inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Jurassic Park" turns 20!

Written By: The Valley Goth on 07/25/13 at 2:12 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

The original "Jurassic Park" movie turns 20 this year, so...throw confetti...and kiss a Velocoraptor...or, like, whatever, I'm shurr!

If you watched the movie in a theatre during 1993, what did you think of it?

My relationship with this movie is interesting.  As of 1993, I had been a dinosaur fan for literally YEARS during my childhood.  I'd been about 3, or so, when I had begun loving the idea of dinosaurs.  During 1988, my family had taken me on a trip to Dinosaur National Monument, and I'd enjoyed the trip marginally, through my failing health (We didn't realize that I was going downhill until later that year).

Well, anyway, when the movie was going to be released, I was totally jazzed, even though the trip had occurred several years before, and even though I was a 14-year-old girl.  I can still remember sitting with Dad in Round Table Pizza, reading the official "Jurassic Park" movie magazine (I still have that magazine), and becoming even MORE jazzed about the movie, which we were about to see.

I LOVED that movie!  I sort of idolized Ellie, and, instead of being scared out of my wits, I was totally excited by both the character development AND the scary action sequences that made the movie famous.  I absolutely LOVED the way that that guy got eaten while he was on the john!  Had there been "Jurassic Park" Barbie dolls and Barbie-scale dinosaurs, they'd have ALL been mine (PLEASE, Mattel, for "JP 4"...)! 

Speaking of the toys, I NEED the Spinosaurus from about 2001 ("JP 3"!)!  I LOVE the Spinosaurus, in general!

I related EVERYTHING to "Jurassic Park" during 1993.  I was supposed to be concentrating on my violin institute work, but I could only think of "Jurassic Park".  I was reading a kids' magazine at the time, and the cartoons kept reminding me of that movie.  I was listening to a piece of violin music that was far too advanced for me, and THAT kept reminding me of that movie. 

At 14, I wasn't thinking in a Feminist way about the sexist, love triangle situation that the movie-makers had placed Ellie in; I could only see that she was pretty, smart, and cool, and that she got to be fought over by two guys, while at the SAME time knowing lots of scientific facts about plants, and such.  Maybe I SHOULD have been going to Science Camp...LOL!

I was also fascinated by the entire Nedry situation!  What suspense for a 14-year-old kid!  Again, I wasn't thinking, as I think today, about how stereotypical it was to force the overweight guy to be the villain, and to put him up against a ton of physically fit people (Blame the Barbie/ Kate Moss ideals of the 1990s?)...and one pot-bellied, elderly dreamer...LOL!  I was fascinated by his odd relationship with Hammond, his sexy decoy computer tricks, and his ultimate demise.

Then there was the John Williams score!  What can I say? I am in LOVE with that score to this very day, fer shurr!

These days, I've been thinking about something REALLY weird!  You know Ellie's kid from "JP 3"?  Well, I'm sorry to say this, and my comment is NO reflection on the child actor's acting abilities, 'cause he was way convincing, but...seriously, doesn't he look like the love child of Ellie and the ghost of Dennis Nedry?  I mean, he's big enough to break Ellie's hip, and, even though I can't remember much about what his father looked like, the baby HAD to have gotten his extreme pudginess from somebody else!  Ellie is so fit and thin that I can't imagine her having delivered a huge baby, and if he was an average-sized baby, well, I can't see Ellie allowing him to pig out on junk food, 'cause she just seems like the health food type.  Did anybody else watch "JP3" and go, "Look at the size of that KID?"  That kid would've been perfect as any other movie couple's kid, but the movie-makers should have hired a more average-sized child to be Ellie's toddler.  It's like they took one look at the first cute male toddler who toddled into the studio with a stage mother in tow, and they said, "Okay.  You'll totally do for Ellie's kid."

Well, anyway, "Jurassic Park" is THE BEST...you bet Jurassic Park it's the best, fer SHURR!
8)

Subject: Re: "Jurassic Park" turns 20!

