inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons Children of the 90s Feel Old

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 11:00 am

http://www.inthe80s.com/feelold.shtml

On this site's sister site, there is a page about reasons children of the 80s feel old. Considering that it's been around over 10 years and I was actually reading it back then out of curiosity when I was a pre-teen, the truth is the 90s are long enough ago that people who grew up then, especially if you can remember more than half of the decade, are pretty old compared to today's teenagers and children as well!

The 1990s now range from being 13 to 23 years ago, or 18 years ago on average. Today's 30 year old was 6 when the decade started and 16 when the decade ended. The fact that even someone a few years shy of middle aged was a tiny child for much of the 90s is pretty depressing! Someone born in 1983 is only a few years older than me - they might not even remember anything before 1990. They could have been going online and trolling chat rooms back when they were a bratty twelve year old.

I am still super young, I was born in January 1990 and will turn 23 this Wednesday, yet I'm a full decade older than the youngest of today's teenagers starting in a few days. I'm actually already older than more than a third of the human beings alive on this planet today and someone born in 1983 is older than fully half of the people alive today!

You know, I actually think the 2010s are kind of cool, I don't hate them as much as most people my age and older do, but watching the New Years celebration a couple weeks ago, I realized I don't really *get* today's pop culture. I didn't like the 2000s that much but I definitely *got* them and feel like they are my era, along with the 90s. Today's music just doesn't speak to people my age, sure I have a few favorites, like Owl City, Carly Rae, Cheryl Cole, Imagine Dragons and so on but I can't help but feel like today's music is aimed at people at least 5 years my junior.

Gangnam Style was kinda cool for maybe the first couple times but I just don't understand it as a phenomenon the same way my youngest siblings born in the late 90s/early 00s do. I don't even think my sister born in 1994 can relate to it - it's pretty much a Generation Z phenomenon.

And I'm still getting used to the fact there is a fourth Halo game (is there a fifth now?) - I still think of the 2001 game as being cutting edge. Coming from someone who grew up with Super Mario 3, Prince of Persia, Day of The Tentacle and Twisted Metal 3 and 4. I remember in the mid 90s when the N64 came out how huge a deal it was that it was 3 dimensional!  ;D Online gaming was but a dream in those days.

Even though us 90s kids (I consider anyone born from 1979 to 1993 a 90s kid, on varying levels with some 80s/00s overlap respectively) do for the most part love iPhones, text messaging, Netflix and so on, they are fodder for the "when I was your age" stuff.

Unfortunately many people born in the 80s and even early 90s denigrate today's teenagers for being 'obsessed' with today's technology even though I know people who are older than 40 who are equally crazy about it.

It was only a few years ago than Generation X bashed on us Gen Yers for being obsessed with the Internet and our parents' generation were amazed at how 'diverse' and 'global' we were. Nowadays though, simply having the Web before you were a teenager or growing up with hip hop isn't enough to make you considered young.

You know what makes me feel old? Girl Meets World. A 1981 born playing a mom on TV is just really sad to me. Someone that age is more like a sister than a mom to me but would be plenty maternal to a 13 year old born in 2000. I wouldn't be too shocked if there is a 1990 born actress like Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Stewart (they'll be nearly 30 at the end of this decade) playing a mom on a major sitcom before we hit the 2020 mark.  :o

Subject: Re: Reasons Children of the 90s Feel Old

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/12/13 at 11:32 am

The '90s decade seems so old and dated to me right now. That is probably because I remember it well and when compared to today is just really dated and one can already tell it was another time.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 11:46 am

The '90s decade seems so old and dated to me right now. That is probably because I remember it well and when compared to today is just really dated and one can already tell it was another time.

Especially pre-1998, yeah indeed it just felt different being alive then. Might have been my age but even people older than me seem to think much the same.

I think it was because there was more mystery and less information available, even though the Internet existed not everybody had it and the search engines and all weren't nearly as good. Internet was pretty much not mainstream technology at all for the first 5 years of the 90s too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/12/13 at 12:00 pm

I will admit that I do (non jokingly) feel old from time to time, which I'm sure would seem silly to some of the older people on this site as I'm only 25 and a half years old. I think, for me, it's the fact that for my entire life I was always used to constantly being "the youngest" (particularly when I first started going online and people used to always tell me that the fact that an '87er could even go on message boards made them feel old), or having the only people considerably younger than me still be in like preschool. Heck, even when I first started lurking on this site back in 2005 I was basically the youngest person here. Now, out of nowhere, there are people more than a decade younger than me in high school. In the next few years, people born in the year I started high school, 2001, will be freshmen themselves. I think your mid 20's is the first time in your life when people born a significant amount of time after you (around 10 or so years or more) actually start getting old enough to make you feel kinda old yourself.

Technology is part of it to though. I grew up with a very low tech lifestyle, even for people my age (no cable until I was 7, my only computer was a Commodore 64 with no internet until I was 13, didn't own a 3D game console until I was nearly 11, no cell phone until I was 18, still buying cassette tapes until I was 13, didn't have an HDTV until I was 21, etc.) and it does feel weird that even people who are now well into high school, on average, grew up with a very different experience than mine. Now, like I said in the other thread, I don't think that makes them any worse of a person than me, but it damn sure does make me feel a little old. ;D

I agree on the music issue too. I did like a few 2012 songs, but I, for the most part, seemed to have checked on new musicians around the time I graduated high school. This isn't a brag either by the way, because alot of the music I liked growing up was pure garbage (Nu Metal anyone? ;D).

Like it or not folks, the 90's are getting old and there's nothing any of us can do to stop it. In less than 7 full years, 1990 will be 30 years old! :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/13 at 2:53 pm

Someone born in 1983 is only a few years older than me

Only 7 years? 7 years is quite a generational gap when it comes to childhood memories and teenage experiences: What was 1990 for them was 1997 to you... or 2000 vs. 2007. Just keep this in mind. I also can't really relate to late 70s born people when talking about childhood and my teens. Even 4-5 years is pretty much on the edge in this case.

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/12/13 at 2:59 pm

Oh yeah, for sure. If you have to be at least about 25 to remember 1990 (even older to have more than toddler memories), then there is no way that the 90s can reasonably be seen the same way that they were seen in say, 2005 (although I can see the older members on this website disagreeing with this, no matter how much time has passed). Even to remember 1999 beyond toddler memories, you'd basically need to be legal (as in 18 years old). There are teenagers alive today who weren't even born yet, not even on December 31st, 1999 and with each passing day, the percentage of teenagers born in the 2000s will slowly but surely rise. 

I spoke to someone born in 2000 the other day. She is going to be a teenager in two months. I asked her about her earliest memories and she has virtually no recollection of 2002 (she remembers a traumatic event, but I wouldn't really count that). This is one of this year's teenagers who has a surprisingly vivid memory. By that same standard, someone born in 1997 has no recollection of 1999. Memories at two or even three are rarely more than traumatic events and the like, so 1999 pop culture is probably alien to someone currently under the age of seventeen or eighteen.

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/12/13 at 3:03 pm

Only 7 years? 7 years is quite a generational gap when it comes to childhood memories and teenage experiences: What was 1990 for them was 1997 to you... or 2000 vs. 2007. Just keep this in mind. I also can't really relate to late 70s born people when talking about childhood and my teens. Even 4-5 years is pretty much on the edge in this case.

Yeah, a few years is usually about three. If you are born in 1990, someone born in 1987 or 1993 is a few years either way from you.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/13 at 3:08 pm

I think your mid 20's is the first time in your life when people born a significant amount of time after you (around 10 or so years or more) actually start getting old enough to make you feel kinda old yourself.

Yeah, that's what I have experienced - or I am still feeling too. Additionally, the government shortened the overall school time (elementary/middle/high school) from 13 to 12 years in my state in Germany and abolished compulsory military/civil service for males in 2011. That means, that young people are able to start university earlier and are therefore now MUCH younger than me. I started university at age 23 and now there are people born as late as 1994/95 on my campus.

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/12/13 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, that's what I have experienced - or I am still feeling too. Additionally, the government shortened the overall school time (elementary/middle/high school) from 13 to 12 years in my state in Germany and abolished compulsory military/civil service for males in 2011. That means, that young people are able to start university earlier and are therefore now MUCH younger than me. I started university at age 23 and now there are people born as late as 1994/95 on my campus.

People at university that can't even remember 1997 (unless they count their toddler memories)? See, this is what people are saying.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/13 at 5:04 pm

I fail to see a major generational gap between 1983 and 1990. I count 1983 as mid 80s -- I could however, say you could make a fair case for people born in the early 80s (1980-82) arguably being a different generation from late 80s/early 90s borns since they would remember much of the 80s quite well, as opposed to 1983-87 who would at best only remember fragments.

Age gap in full years is the only thing that matters. It's not relevant if somebody remembers the 80s or not IMO. I also don't really remember the 80s, but does this put me automatically closer to 90s birth years (that don't remember the 80s) than to 80s birth years that remember the 80s?

The 1983-87 'crowd' still remembers more stuff than somebody born in 1990. Let it just be the early 90s itself - and even that can make slight generational differences.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/12/13 at 5:40 pm

I noticed whenever people want to class their own generation or subgeneration, no one ever seems to be willing to put themselves, say, at the beginning of such a group. Always smackdab in the middle (which makes sense), or near the tail-end, as if wanting to feel like they relate more to the people up to several years older than them than the people just a few years younger than them. (I wonder how '82 babies feel about having to share their generation with people born as late as 2000? Even the '90ers complain about that sometimes).

Someone above said something about '87 to '93. That's "my group" because I'm a '90er, so it's only from my point of view (in fact, those are my age parameters for dating :P). But I don't think there's a set of defining characteristics that distinguish that particular set of birth years from someone else's (older or younger) point of view. There's no '83-'87 group or '88-'92 group unless someone is born in the middle of those years and feels it that way.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 5:43 pm

Age gap in full years is the only thing that matters. It's not relevant if somebody remembers the 80s or not IMO. I also don't really remember the 80s, but does this put me automatically closer to 90s birth years (that don't remember the 80s) than to 80s birth years that remember the 80s?

The 1983-87 'crowd' still remembers more stuff than somebody born in 1990. Let it just be the early 90s itself - and even that can make slight generational differences.

No it doesn't, but what I'm saying is the fact that early 80s borns can remember the 80s quite well whereas I wasn't even born until 1990 does make me feel like our experience of time is different in a highly significant way.

I guess what I'm saying is a generational difference to me implies more than just a few years. Anyways though I guess this topic has been considered decadeology so I probably shouldn't post in it from this point on!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/13 at 6:49 pm

There's no '83-'87 group or '88-'92 group unless someone is born in the middle of those years and feels it that way.

No, there is not. I was actually more referring to the 1983ers in comparison to somebody born 7 years later.

I just found Belmont's statement so interesting: On the one hand, 1983ers seemed so close to 1990ers to him, but 1982ers (only 1 year earlier) like worlds apart - and only because of one more year of '80s experience' (which is overrated anyway)...  :o ;)

That did not really make sense to me...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/13 at 6:56 pm

I guess what I'm saying is a generational difference to me implies more than just a few years.

When you are older, this is true. But I think there are definetly generational differences in childhood or youth culture if the age gap exceeds ca. 6/7 years. I have experienced it, because my sister is 8 years older than me.

