inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were typewriters still common in the early 90s?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/21/13 at 1:17 pm

I would guess they probably were since most people didn't have a personal computer until the late 90s/early 00s, but I can't remember. Did most people have a typewriter at home into the 90s?

Subject: Re: Were typewriters still common in the early 90s?

Written By: nally on 01/21/13 at 1:20 pm

I did.

In fact, I even used them when I took a typing class in 1997 (since the classroom was equipped with them). However, after my typing class was finished, we packed our typewriter away. They are still used, albeit rarely, in some offices (at least those I've been in).

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/21/13 at 1:28 pm

I would guess they probably were since most people didn't have a personal computer until the late 90s/early 00s, but I can't remember. Did most people have a typewriter at home into the 90s?

In Germany we definetly had them. My father is a teacher and I clearly remember how he produced worksheets, letters etc. with a real mechanical typewriter. I have also a certificate from 1993 which was written on a typewriter and I think some of my earlier documents from Elementary School were also written on such a machine.

Around 1995, my father bought a used electronical typewriter and I got his old one. It was fun to have it and I used it quite a lot. The typewriting era was finally over after I got my first PC in 1999.

My birth certificate and the one of my sister (1978) were already written on an elecronic typewriter BTW, so especially the mechanical one was pretty old technology in the 90s.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/21/13 at 1:38 pm

I had a typing class in 95 or 96, and we used typewriters.  Believe it or not, we STILL use one at my current job... our accounting dept uses it for checks from time to time.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/21/13 at 2:05 pm

They were common even in the mid '90s, I actually had a few typewriters even after I had already had a computer. Though I think my first was like this kids typewriter which was probably in 92 or so before I had a PC. Later I got this electronic typewriter and I typed a report for third grade on it, that would have been circa 1995.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/21/13 at 2:14 pm

I have never used a typewriter. However, I remember there being typewriting classes when I was in Jr High school, the years were from 1991 to 1994. So yes, typewriters were still common in the 1990s especially early in the decade.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/21/13 at 4:27 pm

When I was a kid I remember my parents having a typewriter that just sat unused in a closet.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/21/13 at 4:36 pm

When I was a kid I remember my parents having a typewriter that just sat unused in a closet.

Did they have a PC and a printer instead?

Written By: warped on 01/21/13 at 4:41 pm

We had a typewiter I used since the 1960s. Used it through all of high school & University. Last time I used it was to type my resumé in 1987.  My girlfriend (now my wife) got a PC in late 1989 or 1990 and  I doubt I used a typewriter after that. Even if the workplace we stopped using typewriters in 1989ish.  (Our department at work had a typing pool and it was eliminated in 1989 when everyone got a PC)

Written By: Late90s on 01/21/13 at 6:02 pm

A typewriter plays a major role in a 1997 Goosebumps book, so even later in the 90s, typewriters must've still had some relevance.

http://contentcafe2.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?&userID=NYPL49807&password=CC68707&Value=0590568922&content=M&Return=1&Type=M

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/13 at 6:21 pm

I first learned to type on a manual typewriter in 9th grade (took typing in school). When I first went into the service, I had to learn to type on a teletype (a lot slower than a regular typewriter). By the mid 80s, manual typewriters were being phased out and electric typewriters were coming into. It was about this time when I taught typing. It was about mid-'80s when word processors came into play. Then in the early '90s, I got a job doing data entry-yet another machine I had to learn. That job only lasted about a year (I'm surprised that it lasted that long but I must have been a glutton for punishment at the time.  ::) ). By mid-90s, the computer was the craze-but I still had my word-processor.  :D :D ;D ;D

With all the typing I have done via work-not to mention my personal typing, I became quite proficient-still am. I haven't had a typing test in years but the last time I recall taking a typing test I was up to 50 words a minute (with less than 5 errors) on a teletype-like I said, it is slower than a typewriter/computer. I'm sure I can type faster than that now.

Cat

Written By: tv on 01/21/13 at 6:28 pm

My Dad had a typerwriter in his office  in 1994.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/13 at 7:21 pm

I think between 1990-1995 typewriters were common then I think they faded out and just became antiques afterwards.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/13 at 8:18 pm

http://l.wigflip.com/3XXnjpCP/screedbot.gif

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/22/13 at 12:02 am

Yep. In fact, my Grandmother still used a typewriter to write out long letters to people into the early 00's. In my first couple of years in school (maybe about 1992-94) our school secretary also still used a typewriter.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 3:16 am

Yep. In fact, my Grandmother still used a typewriter to write out long letters to people into the early 00's. In my first couple of years in school (maybe about 1992-94) our school secretary also still used a typewriter.

Older people seem to use it even nowadays. Some time ago, a man stood at our University campus and distributed propaganda... also written on a typewriter... in 2011 or 12  :o

Written By: warped on 01/22/13 at 3:22 am

Older people seem to use it even nowadays. Some time ago, a man stood at our University campus and distributed propaganda... also written on a typewriter... in 2011 or 12  :o

There's probably a segment of the older population ( such as my parents) who were terrified to use any type of computer ( Even a 286 or 386 when we had one) and would rather remain in their comfort zone and use the old reliable typewriter. I say "terrified" because of the fear they had of making a mistake on a computer and thinking they might ...I dunno...destroy the computer or shut the power down in the whole city or whatever.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 3:37 am

There's probably a segment of the older population ( such as my parents) who were terrified to use any type of computer ( Even a 286 or 386 when we had one) and would rather remain in their comfort zone and use the old reliable typewriter. I say "terrified" because of the fear they had of making a mistake on a computer and thinking they might ...I dunno...destroy the compueter or shut the power down in the whole city or whatever.

