inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Spongebob that popular when it came out?

Written By: TheMusicdewd18 on 05/02/13 at 12:20 am

I watched Nick a lot in the 90's and early 2000's, but I don't remember it being all that popular when it came out. I mean it was popular, but not the phenomenon it is today.

Subject: Re: Was Spongebob that popular when it came out?

Written By: sonikuu on 05/02/13 at 5:12 am

Is Spongebob still popular with kids today?  I was under the impression it peaked sometime in the mid-00s. 

I was 10 years old in 1999, but I stopped watching Nickelodeon by that point.  Even as a kid, I thought it had declined in quality by that point.  Even in 1998, I was mostly just watching reruns of old stuff like Rocko's Modern Life instead of their new stuff.

Written By: ninny on 05/02/13 at 7:51 am

Is Spongebob still popular with kids today?  I was under the impression it peaked sometime in the mid-00s. 

I was 10 years old in 1999, but I stopped watching Nickelodeon by that point.  Even as a kid, I thought it had declined in quality by that point.  Even in 1998, I was mostly just watching reruns of old stuff like Rocko's Modern Life instead of their new stuff.

I'm not sure how popular it was when it came out, but I do know if you try turning Spongebob when my 4 year old grandson is watching he'll give you holy hell ;D he loves that show.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 8:29 am

It's more popular now than it was back when it first came on. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/13 at 12:52 pm

I think it took a year or two for Spongebob to get popular if that's what you mean. Some things become popular right away and some things take a few years. I think the peak of its popularity was the early and mid 00s. It was still somewhat popular in the late 00s also.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 12:59 pm

I think it took a year or two for Spongebob to get popular if that's what you mean. Some things become popular right away and some things take a few years. I think the peak of its popularity was the early and mid 00s. It was still somewhat popular in the late 00s also.

Family Guy was like that.  Back when it was first on, from 1999-2002, I didn't even know it had existed.  But since it came back in 2005 it has been a major success. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/13 at 2:00 pm

Family Guy was like that.  Back when it was first on, from 1999-2002, I didn't even know it had existed.  But since it came back in 2005 it has been a major success.

Yeah, you're mostly right. But the DVD sales of the 1999-2002 episodes in 2003 and 2004 made it popular even before 2005. I'd say 2003 was Family Guy's 'breakout' year.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/02/13 at 5:34 pm

Yeah, you're mostly right. But the DVD sales of the 1999-2002 episodes in 2003 and 2004 made it popular even before 2005. I'd say 2003 was Family Guy's 'breakout' year.

Most of the people at my school at the time, including myself, were introduced to Family Guy through Adult Swim.  Both Family Guy and Futurama were added to Adult Swim's lineup in 2003 and both would be revived in later years.  That said, Futurama's revival is coming to an end soon and Family Guy's revival has been horribly unfunny for years.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/13 at 5:49 pm

Most of the people at my school at the time, including myself, were introduced to Family Guy through Adult Swim.  Both Family Guy and Futurama were added to Adult Swim's lineup in 2003 and both would be revived in later years.  That said, Futurama's revival is coming to an end soon and Family Guy's revival has been horribly unfunny for years.

I'd have to agree. Some of Family Guy's material falls flat, the newer episodes.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 6:12 pm

I'd have to agree. Some of Family Guy's material falls flat, the newer episodes.

I agree.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 7:39 pm

and same thing with The Simpsons 25 years ago.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/02/13 at 7:57 pm

and same thing with The Simpsons 25 years ago.

The Simpsons is one that isn't as good now  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 6:37 am

The Simpsons is one that isn't as good now  :(

I know, it Isn't that good as it once was from 1988.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/03/13 at 11:51 am

I always remember watching Spongebob when it came out, although my brother thought it was going to flop hard just from watching the commercials :O Shame the new episodes aren't funny anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/13 at 2:44 pm

Same with me. I was 12 when Spongebob started and only occasionally still watching Nickelodeon by that point, so I think I've seen maybe two episodes of the show from start to finish during it's whole run.

Despite that, I don't recall it being particularly popular at first. Back in 1999, the kids landscape was dominated by anime like Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z. This was also at a time when Cartoon Network was really making a serious push at challenging Nickelodeon's position as the number one kids network with shows like Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo and Toonami. I know that, by '99, Cartoon Network was seen as the "cooler" network by the junior high crowd at least, so perhaps that had something to do with it taking a couple of years for Spongebob to really explode in popularity.

Written By: TheMusicdewd18 on 05/06/13 at 4:18 pm

Funny thing is, I much prefered Nick as a kid.  Cartoon Network never had shows like Rugrats, Doug, or even Older Spongebob.  I also hated the anime stuff as a kid except Pokemon.  I only watched Cartoon Network for the Powerpuff Girls and Johnny Bravo, and reruns classic cartoons like Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Scoob-Doo, The Flintstones, etc.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/06/13 at 9:46 pm

I was mostly into Nick too.  Cartoon Network actully launched when I was 7 but I don't recall being into it as a kid.  I only am now because of Adult Swim and The Garfield Show.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/13 at 6:45 am

I used to watch Spongebob but now I'm more of a Family Guy, Simpsons and Bob's Burgers type of guy.

Written By: harry sanders on 06/30/13 at 3:09 am

No Rugrats was still the most popular cartoon on nickelodeon at the time. I think it started to get popular in 2004-05 when the nicktoons before it died out.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/30/13 at 8:12 pm

No Rugrats was still the most popular cartoon on nickelodeon at the time. I think it started to get popular in 2004-05 when the nicktoons before it died out.

I still watch Rugrats if it comes on!

Written By: Starde on 07/09/13 at 5:38 pm

Rugrats was da bomb! 8) Let's pretend that All Grown Up crap didn't happen.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 07/09/13 at 5:43 pm

Rugrats was da bomb! 8) Let's pretend that All Grown Up crap didn't happen.

Yes, lets do that.  I didn't enjoy that one at all. 

Check for new replies or respond here...