inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sinead O'Connor "fight the real enemy" (SNL 1992)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/23/12 at 4:43 pm

So when Sinead got on stage on SNL in October of 1992 and tore up a picture of the pope...it pretty much destroyed her career. She, of course, did this in response to allegations of child abuse committed by Catholic priests in Ireland at the time. Do you think Sinead would have gotten an equally hostile response from the public and media if she had done this in 2012 vs. 1992? There have been many more reports of this kind of thing going on since then.

Subject: Re: Sinead O'Connor "fight the real enemy" (SNL 1992)

Written By: warped on 12/23/12 at 6:00 pm

Excellent question.  But I don't have an answer right now  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/23/12 at 7:23 pm

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/SineadOConnorPopeGb260411.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/23/12 at 10:42 pm

Good question!  I think she chose the wrong stage.  Many people didn't understand why she was so angry (I know I didn't).  I think it's fair to assume that people ARE more aware now and this "stunt" would have been better received.

Written By: warped on 12/24/12 at 6:39 am

Sinead is Irish, and there has been conflict between Irish Catholics & Protestants for years (everyone knows that). So it was a political statement and she stepped on some toes there.  She tore a photo of the pope and that was a religious statement, and she stepped on some toes there. 

If no one had ever done what she did until yesterday, and she did the same thing, she'd still get a hostile response. I think we are generally more tolerant now in terms of accepting other religions and politics than we were 20 years ago, so the response she'd get might not be as hostile.  :-[

Written By: belmont22 on 12/26/12 at 12:58 am

Yeah I was just thinking back in 1992 Ireland was still deep in the Troubles, the first ceasefire agreement wouldn't come until 1994.

I think if it happened today, all the angles would be explored by the Internet and media and people would be more informed on the true meaning. Back then, they just saw her as a psycho tearing up a picture of someone hatefully without knowing the full story, the Internet wasn't really mainstream in 1992 and there wasn't quite as much of an obsession with celebrities.

Check for new replies or respond here...