aimed at adults as well.

Written By: Inertia on 11/15/12 at 2:47 pm

Yeah I felt the same way. When you consider it ran as late as 2006, its fan base really covers a lot of ground! It's still pretty relevant now even I think, as a second-hand thing.

Someone born in 1989 might be the very oldest that could have even possibly liked it being 6/7 when it started, but I think of it as being something people born from 1991 or '92 onwards grew up with. It's aimed at 2 to 5 year olds I would say but I've heard of teenagers and even adults watching it in the same way there are adult My Little Pony and Spongebob fans.

It was pretty unique though, in the sense it was the first show that really talked to kids. Earlier shows like Ren and Stimpy, Smurfs etc tended to be based around toy lines and were in many ways aimed at adults as well.

I don't know. I remember many people my age thinking Blue's Clue was a show "for babies." Regardless, of whether their thinking was right or wrong, few people would openly admit to enjoying it in my second grade class. ;\

By 1996, I had already started to develop interest in anime. I watched cartoons such as Samurai Pizza Cats frequently.

I'm an adult and I like MLP:FIM actually. Rainbow Dash is my favorite character.

I never really got into Spongebob either although I would watch it on occasion when other shows I despised more were on other channels.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/15/12 at 3:33 pm

It came out in Germany in 2003, so definetly NOT  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/15/12 at 4:11 pm

I was in 4th grade when it started, so I only caught the show maybe a few dozen times in the morning during the summer months when I was out of school and I still had my TV on Nickelodeon from the day before.

Strangely enough, I actually have a weird feeling of nostalgia for the show now even though I hated it as a 9 year old because I thought it was, as Inertia said, "for babies". I guess because it brings back fun memories from the summer of '97.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/15/12 at 4:52 pm

It came out in Germany in 2003, so definetly NOT  ;D

;D

Written By: joeman on 11/15/12 at 4:59 pm

I only watched it when Steve was on, up until 1998 or so. After he left I remember rumors persisted that he had killed himself.

He didn't kill himself, he left the show so he can play in his dream rock band...The Flaming Lips!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 11/15/12 at 7:01 pm

It was more for my sister's age or younger but I watched it anyway  :D

Written By: bchris02 on 11/16/12 at 9:37 pm

Did you watch Blue's Clues growing up? I did, but it came out when I was in first grade, so I felt a bit old for it. I personally preferred Tiny Toons and Kablam.  :)

I knew quite a few guys when I was in 8th grade in 1999 that watched it.  Guys in our generation generally were into things well past the age when it would be considered appropriate.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/16/12 at 10:36 pm

My daughter loved it.  She liked Steve better than Joe.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/19/12 at 9:15 am

I loved that show lol  :D

Written By: belmont22 on 11/19/12 at 10:08 am

My daughter loved it.  She liked Steve better than Joe.

How old is she now?

Written By: Starde on 11/19/12 at 7:44 pm

Wasn't really a fan of Blue's Clues. The only reason I was aware of the show and was forced to watch it was because of my younger siblings. Now that I think about it, I wasn't into any, if not, all of those Nick Jr. educational shows. I preferred just watching regular, good ol' cartoons. 8)

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/20/12 at 1:40 am

Blue's Clues aired around the time I was in preschool, so I was the perfect age for it. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 11/23/12 at 12:45 am

I was 5 so this show was definitely for my age. LOL.

Written By: af2010 on 11/24/12 at 8:05 pm

I've never watched it.  I was 8/9 at the time and more into regular Nick, but I remember it being popular with younger kids.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/24/12 at 8:09 pm

I've never watched it.  I was 8/9 at the time and more into regular Nick, but I remember it being popular with younger kids.

It seems like 1991 is the oldest birth year with a lot of people really into it, though 88-90 is still kinda young enough that you could have watched it out of boredom etc.

I watched Barney even though I told myself I hated it lol. I preferred more mature stuff, but I would watch it if I was bored. Kinda same story with Blue's Clues.