Another example: My mum and her sister are 8.5 years apart (b. 1959 vs. late 1950). My aunt had a very conservative youth in the 60s, while my mum experienced the more liberal German 70s as a teen.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/13 at 6:59 pm

It's over 20 years now.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/13 at 7:01 pm

cause that group is about 30 years old now.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/12/13 at 7:37 pm

No, there is not. I was actually more referring to the 1983ers in comparison to somebody born 7 years later.

I just found Belmont's statement so interesting: On the one hand, 1983ers seemed so close to 1990ers to him, but 1982ers (only 1 year earlier) like worlds apart - and only because of one more year of '80s experience' (which is overrated anyway)...  :o ;)

That did not really make sense to me...

Not necessarily, I mean it would depend on the quality of their memory and such. I'd more say the difference between 80 and 83 would be measurable. But anyways ... I better shut up about this topic or else I will probably be punished.  :-X

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/13 at 9:50 pm

What do you call a funny discussion that goes nowhere?
Decade-lol-ogy

Yeah, I know.  I just don't care anymore

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/13/13 at 4:50 am

Belmont's breakdown (which is deleted now) made actually more sense then all those 'Which year had the best vibe'-like threads. And there are tons of them on this forum - not moderated.

Written By: af2010 on 01/13/13 at 11:50 am

I consider myself a "child of the 90s" (87er), but I wouldn't say I feel 'old'.  I think once you realize/accept that you're an adult, you actually feel younger.  It all depends on your perspective.

Having said that, it is kind of strange to think that my childhood is basically a foreign era to most of today's teens.  I think it's safe to say that the 90s decade was legitimately a 'long time ago', which doesn't seem right, but it's the truth.  The middle of the decade was almost 20 years ago, and that's a long time ago no matter how old you are.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 11:59 am

I consider myself a "child of the 90s" (87er), but I wouldn't say I feel 'old'.  I think once you realize/accept that you're an adult, you actually feel younger.  It all depends on your perspective.

Having said that, it is kind of strange to think that my childhood is basically a foreign era to most of today's teens.  I think it's safe to say that the 90s decade was legitimately a 'long time ago', which doesn't seem right, but it's the truth.  The middle of the decade was almost 20 years ago, and that's a long time ago no matter how old you are.

Yeah only the adult 18-19 year old teens would even remember 1999, I mean MAYBE a 17 year old. To be honest even TV shows and movies from the early 2000s seem kind of old. Little Miss Sunshine was filmed in 2002 and has a slightly old fashioned feel to it, though maybe it was just because of the way it was filmed and the fact it's more or less a remake of Lampoon's Vacation.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/13/13 at 12:05 pm

Yeah only the adult 18-19 year old teens would even remember 1999, I mean MAYBE a 17 year old.

I think you have to be at least 20 maybe 21 to remember 1999 as a 'Year 1999'.
For remembering 1999 and some events I would say even 16 would be still sufficient since I can't disclaim that I don't remember stuff from 1989 - and I am 26.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/13/13 at 2:42 pm

If you think about it this way - many 90s kids will have grown up with early episodes of the Simpsons. Repeats of the 1990 episodes were still common when I started watching aged 6 and 7, I'm a 1987er. Being able to remember those episodes now is like being able to remember TV from 1967 in 1990, that gives you an idea of how dated the early 90s are!

90s kids can remember Britpop, a genre that would be as alien to today's generation as disco and early punk was to 90s kids. Buying CDs will be as strange to Generation Z as vinyl was to us.

We can clearly remember the days before the internet (not strictly true as it's a 60s invention but for the average consumer it is the case), in fact I think we got the best of both worlds - a clear idea of what pre-internet life was like but young enough to fully embrace the technology.

I wouldn't say I feel old but I certainly feel I've seen a lot of changes already.

Thanks for the topic belmont22 :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/13/13 at 2:55 pm

Buying CDs will be as strange to Generation Z as vinyl was to us.

I am not sure about this. I don't remember vinyl being regularly in stores. But CDs are still available and today's teenagers (Gen Z) are still exposed to them and maybe also buy CDs.

Vinyl is not that strange to me by the way, because where I live it was not uncommon to have a record player and (older) records as a secondary equipment in the living-room - even in the 90s.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/13 at 2:56 pm

What do you call a funny discussion that goes nowhere?
Decade-lol-ogy

Yeah, I know.  I just don't care anymore

I agree.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/13 at 2:58 pm

I think you have to be at least 20 maybe 21 to remember 1999 as a 'Year 1999'.
For remembering 1999 and some events I would say even 16 would be still sufficient since I can't disclaim that I don't remember stuff from 1989 - and I am 26.

Or someone who was born in the 1970's.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/13/13 at 3:09 pm

Vinyl is not that strange to me by the way, because where I live it was not uncommon to have a record player and (older) records as a secondary equipment in the living-room - even in the 90s.

Actually same here, I actually shared a lot of tastes in music with my older sister because of all the vinyl and cassette tapes lying around the house. You may be right about the CDs but in the UK the last major music retailer HMV is on the brink of bankruptcy. I think in 2-3 years it will be almost obsolete but still cherished by the collectors (as vinyl is now).

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:05 pm

If you think about it this way - many 90s kids will have grown up with early episodes of the Simpsons. Repeats of the 1990 episodes were still common when I started watching aged 6 and 7, I'm a 1987er. Being able to remember those episodes now is like being able to remember TV from 1967 in 1990, that gives you an idea of how dated the early 90s are!

90s kids can remember Britpop, a genre that would be as alien to today's generation as disco and early punk was to 90s kids. Buying CDs will be as strange to Generation Z as vinyl was to us.

We can clearly remember the days before the internet (not strictly true as it's a 60s invention but for the average consumer it is the case), in fact I think we got the best of both worlds - a clear idea of what pre-internet life was like but young enough to fully embrace the technology.

I wouldn't say I feel old but I certainly feel I've seen a lot of changes already.

Thanks for the topic belmont22 :)

Yeah it's just insane that 1990 is as close to the Summer of Love as it is to the present!

As far as CDs, I think they will seem strange to the later Gen Zers, like someone born in 2008 or something, but keep in mind Gen Z goes back as far as 1995 by many definitions so to the older Zers CDs would still be quite familiar items. CDs today are about as relevant as vinyl was in 1990, ie clearly on the way out but still present.

Oddly, vinyl is more relevant today than it was 15 years ago, especially where I live. Since we can just download music, if you want to own the 'hard copy' might as well go all the way and get the vinyl!

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, I've wondered if I can legit claim to remember 'pre-Internet' times. Personally I would say yes, since my memories start in 1992/93 and the Internet didn't really become mainstream until the second half of 1995, so I do remember a couple years before the true dawn of the Internet age.

The Web was invented in 1989 but it wasn't released to the public until 1991 and it took several years for people to take notice of it. Online services were pretty popular in the late 80s/early 90s but it was definitely for nerds and early adapters, there wasn't a mainstream Internet culture at all until 1995/96 so I'd say if you can remember the year 1994, you could claim to remember 'before the Internet' pretty legitimately.

Only 10 percent of Americans were online in 1994 and the Web was mostly limited to the US and just a few other countries at that time. By 1996, something like a quarter of households in the United States were online which is enough that it could be considered quite mainstream already.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:09 pm

cause that group is about 30 years old now.

Not so fast, the people born in December of 1987 only just turned 25 lol.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/13/13 at 4:16 pm

CDs today are about as relevant as vinyl was in 1990, ie clearly on the way out but still present.

The difference is that there is not a 'real' physical medium that replaces CDs like it was the case during the 80s. So the music corner in electronic stores still look not very different than 10-20 years ago.

Oddly, vinyl is more relevant today than it was 15 years ago, especially where I live. Since we can just download music, if you want to own the 'hard copy' might as well go all the way and get the vinyl!

That's true. I got a record player for Christmas in 1997 and asked my father if we could go out to town to buy some vinyl records... there was no way to get new ones at that time. In 2013 it's no problem: It's maybe just a small corner in the store, but at least it's there.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/13/13 at 4:20 pm

Yeah, I've wondered if I can legit claim to remember 'pre-Internet' times. Personally I would say yes, since my memories start in 1992/93 and the Internet didn't really become mainstream until the second half of 1995, so I do remember a couple years before the true dawn of the Internet age.

The Web was invented in 1989 but it wasn't released to the public until 1991 and it took several years for people to take notice of it. Online services were pretty popular in the late 80s/early 90s but it was definitely for nerds and early adapters, there wasn't a mainstream Internet culture at all until 1995/96 so I'd say if you can remember the year 1994, you could claim to remember 'before the Internet' pretty legitimately.

Only 10 percent of Americans were online in 1994 and the Web was mostly limited to the US and just a few other countries at that time. By 1996, something like a quarter of households in the United States were online which is enough that it could be considered quite mainstream already.

It would be interesting to see the statistics for the United Kingdom (checked Google, not helpful) because people on this forum often talk about internet being mainstream in 1996, for here I think it was a year or two later. I certainly don't remember many in my class having it but on the other hand the cybercentre at the library and the cybercafe were very busy in 1997.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/13/13 at 4:22 pm

Even though, internet was available in the 90s, I still don't consider that era the 'internet age' - except for 1999 and maybe 1998. But that's basically it. The social and cultural relevance between 1990 and 1997 was so minor that I always consider my entire childhood (except for the very very late part of it (12/13) 'pre-internet'.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:25 pm

The difference is that there is not a 'real' physical medium that replaces CDs like it was the case during the 80s. So the music corner in electronic stores still look not very different than 10-20 years ago.

That's true. I got a record player for Christmas in 1997 and asked my father if we could go out to town to buy some vinyl records... there was no way to get new ones at that time. In 2013 it's no problem: It's maybe just a small corner in the store, but at least it's there.

That's true, still though there are just a lot fewer music stores today than there were 10-20 years ago.

I live in Portland and there are actually music stores here that still specialize in vinyl. Hipsters are good for something I guess!  ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:26 pm

It would be interesting to see the statistics for the United Kingdom (checked Google, not helpful) because people on this forum often talk about internet being mainstream in 1996, for here I think it was a year or two later. I certainly don't remember many in my class having it but on the other hand the cybercentre at the library and the cybercafe were very busy in 1997.

Oh probably yeah, I think in the UK a lot of things come a year or two before or after they do here. Like the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys were big in 1996 but didn't get popular here until '97.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain parts of the UK even caught on a bit later than others, like I wonder if Newcastle took a few months longer than London to hop on the dot com bandwagon for example. Certainly in the US high speed Internet came later to more remote areas than it did to major cities, there's probably even a few remote counties today where dial up is all there is.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 4:30 pm

Even though, internet was available in the 90s, I still don't consider that era the 'internet age' - except for 1999 and maybe 1998. But that's basically it. The social and cultural relevance between 1990 and 1997 was so minor that I always consider my entire childhood (except for the very very late part of it (12/13) 'pre-internet'.

Yeah I could more or less agree with that - I don't highly associate the mid 90s with the Internet even though it was popular. Even as late as 1995 it was still thought by some the Internet was overhyped and wouldn't catch on - oh how wrong they were!  ;D

Actually even in 1999 it wasn't unusual not to have the Web at home.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/13/13 at 4:40 pm

Yeah I could more or less agree with that - I don't highly associate the mid 90s with the Internet even though it was popular. Even as late as 1995 it was still thought by some the Internet was overhyped and wouldn't catch on - oh how wrong they were!  ;D

Actually even in 1999 it wasn't unusual not to have the Web at home.

