inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids WB

Written By: NostalgicWanderer92 on 01/06/13 at 11:50 pm

Kids WB is considered one of the greatest children blocks of all time. Personally in my opinion, I liked Fox Kids more, but Kids WB did have some good shows. The block premiered on September 9, 1995 and ended on May 17, 2008. Tiny Toon Adventures was moved to Kids WB from Fox Kids since WB didn't need to air their shows on Fox Kids anymore. Pokemon was one of the most popular anime to appear on this block in 1998.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081227225839/kidswb/images/5/57/OriginalKidsWBLogo.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/kidswb/images/b/ba/Superman-DCAU.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080723043643/kidswb/images/e/ed/AnimaniacsLogo.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090528211911/kidswb/images/3/33/S%26TMTitle.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080723043916/kidswb/images/5/56/PATBLogo.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090528211717/kidswb/images/6/6a/FreakazoidTitle.jpg

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/pokemon_logo.jpg

Subject: Re: Kids WB

Written By: Starde on 01/08/13 at 8:50 pm

Loved Kids WB up til the early 2000s. I was definitely more of a Kids WB kid than a Fox kid.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/13 at 6:54 am

I enjoyed watching Pinky And The Brain.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 01/09/13 at 12:30 pm

Kids WB was awesome  :)

Written By: slim on 01/10/13 at 8:23 am

kids wb was so much better than fox kids!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/19/13 at 10:54 pm

Isn't funny, peculiar, that they yanked cartoons off in the afternoon in favour of more adult shows 5 years after after Fox Kids yanked their cartoons off?
I was really pissed off when Fox did that because it was in the middle of Transformers Robots In Disguise that they decided to do that.  :(

Written By: RG1995 on 01/20/13 at 12:44 am

Good stuff right there. Superman and Pokemon were two of my favorites.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/13 at 6:51 am

Isn't funny, peculiar, that they yanked cartoons off in the afternoon in favour of more adult shows 5 years after after Fox Kids yanked their cartoons off?
I was really pissed off when Fox did that because it was in the middle of Transformers Robots In Disguise that they decided to do that.  :(

When did this happen?  ???

Written By: NostalgicWanderer92 on 01/20/13 at 11:34 am

Fox took off Fox Kids in 2002 because they didn't want children's programming anymore. I knew Fox Kids was dying around 2001 when they stopped airing the block on weekdays and only started airing them on Saturdays. In 2003, they replaced  Fox Kids with the Fox Box and it had crappy programming. Kids WB did start going downhill in the early 2000s. Kids WB's best years was 1995 - 2001.

Written By: nally on 01/20/13 at 11:45 am

Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain were my favorites.

Also, during the 1999-2000 season, KidsWB put together a "Big Cartoonie Show", which was a combination of shorts from Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Looney Tunes, and Pinky & The Brain... each with a common (or similar) theme. And at the end, there'd be a typical tag from Animaniacs (theme music and all).

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/13 at 12:42 am

Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain were my favorites.

Also, during the 1999-2000 season, KidsWB put together a "Big Cartoonie Show", which was a combination of shorts from Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Looney Tunes, and Pinky & The Brain... each with a common (or similar) theme. And at the end, there'd be a typical tag from Animaniacs (theme music and all).

I was really big kid at heart.  I don't know why I don't want to grow up.  Perhaps it's because I had to grow up really fast that I didn't have time to be a kid.  :(

Written By: Howard on 01/21/13 at 6:22 am

I was really big kid at heart.  I don't know why I don't want to grow up.  Perhaps it's because I had to grow up really fast that I didn't have time to be a kid.  :(

The answer is that you want to live in your time warp and so do I, I enjoy nostalgia a lot.

Written By: nally on 01/21/13 at 1:03 pm

Oh yes, I can relate. Even now, I still like to watch those. In fact, Animaniacs can now be seen on the Hub channel on weekdays at 4pm (Pacific Time) for back-to-back episodes.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/21/13 at 2:22 pm

Oh yes, I can relate. Even now, I still like to watch those. In fact, Animaniacs can now be seen on the Hub channel on weekdays at 4pm (Pacific Time) for back-to-back episodes.

hmmm  wtf is that channel

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/13 at 3:11 pm

hmmm  wtf is that channel

http://www.hubworld.com/

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/21/13 at 9:17 pm

It used to air on Teletoon but for some dumb reason they yanked it.  I really wish that Teletoon Retro would air it.  I keep asking and asking about it but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.  :(

Written By: nally on 01/22/13 at 3:39 pm

It used to air on Teletoon but for some dumb reason they yanked it.  I really wish that Teletoon Retro would air it.  I keep asking and asking about it but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.  :(

That's too bad. However, I have not heard of "Teletoon", or if it is/was even available in the U.S.. It sounds like it was a fun channel, though. ;)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/22/13 at 4:10 pm

That's too bad. However, I have not heard of "Teletoon", or if it is/was even available in the U.S.. It sounds like it was a fun channel, though. ;)

Teletoon is available in Canada.  Even if the US cable/satllelite were able to pick up Teletoon it's going to be difficult to pick up all of the stuff that they air.

