inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's fashion trends you notice looking back?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/29/13 at 1:39 am

What are some 90's fashion trends you started to notice, looking back?

When I watch a lot of movies and tv shows from the 90's, it seems like vests were a big thing back then.

Subject: Re: 90's fashion trends you notice looking back?

Written By: XYkid on 07/29/13 at 2:39 am

Tying your jacket around your waist was huge, and backwards baseball caps. I also remember camo was big in the late 90s into the early 00s.
.I've noticed a lot of 90s trends are coming back in fashion, this makes me happy.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/29/13 at 4:52 pm

I had a lot of stirrup pants in the 90's (I think they were introduced in the late 80's but "took off" in the 90's).  They were great to wear with short boots (a must for Chicago winters).  ;)

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/30/13 at 1:07 am

High-waisted shorts; sleeveless denim shirts (some tied in knots at the belly); laced tops (I hear those were big in the '90s); colorful, flowery, geometric patterns; it's starting to look like Clarissa Darling wouldn't look too out of place if she were to time travel to the present day.

Yeah, people are basically copy-cats these days...

Written By: Jeff on 07/31/13 at 1:00 am

I also remember camo was big in the late 90s into the early 00s.

I would say 1999 was the peak of that.

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/31/13 at 12:20 pm

Bodysuits. I had so many of them in the middle of the '90s, around 1994-95. Even in 1996. I remember on my first day of high school in '94, I wore a bodysuit that had a bunch of designs on it...I don't remember what design it was exactly. It was a white bodysuit and I think it had all these tiny flowers on it....it doesn't sound very cute describing it now, but it did look nice back then and it was the fashion at the time. I wore it with jeans, but in 1994 the jeans had to be sort of baggy...not ridiculously big, but tight at the waist and "baggy" is the only word to describe what it looked like. 

Written By: Amara on 07/31/13 at 6:38 pm

- A lot of long floral dresses/skirts. I distinctly remember my mom owning a ton of these and wearing them to work with tall boots and vests.
- Brown lipstick
- Butterfly clips. I had a lot of these. Especially the ones with glitter and moving wings.
- Those huge Blossom sun hats.
- Overalls
- Scrunches and big hair bows
- Floppy curtained hair like Leo DiCaprio
- Colored lens glasses (a la John Lennon)
- Bandanas
- Choker necklaces
- Colored jeans (mostly in maroon or dark green). My dad had a couple of pairs.
- Frosted tips. I remember my mom helping the brother of my friend achieve this look with just home peroxide.

Anyway these are just some of the things that come to mind when I hear '90s fashion.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/11/13 at 7:28 am

Models and actresses with big straight hair. Almost an old hollywood kind of look.

I also notice actresses wearing shoulder length straight hair with the ends curled up. Like something from the 60's.

Written By: Jason Ross on 09/08/13 at 11:38 pm

and backwards baseball caps.
.I've noticed a lot of 90s trends are coming back in fashion, this makes me happy.

When I was a teen in the mid 90's I always wore my baseball cap backwards.  I also always wore my Swatch watch backwards (so you look at the bottom side of the wrist to check the time).  Loading up on cologne was also cool.  Wearing a plain white T shirt was also the trend, for a while that was all I wore.

Those trends are coming back, every teen I see wears backwards baseball cap (although they wear snap-backs now, we always wore fitted caps).  There's an 18 year old that lives in my apartment building across the hall, he always wears a snap back baseball cap backwards.  He even wears a watch backwards like I used to do (he said his girlfriend thinks it looks cool like that).  And he loads up with cologne (when he walks through the hallway the smell stays for hours), he smokes so I thought he did that to hide the cigarette smell from his parents, but he said the extensive cologne was for fashion. 
My wife says he looks exactly like me when I was a teen.

Written By: Katluver on 09/09/13 at 11:05 am

Bodysuits.

Ugg...I owned several of those and they were a pain because they kept riding up!