You mention 1999 - that was the year I first got the web!

Another factor was fixed rate surfing as opposed to pay-per-minute - for the first year I had the internet I was always watching the clock and it was more common to have the PC on with no internet. Logging on was almost an 'event' especially with all the squiggly modem noises! Broadband also obviously brought huge changes. I would say the web of 2006 with social networking and YT becoming mainstream is similar to that of today, before that it was quite different, a more passive internet without the level of participation of today.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/13/13 at 6:14 pm

You mention 1999 - that was the year I first got the web!

Another factor was fixed rate surfing as opposed to pay-per-minute - for the first year I had the internet I was always watching the clock and it was more common to have the PC on with no internet. Logging on was almost an 'event' especially with all the squiggly modem noises! Broadband also obviously brought huge changes. I would say the web of 2006 with social networking and YT becoming mainstream is similar to that of today, before that it was quite different, a more passive internet without the level of participation of today.

Yeah, people forget that Web 1.0 was way different than Web 2.0. The pre-2005 internet was much less "interactive" in that the most you could really do on it was look up information, or maybe send out a few e-mails.. My dail-up connection was so slow that even playing games online was basically an impossibility. Compare that to today where you can actually interact with celebrities on Twitter and Facebook, or watch like every television show ever created on YouTube and it really illustrates the difference.

When it comes to what classifies as "pre-internet" age, I'm almost inclined to say that basically the entire 90's is "pre-internet", but my opinion is biased by the fact that I was such a late adapter to the net. As I've said, I didn't even hear of the internet until 1996, didn't use it until 1998, and didn't have it on my house computer until early 2000. For what it's worth, I still didn't get labeled a dork by anybody in my 7th grade class for not having internet access in late 1999 like you probably would today. In fact, some of my classmates didn't get it until after I did.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/13/13 at 6:16 pm

Belmont's breakdown (which is deleted now) made actually more sense then all those 'Which year had the best vibe'-like threads. And there are tons of them on this forum - not moderated.

report them.  I don't actively go looking for them anymore.  If they are reported, they usually get deleted.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/13/13 at 6:44 pm

Yeah, people forget that Web 1.0 was way different than Web 2.0. The pre-2005 internet was much less "interactive" in that the most you could really do on it was look up information, or maybe send out a few e-mails.. My dail-up connection was so slow that even playing games online was basically an impossibility. Compare that to today where you can actually interact with celebrities on Twitter and Facebook, or watch like every television show ever created on YouTube and it really illustrates the difference.

When it comes to what classifies as "pre-internet" age, I'm almost inclined to say that basically the entire 90's is "pre-internet", but my opinion is biased by the fact that I was such a late adapter to the net. As I've said, I didn't even hear of the internet until 1996, didn't use it until 1998, and didn't have it on my house computer until early 2000. For what it's worth, I still didn't get labeled a dork by anybody in my 7th grade class for not having internet access in late 1999 like you probably would today. In fact, some of my classmates didn't get it until after I did.

The Internet certainly didn't rule our lives like it does now in 1999, not even in the early 2000s really. I still got most of my news and entertainment needs from the TV and radio, the slowness of dialup greatly reduced the appeal for sure.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 12:51 am

When it comes to what classifies as "pre-internet" age, I'm almost inclined to say that basically the entire 90's is "pre-internet", but my opinion is biased by the fact that I was such a late adapter to the net. As I've said, I didn't even hear of the internet until 1996, didn't use it until 1998, and didn't have it on my house computer until early 2000.

And why are you (or your family) such a late adapter to the net? ->>> Because the normal person was not dependant on it and nobody expected you to have it. I also didn't get it before mid 2000 and I think until 2006ish it was indeed more or less a 'nice to have-thing' only. I don't think that I seriously needed it for school during my first 12 learning years - well I did use it for some school stuff, but it certainly would have worked without it, too.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/13 at 1:49 am

I don't consider myself a "'90s kid" these days, because that means born in the '90s now (or even '00s).  ::) And I remember more than just dumb Nick shows, I remember a lot of non kiddie pop culture and the news events (mid-late '90s anyway). I remember the bad things like Oklahoma City or Columbine, and the good like the economy. I remember the entire decade, though the early '90s of course are on the foggy side. I liked the '90s but I'm old enough where I saw the good and bad so I know it was really just like any other decade. I had a good childhood so I miss that. I miss my parents being younger, well and all my aunts and uncles. They're all in their late 50s- 60s now. My generation is starting to get married and have kids, my facebook is filled with baby pictures and engagements these days. And I'm just losing interest in the current pop music and all that teen stuff, which even in my early 20s I was still a bit into but over the last few years my priorities are shifting. It's just kinda what happens when you hit your mid-late 20s and don't have much in common with teens anymore and realize your getting closer to 30 (granted I still got just over 4 years to go but still).

Written By: Howard on 01/14/13 at 6:36 am

Or you can go to a vintage record store where they sell vinyl for cheap.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/13 at 6:38 am

That's true, still though there are just a lot fewer music stores today than there were 10-20 years ago.

most of them went into bankruptcy.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 6:50 am

Or you can go to a vintage record store where they sell vinyl for cheap.

Old records were always available somewhere - especially on eBay. The interesting thing is that there are actually new releases on vinyl that are sold in some stores next to the CD corner. At least in Germany it's the case.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/14/13 at 7:06 am

I don't consider myself a "'90s kid" these days, because that means born in the '90s now (or even '00s).  ::) And I remember more than just dumb Nick shows, I remember a lot of non kiddie pop culture and the news events (mid-late '90s anyway). I remember the bad things like Oklahoma City or Columbine, and the good like the economy. I remember the entire decade, though the early '90s of course are on the foggy side. I liked the '90s but I'm old enough where I saw the good and bad so I know it was really just like any other decade. I had a good childhood so I miss that. I miss my parents being younger, well and all my aunts and uncles. They're all in their late 50s- 60s now. My generation is starting to get married and have kids, my facebook is filled with baby pictures and engagements these days. And I'm just losing interest in the current pop music and all that teen stuff, which even in my early 20s I was still a bit into but over the last few years my priorities are shifting. It's just kinda what happens when you hit your mid-late 20s and don't have much in common with teens anymore and realize your getting closer to 30 (granted I still got just over 4 years to go but still).

Yeah um, even I'm as close to 30 as I am to 16!  :o And most people my age seem to at least have nieces and nephews, and are in committed relationships even if they may or may not be engaged.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 7:32 am

Yeah um, even I'm as close to 30 as I am to 16!  :o

I'm as close to 30 as I am to 23 and 3 months.

But this situation changes fast: By the end of this year I will be as close to 30 as I will be to 25 and 2 months.

Written By: warped on 01/14/13 at 8:03 am

I'm as close to 30 as I am to 23 and 3 months.

But this situation changes fast: By the end of this year I will be as close to 30 as I will be to 25 and 2 months.

I used to feel that way when I was your age, when 30 was creeping up. I understand how you feel. Now that I'm 50, I kinda lump all adults under the age of 30 as still very young. I'll tell someone who's' just 23 or 24 and say "You're just a kid!" (same as when I was in my early 20s and an older person would tell the same thing to me, that I was just a kid. Same thing a 75 year old person tells me now "You're just a kid, a baby really")

It's all relative.  When I see the topic "Reasons Children of the 90s Feel Old" I think to myself...Gaaaah! I'm born in the 60s. I must come from the ancient times  ;D

Enjoy life in your 20s. It's probably going to turn out to be one of the best part of your lives. You are young, free, with your whole life in front of you.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/14/13 at 8:36 am

I am not sure about this. I don't remember vinyl being regularly in stores. But CDs are still available and today's teenagers (Gen Z) are still exposed to them and maybe also buy CDs.

Yes, it is true that while vinyl was a bit of a relic in the 90s most 90s kids would still be pretty familiar with it and probably had a record player somewhere in the house. But a lot of Nick shows in the 90s made fun of the idea that children then didn't know what vinyl was - they even did it on an episode of Clarissa Explains It All despite the fact she would have been a child of the 80s - obviously nonsense!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 8:54 am

Yes, it is true that while vinyl was a bit of a relic in the 90s most 90s kids would still be pretty familiar with it and probably had a record player somewhere in the house. But a lot of Nick shows in the 90s made fun of the idea that children then didn't know what vinyl was - they even did it on an episode of Clarissa Explains It All despite the fact she would have been a child of the 80s - obviously nonsense!

I think it also might depend on how old the household was in the 90s. Our house was built in 1981 and the interior/technology was kept basically on this level until the mid 90s (of course mixed-up with more modern stuff, too). Since records and players were still common throughout the 80s it was obvious that they were still there after 10-15 years.

Written By: 1993 on 01/14/13 at 10:13 am

Well I was born in 1984 (and feel like a geezer posting in this thread...ha) and to me even the 86-90 babies still seem young to me.  Even though the 86'ers are already probably starting to marry off right now, and the 90 crowd is just leaving college.

I still remember a glimmer of the 80's. 1988, sitting on my grandfathers knee watching Reagans farewell address in January (I was 4 1/2) as well as the fall of the berlin wall and the little talk that we had about it in kindergarten. Also the changing of the maps in our classrooms when the cold war was ending.

Vinyl wasn't that foreign to us. We didn't purchase it ourselves however our older siblings and cousins would have vinyl collections lining the shelves.

The world that the 81-84 kids (cold Y generation) grew up in was very different.

For instance a lot of relics from the 70's were still around. I saw a picture of my family during a 1987 vacation...and there we were all posing in front of my dads 78 Buick Lesabre. I watched a TV from the 1979 up until 1990 or so. I think by 1995 all of that was all gone. But in the late 80's/early 90's those "relics" were still a part of every day life.

The pre 1985 babies can recall the rise and fall of grunge (though too young to fully get into it) as well as the first gulf war. Presidency's before Clinton...as well as harsh economic times (remember the early 90's recession and the spike in alcoholism, drug abuse, and crime that followed) a lot of our families were hit hard. I think that sort of toughened us. And we're also a lot more cynical politically. Many my age don't particularly care for either party. Not only do we remember "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" but we also recall "Read my lips, no new taxes" So we expect every politician to lie, cheat, and steal.

Even the tri state area. I can remember NYC as a destitute, crime/drug riddled wasteland with subway platforms soaked in blood, this was pre Giuliani. My parents hated going there. It used to be like the worlds capital of smut. Now times square is Disneyland!

Written By: belmont22 on 01/14/13 at 11:20 am

I used to feel that way when I was your age, when 30 was creeping up. I understand how you feel. Now that I'm 50, I kinda lump all adults under the age of 30 as still very young. I'll tell someone who's' just 23 or 24 and say "You're just a kid!" (same as when I was in my early 20s and an older person would tell the same thing to me, that I was just a kid. Same thing a 75 year old person tells me now "You're just a kid, a baby really")

It's all relative.  When I see the topic "Reasons Children of the 90s Feel Old" I think to myself...Gaaaah! I'm born in the 60s. I must come from the ancient times  ;D

Enjoy life in your 20s. It's probably going to turn out to be one of the best part of your lives. You are young, free, with your whole life in front of you.

Yeah feeling old is relative. The people today in their 20s are older compared to kids and teens but still younger than the older 50+ years of society.  :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 11:22 am

Yeah feeling old is relative.

