inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most disappointing sequels and prequels released in the 90s

Written By: Jim on 03/07/13 at 10:51 pm

Here's my list of them in no particular order

Jurassic Park: The Lost World

Home Alone 2

The Phantom Menace

Sister Act 2

City Slickers 2

Speed 2

I didn't put any threequels and direct to dvd sequels on the list because the majority of those you expect to suck.

What would you add to the list?

Subject: Re: Most disappointing sequels and prequels released in the 90s

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/13 at 11:05 pm

I found all of the movies in your list entertaining. 

Home Alone 2 was definately not disappointing.  It was Home Alone 3, 4, and 5 that were disappointing

Written By: af2010 on 03/07/13 at 11:13 pm

Agreed on The Lost World and Phantom Menace.  I thought Home Alone 2 was alright, but that could be because it's one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters.  It seems like most sequels that aren't planned from the beginning tend to be disappointing.

Written By: Isaac the Incredible on 03/07/13 at 11:15 pm

Agreed on The Lost World and Phantom Menace.  I thought Home Alone 2 was alright, but that could be because it's one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters.  It seems like most sequels that aren't planned from the beginning tend to be disappointing.

Home Alone 2 was just as good as the first one, talkboy anyone?

Written By: Isaac the Incredible on 03/07/13 at 11:17 pm

If you want a tight film then the first Home Alone was better. If you want a loose film then Home Alone 2.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/07/13 at 11:19 pm

Out of your list, I really like Lost World.  Of the rest I have only seen Speed 2 and agree that was a turkey. 

Written By: Howard on 03/08/13 at 5:26 am

How about The Back To The Future sequels? ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/13 at 10:51 am

How about The Back To The Future sequels? ???

Back to the Future III was not disappointing at all.  It was epic!

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/13 at 10:54 am

Sister Act 2

Sister Act 2 was great! Lauryn Hill was fantastic.

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/13 at 10:55 am

I wish Muss Congeniality 2 had been a little better. I found it entertaining but it couldve been better executed.

Written By: warped on 03/08/13 at 12:52 pm

I found all of the movies in your list entertaining. 

Home Alone 2 was definately not disappointing.  It was Home Alone 3, 4, and 5 that were disappointing

eeyup. Agreed on all counts, except I didn't like "Speed 2" that much

Written By: Howard on 03/08/13 at 7:43 pm

Wasn't there a Back To The Future 4? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/08/13 at 9:35 pm

Rocky V was a real stinkeroo.  The only thing I liked was the archival footage of Burgess Meredith. 
"Get up you sonofabitch, 'cos Mickey loves ya!"
8)

Blues Brothers 2000 was sacrilege.  Should not have been made.  Shame on John Landis and Dan Aykroyd!

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/13 at 11:18 pm

Wasn't there a Back To The Future 4? ???

Yes and No.  There was no actual film title with that name, but there was an episode of the 90s sitcom Spin City titled "Back to the Future IV:  Judgement Day"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/13 at 7:54 pm

Can't believe some of these haven't been mentioned:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/4/4b/BeverlyHillsCopIIIPoster.jpg

To be fair, the first two "Beverly Hills Cop" films are among my favorite comedies of all time, so maybe that makes this movie seem worse than it really is. Either way, this is definitely the beginning of the rather lengthy Eddie Murphy "swoon era".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/The_next_karate_kid.jpg/220px-The_next_karate_kid.jpg

Okay, so the other "Karate Kid" sequels from the 80's both suck too. I admit that. Of course, that doesn't make this movie suck any less!

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTA0NjU1OTE4MTJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDc1OTEzMjE@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

I remember seeing this movie in theatres back in the summer of 1993. It was so terrible that I didn't even like it then, and I was a 6-year-old massive TMNT fan.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a2/Batman_%26_robin_poster.jpg/220px-Batman_%26_robin_poster.jpg

No comment necessary.

Jurassic Park: The Lost World

Home Alone 2

The Phantom Menace

Sister Act 2

City Slickers 2

Speed 2

I actually like the first three, but yeah, the last three are pure garbage. Especially "Speed 2" which, to me, might be the worst squeal ever.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/13 at 8:59 pm

The Next Karate Kid, yes.  Beverly Hills Cop III?  Not a chance.  That movie was great!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/13 at 12:15 am

The Next Karate Kid, yes.  Beverly Hills Cop III?  Not a chance.  That movie was great!

I would say that I find it more "disappointing" than "bad". I agree that Cop III is actually a pretty good movie in it's own right, but I and II are such all-time classics that they probably cause me to dislike III a bit more than I otherwise would.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/13 at 7:11 am

How about Nutty Professor and Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps?

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/14/13 at 11:28 pm

How about Nutty Professor and Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps?

Both of them  8-P

Written By: Howard on 03/15/13 at 5:38 am

Both of them  8-P

I agree, I wasn't too crazy about them.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/24/13 at 12:51 pm

The Batman series was disapointing to me.  It went from one bad actor to play Batman to another.
Michael Keaton=Good
Val Kilmer= Remedial
George Clooney= Sucked

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/26/13 at 8:12 pm

The Phantom Menace
-- Revenge of the Sith was EVERYTHING I thought TPM was gonna be. This is why I avoided Attack of the Clones. Still have not seen Clones yet. I've only seen two of the prequels and only one was worth it.

