inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were Cabbage Patch Kids still popular in the 90s?

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 4:06 am

I remember commercials for them aired well into the late 90s, hell possibly even into the 00s. I know the 'mania' peaked in the mid 80s but did they still sell decently in the 90s?

Subject: Re: Were Cabbage Patch Kids still popular in the 90s?

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/27/12 at 11:07 am

They did sell, however I don't think they were quite as popular as they were in the '80s. And I know, I had/have a sister who was between the ages of 6 and 12 in the '90s and her playthings were mainly: Treasure Trolls, Polly Pockets, Starbright Sparkle dolls, Barbie dolls which were all popular '90s toys.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 2:10 pm

They sold but not as well as they did in the early to mid 1980's, new dolls for the 90's came along for kids to play with. I think you can find Cabbage Patch Kids on ebay.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 4:16 pm

They did sell, however I don't think they were quite as popular as they were in the '80s. And I know, I had/have a sister who was between the ages of 6 and 12 in the '90s and her playthings were mainly: Treasure Trolls, Polly Pockets, Starbright Sparkle dolls, Barbie dolls which were all popular '90s toys.

My brother was given one as a baby somewhere between 1988 and 1990. I think even by then the fad was starting to subside a bit, because I know 1988 was the last year the 'classic' CPK's were made by Coleco.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 6:37 am

My brother was given one as a baby somewhere between 1988 and 1990. I think even by then the fad was starting to subside a bit, because I know 1988 was the last year the 'classic' CPK's were made by Coleco.

Which one did you have?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/28/12 at 10:27 am

1983-85 were the "golden years", while 1986-90 was an era where it gradually waned but still had popularity (I'd say Care Bears is what stopped its upward momentum as it was its original competitor, but when the Trolls and Polly Pockets came out, it was seen as just another doll that was "there", but no longer in its prime). Around the time the Beanie Babies/Furbies came out, CPK was pretty much a relic of the past.

Written By: Inertia on 12/28/12 at 11:06 am

Not really. They are more of an 1980's toy.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 12:29 pm

1983-85 were the "golden years", while 1986-90 was an era where it gradually waned but still had popularity (I'd say Care Bears is what stopped its upward momentum as it was its original competitor, but when the Trolls and Polly Pockets came out, it was seen as just another doll that was "there", but no longer in its prime). Around the time the Beanie Babies/Furbies came out, CPK was pretty much a relic of the past.

Polly Pockets debuted in 1989 right? And I think Trolls were originally from the 70s but made a comeback in the early 90s, I'm thinking about '93ish?

Care Bears did last a bit of a ways into the 90s I believe, like up to 1992ish or so, same with My Little Pony and of course the reboots of both of them in the 00s were highly successful.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 7:27 pm

The 1980's were the time to have a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 7:28 pm

Polly Pockets debuted in 1989 right? And I think Trolls were originally from the 70s but made a comeback in the early 90s, I'm thinking about '93ish?

Care Bears did last a bit of a ways into the 90s I believe, like up to 1992ish or so, same with My Little Pony and of course the reboots of both of them in the 00s were highly successful.

I think Care Bears stopped in the late 80's.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 7:44 pm

I think Care Bears stopped in the late 80's.

The show ended in 1988 but I'm pretty sure the toys were popular into the early 90s. I could be wrong though.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 7:45 pm

I remember commercials for them aired well into the late 90s, hell possibly even into the 00s. I know the 'mania' peaked in the mid 80s but did they still sell decently in the 90s?

I played with them in the 90s and so did my sister. I would say yes they were popular in the earlier 90s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 7:46 pm

The show ended in 1988 but I'm pretty sure the toys were popular into the early 90s. I could be wrong though.

The show itself ended in 1988 but I remember it because they showed reruns on the Disney channel in the early 90s.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:14 pm

The show itself ended in 1988 but I remember it because they showed reruns on the Disney channel in the early 90s.

Yes I'm pretty sure the Care Bears fad did extend into the early 90s. My Little Pony most definitely did.

What about Pound Puppies, did you play with those? I'm pretty sure those were still at least being sold in the 90s.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 8:19 pm

First episode: September 14, 1985.
Final episode: January 23, 1988.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/12 at 8:20 pm

Yes I'm pretty sure the Care Bears fad did extend into the early 90s. My Little Pony most definitely did.

What about Pound Puppies, did you play with those? I'm pretty sure those were still at least being sold in the 90s.

There was also a Pound Puppies cartoon.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/28/12 at 8:26 pm

Yes I'm pretty sure the Care Bears fad did extend into the early 90s.

It did. When I was in 1st grade (1993-94 school year), there was a friend of mine that loved Care Bears. She had all the VHS tapes (including some that came out before we were even born), and she used to watch the show in reruns on The Disney Channel nearly every day. So I guess for some you could say the fad extended even into the mid 90's.