-Flannel shirts
-Doc Martens and other heavy footwear
-Birkenstocks (even in the winter with heavy socks)
-Tee shirts under spaghetti-strap dresses
-Butterfly clips---Though the neutral colored ones never went out of style. Still own some.
-Forest green
-Funky colored hair (ie. bright red, green...)
-Pixie cuts
-Shag cuts
-Tight fitting shirts with a heart or star on the front

Written By: XYkid on 09/09/13 at 2:18 pm

-Birkenstocks (even in the winter with heavy socks)
That's always been a thing in Oregon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/13 at 2:38 pm

-Doc Martens and other heavy footwear

Doc Martens were popular in the 1970's long before the 1990's.

Written By: XYkid on 09/09/13 at 9:51 pm

Doc Martens were popular in the 1970's long before the 1990's.
A lot 90s fashion was inspired by the fashion of the 60s/70s.

Written By: Jason Ross on 09/16/13 at 10:03 pm

I also always wore my Swatch watch backwards (so you look at the bottom side of the wrist to check the time).

I was looking at some old family photos from when I was 16 (in 1992) through 20 (1996) and in every picture I was wearing my Swatch that way.  I seem to remember that was the way a lot of cool kids wore it, I guess I feel into that group.
Last week I was (actually my wife was) watching an old episode of Beverly Hills 90210 from 1990 on the Soap channel, and I noticed one of the girls was wearing her watch that way, it wasn't a Swatch though.  The next episode after that she also had her watch that way and it was a Swatch.  I wonder if that was what started the trend to wear a Swatch that way. 

Written By: Starde on 10/03/13 at 11:43 am

A few weeks ago, I saw a girl wearing overalls. The last time I remember wearing overalls was in 2000.

Written By: XYkid on 10/03/13 at 12:37 pm

A few weeks ago, I saw a girl wearing overalls. The last time I remember wearing overalls was in 2000.
I had a pair of overalls when I was little. I was so sad to grow out of them. I remember one day in Grade 2 I wanted to dress up as Mario and I couldn't find my overalls. Mum told me they didn't fit anymore and I cried so much.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 10/04/13 at 5:08 pm

I saw some Full House episodes, and it really showed how much mullets were a part of the culture in the first half of the 90s.  They weren't as long, but they were still mullets.  Also, women tended to wear their hair very straight.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/17/13 at 1:40 pm

Girls with slightly teased bangs.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/17/13 at 9:37 pm

It seemed around 1997-99 a lot of women cut their hair really short.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/20/13 at 6:31 pm

The "Grunge" look where you look like a hobo in hundred dollar jeans:

http://www.forever21.com/images/default_750/59208317-03.jpg
This makes me want to scream bloody "effing" murder. This is why I don't wear plaid now. I own ONE plaid shirt. It makes no sense to me how a woman will roll out of bed, take time to do her hair and make up and then put that tragedy on. Sure, if I was helping Daddy change a transmission or put on a new fan belt, sure, but to go out and be in PUBLIC, no....

Written By: Katluver on 10/21/13 at 7:34 pm

Up here, we started a little earlier with that trend. I remember seeing people around my school and on the streets with pixie cuts from 1994-1997, which included myself.  Don't think I'll ever go that short again...

Written By: XYkid on 10/21/13 at 7:44 pm

I've been watching a lot of reruns of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and noticed how in the first two seasons (made in '96 and '97) she had her hair longer...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SKyNv89uL.jpg

but in season 3 (1998) her hair suddenly became shorter...
http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/q-s/sabrina3-cov.jpg

I've noticed the latter was quite a common hair style among young women during the mid-to-late 90s. Here's another example from '95...
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/28304355/In+Your+Arms+emjayoe6.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/21/13 at 9:04 pm

I never understood why Sabrina's hair was long to start with. The comic book character has short hair.

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/a18/a1813197-6ba6-4e81-b936-10a7bfcaa21f.jpg
Original Sabrina in the 1970s.

After the TV series with Melissa Joan Hart took off, she looked like this in the 1990's:
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/sabrina-special.jpg

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/21/13 at 10:49 pm

One example that sticks out to me is Laurie Metcalf, who played Jackie on Roseanne, cut her hair really short for the last season in 1997, as well as Scream 2 which came out the same year.

I also saw an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Debra had really short hair and I believe it was from 1997 as well.