Batman & Robin
-- Didn't (really) like it then, don't like it now. Even Batman (1966) is a better movie than this. I wanted to see this so bad when it came out; be careful what you wish for.  ;D I liked Batman Forever waaay better than this... but still not as much as Batman or Batman Returns... let alone Christopher Nolan's trilogy.

Robocop 3
-- I saw it on VHS and thought it paled in comparison to the first two with Peter Weller.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
-- What? No Shredder? No Super Shredder??? A character named Yoshi that isn't a dinosaur?  ;D

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie
-- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie had elaborate sets and costumes, Ivan Ooze, and a respectable budget. Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie had the same sets and costumes as the forthcoming Turbo season, Justin (the little kid who becomes the new Blue Ranger), and a TV budget. There hasn't been a theatrically-released Power Rangers movie since.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/26/13 at 10:16 pm

Batman & Robin
-- Didn't (really) like it then, don't like it now. Even Batman (1966) is a better movie than this. I wanted to see this so bad when it came out; be careful what you wish for.  I liked Batman Forever waaay better than this... but still not as much as Batman or Batman Returns... let alone Christopher Nolan's trilogy.

My thing about Batman and Robin wasn't just who they got to play Batman but it was also  who they got to play Robin? Chris O'Donel.  He wouldn't have been my first choice to play the Boy Wonder.  :(  That coupled with the fact that BM & R wasn't one of Clooney's best roles. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/13 at 10:49 pm

Phantom Menace sucked moose meat.  I hated it so much I didn't bother to go see it again and I sat out the next prequel.  Sith I have to say I liked quite a lot.  If George Lucas makes more Star Wars, I'll watch them.  Just no more of that Jar Jar Binks sh*t, O.K., George?
::)

http://hypervocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Jar-Jar-hate.jpeg

Written By: Howard on 03/27/13 at 6:44 am

Phantom Menace sucked moose meat.  I hated it so much I didn't bother to go see it again and I sat out the next prequel.  Sith I have to say I liked quite a lot.  If George Lucas makes more Star Wars, I'll watch them.  Just no more of that Jar Jar Binks sh*t, O.K., George?
::)

http://hypervocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Jar-Jar-hate.jpeg

I hated Jar Jar Binks.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/27/13 at 11:13 am

NidV9LtzfxE

Sorry if this seems to be "inappropriate" but I just had to post this.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/27/13 at 1:45 pm

Star Wars Episode I (I liked it at the time but grew to dislike it after each veiwing)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park II
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Return of Jafar
Aladdin and the 40 theives

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/27/13 at 1:46 pm

Alien 3 was pretty good, but disappointing in comparison with Aliens.  The sad thing is that the original script for the film was epic, and would have led to a classic film.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/13 at 7:12 pm

NidV9LtzfxE

Sorry if this seems to be "inappropriate" but I just had to post this.

;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/27/13 at 11:42 pm

;D

Yeah.  He does sort of sound like Roger Rabbit and looks like Joe Camel on acid.  ;D

"Excuse me? Mr Binks? <==================Laser blast=====================> BEEYOCH!!!!"

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/28/13 at 10:56 am

Never saw Speed 2 and never plan to, but since I don't expect much of it I wouldn't consider it a "disappointment". Agreed on Phantom Menace and Batman & Robin, but the most disappointing sequel of the 90's was Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/13 at 7:14 pm

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

Did you like them both?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/13 at 7:51 pm

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

Did you like them both?  ???

I did, and if Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter get their new script sold, the 3rd installment titled "Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return" will be even more excellent!

Written By: Howard on 03/29/13 at 6:52 am

I did, and if Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter get their new script sold, the 3rd installment titled "Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return" will be even more excellent!

I think Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves can definitely pull it off again after 22 years.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/13 at 10:21 am

I think Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves can definitely pull it off again after 22 years.

Yes, and they can also make Bill and Ted 3 :D

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/31/13 at 8:52 pm

Batman and Batman Returns were good and I liked Michael Keaton's performances.  Batman Forever was okay but I wasn't a fan of Val Kilmer's performance.  Batman & Robin sucked.  Usually George Clooney is a good actor, but not in this.   

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was okay but the first sequel, Secret of the Ooze was excellent!  Part 3 of the films was horrible. 

Jurrasic Park was a favorite of mine, however both sequels sucked. 

Speed was great but Speed 2: Cruise Control made me fall asleep. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/31/13 at 10:33 pm

Batman and Batman Returns were good and I liked Michael Keaton's performances.  Batman Forever was okay but I wasn't a fan of Val Kilmer's performance.  Batman & Robin sucked.  Usually George Clooney is a good actor, but not in this.   

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was okay but the first sequel, Secret of the Ooze was excellent!  Part 3 of the films was horrible. 

Jurrasic Park was a favorite of mine, however both sequels sucked. 

Speed was great but Speed 2: Cruise Control made me fall asleep.

Ouch!

Hot Shots Part Deux was pretty boring.  Whoever was the script writer for that one ought to have been shot.

Gremilins II: The New Batch.  Not as good as the original movie.  Another boring sequel in which the script writer ought to have been shot.

Check for new replies or respond here...