Yes, it is. Just read the post of '1993'. A late 20er feels already old among close-late 20ers.  ;D

Personally, I only feel old among those who are 21 and under.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/13 at 12:47 pm

Old records were always available somewhere - especially on eBay. The interesting thing is that there are actually new releases on vinyl that are sold in some stores next to the CD corner. At least in Germany it's the case.

Hey Inland, We have this record store that sells vintage vinyl records, cassette tapes, T-Shirts and some other stuff. It's been around for over 20 years, They're called Breakdown Records.

Written By: Emman on 01/14/13 at 3:26 pm

Well I was born in 1984 (and feel like a geezer posting in this thread...ha) and to me even the 86-90 babies still seem young to me.  Even though the 86'ers are already probably starting to marry off right now, and the 90 crowd is just leaving college.

Aw come on, someone born in 1986 is only 2 years or less younger than you are, in your late 20s, that type of age difference is extremely trivial.
I could never feel that way about someone born in 1987 or 1988 right now(I'm '85 born), I look to those born at least post 1993/1994 as being significantly younger than me. The age differences between people has to be much more significant after roughly 24 or 25(give or take a year) for it to be pretty noticeable.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 3:31 pm

Aw come on, someone born in 1986 is only 2 years or less younger than you are, in your late 20s, that type of age difference is extremely trivial.
I could never feel that way about someone born in 1987 or 1988 right now(I'm '85 born), I look to those born at least post 1993/1994 as being significantly younger than me. The age differences between people has to be much more significant after roughly 24 or 25(give or take a year) for it to be pretty noticeable.

Yeah, I wanted to write something similar, but I deleted it. The whole post is too awkward  ;D

He actually thinks that his childhood (3-12) 1987-1996 was so different from a 1989-1998 childhood. LOL at that.
The difference to a 1990er is still quite reasonable, but two years???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/14/13 at 4:20 pm

Maybe one thing would make the childhood memories of two persons with an age gap of two years significant:

The experiences around the border from childhood->teenager (12/13): Somebody born just two years later than me might associate Y2K or even 9/11 with their childhood, while these are 'teenage events' for me.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/14/13 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, I wanted to write something similar, but I deleted it. The whole post is too awkward  ;D

He actually thinks that his childhood (3-12) 1987-1996 was so different from a 1989-1998 childhood. LOL at that.

Mine would be 1993-2002 by that definition. I'm an old soul though and I was pretty conscious early on so for me I weigh more towards the early part of that span as my 'formative' years.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/14/13 at 5:30 pm

Maybe one thing would make the childhood memories of two persons with an age gap of two years significant:

The experiences around the border from childhood->teenager (12/13): Somebody born just two years later than me might associate Y2K or even 9/11 with their childhood, while these are 'teenage events' for me.

I think of them as being pre-teen events to me. I was nearly 10 when Y2K happened and a few months shy of 12 when 9/11 happened so it felt quite a bit different from when I was 6 which already seemed like an eternity ago to me. I was just starting middle school when 9/11 happened so it's something I would connect more with my teens than I would with my earliest childhood.

My parents divorced and we moved to a different state when I was 8 years old, in March of 1998 so I've always felt like there was a "Year Zero" kind of thing going on from that date onwards. Anything prior to that date is what I consider my 'classic' childhood so basically age 2 to age 7.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/13 at 5:53 pm

He just wants to be part of an older club. This guy was born in '84 and grew up in exactly the same era as me an '87 born, yet he acts like he's so ahead. Quite laughable.  ::)

Anyway I relate to basically everything that guy experienced, my dad had a '78 Bonneville in the early '90s which I remember. I actually do vaguely recall Bush's father being president too. I remember my elementary school had a record player and a slide projector back in the day. I also remember when maps were still labelled with the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, etc. Again my experience is essentially the same, so I don't know why this guy is claiming he had it any different because he didn't.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/13 at 9:44 pm

I personally consider 3/4-10 and 11-13/14 separate categories. Preteen and the very early teens (middle school years basically) is a unique category separate from a young child in my experience. I don't like lumping 3-12 together as "childhood" because of an arbitrary age like 13 because it has "teen" at the end. Being 11-12 is a lot different from being a 5 year old, again I remember being 11-12 and at that age kids are starting puberty and we got taught sex ed in school. I don't consider a kid a true adolescent till they start high school, which is like mid 14.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/14/13 at 10:15 pm

I personally consider 3/4-10 and 11-13/14 separate categories. Preteen and the very early teens (middle school years basically) is a unique category separate from a young child in my experience. I don't like lumping 3-12 together as "childhood" because of an arbitrary age like 13 because it has "teen" at the end. Being 11-12 is a lot different from being a 5 year old, again I remember being 11-12 and at that age kids are starting puberty and we got taught sex ed in school. I don't consider a kid a true a true adolescent till they start high school, which is like mid 14.

Agreed. I didn't really feel like a "kid" anymore when I was 12. I was in 6th-7th grade at that age. I think 10 is really the last full-fledged "child" age. 11 could go either way, since it's divided between 5th grade (elementary school) and 6th grade (middle school).

Written By: 1993 on 01/14/13 at 11:24 pm

He just wants to be part of an older club. This guy was born in '84 and grew up in exactly the same era as me an '87 born, yet he acts like he's so ahead. Quite laughable.  ::)

Anyway I relate to basically everything that guy experienced, my dad had a '78 Bonneville in the early '90s which I remember. I actually do vaguely recall Bush's father being president too. I remember my elementary school had a record player and a slide projector back in the day. I also remember when maps were still labelled with the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, etc. Again my experience is essentially the same, so I don't know why this guy is claiming he had it any different because he didn't.

It's not me who came up with this subset. Sociologists have when they noticed certain patterns of behavior, opinions, consumer habits etc of the 1976/1981(disputed)-1985(concensus) group. They don't quite fall in line with generation X or Y. 1987 is already solid Y. The way they draw these boundaries is to associate them with major events and who is the last to recall them...not have a deep understanding, just a memory that they can talk about. Nobody from 1986 and up is going to have any recollection of the end of the cold war or reagan as president. That's when true generation Y separates from Cold Y.

Also, living in decades of such rapid change...a 3 year gap now seems a lot bigger than it would be for say someone born in say 1910 compared to 1913. An 81 baby for instance would have more of a true feel for the 80's than me. Would be able to recall the mood of the nation when say...the Challenger disaster(I have no recollection) the AIDS panic (I only remember in the early 90's when everyone was already more educated about the disease) Black Monday 1987 (no recollection)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/13 at 11:29 pm

It's not me who came up with this subset. Sociologists have when they noticed certain patterns of behavior, opinions, consumer habits etc of the 1976/1981(disputed)-1985(concensus) group. They don't quite fall in line with generation X or Y. 1987 is already solid Y

Also, living in decades of such rapid change...a 3 year gap now seems a lot bigger than it would be for say someone born in say 1910 compared to 1913. An 81 baby for instance would have more of a true feel for the 80's than me. Would be able to recall the mood of the nation when say...the Challenger disaster(I have no recollection) the AIDS panic (I only remember in the early 90's when everyone was already more educated about the disease) Black Monday 1987 (no recollection)

::) Whatever dude.

Written By: 1993 on 01/14/13 at 11:37 pm

::) Whatever dude.

I don't see where you need to be condescending about it. It's just a study in the way generations are stratified

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/13 at 11:40 pm

I don't see where you need to be condescending about it. It's just a study in the way generations are stratified

Everybody has their own "analysis" about stuff like this, I happen to disagree with you and whatever "study" you're going by. It's my opinion and I'll leave it at that.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/15/13 at 1:44 am

So the reasons children of the 90's feel old have nothing to do with the epidemics of gout, arthritis, and osteoporosis that have been recently plaguing them???  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 2:17 am

Nobody from 1986 and up is going to have any recollection of the end of the cold war or reagan as president. That's when true generation Y separates from Cold Y.

What's so special about remembering Reagan? I don't even remember Bush Sr. being in office, but that's probably because I am German.

Great that you know how much I really remember. The cold war ended in 1991. I have a lot of memories from 1990/91, but I was just not into politics at that time.... did you? I also wonder how much a 6 year old truly understands about the cold war; especially in a country, which is not visibly affected by it - unlike Germany.

Of course, more than 20 years later you have read a lot of stuff about it and now you realize that you were alive back then. Good for you.

I see quite a gap between me and my sister who was born in 1978 - but that's 8 years and not lousy 2. SHE really knows and experienced the cold war. She was able to travel with my parents to the eastern part of Germany when I was not born yet and SHE  knows what a strict border control of a socialistic country meant. She was directly exposed to the seperation of East and West, and that's a fact I have to live with.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 2:46 am

Almost everybody born in 85 was 3 YEARS OLD and someone born in 84 was 4 LOL when Reagan left office, yeah Reagan is gonna mean so much more to them than me LOL. That's even younger than I was when Bush sr left office (who I only just vaguely remember hearing about when I was little).

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/15/13 at 5:12 am

I noticed whenever people want to class their own generation or subgeneration, no one ever seems to be willing to put themselves, say, at the beginning of such a group. Always smackdab in the middle (which makes sense), or near the tail-end, as if wanting to feel like they relate more to the people up to several years older than them than the people just a few years younger than them. (I wonder how '82 babies feel about having to share their generation with people born as late as 2000? Even the '90ers complain about that sometimes).

Someone above said something about '87 to '93. That's "my group" because I'm a '90er, so it's only from my point of view (in fact, those are my age parameters for dating :P). But I don't think there's a set of defining characteristics that distinguish that particular set of birth years from someone else's (older or younger) point of view. There's no '83-'87 group or '88-'92 group unless someone is born in the middle of those years and feels it that way.

Yes I think pop culture is increasingly being denigrated, even many young people these days agree that pop culture sucks. So naturally people will want to identify with the past.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/15/13 at 5:14 am

I agree, while the gap between someone my age, born in 1986, and someone born in 1996, is not really much different from 1976 to 1986, the biggest difference is we grew up in the formative years of the 'digital age', when digital technology still hadn't permeated EVERYTHING. Most people born before 1990 say remember a childhood that wasn't dominated by the internet. While I first used it in 1995 or 1996, I rarely used it regularly until I was in my teens. I think we also remember the 90sness of  a lot of early to mid 00s pop culture, like when Britney was still big and not washed up, Boy Bands.etc. We were also pretty grown up before facebook, youtube.etc got universal.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/15/13 at 7:06 am

I agree, while the gap between someone my age, born in 1986, and someone born in 1996, is not really much different from 1976 to 1986, the biggest difference is we grew up in the formative years of the 'digital age', when digital technology still hadn't permeated EVERYTHING. Most people born before 1990 say remember a childhood that wasn't dominated by the internet. While I first used it in 1995 or 1996, I rarely used it regularly until I was in my teens. I think we also remember the 90sness of  a lot of early to mid 00s pop culture, like when Britney was still big and not washed up, Boy Bands.etc. We were also pretty grown up before facebook, youtube.etc got universal.

That's true, I was 5/6 when the Internet explosion began and 15 when YouTube and MySpace got popular so while I do remember some of the old stuff and was semi-grown up when the current wave of technology started to come out, and can remember a couple years before the 'Internet age', I'd say overall my experience is probably pretty in between yours and someone born in 1994 though probably leaning towards '86 a little bit.

My childhood was pretty Internet-less as my parents didn't let me use it until I was 10. The first time I used it was at school back in 1999, my mom and dad had it fairly early on though they were actually among the first million or so to get AOL.

