inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the Simpsons stop being good in your opinion?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/13 at 1:31 pm

To me I stopped watching any new episodes starting about 2004. It just wasn't entertaining anymore!

A lot of critics and people say that after 1998 it stopped being good. And by 2000, was terrible.

What do you think?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Columnists/Columnists/2012/2/13/1329149361011/The-Simpsons-007.jpg

Subject: Re: When did the Simpsons stop being good in your opinion?

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/06/13 at 1:42 pm

Pretty much agree with the critics.

1990-97 was great.
1998 was okay too.
1999 was so-so.
2000 and beyond? Forget it.

The Simpsons was, does and always will be the 90s episodes as far as I'm concerned. Although I did watch the movie, but the movie could've been better.

Written By: warped on 01/06/13 at 1:45 pm

The Simpsons began to lose their edge in the late 1990s. It hasn't jumped the shark by any means, just not as good as it used to be. There are still some funny moments now and then, but the majority of their classic episodes are within the first seven to ten years.

Written By: 1993 on 01/06/13 at 2:18 pm

1996 and onward. 1996 they started to be more forced and went for more cheesy contrived "homer gets hurt" gags (back then it was more subtle and you didn't see it coming as much when he injured himself...such as "i'm going to open and close my mouth, and if this pie gets in the way, it's his own fault")

also you had certain characters have dramatic changes, ned snapped and went crazy in "hurrican neddy". They stopped being clever and subtle with Smithers homosexuality...way too many guest stars showing up and forced into forgettable roles.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 2:54 pm

I don't watch it as much, I lost interest in it but I do watch it once in a while.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 2:56 pm

To me I stopped watching any new episodes starting about 2004. It just wasn't entertaining anymore!

A lot of critics and people say that after 1998 it stopped being good. And by 2000, was terrible.

What do you think?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Columnists/Columnists/2012/2/13/1329149361011/The-Simpsons-007.jpg

What I can't believe The Simpsons have been on the air for almost 25 years.  :o

Written By: nally on 01/06/13 at 4:07 pm

The Simpsons began to lose their edge in the late 1990s. It hasn't jumped the shark by any means, just not as good as it used to be. There are still some funny moments now and then, but the majority of their classic episodes are within the first seven to ten years.

I totally agree; after about 1995 or so it just hasn't been the same. Occasionally I might watch a newer episode (and by newer, I mean since the mid-to-late 90's, even though that's a lengthy time period now...), but it doesn't have the same feel as those from the show's first five seasons as a standalone show.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/13 at 4:33 pm

I totally agree; after about 1995 or so it just hasn't been the same. Occasionally I might watch a newer episode (and by newer, I mean since the mid-to-late 90's, even though that's a lengthy time period now...), but it doesn't have the same feel as those from the show's first five seasons as a standalone show.

Yeah, after the mid 90s the show was too gimmicky for some folks, but I thought even the 1995 to 2000 era was okay. And by 2004 I just thought the show was tired and cliche. I guess I don't mind the gimmicks which is why I kept watching longer than most people.

Written By: nally on 01/06/13 at 4:35 pm

...and there were some episodes from the 2000s decade that I actually liked. Still, it's just not the same show as it was 20+ years ago.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/07/13 at 11:57 pm

I stopped watching the Simpsons around 2005/2006, when Family Guy became more popular.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/13 at 6:51 am

I stopped watching the Simpsons around 2005/2006, when Family Guy became more popular.

I like Family Guy more than The Simpsons.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/08/13 at 7:48 pm

I think it's actually still alright but the best years would be 1989-96 probably. I just don't watch TV at all and I wish they quit earlier so the show could be a classic.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/09/13 at 8:38 am

When contemporaries such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are now on their third series (fourth if you count The Next Mutation), its quite a testament for any show (in particular animation since an average show only lasts about three seasons) to last 25 years. I think of it like the Young and the Restless or Live! with Kelly and Michael (Its a continuation since the Regis Philbin/Kathie Lee Gifford era) that just continues a winning formula with new plots as new trends occur over time, yet still retains the same cast frozen in time, 2D animation, and even the same Gracie Films logo at the end. That said, I watched the Simpsons much more in the '90s (especially until around 1997) than I've ever watched since. There are still episodes that are better than others and rival some early episodes, its just that it was a lot more innovative back then with concepts. There are countless pages about all of the Simpsons' references, so there is still a lot of support left; there has been so much new stuff since that its difficult to compete with more choices than ever, so The Simpsons relies on a bunch of hardcore fans (as is the case with many shows nowadays).

