inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Disney Afternoon

Written By: NostalgicWanderer92 on 12/29/12 at 10:41 am

This was another great block full of Disney's best cartoons before all this Hannah Montana crap today. This was a block that was launched from September 10, 1990 to August 29, 1997! We had great shows like Gargoyles, Bonkers, Ducktales, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Dark Wing Duck, Goof Troop and many others! Lets discuss this gem of nostalgia!  ;D

http://dogandponyshowwebsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DAgangFull.jpg

Subject: Re: The Disney Afternoon

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/29/12 at 11:01 am

Yes, I remember this! Most of the shows were from the late '80s. I mainly watched throughout the '80s and early '90s(1990 to about 1993) then after that I stopped watching the shows. I was a teenager, and watching cartoons seemed silly to me at the time after '93. Definitely remember Goof Troop though!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/29/12 at 12:18 pm

We finally got The Disney Channel on cable in 1994. Before that, I had only been able to see any of Disney's new cartoons on ABC Saturday mornings. My personal favorite "Disney Afternoon" show was Darkwing Duck, but all these shows really are classics.

The thing I really liked about TDC back then is that, in addition to all it's new programming, the network still openly embraced Disney's rich past in a way that it seems reluctant to do today for whatever reason. Is there any 90's kid that doesn't remember Mickey's Mouse Tracks and Donald's Quack Attack? Those shows helped introduce us to a much older period of Disney originals that we'd never have been able to see otherwise in the pre-everything-being-on-YouTube era.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/12 at 7:31 pm

This was another great block full of Disney's best cartoons before all this Hannah Montana crap today. This was a block that was launched from September 10, 1990 to August 29, 1997! We had great shows like Gargoyles, Bonkers, Ducktales, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Dark Wing Duck, Goof Troop and many others! Lets discuss this gem of nostalgia!  ;D

http://dogandponyshowwebsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DAgangFull.jpg

Why'd it last only 7 years?  ???

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 03/28/13 at 3:15 pm

Why'd it last only 7 years?  ???

Actually, it lasted 9 years till 1999. Only in 1997, the name was retired, and the block was reduced from 2 hours to 90 minutes. And then in 1999 this block was cancelled and replaced by Disney's One Two which then ran on UPN from 1999 to 2003, when this block then closed.

But, as to why either block was closed, when they did, I have no idea.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/28/13 at 6:59 pm

Oddly enough, I never watched Disney cartoons. Only Nick/Cartoon Network for some reason.

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/13 at 7:53 pm

I never got into the latter ones like Bonkers and Timon and Pumbaa, but I did watch them on and off.  The other ones though, I was glued to the TV

I didn't know Star Trek: The Next Gen.. er I mean Gargoyles was part of Disney's Afternoon

Check for new replies or respond here...