And of course it was only dial-up, I didn't grow up with Facebook, YouTube, smartphones etc as a small child the way a kid born in 1999 did. My childhood technologically speaking was centered around the TV.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/13 at 7:25 am

So the reasons children of the 90's feel old have nothing to do with the epidemics of gout, arthritis, and osteoporosis that have been recently plaguing them???  ::)

;D

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:01 am

What's so special about remembering Reagan? I don't even remember Bush Sr. being in office, but that's probably because I am German.

Great that you know how much I really remember. The cold war ended in 1991. I have a lot of memories from 1990/91, but I was just not into politics at that time.... did you? I also wonder how much a 6 year old truly understands about the cold war; especially in a country, which is not visibly affected by it - unlike Germany.

Of course, more than 20 years later you have read a lot of stuff about it and now you realize that you were alive back then. Good for you.

I see quite a gap between me and my sister who was born in 1978 - but that's 8 years and not lousy 2. SHE really knows and experienced the cold war. She was able to travel with my parents to the eastern part of Germany when I was not born yet and SHE  knows what a strict border control of a socialistic country meant. She was directly exposed to the seperation of East and West, and that's a fact I have to live with.

The cold war ended in 1989. There is a difference between the ending of the cold war and the official signed and sealed dissolution of the soviet union. There was no perceived "threat" after 1989.

Your sister is still generation X. Or frankly I don't even know what generation she would fall in in German classifications.

And this is not a thread about growing up in Germany, the memories you have, the technology, lifestyles, opinions, political systems are going to be far far different from American kids growing up in the same time frame.

it's not about "understanding", I already mentioned that I didn't have a firm understanding of what was going on at that time. But that's not what draws the boundaries between generations.

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:07 am

Almost everybody born in 85 was 3 YEARS OLD and someone born in 84 was 4 LOL when Reagan left office, yeah Reagan is gonna mean so much more to them than me LOL. That's even younger than I was when Bush sr left office (who I only just vaguely remember hearing about when I was little).

again, it has nothing to do with how much he means to you. It's about establishing benchmarks to delineate boundaries between X/Cold Y/and Y

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 8:07 am

The cold war ended in 1989. There is a difference between the ending of the cold war and the official signed and sealed dissolution of the soviet union. There was no perceived "threat" after 1989.

Your sister is still generation X. Or frankly I don't even know what generation she would fall in in German classifications.

And this is not a thread about growing up in Germany, the memories you have, the technology, lifestyles, opinions, political systems are going to be far far different from American kids growing up in the same time frame.

it's not about "understanding", I already mentioned that I didn't have a firm understanding of what was going on at that time. But that's not what draws the boundaries between generations.

Generations are drawn by when you come of age, not what era you're a 4 year old in. You came of age in the 21st century you're solid Gen Y like myself sorry.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 8:23 am

Oh it's all about understanding, if you don't understand a time then you weren't a part of it. Vague toddler memories doesn't mean you were a part of an era. You sound like one of those born in '94 "'90s kids", trying to latch onto something you really don't remember and thinking you're superior to somebody just a couple years younger, it's understandable for a teen but not for a guy who's 28. It's pathetic.

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:30 am

Generations are drawn by when you come of age, not what era you're a 4 year old in. You came of age in the 21st century you're solid Gen Y like myself sorry.

well the 21st century began in 2001 so I was already plenty "of age" by then. So were you

The entire study of this is fluid enough. If you want to just bunch all of the late 70's to the early 00's together and call it Y, then fine you're entitled to your opinion. But there are plenty of scholars who think that is too broad and would rather break it into smaller subsets...and they're not wrong either

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 8:32 am

So you're trying to exclude me from the discussion? That's laughable. Germany was and still is a western country that keeps strong connections to the USA. If I couldn't relate to a lot of things the people post here, I already would have left the forum much earlier.

Technology, lifestyle and political system are basically the same.
Movies were released in Germany exactly when they were also released in the USA; TV series maybe only 1-2 years later. Pop music was more or less the same, toys, computers... come on, you don't live in a completely different world.

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:34 am

Oh it's all about understanding, if you don't understand a time then you weren't a part of it. Vague toddler memories doesn't mean you were a part of an era. You sound like one of those born in '94 "'90s kids", trying to latch onto something you really don't remember and thinking you're superior to somebody just a couple years younger, it's understandable for a teen but not for a guy who's 28. It's pathetic.

I have no idea what a "born in 1994 90's kid is" evidently you do. So there is another difference between 1984 and 1987. As is your belligerence.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 8:36 am

I have no idea what a "born in 1994 90's kid is" evidently you do.

Then you have missed some discussions on this board.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 8:41 am

I have no idea what a "born in 1994 90's kid is" evidently you do. So there is another difference between 1984 and 1987. As is your belligerence.

You sound just like this kid.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=44040.0

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:41 am

So you're trying to exclude me from the discussion? That's laughable. Germany was and still is a western country that keeps strong connections to the USA. If I couldn't relate to a lot of things the people post here, I already would have left the forum much earlier.

Technology, lifestyle and political system are basically the same.
Movies were released in Germany exactly when they were also released in the USA; TV series maybe only 1-2 years later. Pop music was more or less the same, toys, computers... come on, you don't live in a completely different world.

that's really not true at all. There is a huge divide in say the education system, the types of communities you grew up in, the holidays that you would celebrate (that we wouldn't). Much of how you remember certain events will be different.

For instance, if you go back to the 60's, was there a Vietnam era in germany? Was there a woodstock? was there an iranian hostage crises?

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/15/13 at 8:45 am

What are you trying to even argue 1993? That there's another sub-set of Y, the 'Cold Y' or whatever, that ends around what, 1984-85? If you mean someone who remembers the Cold War, I would probably put that at more like 1986-87, although as children we're not really that aware of politics, even someone born as early as like 1982.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 8:50 am

well the 21st century began in 2001 so I was already plenty "of age" by then. So were you

The entire study of this is fluid enough. If you want to just bunch all of the late 70's to the early 00's together and call it Y, then fine you're entitled to your opinion. But there are plenty of scholars who think that is too broad and would rather break it into smaller subsets...and they're not wrong either

Coming of age means turning 18/21. You turned 18 in 2002, and 21 in 2005. Me 2005 and 2008.

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 8:57 am

Coming of age means turning 18/21. You turned 18 in 2002, and 21 in 2005. Me 2005 and 2008.

turning 18 and 21 means nothing. Most have already drank/smoked themselves silly at that point, had their license for a few years, had jobs, traveled (some had even fought in wars) all are already in college and have over a decade of memories to draw back on

true coming of age is earlier. puberty, experiencing loss for the first time, or financial hardships your family might experience. That generally happens between 11-15. It's more loss of innocence.

The older you get the less you change with the times. That's a general consensus. I think I changed a lot between 10 and 13, but was essentially the same between 18-21.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 8:58 am

that's really not true at all. There is a huge divide in say the education system, the types of communities you grew up in, the holidays that you would celebrate (that we wouldn't). Much of how you remember certain events will be different.

For instance, if you go back to the 60's, was there a Vietnam era in germany? Was there a woodstock? was there an iranian hostage crises?

First of all, we were not talking about the 60s. Secondly, we also have TV and news over here. You might wonder how relevant American politics and lifestyle is over here.

What holidays are you talking about? Alright, we don't have Thanksgiving and 4th of July... but Easter and Christmas (the only holidays which are celebrated quite big)... what's so different about it?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 9:02 am

turning 18 and 21 means nothing. Most have already drank/smoked themselves silly at that point, had their license for a few years, had jobs, traveled (some had even fought in wars) all are already in college and have over a decade of memories to draw back on

true coming of age is earlier. puberty, experiencing loss for the first time, or financial hardships your family might experience. That generally happens between 11-15.

Coming of age means first getting out in the world in my book, becoming an adolescent is different.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 9:05 am

What are you trying to even argue 1993? That there's another sub-set of Y, the 'Cold Y' or whatever, that ends around what, 1984-85? If you mean someone who remembers the Cold War, I would probably put that at more like 1986-87, although as children we're not really that aware of politics, even someone born as early as like 1982.

Good point. If it's obviously not about understanding the cold war, 86 and maybe 87 could still get integrated into this 'category'. These are (probably) the last birthyears that remember before 1990.

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 9:16 am

First of all, we were not talking about the 60s. Secondly, we also have TV and news over here. You might wonder how relevant American politics and lifestyle is over here.

What holidays are you talking about? Alright, we don't have Thanksgiving and 4th of July... but Easter and Christmas (the only holidays which are celebrated quite big)... what's so different about it?

I realize American politics and lifestyle are big over there...I'm not sure how good that is considering how much filth permeates both.

So for example, a guy my age grew up saying the pledge of allegiance in class, lived for touch football at recess, ate tons of fast food, watched WWF wrestling, had his GI Joes, played softball at his dads company outings, vacationed in disneyworld/land, rode his BMX unsupervised all around town, rushed to blockbuster to get the new street fighter 2 before the neighborhood kids did.

Not all of this is healthy behavior...but I don't think a kid of the same age in germany is doing much of the same.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 9:28 am

Not all of this is healthy behavior...but I don't think a kid of the same age in germany is doing much of the same.

I can't relate to every cultural characteristic of the United States and that's also the reason why I am not posting in threads where stuff like that is discussed.

But in this special case, you were talking about a cold war childhood and you were trying to exclude me from the debate. But which western nation do you think was affected most by the end of the cold war? I am part of it...

Written By: meesa on 01/15/13 at 10:12 am

Sorry to interrupt -what is the point of what is going on here, exactly? I'm confused. When I saw this thread I figured it would be about people discussing how old they feel and the reasons for it. Maybe that was not the intent after all...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 10:20 am

Sorry to interrupt -what is the point of what is going on here, exactly? I'm confused. When I saw this thread I figured it would be about people discussing how old they feel and the reasons for it. Maybe that was not the intent after all...

Author '1993' (b. 1984) felt a lot older and kind of superior among a so called '86-'90 crowd. So it was still about feeling older, just in a more laughable way.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/15/13 at 10:22 am

I disagree. The Soviet Union wasn't doomed until they tried a coup in August 1991, that failed miserably. They still intended to keep their republics to the very end. True the relationship between the US and Russia improved a lot with Gorbachev but the ideological struggle was still ongoing until pretty much the USSR's final day.

Actually even today, the Russian Federation is essentially a reduced form of the Soviet Union and it incorporates many areas that aren't ethnic Russian. They might allow free market capitalism, which has turned their country into a mafia haven, but they still have many of their bombs and they are still totalitarian. Much of their leadership including Putin is the same old guard that was running the show in the Communist days. If they had an alliance with China the Cold War could easily flare up again in the near future.

Written By: warped on 01/15/13 at 10:23 am

BINGO! Karma owed.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/15/13 at 10:29 am

Author '1993' (b. 1984) felt a lot older and kind of superior among a so called '86-'90 crowd. So it was still about feeling older, just in a more laughable way.

I'm ashamed of even debating him about it now, but I'm just tired.  ;D

Written By: 1993 on 01/15/13 at 10:35 am

Why don't you take out your frustrations on the erudite sociologists that actually created the Cold Y subgroup...you know the folks who actually did the research and felt the need to draw the dividing line at 1985 based on their studies. I never said I'm oh so much older and more superior than the 86-90 crowd.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 10:40 am

Why don't you take out your frustrations on the erudite sociologists that actually created the Cold Y subgroup...you know the folks who actually did the research and felt the need to draw the dividing line at 1985 based on their studies. I never said I'm oh so much older and more superior than the 86-90 crowd.