It was a very fun channel untill they took Animaniacs off.  Since then I haven't seen a decent thing on there since it aired.

Written By: nally on 01/22/13 at 7:17 pm

Teletoon is available in Canada.  Even if the US cable/satllelite were able to pick up Teletoon it's going to be difficult to pick up all of the stuff that they air.

It was a very fun channel untill they took Animaniacs off.  Since then I haven't seen a decent thing on there since it aired.

Thanks; I figured it might be Canada-based.

I can relate with the Boomerang channel; they used to air classic cartoons like Looney Tunes (even the real old stuff) but after they took that off the lineup I haven't really watched it much.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/23/13 at 2:46 am

Thanks; I figured it might be Canada-based.

I can relate with the Boomerang channel; they used to air classic cartoons like Looney Tunes (even the real old stuff) but after they took that off the lineup I haven't really watched it much.

Teletoon Retro airs The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show but it also airs the old uncut Loonie Tunes cartoons too.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:28 am

Teletoon Retro airs The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show but it also airs the old uncut Loonie Tunes cartoons too.  :)

In New York,it was always The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show.

Written By: nally on 01/23/13 at 4:48 pm

In New York,it was always The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show.

There was also the Bugs & Daffy Show...which aired pretty much the same stuff.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/05/13 at 5:31 pm

There was also the Bugs & Daffy Show...which aired pretty much the same stuff.

And there was Merrie Melodies.  :)

Written By: nally on 03/05/13 at 5:52 pm

Yes, that too. Fox Kids Network had a block of that (at least on my local affiliate) in the early 90's.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/13 at 6:41 am

I remember Merrie Melodies.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/12/13 at 2:17 pm

7XKNS0pwj3I

I kind of miss this.  Saturday mornings now are absolutely horrible.  :P

Fox doesn't have Saturday mornings anymore because they kind of pawned it off on the CW4Kids.  :P

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/14/13 at 1:54 pm

I loved Pinky and the Brain, Superman, Batman, Tiny Toons, and for a bit of time, Pokemon.  I was never that big into Animaniacs though.  It just seemed like a ham-handed rehash of Tex Avery gimmicks done in an uncreative way.  "Hello nurse" stops being funny after being said five million times.

I disagree with someone saying that it was better than Fox Kids.  Fox had X-Men, Spiderman, Power Rangers, and The Tick.

Written By: doglover44 on 03/19/13 at 11:14 am

I loved when they played Road Rovers and Pokemon never missed a new episode of Pokemon

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/15 at 8:47 pm

Although this is an old topic, Kids WB was one of the best kids blocks I've witnessed when I was a kid. In addition, this was the only block that aired on weekdays along with Saturdays.  There were amazing cartoons such as Batman Beyond, Pokemon, Static Shock and Superman: TAS. I'm glad I was able to witness the golden age of its existence. It was truly the best. The Silver Age was decent as  well as I still watched Kids WB until after 3rd Grade.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/04/15 at 9:02 pm

Although this is an old topic, Kids WB was one of the best kids blocks I've witnessed when I was a kid. In addition, this was the only block that aired on weekdays along with Saturdays.  There were amazing cartoons such as Batman Beyond, Pokemon, Static Shock and Superman: TAS. I'm glad I was able to witness the golden age of its existence. It was truly the best. The Silver Age was decent as  well as I still watched Kids WB until after 3rd Grade.

So what do you think are the early, golden, silver bronze and dark ages?