Never watched Teletubbies though, that started when I was 8 or 9 and is probably too immature even for a 5 year old.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/24/12 at 8:23 pm

It came out when I was in kindergarten. I remember when it was new and thinking I was "slightly too old" for it, but I found myself watching a lot it anyway! In general, I shamelessly watched Nick Jr. until I was probably way too old...but I couldn't help if there was no other kids programming on at the time ;D Even Nickelodeon I still watched into my early teens.

While I like to watch TVLand before I go to bed, it's actually kind of funny because in my living situation last year, I didn't get that channel, so I resorted to Nick@Nite instead. Well most of the time I would pass out with the tv still on and wake up to Nick Jr. ;D (In my current apartment I don't have cable at all, just basic channels, so I usually settle on WGN or something)

My pre-school show of choice when I was a toddler/young child was Barney...which nobody liked to admit in elementary school :p

Written By: Slim95 on 11/24/12 at 8:59 pm

I really liked Comfy Couch and Little Bear!  8)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/24/12 at 9:05 pm

Some Nick Jr. shows I remember liking:

Allegra's Window
Gula Gula Island
The Busy World of Richard Scary
Muppet Babies
Rupert
Little Bear
Gumby (I think this was on Nick Jr.?)

Written By: wildcard on 11/24/12 at 9:24 pm

watched Muppet Babies all the time when I was a kid.  Loved the movie shots that they would show to go with what the characters were doing.

Written By: af2010 on 11/24/12 at 9:34 pm

It seems like 1991 is the oldest birth year with a lot of people really into it, though 88-90 is still kinda young enough that you could have watched it out of boredom etc.

I watched Barney even though I told myself I hated it lol. I preferred more mature stuff, but I would watch it if I was bored. Kinda same story with Blue's Clues.

Never watched Teletubbies though, that started when I was 8 or 9 and is probably too immature even for a 5 year old.  ;D

Yea that's probably about right.  I guess I stopped watching 'little kid' programming around 93 or so, so most of the stuff ater that (Blue's Clues, Teletubies, etc.) I'm not quite as familiar with.  I liked Barney at first, but when Power Rangers came out about a year later, there was no going back to Barney. ;D

Written By: Inertia on 11/25/12 at 5:55 am

Some Nick Jr. shows I remember liking:

Allegra's Window
Gula Gula Island
The Busy World of Richard Scary
Muppet Babies
Rupert
Little Bear
Gumby (I think this was on Nick Jr.?)

I watched Muppet Babies and Rupert.

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 12/02/12 at 2:02 pm

I'm born in 1995, and i remember watching the Blue Clues alot as a kid. The Arts and Crafts tape was played alot at home when i was in Preschool back in 99'.

Steve > Joe

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 3:25 pm

Sorry to bump this, but I do remember watching Blue's Clues when I was very little. Especially the Steve episodes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 3:27 pm

I really liked Comfy Couch and Little Bear!  8)

Honestly loved them more than Blue's Clues.

Written By: annimal on 01/23/16 at 4:20 pm

I watched Muppet Babies when I was a kid.  I don't remember my younger brothers really watching Blues Clues.

Written By: energy00 on 01/23/16 at 7:47 pm

I watched it, too. This kind of show was considered "groundbreaking" at the time because it was probably the first to use that "fake interactivity" trope. It was supposed to make kids feel like they were actually participating with the show, but I'm sure most of us weren't stupid.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeInteractivity?from=Main.NonInteractivity

Soon after, Dora the Explorer picked it up and ran with it to immense commercial success. Now pretty much every show on Nick Jr, plus a couple on PBS Kids, use it. I don't know where child psychologists and kids' show creators got the idea that this was good, because I think even kids can tell you it's not fooling anyone and it makes the progression of the show move at a sloth's pace.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 2:16 pm

I watched it, too. This kind of show was considered "groundbreaking" at the time because it was probably the first to use that "fake interactivity" trope. It was supposed to make kids feel like they were actually participating with the show, but I'm sure most of us weren't stupid.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeInteractivity?from=Main.NonInteractivity

Soon after, Dora the Explorer picked it up and ran with it to immense commercial success. Now pretty much every show on Nick Jr, plus a couple on PBS Kids, use it. I don't know where child psychologists and kids' show creators got the idea that this was good, because I think even kids can tell you it's not fooling anyone and it makes the progression of the show move at a sloth's pace.