Even my own mother had really short hair for a brief time in the late '90s...only time I remember her having short hair!

Written By: 1993 on 10/23/13 at 8:14 am

Choker necklaces were also popular. This might be the same one that she's wearing on the season 3 DVD

http://www.squigley.net/melissajoanhart.cx/pictures/MJH1.jpg

the tinted John Lennon glasses were big too

http://fora.mtv.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/119.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/23/13 at 11:12 am

I am guilty of the choker offense. I don't know what I was thinking. I had a double chin as an adolescent and it looked like wiring stuck through biscuit dough on me!  :o

Written By: XYkid on 10/23/13 at 2:47 pm

Those chokers are coming back in style, I've seen lots of teen girls wearing them.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/31/13 at 4:46 pm

Shirt tucked into high waisted denim jeans with a belt.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/31/13 at 5:45 pm

Shirt tucked into high waisted denim jeans with a belt.

http://fashionista.com/uploads/2013/04/Screen-shot-2013-04-24-at-3.48.10-PM_edited-1-300x386.jpgMom jeans.  :o Shoot me.
I don't need high rise to my chin, I don't need low rise to where I require a "haircut". Just let them rest at my natural waist and I'm happy.

Written By: Katluver on 10/31/13 at 6:09 pm

I've noticed the latter was quite a common hair style among young women during the mid-to-late 90s. Here's another example from '95...

I forgot that I used to love listening to her music! Always thought her stage name was spelled as "MJ" (like that green stuff  :D )

Written By: XYkid on 10/31/13 at 6:51 pm

I forgot that I used to love listening to her music! Always thought her stage name was spelled as "MJ" (like that green stuff  :D )
Me too! I remember my mum would get her mixed up with Michael Jackson for that same reason.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/13 at 3:58 pm

http://fashionista.com/uploads/2013/04/Screen-shot-2013-04-24-at-3.48.10-PM_edited-1-300x386.jpgMom jeans.  :o Shoot me.
I don't need high rise to my chin, I don't need low rise to where I require a "haircut". Just let them rest at my natural waist and I'm happy.

How come "mom jeans" never had a belt? ???

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/01/13 at 4:26 pm

How come "mom jeans" never had a belt? ???

They were so tight they didn't need one!

Written By: Howard on 11/01/13 at 4:51 pm

They were so tight they didn't need one!

just like Jordache Jeans.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/05/13 at 2:43 am

Jackets like this
http://35f0jq1fcotly82b3o727xi0.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/90s-Jacket-10.jpg

Floral prints like this
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1tPjdWSgjeA/T79G4EXxb1I/AAAAAAAABpY/r3n5ZwpD-y4/s1600/063.JPG

Hats with flowers

http://img0.etsystatic.com/012/0/6252995/il_570xN.455805878_b58n.jpg

The Rachel

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2011/01/the-rachel-jennifer-aniston.jpg

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/22/13 at 11:29 pm

Mushroom/bowlcuts.

Undercut longish grunge rocker hair.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/23/13 at 11:24 am

My first grade school picture has me in a hot pink and electric blue windbreaker, my mother and I had matching Laura Ashley knockoff dresses for church, and I loved Blossom, so I wore the damn hat, in RED.

Never watched Friends, so I didn't know who Rachel was.

Written By: aja675 on 11/28/13 at 4:18 am

I also know that song.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/28/13 at 1:39 pm

I spent the majority of my teenage life in the 90s so I remember it quite well.

-As mentioned girls tucking in their shirts into high pants with a belt (mid to late 90s. pants weren't always high though)
-"Punky kids" wearing humongous baggy pants that would have a stripe going down the sides
-Saggin of pants with boxers showing out the top (started in the mid 90s)
-Sports team coats (more early to mid 90s)
-Sports brand winter coats (Starter, Adidas, etc.)
-Tommy Hilfiger clothing (Huge in the mid 90s, but almost a dead fad as soon as the late 90s)
-T-shirts with music groups on them
-LA Gear and Reebok pumps shoes (pretty much only the early 90s)
-Small sunglasses
-The mid to late 90s it was never ever considered cool to wear tight/semi tight jeans if you were a guy
-Big jean shorts
-Cargo pants and shorts (shorts still popular)
-Slap bracelets
-Watches in general
-Friendship necklaces (you would wear one half and your best friend would wear the other)
-Arrowhead necklaces
-Tank tops
-For a short while rolling up one leg of your pants just below the knee (stupid)
-Turtle necks (early 90s)
-Stone washed jeans (mainly early 90s)
-Billabong shirts with flower designs on them (late 90s)