I have also seen dividing lines of 'cold Y' at 1987.

Written By: warped on 01/15/13 at 10:43 am

http://www.chumpysclipart.com/images/illustrations/xsmall2/2198_picture_of_a_stylistic_image_of_a_couple_watching_a_movie_and_enjoying_soda_and_popcorn.jpg

Written By: belmont22 on 01/15/13 at 12:35 pm

Of course there are differences. Even Canada has differences from the US. But let's be honest, even as far back as 1965 Europe, Australia and America have all more or less had parallel histories and nowadays, that even applies to Latin America and Asia to a large extent. Hell even in Sri Lanka and New Guinea teenage girls go apeshi t over Justin Bieber.  ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/15/13 at 12:37 pm

It's funny because my intent was a 'sequel' if you will to the inthe80s page. I don't think 90s children have any reason to feel old, but the fact is a lot of things from the 90s and even the 00s are pretty old and/or irrelevant now just like the 80s was beginning to become that way in the early 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/13 at 2:15 pm

They're just going back and forth about the 90's.  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/13 at 2:54 pm

Yeah, that's the reason why I'm having such a hard time swallowing this too. When I was a kid, me and most other kids I knew didn't care one whit about politics. The first political event that I even remember being aware of was the Lewinsky Scandal, and I was 10/11 years old at the time. I don't even remember watching or caring about Clinton's Farewell Address in 2001 and I was nearly 14. The Dubya Bush administration is really the first that I had a full understanding. I know that's just me, and not everyone is the same, but I'm also speaking on behalf of the large majority of kids I went to school with who didn't follow (or even understand) politics or world events at all during the elementary years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no difference between an 1987er like me and a 1984er, I just don't think that the world we grew up in was so radically different that we belong to two entirely different generational "subsets". When I was younger, I also used to think there was some big difference between me and somebody born in 1990 or 1991, but as time has passed, I don't feel that way anymore. Perhaps I can remember a bit more of the 90's than they can, but that doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things in terms of the type of "world" we grew up in. Heck, even somebody born in 1994 (now an adult and in college) doesn't really seem that "young" to me as compared to when I was 18 and they were 11.

Mandatory disclaimer: This is all coming from a place of ignorance on my part about the "Cold Y" distinction, as I've never really heard of it before. I'll have to look more into that before I can really give a full, informed response.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 3:13 pm

You were a year old in 1994.

Your comment shows, that you don't even read threads carefully.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/15/13 at 4:15 pm

I have heard the term "Cold Y" before and usually see it listed as early-mid 80s-borns. I don't think there are any supposed major differences between Cold Y and the rest of Y though. Never really researched it though, because while I was already a full year old when the Cold War ended, I would never try to claim my birth year is part of it!

I have to say seeing some 86-87ers getting defensive about being excluded from this Cold Y group is reminding me of how us '90ers feel when people to draw boundaries at 1990 just because it was the beginning of a new decade (the conext usually involving lumping us in with "more Z-ish" people). It's quite annoying, isn't it? :o :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 4:36 pm

I have to say seeing some 86-87ers getting defensive about being excluded from this Cold Y group is reminding me of how us '90ers feel when people to draw boundaries at 1990 just because it was the beginning of a new decade

I was not getting defensive about being excluded from being Cold Y. I actually could live with it, if it's really a definition for people who clearly remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

This was the actual sentence, that made me upset:

The world that the 81-84 kids (cold Y generation) grew up in was very different.

That sounds like 84ers grew up basically/completely during the cold war and somebody born a couple of years later didn't.
Not even the oldest 80s birthyear grew up completely during the cold war.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/15/13 at 4:47 pm

I have to say seeing some 86-87ers getting defensive about being excluded from this Cold Y group is reminding me of how us '90ers feel when people to draw boundaries at 1990 just because it was the beginning of a new decade (the conext usually involving lumping us in with "more Z-ish" people). It's quite annoying, isn't it? :o :P

Which is precisely the reason why I've tried to avoid falling into that as much as possible. I've never really believed in the idea that there's some massive difference between people 3 or 4 years apart in birth because I think it puts too much emphasis on the importance of early childhood memories. I mean sure, I could sit here and pretend like me being 7 and a 1990er being 3 in 1994 gives me some big "advantage" in core 90's memories, but let's be honest, the large majority of kids don't really start getting into the culture and politics of any given era until they start junior high, and for some it's even later than that. There are exceptions of course, but most people born in the mid and late 80's were still doing little more than watching cartoons in 1994.

Even 5 years isn't that big of a gap. My Dad is 5 years older than my Mom, and the way they tell stories about their younger days and childhood memories, you'd think they were only born 5 months apart.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/15/13 at 4:52 pm

This was the actual sentence, that made me upset:

That sounds like 84ers grew up basically/completely during the cold war and somebody born a couple of years later didn't.
Not even the oldest 80s birthyear grew up completely during the cold war.

Yep, I hate when people say that kind of stuff. That's like someone saying a 1989 birth "grew up without the internet" because they were born in the '80s and and a 1990 birth "knew the internet their entire life" because they were born in the '90s.

I can't imagine that if I was 6 when the Berlin Wall fell, that I would have cared or recognized it's significance at the time (or even been aware it happened?). Like others have said, no one under the age of like teen-aged cares about politics. I know I didn't. Actually...I still don't! I didn't even vote in the 2012 election. (I did vote in the 2008 election though...turned 18 a week before and my mom told me who to vote for ;D)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/15/13 at 5:08 pm

I can't imagine that if I was 6 when the Berlin Wall fell, that I would have cared or recognized it's significance at the time (or even been aware it happened?).

I was 6 in 1992 and that was the first time I remember being in the eastern part of Germany. At that time, it still looked pretty old and shabby over there. I think I didn't really notice or care about the fact that it looked way different from the west where I came from - and definetly not, WHY it looked like that.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/13 at 5:36 pm

http://www.chumpysclipart.com/images/illustrations/xsmall2/2198_picture_of_a_stylistic_image_of_a_couple_watching_a_movie_and_enjoying_soda_and_popcorn.jpg

This made me laugh. 

Written By: belmont22 on 01/15/13 at 8:52 pm

I was 6 in 1992 and that was the first time I remember being in the eastern part of Germany. At that time, it still looked pretty old and shabby over there. I think I didn't really notice or care about the fact that it looked way different from the west where I came from - and definetly not, WHY it looked like that.

Can you even tell a difference nowadays? I mean 22-23 years isn't really that long in a historical sense, has the separation to some extent retained in certain ways, like in terms of economic or the attitudes/culture of the people in the East?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/13 at 11:03 pm

Can you even tell a difference nowadays? I mean 22-23 years isn't really that long in a historical sense, has the separation to some extent retained in certain ways, like in terms of economic or the attitudes/culture of the people in the East?

Kids who were born in 1990 while I was living in my first Apartment are now graduating from college and getting married!

Written By: belmont22 on 01/16/13 at 12:52 am

Kids who were born in 1990 while I was living in my first Apartment are now graduating from college and getting married!

Yup 'kids' my age! You said you were born in '69 right? You're no longer twice as old as me either.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 01/16/13 at 2:11 am

My mommy is 9 years older than you, does that make you feel better?  :) I was born in 1991. LOL I have two first cousins that were born in 2003 and 2007, the age gap is too obvious.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/13 at 2:28 am

Can you even tell a difference nowadays?

Yes, you can now and you could especially see it shortly after the Fall of the Wall (I have told you details in another thread I think). But I didn't, because I didn't care about that at age 6. And that was my point. ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/13 at 6:17 am

I personally consider 3/4-10 and 11-13/14 separate categories. Preteen and the very early teens (middle school years basically) is a unique category separate from a young child in my experience. I don't like lumping 3-12 together as "childhood" because of an arbitrary age like 13 because it has "teen" at the end. Being 11-12 is a lot different from being a 5 year old, again I remember being 11-12 and at that age kids are starting puberty and we got taught sex ed in school. I don't consider a kid a true adolescent till they start high school, which is like mid 14.

Based on my personal life I would 'lump' the following ages together:

0-1: infant (no memory)
2: toddler (only very vague memories)
3-4: few memories, but some quite detailed
5-7: a lot of memories, but I was still quite little
8-10: peak childhood (very clear memory)
11: really stands for itself, kind of a 60/40% mixture of child and young teen
12: stands for itself, still quite kiddiesh, but I would say rather 40/60 % mixture of child and young teen
13-14: young teenager, mixture of an adult and naive teenage mindset
15-18: I finally got an adult mindset, but I was still kinda naive in a lot of things

Written By: Brian06 on 01/16/13 at 6:50 am

12: stands for itself, still quite kiddiesh, but I would say rather 40/60 % mixture of child and young teen
15-18: I finally got an adult mindset, but I was still kinda naive in a lot of things

Yeah that's a pretty good breakdown and pretty similar to my experience.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 6:57 am

So they should be about 22-27 years of age.

Written By: Emman on 01/16/13 at 8:43 am

So they should be about 22-27 years of age.

No, they are 22-23, you'd have to be born in 1986 at the earliest to be 27 as of 2013.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/16/13 at 11:28 am

My mommy is 9 years older than you, does that make you feel better?  :) I was born in 1991. LOL I have two first cousins that were born in 2003 and 2007, the age gap is too obvious.

My mom was born in '63 and turns 50 in a couple months. She still looks pretty young though. Probably looks 40 I'd say.  :)

Written By: belmont22 on 01/16/13 at 11:29 am

Yeah that perfectly describes my memories.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/16/13 at 11:58 am

I'd say

0-2: No memory (I can't think of any solid memories from age 2...I have some vague ones of being in a crib and high-chair but I could have been 3)
3-4: Some memories
5-10: Transition was too seamless to find a hard difference between any two consecutive ages in this category, though 10 was obviously different from 5.
11: Transitioning out of true childhood
12-14: Very young teen/Junior high
15-18: Core teenage years/high school years

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 12:40 pm

I'd say

0-2: No memory (I can't think of any solid memories from age 2...I have some vague ones of being in a crib and high-chair but I could have been 3)
3-4: Some memories
5-10: Transition was too seamless to find a hard difference between any two consecutive ages in this category, though 10 was obviously different from 5.
11: Transitioning out of true childhood
12-14: Very young teen/Junior high
15-18: Core teenage years/high school years

What about if you're in your 20's and 30's?  ???

Written By: Tia on 01/16/13 at 12:44 pm

... AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Written By: DuncanMcA on 01/16/13 at 12:52 pm

Yep, good post. I think I remember from 6 quite clearly. I broke my leg in 1993 and spent the summer in plaster, memories seem to become clearer around this time and I can even start to identify months that things happened. Then again there are things mum and dad tell me about that period I have no recollection of. Memories of popular culture (outwith kids TV and computer games) seem to 'switch on' at the age of 10, 1997, which was a 'big' news year anyway with Labour winning the election and the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. Having said that, I do remember my mum telling me Margaret Thatcher was no longer Prime Minister when I was the grand old age of three!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/13 at 1:07 pm

You're old then.

Written By: Tia on 01/16/13 at 1:08 pm

You're old then.
just wait. it gets worse.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/13 at 1:28 pm

just wait. it gets worse.

then you start getting a belly and losing most your hair.