When I was little, I used to let the characters answer the questions because they already know it. Why would anybody need to have the viewers say something to the viewers, if they secretly know the answer?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/25/16 at 12:49 pm

Yes, I did watch it despite me being too old for it overtime. I think the last year I watched was in 2000/01.

Written By: humaeast on 01/30/16 at 11:53 am

I remember Blue's Clues. I sing a parody of the mail song a lot. "Here's the mail, it always fails, it makes me want to fudge a whale, when it comes I wanna bail, mail!"

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/30/16 at 12:50 pm

I remember Blue's Clues. I sing a parody of the mail song a lot. "Here's the mail, it always fails, it makes me want to fudge a whale, when it comes I wanna bail, mail!"

Did that Mail Song scare you or something?

Written By: humaeast on 01/30/16 at 1:26 pm

Did that Mail Song scare you or something?

Not at all.  ;)
Where did I put my Mr. Tall Pretty Boy BBB bug spray? Those things scare me. (jk) :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/31/16 at 9:52 pm

From 1998 until 2001, it was MY SHOW!! :D :D :D  Besides Sesame Street, Arthur, Teletubbies, Mr Rogers, Rugrats, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Batman,Superman, Madeline, and Ed Edd n Eddy, it was another go to show!

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 9:54 pm

I think I watched it 1997/1998, along with shows like Teletubbie and Barney.

In 1998 when I entered grade school I had a Teletubbies backpack and this girl said I was a baby for watching that show. I stopped watching most baby shows after that :'(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/31/16 at 9:57 pm

I think I watched it 1997/1998, along with shows like Teletubbie and Barney.

In 1998 when I entered grade school I had a Teletubbies backpack and this girl said I was a baby for watching that show. I stopped watching most baby shows after that :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
In kindergarten I still secretly watched Teletubbies, Blues Clues, Franklin, and Little Bill along with the main kid network shows! ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 9:59 pm

In kindergarten I still secretly watched Teletubbies, Blues Clues, Franklin, and Little Bill along with the main kid network shows! ;)

For me in Kindergarten it was preschool or educational shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thurs), and main kid network shows on Fridays, Saturdays, and some Sundays.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 10:00 pm

Secretly? In kindergarten I watched those shows no problem  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 10:07 pm

Secretly? In kindergarten I watched those shows no problem  ;D

LOL!? Kindergarten is usually the last year kids watch preschool shows but at the same time the first year they watch big kid shows on main kid stations. I literally by the time Summer 2002 took off and I felt like I was too old for preschool/baby shows when I had already been 6 years old for a while now. By Summer 2002 and 1st grade I only watched big kid shows on the main kid channels, however, I still watched educational shows on PBS Kids during the weekdays (not preschool though). It's only girls with cutesy feelings who still sneak preschool shows at a late age  ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/31/16 at 10:11 pm

For me in Kindergarten it was preschool or educational shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thurs), and main kid network shows on Fridays, Saturdays, and some Sundays.

Interesting! :o  Only educational huh! I watched whatever was on tv with my parents or grandparents, and my kid shows! Also would watch my VHS Disney, Dreamworks, Warner Bros tapes late night or zoog disney channel before bedtime! After mornings; it was video game time, backyard time, or park time!

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 11:06 pm

Interesting! :o  Only educational huh! I watched whatever was on tv with my parents or grandparents, and my kid shows! Also would watch my VHS Disney, Dreamworks, Warner Bros tapes late night or zoog disney channel before bedtime! After mornings; it was video game time, backyard time, or park time!

