inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who remembers Discovery Zone?

Written By: Ralph_E_Fresh on 07/08/13 at 4:37 pm

Born in 1994, as a kid, typically around 1997-1999(unless the one I went to closed in 1999) I spent time at Discovery Zone, Discovery Zone was better than Chuck E Cheese, NOT because it is older or nostalgic, because actually I started going to Chuck E in 1999, so it's not a 90s thing, but because Discovery Zone was interactive, while Chuck E is based on games, sure Chuck had the playground, but that's it, all the other stuff was games, at Discovery Zone we had a Lazer Gun room, basically shoot all the cardboard cutouts, ballpit, swing, playground, etc.

I remember when they closed down my discovery zone at Metro Mall either in 1999, 2000 or 2001, I cannot recall, they put a Soda Machine to block the escalator, how sad I was as a kid.

Subject: Re: Who remembers Discovery Zone?

Written By: Tashlovglit on 07/09/13 at 9:02 am

My sister was obsessed with that place.

Written By: Starde on 07/09/13 at 6:37 pm

Discovery Zone sounds vaguely familiar.

Written By: Jquar on 07/10/13 at 12:15 am

Awesome when I was 4-5. By the time I was in about the 1st grade though I realized how tacky and insanitary the whole place felt. It closed down shortly thereafter.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/10/13 at 3:32 am

I had my 8th birthday party at Discovery Zone in 1998. Up until a few years before that, it was called Leaps & Bounds. Not sure if it was just a name change or if they were different at all, but it was fun.

I also had my 7th birthday at Chuck E. Cheese.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/10/13 at 8:23 am

I went there in 1996 for my brother's 8th birthday party, in which I was 11, shortly before I entered middle school. I was probably just young enough to enjoy, since I still remember it being better than Chuck 'E' Cheeses. They had a mini-zone for the tots, a small zone for preschoolers, and the mega zone for the grade schoolers. There was also a small arcade with about six machines. I felt like I had a great time even though I was a little older since I never experienced a play area so large. Had I gone just a couple years later I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/10/13 at 11:01 pm

I remember this place, I think I first went there probably around 1996 so I woulda been 9 or so. I only went there a few times but yeah I liked it.

Written By: harry sanders on 07/12/13 at 6:05 pm

Born in 1994, as a kid, typically around 1997-1999(unless the one I went to closed in 1999) I spent time at Discovery Zone, Discovery Zone was better than Chuck E Cheese, NOT because it is older or nostalgic, because actually I started going to Chuck E in 1999, so it's not a 90s thing, but because Discovery Zone was interactive, while Chuck E is based on games, sure Chuck had the playground, but that's it, all the other stuff was games, at Discovery Zone we had a Lazer Gun room, basically shoot all the cardboard cutouts, ballpit, swing, playground, etc.

I remember when they closed down my discovery zone at Metro Mall either in 1999, 2000 or 2001, I cannot recall, they put a Soda Machine to block the escalator, how sad I was as a kid.

Sorry, I don't remember discovery zone. But there was a place like discovery zone in new orleans that my mom would take me forget the name of it though.

Written By: J. Rob on 07/14/13 at 11:35 pm

The name rings a bell

EDIT: ah wait, I remember this commercial vividly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QpqR-fN0c

Written By: Howard on 07/15/13 at 6:26 am

The name rings a bell

EDIT: ah wait, I remember this commercial vividly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QpqR-fN0c

I remember this commercial when it was on television 20 years ago.

Written By: XYkid on 07/16/13 at 5:03 am

I can't recall if I ever went to a discovery zone. In Oregon we had OMSI, which had an awesome section just for kids (still there too). There is this place near where I live now called Discovery Cube, so honestly I have a feeling they still exist in some form.

Written By: ninny on 07/16/13 at 6:47 am

Their still in existence in a certain way, they just became Chuck E. Cheese.

Written By: elam on 08/13/13 at 6:18 pm

Me. I went there as a kid from around ages 5-9. My favorite was the tunnels / slides.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 08/13/13 at 7:28 pm

Is it the same as Ultra Zone? I remember a place called that and it was like an amped up Chuck E Cheeses.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/05/13 at 9:22 am

Yes! I remember Discovery Zone! I remember I had my 6th or 7th birthday party there. My childhood friends did too!

Written By: XYkid on 11/05/13 at 9:40 am

Chuck E. Cheese has been around since the 70s...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/06/13 at 8:41 am

sI5nYSYtZmw

I guess good ol Chuck-E-Cheese didn't want the competition?

Written By: popguru85 on 11/20/13 at 2:07 pm

I remember there being one about a half hour outside of my town but can't remember when it closed. I went to a few friend's bday parties there in elementary school.

Check for new replies or respond here...