Written By: Tia on 01/16/13 at 1:36 pm

then you start getting a belly and losing most your hair.
Even worse, you finally figure out how stupid young people really are.  :D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/13 at 1:54 pm

Better stupid than intolreant.

Written By: Tia on 01/16/13 at 2:01 pm

Better stupid than intolreant.
better intolerant than humorless.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/16/13 at 8:16 pm

better intolerant than humorless.

Remember the good old days, when the young people were fun and the old people were boring?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/17/13 at 12:55 am

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/boardroom_zpsd7e79c75.jpg

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/17/13 at 1:22 am

;D did you find that or make it yourself?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/17/13 at 1:25 am

;D did you find that or make it yourself?

Both.

Written By: af2010 on 01/17/13 at 2:27 am

I can't imagine the fall of the Berlin Wall having much effect on a 5 year-old, unless maybe they were German and it directly impacted their life.  I have memories from when I was 5, but none of them have to do with politics.  I'd say you'd at least have to be born in the 70s to have really 'grown up' during the Cold War era... and even late 70s is kind of pushing it.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/13 at 6:53 am

I know right, that's what happens when I see them walking down the street.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/17/13 at 6:53 am

Remember the good old days, when the young people were fun and the old people were boring?

Boy, those were the days.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/18/13 at 10:16 am

I've seen that template on 4chan(on the Pokemon board).  :D

Written By: belmont22 on 01/18/13 at 11:20 am

I can't imagine the fall of the Berlin Wall having much effect on a 5 year-old, unless maybe they were German and it directly impacted their life.  I have memories from when I was 5, but none of them have to do with politics.  I'd say you'd at least have to be born in the 70s to have really 'grown up' during the Cold War era... and even late 70s is kind of pushing it.

Even then, it would only have a strong effect if you lived in East Germany and sh*t, even then most kids that small don't really understand economics and might not even realize anything changed.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/18/13 at 3:19 pm

Even then, it would only have a strong effect if you lived in East Germany and sh*t, even then most kids that small don't really understand economics and might not even realize anything changed.

It's just a guess, but since the East was way more 'old school' and as good as one decade behind, it's possible that the kids realized it afterwards - when they were a couple of years older and remembered back.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/13 at 12:04 am

"Twentysomethings are having a moment. They’re inspiring self-help guides (see Meg Jay’s The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter—And How To Make the Most of Them Now), hit television shows, Tumblrs-turned-handbooks, and lyrical New Yorker think pieces. What is it about twentysomethings? Robin Henig asked in the New York Times Magazine not too long ago. In part, she was talking about the current crop of young adults. They are dreamy—they have their own fairy tales!—but also deflated and recession-squeezed; peculiarly savvy and adrift, connected and lonely, knowing and naïve. But she was also voicing a perennial obsession. What is it about twentysomethings in general? Why are we so fixated on the no-man’s-land between childhood and stable adulthood?

A little-known but robust line of research shows that there really is something deeply, weirdly meaningful about this period. It plays an outsize role in how we structure our expectations, stories, and memories. The basic finding is this: We remember more events from late adolescence and early adulthood than from any other stage of our lives. This phenomenon is called the reminiscence bump.

Memory researchers have been wrestling with the reminiscence bump since at least the 1980s, when studies began turning up evidence that memory has a peculiar affinity for events that happen during the third decade of life. "

- Katy Waldman, Slate, The Mysteriously Memorable 20s: Why do we remember more from young adulthood than from any other time of our lives?, Jan 18, 2013.

Written By: Emman on 01/19/13 at 1:14 am

- Katy Waldman, Slate, The Mysteriously Memorable 20s: Why do we remember more from young adulthood than from any other time of our lives?, Jan 18, 2013.

According to Neil Howe, the millennial generation has garnered special media focus and attention since the '80s(baby on board stickers, disney renaissance, increased safety concerns for children, ect) when they were babies and little kids, Gen X kind of has this reputation as an alienated and rough and tumble generation on the other hand. Gen Xers defined the social mood of the '90s and '00s when they were mostly young adults(or becoming adults). The millennial generation is beginning to have full influence over the popular culture both as producers and consumers, although the Gen Y portion(1982-1994) of the generation are mainly the producers and the Gen Z portion(1995-2004) is mainly the targeted consumers.

Written By: 123456 on 01/19/13 at 1:37 am

According to Neil Howe, the millennial generation has garnered special media focus and attention since the '80s(baby on board stickers, disney renaissance, increased safety concerns for children, ect) when they were babies and little kids, Gen X kind of has this reputation as an alienated and rough and tumble generation on the other hand. Gen Xers defined the social mood of the '90s and '00s when they were mostly young adults(or becoming adults). The millennial generation is beginning to have full influence over the popular culture both as producers and consumers, although the Gen Y portion(1982-1994) of the generation are mainly the producers and the Gen Z portion(1995-2004) is mainly the targeted consumers.

I have an issue with those parameters. The late 1970s and early 1980s are often associated with the music video explosion and the introduction of VHS as well as Pac-man, Space Invaders and similar games. Someone born in 1977 wouldn't have known a time before that distinct new wave era with their first relevant memories being no earlier than ~1981. On the other hand, the late 1990s is associated with the internet beginning to have a substantial role in everyday living and it was becoming common for people to have mobile phones by the end of the 1990s. Someone born in 1993 would have no relevant memories earlier than ~1997. It is therefore more accurate to say that Generation Y is 1977-1992. Generation Z begins in 1993 because those people are too young and ends somewhere from 2004-2008.

Written By: warped on 01/19/13 at 2:10 am

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/223926/1/Two-Men-Talking-In-A-Tavern.jpg

- Hey, do you think we're Generation G or H? I think we are Generation H because we grew up knowing the changes in hat wear and just look at the improvement on the swords we use. Generation G didn't have that. And look how far we've come on leeching...

- Aw, Who the F*** gives a shyt!

:D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/19/13 at 4:18 am

- Aw, Who the F*** gives a shyt!

Enough people to fill 10 forum pages ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/13 at 11:04 am

http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-media/86/72086-004-DDFAAC8E.jpg

Many arguments between Generation S and Generation T over who had the right to call themselves "1890's kids" escalated into fisticuffs.  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/19/13 at 7:36 pm

Enough people to fill 10 forum pages ;)

that's why the conversation keeps going and going.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/23/13 at 12:09 am

that's why the conversation keeps going and going.

http://cidutest.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bunny.gif

Written By: Jock on 01/23/13 at 4:29 am

The 90's were so long ago, that I bet most people my age (born 1987-1989) don't remember them clearly. I don't remember anything pre-1992, and I remember just one thing from 1992. 1993-1997 is like a distant past life for me. Even 1998-2000 are like some different life. I remember more things from 2001-2005. Unlike in the USA, the 90's here in some parts of Europe were filled with mass poverty. However, I miss the easier pre-Internet way of life when people actually used to talk to each other. And the early 90's Euro cars looked cleaner than cars of today.

Written By: Jock on 01/23/13 at 4:32 am

My point is, once you're in high school, you start skipping some memories and like erasing them if they're not good enough. E.g. if your high school days sucked, you remember them as just one year, yet high school is 4 years long. If the 4 years feel as one, that means they weren't that great and nothing good happened.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/23/13 at 6:15 am

The 90's were so long ago, that I bet most people my age (born 1987-1989) don't remember them clearly. I don't remember anything pre-1992, and I remember just one thing from 1992.

That has nothing to do with the 90s being long ago. People born in the late 80s were just a bit too young for remembering especially the first half in detail. From my own experience, memories before age 8 are still quite blurry at some points. But I have no problem when it comes to the 1994-99 period and somebody born in 1989 should at least remember the late 90s in clear detail.

Written By: warped on 01/23/13 at 6:49 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qyhZ9_eXCHM/S0Pn1Xc-L7I/AAAAAAAAEDo/y7s2dzndiDw/s400/internet-cartoon.gif

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/23/13 at 7:27 am

*The 12 year old of 1990 born in 1977-1978 is now in their mid-30s, with light wrinkles/lines beginning to form, along with some receeding hairlines and graying on some poeple. Some pro football players from that cohort have/will very soon retire.  Most importantly, they are now old enough (along with those born in 1979-81) that they can run for President in the next election!

*Girls born in 1988 are now too old to try out for next year's Miss America pageant.

*Folks born in 1984 are now too old to audition for next year's American Idol (sorry '84ers you missed your final opportunity for this season), meaning that next season will be the last chance I could audition myself.

*Songs from their childhood are now old enough to be considered "old school" (the 21st century version of the term "oldies") on some radio stations.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/23/13 at 8:57 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qyhZ9_eXCHM/S0Pn1Xc-L7I/AAAAAAAAEDo/y7s2dzndiDw/s400/internet-cartoon.gif

For me as a foreign it's at least a bit of practicing my English  8)

Written By: warped on 01/23/13 at 9:42 am

For me as a foreign it's at least a bit of practicing my English  8)

Your english is quire good.  :)  I doubt anyone here has any problem at all understanding you. You express yourself just fine.

Written By: Jock on 01/23/13 at 10:52 am

What's in an age? I was born in 1988, yet I still keep being asked for my I.D. That other day a woman asked me "Do you have 18?!" ;) I don't see why I should have difficulties with entering a talent show if I look younger than I am.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/23/13 at 4:05 pm

That has nothing to do with the 90s being long ago. People born in the late 80s were just a bit too young for remembering especially the first half in detail. From my own experience, memories before age 8 are still quite blurry at some points. But I have no problem when it comes to the 1994-99 period and somebody born in 1989 should at least remember the late 90s in clear detail.

I can remember everything from 1993 on in fairly decent detail, but I have a better than average memory, so I'm probably not the norm for most people around my age. I have at least one verifiable memory from every year of the 90's, but 1990-92 is quite fuzzy.

The thing about all of that that's weird (and perhaps what that poster was trying to say) is how old you now have to be to totally remember the 90's, and how that makes the 90's seem old by extension. I'm going on 26, and can only barely remember the early 90's. You really have to be in your 30's to remember every year of the decade in excellent detail. On the flip side, people under 18 would have little to no memory of even the late 90's.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/23/13 at 4:45 pm

On the flip side, people under 18 would have little to no memory of even the late 90's.

Yeah, an 18-year old was as old in 1999 as I was in 1990. And what I remember about 1990 is unfortunately not that much. Until ca. October 1990 it's a bit 'dreamlike'.

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/23/13 at 5:38 pm

Yeah, an 18-year old was as old in 1999 as I was in 1990. And what I remember about 1990 is unfortunately not that much. Until ca. October 1990 it's a bit 'dreamlike'.

And this is what I was talking about here the other day. If you are Generation Z you basically missed out on magical times. People born from 1993-95 (yes, 1993 and 1994 are Generation Z regardless of what the "experts" say) can protest all they like but they don't remember the late 90s they way those born from 1990-92 would.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/23/13 at 6:31 pm

I can remember everything from 1993 on in fairly decent detail, but I have a better than average memory, so I'm probably not the norm for most people around my age. I have at least one verifiable memory from every year of the 90's, but 1990-92 is quite fuzzy.

The thing about all of that that's weird (and perhaps what that poster was trying to say) is how old you now have to be to totally remember the 90's, and how that makes the 90's seem old by extension. I'm going on 26, and can only barely remember the early 90's. You really have to be in your 30's to remember every year of the decade in excellent detail. On the flip side, people under 18 would have little to no memory of even the late 90's.