tommy was huge in 1998 as well tho

Written By: XYkid on 12/02/13 at 9:02 pm

-As mentioned girls tucking in their shirts into high pants with a belt (mid to late 90s. pants weren't always high though)
-"Punky kids" wearing humongous baggy pants that would have a stripe going down the sides
-Tommy Hilfiger clothing (Huge in the mid 90s, but almost a dead fad as soon as the late 90s)
-Small sunglasses
-The mid to late 90s it was never ever considered cool to wear tight/semi tight jeans if you were a guy
-Big jean shorts
-Slap bracelets
-Watches in general
-Friendship necklaces (you would wear one half and your best friend would wear the other)
-Arrowhead necklaces
-Tank tops
-For a short while rolling up one leg of your pants just below the knee (stupid)
I remember those in bold being popular in Oregon during the late 90s.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/05/14 at 6:31 am

I've seen a few late 90's movies in which women were still wearing high cut underwear and bikinis. Very surprising to me.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/06/14 at 1:19 am

-Small sunglasses
-Big jean shorts
-Slap bracelets
-Watches in general
-Arrowhead necklaces
-Tank tops

Tommy Hilfiger was still popular in the late 90's where I live in my jr. high years. Abercrombie, Aeropostale, and American Eagle were replacing it though.

T-shirts with bands on them ran throughout the 2000's and even now it's pretty common. I don't think that's something that's particular to just one era.

The Hawaiian flower design was on alot of things other than shirts. I owned a pair of capris with some down the legs in a stripe.

Cargo pants also came in two or three sections that had zippers around the circumfrence of the legs and you could remove the sections depending on how short you wanted your pants.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:27 am

Mushroom/bowlcuts.

Undercut longish grunge rocker hair.

Bowlcuts are interesting since they spanned the whole decade. I think they may have even started in the late 80s actually but i could be mistaken. :)

Written By: Catherine91UK on 10/06/14 at 3:06 pm

'Bum bags' in the UK - I think they're called fanny packs in America.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 3:11 pm

'Bum bags' in the UK - I think they're called fanny packs in America.

Yes, they were popular here. Good riddance! Lol  :P ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/07/14 at 6:35 am

Yes, they were popular here. Good riddance! Lol  :P ;D

Tackiest thing ever!

Written By: Howard on 10/07/14 at 1:14 pm

Tackiest thing ever!

What? fanny packs? Why don't you like it?  ???

Written By: XYkid on 10/07/14 at 5:08 pm

Parted/curtained hair for guys was very popular, even I had this style as a kid. I honestly don't know how any guy thought that was a good idea for a hair cut.
Also guys having spiked hair, bonus points if it had frosted tips. I also had this style, and thanks to having naturally blond hair I didn't need to 'frost' it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/07/14 at 10:11 pm

What? fanny packs? Why don't you like it?  ???

Because they're dumb! If you're a woman, carry a purse. Or put stuff in your pockets. If you're a guy, only put stuff in your pockets. You won't look ridiculous.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 6:47 am

Because they're dumb! If you're a woman, carry a purse. Or put stuff in your pockets. If you're a guy, only put stuff in your pockets. You won't look ridiculous.

It's for the person who just don't want to use their pants pockets.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/29/14 at 6:44 pm

I saw some Full House episodes, and it really showed how much mullets were a part of the culture in the first half of the 90s.  They weren't as long, but they were still mullets.  Also, women tended to wear their hair very straight.

In the late 80s and early 90s, women went for the guys with the biggest and longest hair. The mullets definitely got shorter from year to year. Some guys sported hi top fades with mullets/rattails/rabbit tails.