Yes, that's true. My grandparents also don't belong to the generation that use computers. I think, they also had a typewriter, but that was it. My parents are probably part of the first wave who use computers and the internet without instruction on a regular base when they are old.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 6:43 am

Wow an antique typewriter in 2012. Who'd thought that would exist now?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 6:46 am

Wow an antique typewriter in 2012. Who'd thought that would exist now?

I have found two old typewriters in my grandparants' attic not too long ago, while one is probably from the 50s or so. I'll probably sell them on eBay.

Written By: 1993 on 01/22/13 at 10:12 am

Yes. Only in the mid 90's did they start looking like relics. I used one to type something up in 3rd grade (1992-1993) when I broke a couple of fingers playing hockey. Also used one on a few assignments in 4th grade. Didn't use 'em often, but they were around.

Written By: Inertia on 01/22/13 at 11:36 am

I used a typewriter through part of the 1990's to write short stories up until we bought our first computer in 1998.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 12:49 pm

I have found two old typewriters in my grandparants' attic not too long ago, while one is probably from the 50s or so. I'll probably sell them on eBay.

Do they still work?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 12:51 pm

Do they still work?

I have not tried it yet. The old one is very dusty. But I think they need some oil...

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 1:25 pm

I have not tried it yet. The old one is very dusty. But I think they need some oil...

does it need a black ink tape strip?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/22/13 at 4:12 pm

You know that last factory on the planet that made typewriters closed in India in 2011?

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:31 am

You know that last factory on the planet that made typewriters closed in India in 2011?

Why? They went bankrupt?

Written By: Starde on 01/24/13 at 7:28 pm

I remember my family using typewriters in the 90's. I never used it myself, but I remember always being intrigued by it.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 6:35 am

http://jproc.ca/rrp/alert_adler_typewriter3.jpg

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/25/13 at 6:53 am

I think that's the one I had in the 90s:

It had no "1"-key BTW :(

http://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/olympia-monica-mechanisch-farbhebel-schwarz-rot-weiss-laesst-sich-nicht-mehr-bewegen/0_big.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 7:53 pm

I think that's the one I had in the 90s:

It had no "1"-key BTW :(

http://images.gutefrage.net/media/fragen/bilder/olympia-monica-mechanisch-farbhebel-schwarz-rot-weiss-laesst-sich-nicht-mehr-bewegen/0_big.jpg

What happened to the "1" key? ???

Written By: nally on 01/25/13 at 7:56 pm

I do happen to know that many early typewriters, particularly the manual ones, lacked a "1" key; the lowercase L ("l") was used instead because of its similarity to the number 1 in serifed fonts.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/26/13 at 4:03 am

It was broken :(

I had to use indeed the "I" instead. That looked weird.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/13 at 6:50 am

It was broken :(

I had to use indeed the "I" instead. That looked weird.

Well the "I" key and "1" key looks similiar.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/27/13 at 7:18 am

yes they were, where I was it was still common in late 90s but by 2000 its started to become an antique

Written By: nally on 01/27/13 at 1:30 pm

Well the "I" key and "1" key looks similiar.

Both of them probably looked like a vertical line, which made sense.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/27/13 at 8:23 pm

Both of them probably looked like a vertical line, which made sense.

Back in the l970s, it was easier to type a lowercase "l" because it was right there on the home row beneath a fairly strong finger.  On a manual typewriter, it was both faster and more accurate to use an "l" instead of a "1" than it was to reach all the way up and to the left with the weakest (pinky) finger of most peoples' weakest (left) hand to press the "1" key.

If that looks wierd, try looking at it the way it looked in a typewriter:

Back in the l970s, it was easier to type a lowercase "l" because it was right there on the home row beneath a fairly strong finger.  On a manual typewriter, it was both faster and more accurate to use an "l" instead of a "1" than it was to reach all the way up and to the left with the weakest (pinky) finger of most peoples' weakest (left) hand to press the "1" key.

And now you know why old people occasionally type things like "l970s" or "lst place" in their emails.

Written By: nally on 01/28/13 at 10:50 am

That's what I thought. Our manual typewriter (which we still have, although it's packed away) lacked a "1" key and I remember asking my parents about it and they said that the lowercase "L" was to be used instead. I understood that, as the lowercase l's were mostly indistinguishable from number 1's, especially in serifed fonts. However, once typewriters were made with 1 keys, the typed 1's began to differ in appearance from l's (except for those which used Courier font).

If that looks weird, try looking at it the way it looked in a typewriter:

of course.

And now you know why old people occasionally type things like "l970s" or "lst place" in their emails.

Yep, some of them still do. In today's world, the latter item might be interpreted by some as a misspelling of "last place", which is a far cry from "1st place"!

Check for new replies or respond here...