Written By: mqg96 on 10/05/15 at 12:54 am

I can answer that easily. I've talked to my older cousin about the earlier history and I know a chunk of the history myself watching it from 2001-2006. The golden age was 1995-2000, or the 1995-1996 school year to the 1999-2000 school year, when there was a perfect balance of classic DC/action cartoons and Warner Bros/Steven Spielberg comedy cartoons. The silver age was 2000-2005, or the 2000-2001 school year to the 2004-2005 school year, when there was just mainly action cartoons only including some anime. The bronze age was the 2005-2006 school year, basically the last season Kids WB was on the WB before it got shutdown, at the same time that school year was very transitional. Kids WB's weekday afternoon block got cancelled, shows like Jackie Chan Adventures, Mucha Lucha, What's New Scooby-Doo, and a many other popular shows left the schedule in place for shows like Johnny Test, Loonatics Unleashed, or Coconut Fred, which had very low ratings rather you liked the shows or not, and Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh's final seasons on Kids WB. Also Kids WB rebranded that school year with a new paint style look instead of the 3-D tower/city bumpers like they used previously throughout most of its history. Then finally, 2006-2008, the last two school years Kids WB existed on the CW, I consider those as its dark ages, with some shows still around that you may have liked which includes the Batman and Teen Titans (reruns), but by then the majority of the shows hardly anybody had interest in, there was barely any advertisements anymore, which lead to its cancellation.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/05/15 at 1:02 am

Let's review these bumpers!

Ky1Ve7l9G7Q

AFh-I6BRCts

2uzdTegagvA

NWqUtCM9OIc

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/05/15 at 8:01 am

I can answer that easily. I've talked to my older cousin about the earlier history and I know a chunk of the history myself watching it from 2001-2006. The golden age was 1995-2000, or the 1995-1996 school year to the 1999-2000 school year, when there was a perfect balance of classic DC/action cartoons and Warner Bros/Steven Spielberg comedy cartoons. The silver age was 2000-2005, or the 2000-2001 school year to the 2004-2005 school year, when there was just mainly action cartoons only including some anime. The bronze age was the 2005-2006 school year, basically the last season Kids WB was on the WB before it got shutdown, at the same time that school year was very transitional. Kids WB's weekday afternoon block got cancelled, shows like Jackie Chan Adventures, Mucha Lucha, What's New Scooby-Doo, and a many other popular shows left the schedule in place for shows like Johnny Test, Loonatics Unleashed, or Coconut Fred, which had very low ratings rather you liked the shows or not, and Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh's final seasons on Kids WB. Also Kids WB rebranded that school year with a new paint style look instead of the 3-D tower/city bumpers like they used previously throughout most of its history. Then finally, 2006-2008, the last two school years Kids WB existed on the CW, I consider those as its dark ages, with some shows still around that you may have liked which includes the Batman and Teen Titans (reruns), but by then the majority of the shows hardly anybody had interest in, there was barely any advertisements anymore, which lead to its cancellation.

Then I caught the tail end of the golden age then. But honestly, the ''Silver Age'' (specifically late 2000-mid 2004), was my all time favorite period. That was AMAZING!!! But I always thought the golden age was 1997-2003, same for regular WB.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/05/15 at 8:29 am

Then I caught the tail end of the golden age then. But honestly, the ''Silver Age'' (specifically late 2000-mid 2004), was my all time favorite period. That was AMAZING!!! But I always thought the golden age was 1997-2003, same for regular WB.

Late 2000-mid 2005 actually, was the silver age of Kids WB. The 2003-2004 season for Kids WB wasn't that much different than the 2004-2005 season with some exceptions. However, the 2005-2006 school year was a huge transitional shift as I already explained with a lot of new cheaper shows premiering and older ones leaving, including the weekday afternoon block getting discontinued and the final season of Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh on there. After that Kids WB moved to the CW it's final 2 seasons or school years. However, going by entire years, I agree overall that 2001-2004 was the peak of Kids WB for you and I! It was so dope and sick back then! Simpler time in life....

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/05/15 at 12:30 pm

Late 2000-mid 2005 actually, was the silver age of Kids WB. The 2003-2004 season for Kids WB wasn't that much different than the 2004-2005 season with some exceptions. However, the 2005-2006 school year was a huge transitional shift as I already explained with a lot of new cheaper shows premiering and older ones leaving, including the weekday afternoon block getting discontinued and the final season of Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh on there. After that Kids WB moved to the CW it's final 2 seasons or school years. However, going by entire years, I agree overall that 2001-2004 was the peak of Kids WB for you and I! It was so dope and sick back then! Simpler time in life....

Well I was trying to say earlier thaat the 2000-mid 2004 years were my overall favorite years of the company. 1999 as well. But yeah from he years I watched 1999-2004/05ish, Kids WB and even Disney channel to a degree were the ONLY networks that didn't go through major changes during my kid years.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/05/15 at 1:51 pm

Yeah I first watched Kids WB in Summer of 1999. Although I was very young my favorites were Pokemon, Animaniacs, Batman Beyond, Men In Black, & Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries. So I caught the tail end of the Golden Age when I was 3-4 years old, and I watched it for most of its Silver Age, although I personally stopped watching Kids WB around early 2005. My favorite years of watching the block were the years 1999-2003!

