inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What '90s vintage items do you still have?

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/28/13 at 12:35 pm

So is there anything vintage from the '90s that you still have after all these years?

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/Jaylai11/006-1_zps9df81d18.jpg

Here is a picture of my babydoll type dress that I wore to my sophomore high school picture in 1995. Babydoll dresses were very popular in the '90s, and I remember having several of them throughout the decade. I wanted to post my sophomore picture but I don't have the photo in a place where I can actually look for it and is in storage right now(sorry everyone). Looking at the dress today...it is so small :\'(

Subject: Re: What '90s vintage items do you still have?

Written By: FamilyMan on 01/28/13 at 12:46 pm

If something is "vintage", it is at least thirty years old. So anything after 1983 isn't vintage yet. It is just retro.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/28/13 at 1:23 pm

I have still got all my Gameboy games somewhere in a box.

Written By: Tam on 01/28/13 at 2:11 pm

FamilyMan - please note this thread:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=46003.0

Your posts are being monitored and if you insist on posting anymore decadeology or other useless garbage, your IP and email address will be blocked and banned from this site.

Thanks

Tam - inthe00s.com Moderator

Written By: karen on 01/28/13 at 2:18 pm

Plenty of clothes and jewellery that I regularly wear dates from the 90s.  Not sure any of it was ever 'cutting edge' though.

In terms of household furniture the item that most screams 90s to me is the black ash effect cupboard that we bought with money given to us as wedding present.  It was the height of fashion in 92!

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/28/13 at 2:27 pm

Gosh, I still have tons of stuff from the 90s. Dozens of video games for GameBoy, SNES, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64. Plenty of toys I have stored away somewhere. I doubt I have many clothes still since I was a child, but I'm sure my mom kept some of my baby clothes (although many would have been hand-me-downs from my older brother and cousins who were born in the mid-late 80s).

I never really thought about any of these things as vintage or retro items since the 90s were only ~14-23 years ago, and it's not so rare to hold onto some items that long. Although this is giving me an idea for a different thread...

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/28/13 at 3:28 pm

To me, "vintage" must be at least 25 years old, since that's when a car can get "Classic" or "Historic" vehicle plates (1988). It does sicken me to see how frequently the '90s are labeled as "vintage", they are just "old school" or perhaps "retro". I still have all my Pogs, my sister still has her Barbies, dollhouse, Beanie Babies, and we still have lots of PC and video games from the '90s still around that it still feels like yesteryear, unlike the '80s which really feels "vintage" to me (even have a few pre-recorded VHS's as early as 1986). We still have many travel brochores from the '90s as well. My late '90s-era TV and VCR are still in my bedroom, along with some items from school from that decade that I could write a whole book about what I still have from the '90s. Lots of cassettes and CDs too. 

Written By: nally on 01/28/13 at 3:56 pm

I have still got all my Gameboy games somewhere in a box.

I've got all of mine too...as well as the Gameboy itself. In fact, I played with 'em just a couple years ago to bring back some memories.

Written By: Inertia on 01/28/13 at 4:03 pm

I still have my Nintendo 64 and games. They all still work. I also have several computer games from that time.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/28/13 at 4:28 pm

I've got all of mine too...as well as the Gameboy itself. In fact, I played with 'em just a couple years ago to bring back some memories.

Really?! Does it still work today? That's a nice little vintage item! So many people still have them, lol.

Written By: nally on 01/28/13 at 4:31 pm

Really?! Does it still work today? That's a nice little vintage item! So many people still have them, lol.

Oh yes, it's in good working condition. Due in part to the fact that I have kept said items protected for the past 20+ years in a special carrying case.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 7:26 pm

And so do I complete with the small console but not in the greatest condition after 23 years.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 7:27 pm

I may want to give away my Gameboy.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 7:28 pm

My Tamagotchi, since my virtual pet died over a decade ago I stopped putting batteries in it.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/13 at 7:29 pm

mine works but the screen is shyt!