Some of my classmates tight-rolled their jeans, t-shirt sleeves, and tucked in their shirts. Things were like that until sometime  in late '92/early '93.

Most of young women who wore their hair straight wanted to look like Danica McKellar in The Wonder Years.

Here's what I remember:

-Orange and Purple tops (early 90s)
-College Football Team Sweatshirts
-Overalls with one strap or both straps down
-Timberland boots/Doc Martens
-High Top Sneakers
-Starter Gear
-Baja Sweaters (Thanks a lot, Luke Perry)
-Anything by Z. Cavaricci (Name Brand clothing in general, i.e. Stussy, Guess and Nike)
-Shirt Clips
-Biker Shorts

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/02/14 at 7:41 pm

It's for the person who just don't want to use their pants pockets.

But it still looks dumb! Plus they get in the way.

In the late 80s and early 90s, women went for the guys with the biggest and longest hair. The mullets definitely got shorter from year to year. Some guys sported hi top fades with mullets/rattails/rabbit tails.

Some of my classmates tight-rolled their jeans, t-shirt sleeves, and tucked in their shirts. Things were like that until sometime  in late '92/early '93.

Most of young women who wore their hair straight wanted to look like Danica McKellar in The Wonder Years.

Here's what I remember:

-Orange and Purple tops (early 90s)
-College Football Team Sweatshirts
-Overalls with one strap or both straps down
-Timberland boots/Doc Martens
-High Top Sneakers
-Starter Gear
-Baja Sweaters (Thanks a lot, Luke Perry)
-Anything by Z. Cavaricci (Name Brand clothing in general, i.e. Stussy, Guess and Nike)
-Shirt Clips
-Biker Shorts

I vaguely remember rat tail mullets on kids in the earliest days of grade school. Starter jackets were expensive and a big deal. Even if it wasn't Starter girls and boys both wore sports team winter coats. Biker shorts with oversized t-shirts was a thing I saw on some of the older girls in grade school. In jr. high in the late 90's that wouldn't have been allowed. They sometimes did tie their t-shirt at the side.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 1:02 pm

1995-1998 Fashion Trends that I can see from TV shows such as "Sabrina" and "Buffy".

Women:
High-waisted Miniskirts and Minidresses (mid-1960s Mod style, slit optional)
Knee-High Go-go Boots (Obligatory square toe, thick low heel, about 2.5-3.5 inches)
Blended highlights in their hair
High-waisted straight leg pants (stretch pants and dress pants, not jeans)
Tight Tops with or without a chest stripe
Lugz Heels
Tame colors (gold, silver, black, white, gray, lavender, maroon, light blue, pastel green, light pink, lemon yellow, etc.)
Pantyhose of an obvious color
Simple, small earrings
Block-Heel Shoes with a how heel
Animal prints
Frosted makeup and a small amount of lipstick or lipgloss
Crop tops (of course, but they were not as common as people like to think)

Men:
Velvet Blazers (the 1960s Mod look was very in during this period)
Square-Toed Shoes (loafers, dress shoes, boots)
Natural-waist Straight Leg Pants (not tight, but not loose either)
Ribbed Turtlenecks
Leather Jackets and Coats
Lug-soled shoes (basically thick soles with a lot of traction at the bottom)
Silk club button-downs (often with some kind of tacky 3D print in a rather loud color. Yes these were popular, I know a website that sells these things.)
Tame colors (gold, silver, black, white, gray, lavender, maroon, light blue, pastel green, light pink, lemon yellow, etc.)
Basketball Shoes
Polos and Half-zip pullovers with a chest stripe
Shorter hair (crew cut, caesar cut, often times in an updo and sometimes dyed a lighter color)
Pants that aren't jeans (chinos, dress trousers, corduroy pants, cargo pants, and golf trousers)
Choker necklaces (ones that hung at the very bottom of the neck, not at the middle)

