inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pulp Fiction

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/27/12 at 5:29 pm

For those who are old enough to really remember 1994, how big was Pulp Fiction as a film that year? Was it talked about, was it a "hip" film to go see? Who was the biggest audience--Baby Boomers or Gen Xers?

Subject: Re: Pulp Fiction

Written By: warped on 12/27/12 at 6:36 pm

I saw it (I'm a boomer, tail end). I know several boomers who saw it but I know of more Gen X's that saw it. I think it was a more popular film amongst people born in the late 60s and 1970s. That's my recollection.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/28/12 at 11:09 am

For those who are old enough to really remember 1994, how big was Pulp Fiction as a film that year? Was it talked about, was it a "hip" film to go see? Who was the biggest audience--Baby Boomers or Gen Xers?

Pulp Fiction completely blew everyone's minds when it first came out, and for so many reasons. Where do I begin?

First of all, it was a smashing comeback for John Travolta. Younger people may not realize this, but before Pulp Fiction John Travolta's career was all but dead. There was a huge anti-disco backlash in the 1980's and John Travolta, being the face of disco, was perhaps its biggest casualty. I was working this sh!t job at the time and I told this girl at work that I just saw Pulp Fiction and her first reaction was to sneer and ask me, "Is that that movie with John Travolta???" and then giggle derisively. And I was like, "No! No! It's good! You've gotta go see it!"  The casting of John Travolta, along with the soundtrack and several other pop culture references, really helped to push 1970's retro culture into the mainstream. Of course, John Travolta's career is back in the toilet again, probably thanks to Battlefield Earth more than anything.

It also helped launch the careers of Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, and Ving Rhames, gave a boost to Bruce Willis, and totally relaunched the career of surf guitar king Dick Dale.

And it made Quentin Tarantino a household name. My younger brother, who has always been a film buff, showed me Reservoir Dogs about a year prior so I was somewhat prepared for it, but the friend I went with and the majority of the audience had no idea what was in store for them. So many movies were (and still are) so formulaic and predictable and Pulp Fiction was like a thrill ride and you had no clue what was around the next corner. The sequence where Bruce Willis goes back to his old apartment to recover his gold watch only to end up in the basement of the pawn shop with Ving Rhames, Zed, Maynard, and the Gimp was one of the great all-time cinematic mind-f*cks. When Butch opened the door to finally reveal what Zed and Maynard were doing to Marsellus, the whole audience groaned and hissed in anger and disgust, and after he freed Marsellus and escaped and got back to the motel the audience was pretty much emotionally drained by this point, and when he was finally on Zed's chopper with his girlfriend, ready to ride off into the sunset, and he turned around and looked at her and said, "Man, this has been the weirdest f*cking day of my life," the audience burst into laughter. We were all a-buzz after we left the theater.

I have been a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino ever since because whenever he releases a new film, I go in knowing he's going to entertain the living sh!t out of me.  ;)

Written By: Starde on 12/29/12 at 3:34 am

Pulp Fiction completely blew everyone's minds when it first came out, and for so many reasons. Where do I begin?

First of all, it was a smashing comeback for John Travolta. Younger people may not realize this, but before Pulp Fiction John Travolta's career was all but dead. There was a huge anti-disco backlash in the 1980's and John Travolta, being the face of disco, was perhaps its biggest casualty. I was working this sh!t job at the time and I told this girl at work that I just saw Pulp Fiction and her first reaction was to sneer and ask me, "Is that that movie with John Travolta???" and then giggle derisively. And I was like, "No! No! It's good! You've gotta go see it!"  The casting of John Travolta, along with the soundtrack and several other pop culture references, really helped to push 1970's retro culture into the mainstream. Of course, John Travolta's career is back in the toilet again, probably thanks to Battlefield Earth more than anything.

It also helped launch the careers of Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, and Ving Rhames, gave a boost to Bruce Willis, and totally relaunched the career of surf guitar king Dick Dale.

And it made Quentin Tarantino a household name. My younger brother, who has always been a film buff, showed me Reservoir Dogs about a year prior so I was somewhat prepared for it, but the friend I went with and the majority of the audience had no idea what was in store for them. So many movies were (and still are) so formulaic and predictable and Pulp Fiction was like a thrill ride and you had no clue what was around the next corner. The sequence where Bruce Willis goes back to his old apartment to recover his gold watch only to end up in the basement of the pawn shop with Ving Rhames, Zed, Maynard, and the Gimp was one of the great all-time cinematic mind-f*cks. When Butch opened the door to finally reveal what Zed and Maynard were doing to Marsellus, the whole audience groaned and hissed in anger and disgust, and after he freed Marsellus and escaped and got back to the motel the audience was pretty much emotionally drained by this point, and when he was finally on Zed's chopper with his girlfriend, ready to ride off into the sunset, and he turned around and looked at her and said, "Man, this has been the weirdest f*cking day of my life," the audience burst into laughter. We were all a-buzz after we left the theater.

I have been a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino ever since because whenever he releases a new film, I go in knowing he's going to entertain the living sh!t out of me.  ;)

THIS x infinity! I'm a film buff and love Pulp Fiction so much. Great to see a fellow Tarantino fan around here! 8) Love the guy as a filmmaker so much that I wrote one of my final papers freshmen year of college about the use of dialogue and music in his films.  I don't really fangirl around celebrities, but I'd probably lose my mind if I met him!

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/12 at 5:56 pm

Pulp Fiction was quite a controversial movie when it came out.  I saw it the year after it came out on VHS, and I didn't really understand it's controversy until I saw the rape scene with Ving Rhames lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/12 at 12:02 pm

When I first saw it, I couldn't get into it. After a few people here on this board suggested that I try it again-so I did. And I absolutely HATED IT!!!!  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/12 at 9:00 pm

When I first saw it, I couldn't get into it. After a few people here on this board suggested that I try it again-so I did. And I absolutely HATED IT!!!!  8-P 8-P 8-P

Well allow me to retort...

And it made Quentin Tarantino a household name. My younger brother, who has always been a film buff, showed me Reservoir Dogs about a year prior so I was somewhat prepared for it, but the friend I went with and the majority of the audience had no idea what was in store for them.

Say "what" again, I dare you, I double dare you...

So many movies were (and still are) so formulaic and predictable and Pulp Fiction was like a thrill ride and you had no clue what was around the next corner.

This.  Innumerable and quotable one-liners, coming at you every few minutes from every character, and just when you thought you'd seen everything, the ride home in the back seat has another surp
*BLAM*
udience bursts out in laughter and cheers.

Check for new replies or respond here...