Written By: valleyroads on 01/28/13 at 10:50 pm

Other than my Pokemon, NASCAR and baseball trading cards, Furby, Crash Dummies and GigaPet, I still have a lot of it, lots of T-shirts, the full set of Star Wars Episode 1 Pepsi cans, a bunch of other Episode 1 promotional stuff, old flattened collectible cereal boxes, a ton of Jeff Gordon memorabilia, among other things. Packed away with family until I move out of my current city and get into a place where I have room for it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/28/13 at 10:57 pm

Some flannel shirts, an MJ cassette sinmgle from 1997, and some video taped movies.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/28/13 at 11:17 pm

I've still got plenty of video tapes from that era including an uncut copy of Transformers: The Movie that I got from the local Jumbo Video store before our store went out of business sometime in the 1990s.  Audio cassettes that have been sitting in a shoe box getting old.  :)  I still have some New Kids On The Block buttons from when I was 16.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/28/13 at 11:47 pm

I have a friend that might buy the NKOTB buttons from you. She loves them!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/29/13 at 12:33 am

I have a friend that might buy the NKOTB buttons from you. She loves them!

Ooh! Sadly they're not for sale.  :)  I don't want to sell anything that I got from my grandmother.  :(

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/29/13 at 2:31 am

an MJ cassette sinmgle from 1997, and some video taped movies.

While you're just saying this..

I have also got lots of CDs from the late 90s. Actually most of my CDs are from that time, because I switched to MP3 already in the early 00s.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/13 at 6:57 am

Would articles from the newspaper be considered a "vintage item"? I used to save Year In Reviews starting from 20 years ago from the newspaper from when the year was over I collected them and put them away for the future.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/29/13 at 7:58 am

I still have some New Kids On The Block buttons from when I was 16.  :)

I remember those!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/29/13 at 3:08 pm

I remember those!  :)

Do you have NKOTB trading cards?

Written By: nally on 01/29/13 at 4:03 pm

I may want to give away my Gameboy.

Not me; I'm never parting with mine. I have plenty of memories attached to it...and I may decide to play with it again sometime.

Written By: nally on 01/29/13 at 4:06 pm

Would articles from the newspaper be considered a "vintage item"? I used to save Year In Reviews starting from 20 years ago from the newspaper from when the year was over I collected them and put them away for the future.

Articles from the newspaper? Probably not, per se... but I guess it depends on how you look at 'em. I saved a few newspaper articles from that time period. It might also depend on the significance of the content of the article.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/29/13 at 8:46 pm

I don't but I remember them very well.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/13 at 12:23 am

I do.  :) I have them in two little photo albums.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/13 at 6:39 am

Not me; I'm never parting with mine. I have plenty of memories attached to it...and I may decide to play with it again sometime.

mine is not in the greatest condition after 23 years but I actually bought it 20 years ago when Gameboy was the hottest selling item.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/13 at 6:41 am

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6108677/il_fullxfull.242290540.jpg

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/30/13 at 10:02 am

They will keep well for a long time.

Written By: nally on 01/30/13 at 10:54 am

mine is not in the greatest condition after 23 years but I actually bought it 20 years ago when Gameboy was the hottest selling item.

So you bought yours used?

Mine was given to me as a birthday present in 1991, brand-new, complete with owner's manual and a Tetris game. I remember I wanted one after going to a friend's house and playing with his Gameboy.

Written By: nally on 01/30/13 at 10:56 am

I don't remember those...but I do know that Topps produced non-sports trading cards over the years. On that note, I do have thousands of baseball cards (mostly Topps) from that era, and I am still in the process of completing my 1992 set; there are still 15 specific cards that I need.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/13 at 12:08 pm

They will keep well for a long time.

That's what I want!

I've carefully preserved every piece of NKOTB memorabilia that I owned in my life from 1990-1994 when they broke up.  The collector cards, every picture of them that I proudly displayed on my bedroom walls.
I just can't really part with anything that had anything to do with my pretty boys from Boston even if I wanted to.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/13 at 7:27 pm

So you bought yours used?

Mine was given to me as a birthday present in 1991, brand-new, complete with owner's manual and a Tetris game. I remember I wanted one after going to a friend's house and playing with his Gameboy.

I bought it new but over the years I used a lot and the wear and tear got to it, the screen and battery corrosion took it's toll too.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/30/13 at 9:45 pm

I have the first edition cards.  :) I saw the second edition cards on Etsy but they wanted $50.

Written By: af2010 on 01/30/13 at 9:57 pm

I don't think I have anything from the 90s, in my possession at least.  All my stuff (what's left of it) is at my parent's house.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/13 at 6:57 am

I have the first edition cards.  :) I saw the second edition cards on Etsy but they wanted $50.