As for Cabbage Patch, I'm probably not the right person to answer this question as a guy, but I don't really remember hearing much about them during my early elementary years. My older cousin (who was born in 1979) had a couple of the old CPK dolls in her room when I was growing up, but as far as I can remember, the fad seemed pretty much dead by the time I started Kindergarten in '92.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/28/12 at 8:42 pm

As for Cabbage Patch, I'm probably not the right person to answer this question as a guy, but I don't really remember hearing much about them during my early elementary years. My older cousin (who was born in 1979) had a couple of the old CPK dolls in her room when I was growing up, but as far as I can remember, the fad seemed pretty much dead by the time I started Kindergarten in '92.

My brother was given a cabbage patch doll as a baby (he was born in November '88) and I wasn't, which makes me think the fad was more or less over by 1991 at the very latest.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/28/12 at 9:29 pm

Yes I did! I guess maybe 80s fads lasted longer in Midwestern areas.

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/28/12 at 10:40 pm

Pretty much the same as with the Cabbage Patch Kids. There were Care Bears in every toy store, but weren't as popular as they once were in the '80s. Some children did have them but it wasn't the must have toy that every child wanted.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/29/12 at 12:30 am

Pretty much the same as with the Cabbage Patch Kids. There were Care Bears in every toy store, but weren't as popular as they once were in the '80s. Some children did have them but it wasn't the must have toy that every child wanted.

Was 1989 the last Christmas they sold well or were they fading even prior to that?

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 6:49 am

My brother was given a cabbage patch doll as a baby (he was born in November '88) and I wasn't, which makes me think the fad was more or less over by 1991 at the very latest.

They moved onto different dolls to play with.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 6:52 am

Was 1989 the last Christmas they sold well or were they fading even prior to that?

Coleco had went bankrupt in 1988 so some other company had to be taken over afterwards.

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/29/12 at 7:20 pm

Coleco had went bankrupt in 1988 so some other company had to be taken over afterwards.

I remember when the last Coleco Cabbage Patch Kids were sold in '88. I was 8 years old at the time. It's funny that even though most of the dolls made after 1988 did have the same faces as the older ones one could still tell the difference.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 7:22 pm

I remember when the last Coleco Cabbage Patch Kids were sold in '88. I was 8 years old at the time. It's funny that even though most of the dolls made after 1988 did have the same faces as the older ones one could still tell the difference.

They could've made something like Cabbage Patch Adults, How would've that worked out?  ???

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/29/12 at 7:31 pm

They could've made something like Cabbage Patch Adults, How would've that worked out?  ???

Hmm, I can't imagine there being such a doll Howard lol. That would just be weird.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/12 at 10:23 pm

I remember a girl in Kindergarten with me who had a cabbage patch doll of her own, she loved it. I was in Kindergarten in 1994/1995. I remember it more towards 1994 though. I think most of you are right, 1983 to 1985 was the 'hype, crazy, golden age' of the toy!

Written By: belmont22 on 12/29/12 at 10:24 pm

I remember a girl in Kindergarten with me who had a cabbage patch doll of her own, she loved it. I was in Kindergarten in 1994/1995. I remember it more towards 1994 though. I think most of you are right, 1983 to 1985 was the 'hype, crazy, golden age' of the toy!

I was in kindergarten in 1995/96 and I didn't have one but I do remember commercials for them. They were mostly for girls I think of course, being dolls.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/12 at 10:26 pm

I was in kindergarten in 1995/96 and I didn't have one but I do remember commercials for them. They were mostly for girls I think of course, being dolls.

As for barbies, I wonder if they're still popular?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/30/12 at 7:13 am

There was also "My Buddy".

http://www.into-the-dark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/MyBuddy.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/30/12 at 7:14 am

I'm pretty sure there are.

Written By: Inertia on 12/30/12 at 7:56 am

My friend has a daughter named Hazel (born circa 2009) and she enjoys playing with Barbies so I would say yes. :]

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/30/12 at 9:43 am

Yes, and not only popular to girls but also to adults. So many people these days collect Barbie dolls.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/12 at 10:00 am

Yes, and not only popular to girls but also to adults. So many people these days collect Barbie dolls.

I see.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/12 at 2:16 pm

My friend has a daughter named Hazel (born circa 2009) and she enjoys playing with Barbies so I would say yes. :]

I wonder what the last name that Barbie used? Like what did they call the Barbies?

Written By: Inertia on 12/30/12 at 4:03 pm

I wonder what the last name that Barbie used? Like what did they call the Barbies?

What do you mean? o.o

Written By: Howard on 12/31/12 at 6:51 am

What do you mean? o.o

like "Stylish" Barbie, "Malibu" Barbie, you know, those sort of names.

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/31/12 at 10:09 am

like "Stylish" Barbie, "Malibu" Barbie, you know, those sort of names.

There are so many.

Check for new replies or respond here...