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/09/13 at 9:29 pm

1989-96 probably.

Just my opinion, but I'd add 97 in there too.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/13/13 at 10:03 am

I still love the 1990-91 episodes, they have a charm to them. It's scary to think watching them now would be the same time gap as watching 1967 TV in 1990! But the series peak was around 1992-94 with episodes like Krusty gets Kancelled, Last Exit to Springfield, Rosebud, Marge vs the Monorail which had a real 'epic' feel to them.

I'm a 1987-er and exchanging quotes from these episodes with my big sister's boyfriend (1970) was a big part of my childhood. By contrast, I don't feel there is as much about current culture to connect me with my niece's generation (born in 2005) even though there is more or less the same age gap. Apart from films she likes which are over 15 years before her time like Beetlejuice and Ferris Bueller! Many on here agree that Y is closer to X than Z. I digress...

Season 8 was also a strong season (1996-97) but downhill after that IMO. I haven't bothered much with the show since 2000.

Written By: af2010 on 01/13/13 at 10:53 am

I think it started going downhill around the late 90s.  It seemed like every episode had some celebrity guest, and the plots just became weaker.  The earlier episodes weren't only funnier, the storylines were also a lot better.  I'll watch it every now and then (especially if it's a classic episode), but I don't really pay attention to the new ones.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/15/13 at 5:28 am

I sort of disagree, I think the Simpsons was still quite fresh and funny after 2000. I'd say the quality really dropped by about 2003-2004 or though, after which I stopped watching. I think the greatest episodes are spread out throughout the 90s with a few in the 00s. Some say the mid 90s was the absolute peak of the Simpsons, like seasons 3-7 or so, and I'm probably inclined to agree, although I think the late 90s was almost as good. I'm surprised they're even still making new episodes lol. All those current references to youtube or Justin Bieber are just kind of corny. It's amazing to think Bart is in his mid 30s now.

Written By: nally on 01/15/13 at 3:29 pm

It's amazing to think Bart is in his mid 30s now.

Well he would be, if the characters got older each year. In fact, ALL the Simpson kids would be adults by now (even Maggie, who'd be ~mid 20s).

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 3:48 pm

Homer is what? 36? So if we forget the Ullman years, he'd be turning 60 this year.

Mr Burns I believe they've hinted a few times is 104. So happy 128th to him

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/15/13 at 5:46 pm

1996 and onward. 1996 they started to be more forced and went for more cheesy contrived "homer gets hurt" gags (back then it was more subtle and you didn't see it coming as much when he injured himself...such as "i'm going to open and close my mouth, and if this pie gets in the way, it's his own fault")

also you had certain characters have dramatic changes, ned snapped and went crazy in "hurrican neddy". They stopped being clever and subtle with Smithers homosexuality...way too many guest stars showing up and forced into forgettable roles.

Homer's character had a lot more depth particularly in the first season - still a bit oafish and incompetent but not the borderline retard he later becomes. I mean getting depressed and contemplating suicide in Homer's Odyssey, pretty deep stuff!

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/15/13 at 7:45 pm

Homer's character had a lot more depth particularly in the first season - still a bit oafish and incompetent but not the borderline retard he later becomes. I mean getting depressed and contemplating suicide in Homer's Odyssey, pretty deep stuff!

I don't really like the homer of seasons 1 and 2. I remember in an interview the producers were saying they thought he was too grumpy and not humorous enough so they changed him. Early on Bart was the star of the show but soon Homer eclipsed him.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 6:59 am

Well he would be, if the characters got older each year. In fact, ALL the Simpson kids would be adults by now (even Maggie, who'd be ~mid 20s).