I love these fashion trends. This was a very beautiful time for fashion, and it was my favorite period of time for music. These are very classy and stylish, pretty much club clothing. I have relatives who remember and actually lived this time period and they have confirmed this is what people really wore in the mid 1990s. Unfortunately, none of this stuff is back in style yet. However, fashion goes in 20 year cycles. These clothes became fashionable around late 1995 (the fall-winter season of fashion). So it is very likely, and makes sense, that these styles will come back in late 2015, but they will look different. Considering the athleisure trend, they will probably be more athletic with newer "technologies" added in (dress shoes that you could run in? Go-go boots with rubber and foam soles?). The clothes will more likely than not be less "dressy" and more "sporty". However, we will have to wait until February to find out. This will be when the designers showcase the Autumn-Winter 2015 collections and by October stores will be manufacturing and selling clothes of the style and look.

Even if it doesn't come in to style I'm going to start shopping for my Mid '90s Dance Club look and buy as similar clothing as I can. I will start in April and go by a schedule (I need to save money, I'm not going to buy it all at once!). It will take me some months, but I know I can do it and I will look awesome!  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/09/15 at 1:55 pm

I vaguely remember rat tail mullets on kids in the earliest days of grade school.

I sported the rat tail 25 years ago, that's when I had MORE hair!

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 3:18 pm

Sarah Michelle Gellar in 1996. Look at how cute she is!!

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/3/32/S1a4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130302022703

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/5/5e/S1b4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130305175833

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/2/2c/S1i3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130305182346

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/0/0a/S1j4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130305182530

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/5/55/Buffy_vs_moloch_i_robot%2C_you_jane_still.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131023072746

It's a shame they are a little blurry, but I love them. For better quality, go to the buffy wiki and look for Buffy Summers's gallery. She was so cute. Watching Buffy season 1 made me develop a huge crush on her. Watching the show made me realize that these are the kind of girls I like (on a romantic basis). Of course there will never be a girl just like her in every single way, but pretty close. I tend to be very picky about the girls I like, which is a little shallow, but it is only on a romantic basis. I will be friends with you, but I'm not going to be your boyfriend either.

Buffy also proves that girls can wear stylish, revealing clothing and not look trashy, cheap, or even sexy. Girls can be cute and look completely normal and innocent. She doesn't give off any sexual vibes at all. However, most girls wouldn't do it right, hence why it's best to leave it alone if you can't score a perfect achievement.

The Gallery:
http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Buffy_Summers/Gallery

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/22/15 at 12:10 pm

Long haired badass dudes wearing a ponytail:

Highlander tv series, 1992
http://www.assignmentx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HIGHLANDER-THE-TV-SERIES-Adrian-Paul.jpg

Pulp Fiction, 1994
https://cynicritics.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/travoltathurman.jpg

Desperado, 1995
http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040805/162615__desperado_l.jpg

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/23/15 at 1:11 am

Long haired badass dudes wearing a ponytail:

Highlander tv series, 1992
http://www.assignmentx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HIGHLANDER-THE-TV-SERIES-Adrian-Paul.jpg

Pulp Fiction, 1994
https://cynicritics.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/travoltathurman.jpg

Desperado, 1995
http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040805/162615__desperado_l.jpg

How can you be a 90s Guy and not bring up Segal?  He was the King of 90s long haired badass dudes wearing a ponytail. Apparently, the guy is hard to kill…

https://braveblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/hard-to-kill.jpg

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/23/15 at 5:44 am

What are some 90's fashion trends you started to notice, looking back?

When I watch a lot of movies and tv shows from the 90's, it seems like vests were a big thing back then.

Vests?  Hadn't noticed that.

What I remember was that the first half of the 90s were an awful lot like the the second half of the 80s.

The biggest change I noticed was that men's shorts became much longer in the 90s.  In 1986, shorts for young men were tight fitting and cut just below the crotch.  Some time around 1987/88/89, they started to get longer.  By 1993, they were knee length or often even below the knee.  It seemed ridiculous to even call them shorts!  They also became baggier.  By stark contrast, women's shorts remained extremely short and tight fitting.

By the second half of the 1990s, I was seeing a lot of young males with sagging pants and the boxer underwear showing.

The female equivalent was the visible bra strap.