I can't believe these cards are almost 25 years old? :o

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/31/13 at 9:04 am

So in 15 or 25 years, they will most likely go up from $50 to maybe $150!

Written By: nally on 01/31/13 at 5:35 pm

I wonder if my current baseball cards will ever go up that much in price. Most of the cards I own are between 20 and 26 years of age.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/31/13 at 5:47 pm

I wonder if my current baseball cards will ever go up that much in price. Most of the cards I own are between 20 and 26 years of age.

You could go to Esty, and see if they have any similar baseball cards. :)

Written By: RG1995 on 01/31/13 at 7:35 pm

http://assets25.pokemon.com/assets/cms/img/video-games/redblue/redblue_maindetail.jpg

Both of them, and also Gold, Silver, and Sapphire (though Sapphire was early 00s). I was obsessed at one point...  :(

Written By: nally on 01/31/13 at 8:55 pm

You could go to Esty, and see if they have any similar baseball cards. :)

I have been there, to see what they've got. I have complete sets of baseball Topps cards from every year from 1987 through 1991, and my 1992 collection is almost complete, except I need 15 specific cards to complete that set. I also have the complete set of 1993 Topps (whose base set had the most cards, with 825) and 2006 Topps.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 6:38 am

depends if they're in good condition.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/01/13 at 8:21 am

depends if they're in good condition.

That's true. But if the cards are priced at $50 then I am guessing they must be in good condition. *fluttering my eye lashes at you Howard* lol. Don't worry, I always do that when I am being friendly. :)

Written By: nally on 02/01/13 at 11:17 am

That's true. But if the cards are priced at $50 then I am guessing they must be in good condition. *fluttering my eye lashes at you Howard* lol. Don't worry, I always do that when I am being friendly. :)

They probably are. If they are rare, then that might also contribute to the asking price.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/01/13 at 2:07 pm

A binder full of X-Men Trading cards

SNES Games: Super T-Type, Contra and LEgend of Zelda Link to the past
a PS1 and a plethora of games

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 7:24 pm

a PS1 and a plethora of games

Wow you have a PS1?  :o

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/02/13 at 9:47 pm

Wow you have a PS1?  :o

I'm real sentimental when it comes to my systems. I haven't thrown any of them away.
NES
SNES
Ps1
PSX (slim Ps1)
NES 64
NES Gamecube
Ps2 (two of them)
I got em all.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/13 at 7:36 am

I'm real sentimental when it comes to my systems. I haven't thrown any of them away.
NES
SNES
Ps1
PSX (slim Ps1)
NES 64
NES Gamecube
Ps2 (two of them)
I got em all.

Are you gonna sell them?  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 09/19/17 at 8:06 pm

I still have my cassettes/cassette singles, CD singles, and a few clothing items all from the '90s...except one of my cassette singles which is from 1989. I just can't be rid of them lol!

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/20/17 at 6:35 am

Most of what you have isn't worth too much unless if its scarcely produced, for example indie rock promo singles, couture fashion from high-end boutiques and department stores, low print video games, or Alpha/Beta edition Mox or Black Lotus M:TG cards. Still, we're at the point where I'd start saving certain items that you can't find with ease on sites like eBay, since a lot of 2000s and 2010s stuff will continue to push the '90s further into the vintage background. Of course, some of what was popular will have sentimental value for the next several decades for the sake of nostalgia, but some day, outside of a few valuable or hard-to-find items, stuff like most baseball cards from that decade, Mariah Carey CDs, EA Sports video games, pogs, and best-selling novels will continue to occupy "junk shops" compared to low-print fan magazines or Hagane: The Final Conflict cartridges.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/20/17 at 6:48 am

SNES

Written By: Howard on 09/20/17 at 7:27 am

I still have my cassette tapes and my Gameboy if you would call it 90's.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 9:55 pm

My Blue's Clues and Big Comfy Couch stuff, my Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails stuffed dolls, the Sonic Underground Knuckles stuffed doll I got at Denny's, my Spice Girls dolls, my Game Boy pocket with Pokémon Red, my Game Gear, my Pokémon cards, my Rocko stuffed doll, my Spice Girls CD, and MegaMan X POGs my neighbor gave me...

Check for new replies or respond here...