Matt Groenig doesn't want to age the characters.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 7:00 am

Mr Burns I believe they've hinted a few times is 104. So happy 128th to him

He looks good at 104.

Written By: warped on 01/16/13 at 7:06 am

If they did, a "mid-20s" Maggie making her way around the world with a pacifier in her mouth, never uttering a word in her entire life would be carted off to an insane asylum ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 8:05 am

If they did, a "mid-20s" Maggie making her way around the world with a pacifier in her mouth, never uttering a word in her entire life would be carted off to an insane asylum ;D

But I think she talked once. ???

Written By: nally on 01/16/13 at 10:50 am

But I think she talked once. ???

Yes, sometime in the mid-1990s I think. But that was never built upon.

Written By: warped on 01/16/13 at 12:24 pm

Yes, sometime in the mid-1990s I think. But that was never built upon.

She said "Daddy". Recall it was Liz Taylor's voice.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 12:37 pm

She said "Daddy". Recall it was Liz Taylor's voice.

I'll have to find it.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 12:38 pm

I remember when Bart thought he was talking to Michael Jackson.

Written By: 1993 on 01/16/13 at 2:13 pm

Yep. Remember that episode. 1991...Michael Jackson was really Leon Kompowsky...a bricklayer from Paterson NJ. My ears perked up when I heard that. Paterson wasn't too far from where I lived (and it's a dump)

Written By: Howard on 01/17/13 at 6:58 am

Yep. Remember that episode. 1991...Michael Jackson was really Leon Kompowsky...a bricklayer from Paterson NJ. My ears perked up when I heard that. Paterson wasn't too far from where I lived (and it's a dump)

I could've sworn it sounded just like MJ.

Written By: 1993 on 01/17/13 at 10:22 am

I could've sworn it sounded just like MJ.

That was the real MJ doing the voice for the episode...they just credited him under a different name as well.

Written By: nally on 01/17/13 at 10:30 am

I remember that episode. Homer is taken to some mental institute, and he meets a guy who claims to be Michael Jackson, due to the way he talks. Soon Bart finds out, and believes it is actually Michael Jackson, until the guy blows his cover and admits who he really is.

The title of that episode, btw, is Stark Raving Dad.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/18/13 at 4:33 am

I remember that episode. Homer is taken to some mental institute, and he meets a guy who claims to be Michael Jackson, due to the way he talks. Soon Bart finds out, and believes it is actually Michael Jackson, until the guy blows his cover and admits who he really is.

I remember that episode too, and after that I didn't want to wear a pink shirt to school because I thought it will get me thrown into a mental institution. Actually, I did find out there are other reasons not to wear a pink shirt in the 7th grade, in the early 90's (unless it was a Hypercolor).

Written By: Howard on 01/18/13 at 7:38 pm

I remember that episode.

Written By: mashedbutton1 on 02/24/13 at 2:55 am

The simpsons started to loose relevance as pop cultural fad around 1994, yet the episodes were top notch and constantly improving. However the quality dropped around 1999-2000. By then we more into south park anyways. To be honest I think the characters and stories were played out for many but ironically all this merchandise and video games were coming out like crazy all through the 2000s.

Written By: nally on 02/24/13 at 11:24 am

The simpsons started to loose relevance as pop cultural fad around 1994, yet the episodes were top notch and constantly improving. However the quality dropped around 1999-2000. By then we more into south park anyways. To be honest I think the characters and stories were played out for many but ironically all this merchandise and video games were coming out like crazy all through the 2000s.

Hey, even South Park has stood the test of time, while some people think it, like the Simpsons, has been on long enough...

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/13 at 2:21 pm

Simpson's cultural relevance in my opinion was 1990 to 1995.

They were HUGE during those years!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/13 at 3:13 pm

Hey, even South Park has stood the test of time, while some people think it, like the Simpsons, has been on long enough...

close to 25 years.

Written By: Bobby on 02/24/13 at 4:24 pm

He did show an episode with The Simpsons grown up called 'Bart to the future' in 2000. I wasn't keen on the episode so am glad Groening didn't age the characters permanently.

That was the real MJ doing the voice for the episode...they just credited him under a different name as well.

