inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was The Simpsons controversial back in 1989?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/06/13 at 4:36 am

Was the Simpsons considered especially obscene when its first season aired? Were people like 'omg this show is disgusting' or was it more innovative because it was an animated sitcom?

Subject: Re: Was The Simpsons controversial back in 1989?

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/13 at 9:48 am

The Simpsons was a 90s show.  The first episode aired on December 17, 1989.

Off to the 90s you go ...

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/13 at 10:28 am

And that first episode was actually a Christmas special, I remember. The first "regular" episode aired January 1990.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/13 at 1:24 pm

I was too young to watch the debut or even remember, but I did watch starting about 1992 or 1993.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 2:57 pm

And that first episode was actually a Christmas special, I remember. The first "regular" episode aired January 1990.

And this was after The Tracey Ullman Show.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/06/13 at 5:11 pm

President George H. W. Bush certainly was no fan of the Simpsons.

From 1992:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrsoRgcyH9w

(sorry crap quality)

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/13 at 6:39 pm

Simpsons trivia:  The song 'Do the Bartman' reached #1 in the UK before the show even aired in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKC7Oz6ZrRU

Written By: belmont22 on 01/06/13 at 8:19 pm

Last time I checked 1989 was still the 80s :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/06/13 at 8:31 pm

President George H. W. Bush certainly was no fan of the Simpsons.

From 1992:

(sorry crap quality)

Yeah, this video sums it up pretty well. I think Bart Simpsons' name was mentioned more times during the 1992 Republican Convention than Dan Quayle's.

Even though I'm too young to remember it first hand, The Simpsons was most certainly controversial in the early 90's (not so sure about 1989). In fact, alot of the early Bart merchendise (particularly the "Underachiever and proud of it" shirt) had already been banned in schools by late 1990. In the fall of that year, when Fox moved the show to Thursday nights to compete head-to-head against The Cosby Show, the "Bill vs. Bart" showdown was treated by most in the media as a battle of good (Cosby) against bad (Simpsons).

Personally, I think it was The Simpsons more subversive humor (in it's sarcastic mocking of American institutions like school, church and government) that really got the "Culture Warriors" all fired up.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/06/13 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, this video sums it up pretty well. I think Bart Simpsons' name was mentioned more times during the 1992 Republican Convention than Dan Quayle's.

Even though I'm too young to remember it first hand, The Simpsons was most certainly controversial in the early 90's (not so sure about 1989). In fact, alot of the early Bart merchendise (particularly the "Underachiever and proud of it" shirt) had already been banned in schools by late 1990. In the fall of that year, when Fox moved the show to Thursday nights to compete head-to-head against The Cosby Show, the "Bill vs. Bart" showdown was treated by most in the media as a battle of good (Cosby) against bad (Simpsons).

Personally, I think it was The Simpsons more subversive humor (in it's sarcastic mocking of American institutions like school, church and government) that really got the "Culture Warriors" all fired up.

Yes, I don't think it was controversial for the same reasons as South Park which is truly a disgusting show.  ;D More because it was anti-authoritarian and anti-establishment.

Beavis and Butt-head was kind of in between. It was crude and at times gross but compared South Park and Family Guy it's actually pretty innocent in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/13 at 6:41 am

Simpsons trivia:  The song 'Do the Bartman' reached #1 in the UK before the show even aired in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKC7Oz6ZrRU

I love this video.  ;D

Written By: Mashedbutton1 on 02/23/13 at 10:03 am

Here is a clip on the banning of simpsons shirts in 1990. I remember in the 90s many parents and teachers found the simpsons very vulgar and they thought that even teenagers (13-15) shouldn't be allowed to watch it. I had some friends that were not allowed to watch the simpsons when we were young back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_yewJb8ht4

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/13 at 7:50 pm

I don't remember The Simpsons being controversial but I do remember it being 'hip' when it first arrived on UK shores.

Personally, I think George Bush Snr made it more 'hip' than it had any right to be by saying that families should be more like The Waltons and less like The Simpsons.

If a politician hates it, chances are the public love it.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/23/13 at 8:40 pm

A friend once told me that he saw Nirvana in concert in Omaha about a year before Kurt Cobain did, and in between songs Kurt asked the crowd, "Any of you heard of a place in Lincoln called Duffy's?" The crowd cheered.

"That's the first place where we saw The Simpsons."

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/13 at 2:27 pm

William Bennett (Drug Czar, Reagan's EdSec,ultra right-winger) said he wanted to sit down and have a talk with that little "spikehead" kid.

Matt Groening said, Bart Simpson is a cartoon.  I don't what YOU'VE been smoking!
;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/03/13 at 5:41 pm

George Bush Senior said "Families should act more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons."  ::)  ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/03/13 at 5:45 pm

George Bush Senior said "Families should act more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons."  ::)  ::)

;)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/13 at 6:15 am

how do The Waltons act?

Written By: warped on 03/04/13 at 7:38 am

how do The Waltons act?

The Waltons:

http://fashionhighclass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fashion-style-punk.jpg

:D

Howard have you heard of the 70s TV show "The Waltons". It ran for 8 or 9 years. Late 1930s early 1940 in Virginia. Ring a bell?
These are the TV Waltons.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/10/article-2024234-0D5EBFC200000578-233_468x669.jpg

My favorite character was Granpa.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/13 at 7:47 pm

The Waltons:

http://fashionhighclass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fashion-style-punk.jpg

Howard have you heard of the 70s TV show "The Waltons". It ran for 8 or 9 years. Late 1930s early 1940 in Virginia. Ring a bell?
These are the TV Waltons.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/10/article-2024234-0D5EBFC200000578-233_468x669.jpg

My favorite character was Granpa.

Yes I've heard of The Waltons, just never saw the show.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/04/13 at 9:47 pm

Yes I've heard of The Waltons, just never saw the show.

qpmRcP8S7Bo

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/13 at 9:54 pm

The Simpsons were a married nuclear family with a stay-a-home mom and a career dad and they went to church every Sunday.  What's more...

THEY'RE A CARTOON, WHAT R U F**KING HIGH?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/04/13 at 10:03 pm

The Simpsons were a married nuclear family with a stay-a-home mom and a career dad and they went to church every Sunday.  What's more...

THEY'RE A CARTOON, WHAT R U F**KING HIGH?

I didn't say that.  George Bush Senior said that.  ::) That's how out of touch with reality he was. ::)

Written By: warped on 03/05/13 at 6:25 am

I didn't say that.  George Bush Senior said that.  ::) That's how out of touch with reality he was. ::)

I think Max's comment was meant for Mr. Bush, not you.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/05/13 at 6:57 am

qpmRcP8S7Bo

I wasn't born during that era.

Written By: warped on 03/05/13 at 6:58 am

I wasn't born during that era.

I just adored "The Waltons", until John Boy left. It wasn't the same after that.

Check for new replies or respond here...