Written By: Tashlovglit on 07/25/13 at 5:54 pm

It was my favorite movie of 1993  :)  I don't recall how I felt about dinosaurs at the time but I just remember loving the movie.  I saw it at the drive in theater.   

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/13 at 8:34 pm

I loved that movie! AND I still do.

The T-rex is the star of the movie at least for me! It's been 20 years and no T-rex, besides the one in the Jurassic Park series, are as great as Jurassic Park's!

I loved dinosaurs about a year before the film came out and loved dinosaurs even more after! I don't think anyone could have directed the movie as great as Steven Spielberg.

My only complaint is the part where the kid shines the flashlight into the T-rex's face, not very smart! 8)

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/13 at 12:20 pm

IMO Jurassic Park was the culmination of the renewed popualrity of Dinosaurs in the late '80s and early '90s. It is the very first first-run movie I can ever remember seeing, and beforhand as a little child grew up with several dinosaur cartoons, the primetime Dinosaurs, and remember seeing lots of merchandise; my kindergarten teacher even used an LP record that had some educational information set to a song about a particular dinosaur. I remember that Sleepless in Seattle was playing on the theater across from Jurassic Park.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/13 at 3:46 pm

Happy 20th anniversary to Jurassic Park. :)

Written By: Zeb on 07/26/13 at 5:39 pm

It was my favorite movie of 1993  :)  I don't recall how I felt about dinosaurs at the time but I just remember loving the movie.  I saw it at the drive in theater. 
  I saw it in the theater as well that summer and my dad tried to cover my eyes when that dinosaur spit in Wayne Knight's face.

Written By: Skywalker82 on 10/27/13 at 1:31 pm

Happy 20th birthday JP.

I always been into Dinosaurs since i was little and i saw this movie in theaters with my truck driving dad when we went to Disneyland/Universal Hollywood after my 11th birthday and remembered seeing it at Universal theaters, it was like an event movie no doubt unlike i've anything i seen and was a great experience on the big screen.

I saw it 3 more times again in my city of Albuquerque and i had some of the toys, t-shirts, magazine and all that.

Written By: Creeder on 10/29/13 at 1:07 pm

My favorite movie when I was a kid and it still has a very special place in my heart.
Jurassic Park is the ultimate 90s film.

Written By: XYkid on 10/29/13 at 8:02 pm

I loved that film as a kid. Last May, I went to go see it when it was in 3D, and enjoyed the experience all over again. Even 20 years later, that film was still great to see in the cinemas, and it didn't feel dated at all. A true classic.

Written By: Zeb on 01/07/14 at 7:32 pm

I saw that movie once in the theater that summer.  My mom covered my eyes when that venom spitting dinosaur spit in Wayne Knight's face.  I have a very clear recollection of the Jaws-like hype leading up to the film. 

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 05/20/14 at 2:37 pm

Our fairgrounds still has Jerassic Park rental stroller/wagon things. They managed to pretty much stay pristine, too. I want one for my planned 90's room...if I get my fantasy house.

Written By: 1993 on 06/04/14 at 3:38 pm

I remember seeing it in theaters when it first came out and was absolutely captivated by it. There was this scene where I believe the kids are escaping through a door or vent...and the dinosaur comes within a whisker of snapping this girls leg off. It was intense!

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 12/19/14 at 4:29 am

They are making a fourth movie, and it looks like the resort is a sucess. I saw a trailer for it, a guy was riding a dirtbike withraptors.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/14 at 6:55 am

They are making a fourth movie, and it looks like the resort is a success. I saw a trailer for it, a guy was riding a dirtbike withraptors.

When is the due date?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 12/19/14 at 8:21 am

I wasn't too crazy about this one, however my cousin loved it. He had the lunchbox with the T-Rex and van on it. At the time, I was more ecstatic over the Batman Returns VHS than seeing Jurassic Park in Theaters.
For me, the release of Jurassic Park is what truly kicked off the mid 1990s. In the mid 90s, quite a few producers were reflecting on everything that came out of the early 1990s. As a result, we began seeing more adaptions based on books from the very early 90s in that 1993-1996 timespan.

With that said, I'd love to own the novel.

Check for new replies or respond here...