Yeah, if I hadn't already told you, throughout elementary school my parents didn't allow us to watch big kid shows on the weekdays. I could only watch educational shows on Mon-Thurs. They wanted us to do well in school and get some rest early. However, Fridays-Sundays it was free time any show I wanted to watch!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/01/16 at 12:02 am

Yeah, if I hadn't already told you, throughout elementary school my parents didn't allow us to watch big kid shows on the weekdays. I could only watch educational shows on Mon-Thurs. They wanted us to do well in school and get some rest early. However, Fridays-Sundays it was free time any show I wanted to watch!

I think you might have ONCE, probably just forgot! ;D  Man that's insane NO kids netowrk shows on the weekdays AT ALL, that's messed up! :o
When I went from kindergarten to the 1st grade; I started to get real homework, so I tried to get my work done early or work with the tv off. ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:26 am

From 1998 until 2001, it was MY SHOW!! :D :D :D  Besides Sesame Street, Arthur, Teletubbies, Mr Rogers, Rugrats, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Batman,Superman, Madeline, and Ed Edd n Eddy, it was another go to show!

I was into Sesame Street, Electric Company and Mr.Rogers Neighborhood

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:33 am

I think you might have ONCE, probably just forgot! ;D  Man that's insane NO kids netowrk shows on the weekdays AT ALL, that's messed up! :o
When I went from kindergarten to the 1st grade; I started to get real homework, so I tried to get my work done early or work with the tv off. ;)

Well, that seems fine to me. Some parents (like mqg96's) don't want their kids to watch big kid shows during school nights (usually at Preschool or Kindergarten).

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 8:04 am

Well, that seems fine to me. Some parents (like mqg96's) don't want their kids to watch big kid shows during school nights (usually at Preschool or Kindergarten).

Even 1st-4th grade too my parents wouldn't let me watch the main kid shows on weekdays (Mon-Thur). I could only watch educational shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thur) otherwise nothing else. However, Fri-Sun I was able to watch anything I wanted on TV. The weekday afternoon lineup from Mon-Thur was the same as the Fri afternoon lineup, but each Fri there were new episodes premiering at night as we all remember. The Sat & Sun weekend lineups were different of course. Now sometimes back in the 2000's our family would sit down together on weekdays and watch Jeopardy, Amazing Race, or American Idol. The only way I could watch the main kid shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thur) is if there was a school break or day off. Like Labor Day, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Mid-Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer Break, etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 8:12 am

Even 1st-4th grade too my parents wouldn't let me watch the main kid shows on weekdays (Mon-Thur). I could only watch educational shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thur) otherwise nothing else. However, Fri-Sun I was able to watch anything I wanted on TV. The weekday afternoon lineup from Mon-Thur was the same as the Fri afternoon lineup, but each Fri there were new episodes premiering at night as we all remember. The Sat & Sun weekend lineups were different of course. Now sometimes back in the 2000's our family would sit down together on weekdays and watch Jeopardy, Amazing Race, or American Idol. The only way I could watch the main kid shows on the weekdays (Mon-Thur) is if there was a school break or day off. Like Labor Day, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Mid-Winter Break, Spring Break, Summer Break, etc.

Oh. That makes sense.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:26 pm

Loved Blue's Clues! Stopped watching it when I was 7 along with the rest of the Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney shows, but I still watched Barney until I was 10!!!

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 8:18 pm

It premiered when I was 7 but due to my autism, I loved it. I still have a replica of the chair and a replica of the Handy Dandy Notebook. Yes, I brought them to Japan with me along with my Big Comfy Couch stuff, because my neighbor Elizabeth passed away around then and I always used to bring them to her place... :-\\

Written By: annimal on 01/07/18 at 10:44 am

not blues clues

Check for new replies or respond here...