Written By: bchris02 on 10/10/15 at 4:11 pm

The Kids WB in 1999 was probably the last time I watched kid TV in the '90s.  I was 13 and outgrowing it, but my best friend at the time watched it so I did too.  The lineup included Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Reboot, and Batman/Superman Adventures.  I remember the lineup did change slightly from day to day.  Reboot wasn't always on.  Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain always were though.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/10/15 at 4:15 pm

It's amazing how dated these commercials are from 1999.  For some reason I remember the late '90s looking a little more modern than this.

UYxfyKVoafs

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/13/15 at 10:20 am

It's amazing how dated these commercials are from 1999.  For some reason I remember the late '90s looking a little more modern than this.

UYxfyKVoafs

I actually remember a few of these commercials and bumpers, especially the "Your watching Kids WB" bumper. I started watching Kids WB (from what I remember) in 1999.

I have a question do you find this weird and if you don't do you have some memories of watching cartoons in the very late 80's when you were 3-4 years old?

Because despite my memories for the most part at the time somewhat vague, I do clearly remember watching Kids WB back then, including the first season of Pokemon and others shows like Men In Black, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Superman TAS, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/13/15 at 3:28 pm

I actually remember a few of these commercials and bumpers, especially the "Your watching Kids WB" bumper. I started watching Kids WB (from what I remember) in 1999.

I have a question do you find this weird and if you don't do you have some memories of watching cartoons in the very late 80's when you were 3-4 years old?

Because despite my memories for the most part at the time somewhat vague, I do clearly remember watching Kids WB back then, including the first season of Pokemon and others shows like Men In Black, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Superman TAS, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, etc.

I'll just answer that question for myself by saying that I can vaguely remember watching cartoons during my preschool years. Not really anything concrete, but I do remember getting up on Saturday mornings in the early '90s to watch stuff like Garfield, and I can also barely recall when my parents took me to the theater for the first time ever to see "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze" in the Spring of 1991, which was just before I'd turned 4-years-old.

So, no, I don't find it all that odd that you would have some memories of watching cartoons at that age.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/14/15 at 6:53 am

I'll just answer that question for myself by saying that I can vaguely remember watching cartoons during my preschool years. Not really anything concrete, but I do remember getting up on Saturday mornings in the early '90s to watch stuff like Garfield, and I can also barely recall when my parents took me to the theater for the first time ever to see "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze" in the Spring of 1991, which was just before I'd turned 4-years-old.

So, no, I don't find it all that odd that you would have some memories of watching cartoons at that age.

My earliest memories of watching Cartoon Network and Toon Disney was in Spring 2001 when I had just turned 5, which was towards the end of my pre-K year. Those are obviously more vague memories since a lot of the pop culture was brand new to me. Most of my core/crystal clear memories of watching my favorite TV shows as a kid was from the start of 2002 & on. Matter of fact, I have no trouble remembering 2002 at 6 at all, it's like yesterday to me. There's a huge attitude change between your 5 & 6 year old self in life.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/14/15 at 12:56 pm

Thanks man! And yeah I remember summer of 1999 pretty well and watching Kids WB or ABC One Saturday morning on saturday mornings. I also remember watching Titanic on VHS with my family that year and being very scared!

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/19/15 at 9:20 am

The Kids WB in 1999 was probably the last time I watched kid TV in the '90s.  I was 13 and outgrowing it, but my best friend at the time watched it so I did too.  The lineup included Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Reboot, and Batman/Superman Adventures.  I remember the lineup did change slightly from day to day.  Reboot wasn't always on.  Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain always were though.

Same with me as I was 14 and about to enter high school just a few months after that block of commercials was aired, and I did watch Pokemon. As soon as I discovered the importance of high school was, I understood that kids stuff should be left until well after a career is established, and I basically sat the 2000s decade free of kids' TV to get me through HS/college/beginning of work. Now that I'm a bit more settled and more peers around my age are now parents, nostalgia on '90s (and some late '80s) kids TV is more acceptable. I'll have to say that it wasn't the same after the "Golden Age" ended. Sure, I appreciate your love for the "Silver Age" since I was too old at the time, but especially after taking a visit of the WB Studio Tour, it's easy to relate to all of the bumpers, the prop room, soundstages, Batman/Superman (there is currently an exhibit on the Studio Tour), etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/21/15 at 5:26 pm

I apologize for replying this late as I forgot. Now, for the answers these are the ages to me and here are some videos for each era

Early Age: 1995-1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cot4f8IPIb4

Golden Age: 1997-2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXWIckV9wFY

Silver Age: 2001-05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-DI3a7xcU

Bronze/Dark Age: 2005-08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_rxdExR5qY

Check for new replies or respond here...