That's right. Michael Jackson couldn't be credited under his real name because of contract obligations.

I haven't seen the last few series of South Park but it seemed to get better as time goes by. A very clever show that is undermined because people only see it's subversive profane qualities.

Written By: Bobby on 02/24/13 at 4:54 pm

I personally thought the first chink in The Simpsons armour started when Principal Skinner was revealed to be Armin Tamzarian in 'The Principal and the Pauper' in season 9. I watched this in utter disbelief! Principal Skinner was a very established character in the show so to do the switch and say he was somebody else almost made me stop watching. However, I have stopped buying The Simpsons box-sets at season 12. It was the episode Homer vs. Dignity where I think it 'jumped the shark'. In this episode it is implied that Homer gets raped by a panda. It made me realise I wasn't watching The Simpsons as I knew it.

I watched an episode a few years ago that was hyped up because it was actually written by Ricky Gervais about a reality TV show and it stunk rotten.

I watched a Simpsons episode recently and it was trying to be Family Guy! What cack!

Here is an interesting article from Wikipedia about the declining standards of The Simpsons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_issue_of_The_Simpsons

Written By: Howard on 02/25/13 at 6:45 am

When do you think Simpsons will be cancelled? ???

Written By: Bobby on 02/25/13 at 5:37 pm

When do you think Simpsons will be cancelled? ???

Sadly Howard, not soon enough.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/13 at 5:53 pm

By 1999 I saw chinks in the show too. And by 2005 I stopped watching. It will stand as pretty much a 90s phenomenon, although it influenced later cartoons.

Written By: Bobby on 02/25/13 at 6:33 pm

By 1999 I saw chinks in the show too. And by 2005 I stopped watching. It will stand as pretty much a 90s phenomenon, although it influenced later cartoons.

Yeah I see it that way too. I am probably one of the few people that really liked the first season of The Simpsons. I loved that feeling of experimentation and 'working out the kinks' vibe I get from it and I actually thought it was at it's strongest peak around 1991.

Interestingly, there were only 13 episodes in season 1 of The Simpsons and that jumped consistently to 22-25 over the years. I think this made a rod for The Simpson's back. South Park usually have between 13-16 episodes a season. The most episodes in a single season of South Park was 18 in season 2 so far though they have been consistently releasing 14 episodes a season since season 8 about 9 years ago. Family Guy is more haphazard having 27 episodes in season 4 (30 if you count Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story) yet 7 episodes in the first season and 12 in season 6.

Written By: wildcard on 02/25/13 at 6:36 pm

Yeah I see it that way too. I am probably one of the few people that really liked the first season of The Simpsons. I loved that feeling of experimentation and 'working out the kinks' vibe I get from it and I actually thought it was at it's strongest peak around 1991.

Interestingly, there were only 13 episodes in season 1 of The Simpsons and that jumped consistently to 22-25 over the years. I think this made a rod for The Simpson's back. South Park usually have between 13-16 episodes a season. The most episodes in a single season of South Park was 18 in season 2 so far though they have been consistently releasing 14 episodes a season since season 8 about 9 years ago. Family Guy is more haphazard having 27 episodes in season 4 (30 if you count Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story) yet 7 episodes in the first season and 12 in season 6.

me too

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/13 at 8:18 pm

me too

Cool!  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/26/13 at 6:29 am

So I guess they'll never have a finale?

Written By: warped on 02/26/13 at 7:54 am

So I guess they'll never have a finale?

They might. You never know. It they have enough time to plan it they will.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/26/13 at 1:11 pm

I think it stopped being funny in 1996 after the episode with the Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Cypress Hill and Peter Frampton.  :( But I just kept right on watching untill about 2009.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/13 at 2:28 pm

I think the show jumped the shark around 2000.

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/05/13 at 10:26 am

Seasons 4 thru 11 were the best for me.  Before that, Homer's stupidity wasn't exploited enough, and after that it just stopped being funny.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/13 at 11:35 am

Seasons 4 thru 11 were the best for me. Before that, Homer's stupidity wasn't exploited enough, and after that it just stopped being funny.

I do notice the first few seasons, it was more tamed then the later ones.

Check for new replies or respond here...