I was born in December 86 and can remember 1992 onwards with extremely clear detail. I wonder how unusual it is. 1990 and 1991 I have a lot of fuzzy memories but can remember a lot of the songs. One disadvantage to having such a good memory is a lot of people don't believe that you remember what you do.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 7:03 pm

18 year olds were born in 1995.

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/23/13 at 7:18 pm

18 year olds were born in 1995.

No you are wrong. Most 18 year olds were born in 1994. Only people born before late January 1995 are 18.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/23/13 at 8:34 pm

*Girls born in 1988 are now too old to try out for next year's Miss America pageant.

This one is especially depressing. Yeah come to think of it 24-25 year olds are at the age where they are settling down to get married, and might already have children. And 1988ers were little kids for most of the 90s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/24/13 at 3:09 am

I was born in December 86 and can remember 1992 onwards with extremely clear detail. I wonder how unusual it is.

Actually, it really depends what the definition of 'clear memory' is. I certainly have clear memories from any year of the 90s, and especially from 1992 on, but the "like-yesterday-feel" is only applicable for the second half at earliest.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/24/13 at 3:10 am

No you are wrong. Most 18 year olds were born in 1994. Only people born before late January 1995 are 18.

For my example I was indeed referring to the 1995ers.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/13 at 7:07 am

unless they have a birthday.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/27/13 at 8:31 am

And this is what I was talking about here the other day. If you are Generation Z you basically missed out on magical times. People born from 1993-95 (yes, 1993 and 1994 are Generation Z regardless of what the "experts" say) can protest all they like but they don't remember the late 90s they way those born from 1990-92 would.

very true but vivid memories in general form around the age of 4 to 5 and childhood begins at age of 5 so 1995 kids still by large remember pre-2000 although no doubt that it would be more hazy than those of the early 90s born

I feel old because I have now witnessed a generational change in culture that begins in late 2007 ish... and starting from this year, youngest teenager is born in 2000 and late 90s born who are only few years younger than me do no remember 90s at all

I would relate more to late 80s born than of 1998 born in short for me personally ;)

as of January 2013, most 18 year old are 1994 born (this includes Justin Bieber who was born in February 1994)

by large 1992-1997 born share both traits of gen Y and Z so you can't really define them attitude and culture wise but the middle point of the cutoff would be between 1994 and 1995 as the median gap for the division of the generation label ;)

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/27/13 at 3:51 pm

very true but vivid memories in general form around the age of 4 to 5 and childhood begins at age of 5 so 1995 kids still by large remember pre-2000 although no doubt that it would be more hazy than those of the early 90s born

I feel old because I have now witnessed a generational change in culture that begins in late 2007 ish... and starting from this year, youngest teenager is born in 2000 and late 90s born who are only few years younger than me do no remember 90s at all

I would relate more to late 80s born than of 1998 born in short for me personally ;)

as of January 2013, most 18 year old are 1994 born (this includes Justin Bieber who was born in February 1994)

by large 1992-1997 born share both traits of gen Y and Z so you can't really define them attitude and culture wise but the middle point of the cutoff would be between 1994 and 1995 as the median gap for the division of the generation label ;)

http://www.shoprite.co.za/pages/127416071/consumer-centre/Advice/Dietary-Guidelines-for-Children.asp Table 1 here is a good reference.

Childhood begins at 4 so those born in 1993 or later were only children in the late 90s which is when a lot of technological transitions were taking place to the exent that some people consider 1998 (maybe late 1997) to be the beginning of the digital world. People born in 1993 onwards would be struggling to recall the analogue world whereas Generation Y (1992 and earlier) turned 4 before 1997 and would have at least one year of childhood before the transitions began to occur and for that reason someone born in 1994 would be more on par with someone born in 1998. Which makes sense, because the difference is only four years. The difference between 1994 and even 1989 is a bigger gap. Also, 1997 would be highly unlikely to show traits of Generation Y. They didn't turn 4 until 2001. Your childhood began during the transition, not just before it.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/27/13 at 4:43 pm

Childhood begins at 4 so those born in 1993 or later were only children in the late 90s which is when a lot of technological transitions were taking place to the exent that some people consider 1998 (maybe late 1997) to be the beginning of the digital world.

People born in 1993 onwards would be struggling to recall the analogue world whereas Generation Y (1992 and earlier) turned 4 before 1997 and would have at least one year of childhood before the transitions began to occur and for that reason someone born in 1994 would be more on par with someone born in 1998.

You're acting as if the technological transition happened from one day to another. I remember how life was in the late 90s and I can tell you: Do you seriously think people - and especially 4-year-old kids - could distinguish between 1996 and 1997 or 1997 and 1998 in technological and pop cultural aspects back then? That's so absurd....

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/27/13 at 5:22 pm

You're acting as if the technological transition happened from one day to another. I remember how life was in the late 90s and I can tell you: Do you seriously think people - and especially 4-year-old kids - could distinguish between 1996 and 1997 or 1997 and 1998 in technological and pop cultural aspects back then? That's so absurd....

Maybe not directly, but they lived through a time where particular technology didn't exist or wasn't relevant enough to have shaped them at a young age. For example, let's say someone was born in 1992 and they remember things from 1995/1996 onwards. Suppose their family got a DVD player in the late 90s. Even if the DVD player was introduced to the household in late 1997 the VCR has been in the house for as long as the 1992-born can remember, the DVD player was something "new" after at least a year or so of conscious memorable living with the VCR.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/27/13 at 5:27 pm

Suppose their family got a DVD player in the late 90s. Even if the DVD player was introduced to the household in late 1997 the VCR has been in the house for as long as the 1992-born can remember, the DVD player was something "new" after at least a year or so of conscious memorable living with the VCR.

Suppose, somebody born a bit later than the '92er didn't get exposed to a DVD player before 2003 and the family stuck with VHS (which was actually not too uncommon). What's then?

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/27/13 at 5:31 pm

Suppose, somebody born a bit later than the '92er didn't get exposed to a DVD player before 2003 and the family stuck with VHS (which was actually not too uncommon). What's then?

Well if terms such as Generation Y are going to exist the line has to be drawn somewhere. What can be said is that if 1997 is the year DVD players were introduced and those born in 1992 began their childhood in 1996, "worst case scenario" for them is they only experienced 1996 without a DVD player. Whereas, if somebody was born in 1993, they could have their childhood begin with the DVD player.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/27/13 at 6:36 pm

Well if terms such as Generation Y are going to exist the line has to be drawn somewhere. What can be said is that if 1997 is the year DVD players were introduced and those born in 1992 began their childhood in 1996, "worst case scenario" for them is they only experienced 1996 without a DVD player. Whereas, if somebody was born in 1993, they could have their childhood begin with the DVD player.

Lol, I didn't even know what a DVD was until maybe 1999, and even then VHS was still big.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/27/13 at 6:42 pm

1992 began their childhood in 1996, "worst case scenario" for them is they only experienced 1996 without a DVD player.

Yeah, that's probably it.  ::)

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/27/13 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, that's probably it.  ::)

It's nice to "pencil" in 1996 and 1997 into discussions. No pun intended...actually it might have been intended.

http://www.buybooks.ie/images/products/27/2208/Hand_hugger_pencil_158a_b__97207.gif

Written By: bchris02 on 01/27/13 at 7:09 pm

One thing that's very different today vs the 90s is you could drive through any residential neighborhood in the '90s and see children playing everywhere.  Today, you don't see children playing.  They are all in on their Xbox 360s or PS3s.  Of course we had SNES and N64, but because they lacked the social aspect today's online games do, they never could replace good ole' playing outside with friends.  Today's kids aren't getting to experience that and it actually makes me kind of sad.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/27/13 at 7:11 pm

Lol, I didn't even know what a DVD was until maybe 1999, and even then VHS was still big.

I remember it wasn't until 2003-04 that VHS started completely disappearing.  My family got our first DVD player in 2001.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/13 at 8:06 pm

Today, you don't see children playing.  They are all in on their Xbox 360s or PS3s

That is so true.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/27/13 at 8:11 pm

Well, I was not a '90s child. In the '90s I was a teenager...but here's my answer anyway. Why not, right? There aren't any reasons for me to feel "old" I think. I don't really think about it to be quite honest. I am nostalgic sometimes as many people are but it isn't something I think about every single day. I think there are certain days to be nostalgic, just not everyday or it can be too much. So, for those of you who said there isn't any '90s teenage nostalgia(and some of you did say it on other threads)...YES THERE IS!! I can't speak for anyone else but one of the reasons could be is those of us who are older probably keep it to ourselves more. I simply don't think about reasons why I should feel old sometimes, and in the end I don't feel old. And well, that is all I have to say about it right now...

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/28/13 at 3:42 am

http://www.shoprite.co.za/pages/127416071/consumer-centre/Advice/Dietary-Guidelines-for-Children.asp Table 1 here is a good reference.

Childhood begins at 4 so those born in 1993 or later were only children in the late 90s which is when a lot of technological transitions were taking place to the exent that some people consider 1998 (maybe late 1997) to be the beginning of the digital world. People born in 1993 onwards would be struggling to recall the analogue world whereas Generation Y (1992 and earlier) turned 4 before 1997 and would have at least one year of childhood before the transitions began to occur and for that reason someone born in 1994 would be more on par with someone born in 1998. Which makes sense, because the difference is only four years. The difference between 1994 and even 1989 is a bigger gap. Also, 1997 would be highly unlikely to show traits of Generation Y. They didn't turn 4 until 2001. Your childhood began during the transition, not just before it.

Yes you are right in regards to the whole knowledge of the transition, but at least 1994 born do remember the transition and live prior to it and digital technology didn't take full effect until around mid 00's anyways, we are not 90s kid by large but 1994 kids are at least "partially 90s kids" (the tail end of the 20th century) and the reason I personally par with late 80s born is that their attitude is similar to the mid 90s born

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/28/13 at 3:48 am

Yeah, this is exactly why you should not try to draw a definite "line" between the end of one generation and the beginning of another. Even if you run with the assumption that everybody purchased their first DVD player at some point during 1997, is there really that much of a logical difference between someone whose parents got a DVD player when they were five versus someone whose parents got a DVD player when they were four? Does experiencing 1996 as a 4-year-old without a DVD player, and experiencing 1996 as a 3-year-old without a DVD player really constitute a "generation gap"?

I think that the technological changes of the late 90's often get overblown in these discussions anyway. I didn't get the internet until 2000, a DVD player until 2001, or a cell phone until 2005. I guess that's why the late 90's have always seemed more "old school" to me than they do to some others.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/28/13 at 5:19 am

Yes you are right in regards to the whole knowledge of the transition, but at least 1994 born do remember the transition and live prior to it and digital technology didn't take full effect until around mid 00's anyways

Even I don't remember the 'digital transition' since it happened somewhere in the early 80s. I grew up with a CD player which is also present on some pictures in the background where I am still a baby and my mom feeds me. Digital technology was and is so normal to me and I wonder how somebody 8 years younger than me can think that he remembers a time before it.

The only transition I really remember was the shift to the more 'connected world' - when information technology and cell phones took over. And that was in the mid/late 90s - so pretty much too early for somebody born in 1994.

How did digital technology not take effect until the mid 00s? My whole youth was 'digital' and defined by the WWW...

Check for new replies or respond here...