Grunge was never a very big thing in Hawaii.  I saw far more plaid and flannel in the Midwest during the 80s than in Hawaii during the 90s.  Whenever I saw grunge clothing and hairstyles in the media, I used to think, "Hey, the rest of the country looks like Minnesota college students now!"

On the other hand, I did see a lot more hip-hop fashion, especially in the second half of the 90s.

Men's hair was very short, especially during the mid and late 90s.  The short spiky gelled look seemed to be in.

Women started to have tattoos.

Both genders got more body piercings: tongues, navels, nipples.

I noticed the backwards baseball cap thing as well.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/15 at 6:46 am

By the second half of the 1990s, I was seeing a lot of young males with sagging pants and the boxer underwear showing.

and this trend is still continuing. ::)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/26/15 at 6:04 pm

I've seen quite a few guys wearing tribal surf t-shirts in this time. Everyone I know had at least one in 1991.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/15 at 1:10 am

Mule shoes, wedge heels, clogs, Loafers

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/03/15 at 12:38 am

I've got some pictures of groups of girls together from a website. I found this about a month and a half ago just looking up "1997 high school" and I ran across this!

1996:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1996.jpg

1997:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1997.jpg

1998:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1998.jpg

1999:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1999.jpg

2000:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_2000.jpg

I really like the 1997 one! In the east and west, those clothes had become fashionable in 1995, so that was the year that fashion started to get better!
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/171386/Fashions-Year-In-Review-1995

The pictures were taken in Louisiana; the south was always about two years behind on fashion trends (three years in the midwest) until the early 2010s when the south started to catch up due to the rise in fast fashion and the influence of the internet. If you scroll down to the very bottom, the 2013 picture is the last one. I can confirm that by 2013, the south had officially caught up with the east and west. I don't know about the midwest, but I bet some people are "current" there.

Here is the page: http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girls_state_archives.htm

This is why I love '90s fashion. So flattering. I literally go "Wow!" every time I look at clothing from the mid-late '90s. I can't wait for those clothes to come back into style again. I also have access to Uomo Classico, a website that features pictures of advertisements from different brands throughout the years. It's a men's fashion website. I'll show you!

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/03/15 at 12:58 am

I've got some pictures of groups of girls together from a website. I found this about a month and a half ago just looking up "1997 high school" and I ran across this!

1996:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1996.jpg

1997:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1997.jpg

1998:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1998.jpg

1999:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_1999.jpg

2000:
http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girlsstate_2000.jpg

I really like the 1997 one! In the east and west, those clothes had become fashionable in 1995, so that was the year that fashion started to get better!
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/171386/Fashions-Year-In-Review-1995

The pictures were taken in Louisiana; the south was always about two years behind on fashion trends (three years in the midwest) until the early 2010s when the south started to catch up due to the rise in fast fashion and the influence of the internet. If you scroll down to the very bottom, the 2013 picture is the last one. I can confirm that by 2013, the south had officially caught up with the east and west. I don't know about the midwest, but I bet some people are "current" there.

Here is the page: http://americanlegionauxiliaryunit16covingtonla.com/girls_state_archives.htm

This is why I love '90s fashion. So flattering. I literally go "Wow!" every time I look at clothing from the mid-late '90s. I can't wait for those clothes to come back into style again. I also have access to Uomo Classico, a website that features pictures of advertisements from different brands throughout the years. It's a men's fashion website. I'll show you!

I see a look that goes from more dressed up and "ladylike" to more casual with each picture.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/04/15 at 12:30 pm

My own family, 1991 vs. 1999

August 1991
http://s4.postimg.org/qfeft4q65/my_family_August_1991.jpg

August 1999
http://s29.postimg.org/pf9fphjh3/August_1999_1.jpg

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/06/15 at 9:58 pm

My own family, 1991 vs. 1999

August 1991
http://s4.postimg.org/qfeft4q65/my_family_August_1991.jpg

August 1999
http://s29.postimg.org/pf9fphjh3/August_1999_1.jpg

THE USE YOUR OWN ILLUSION 2 SHIRT!!!!

You Could Be Mine

CzB5hFINC_k  :D

Getting back on topic, steel plated hats (Rhythm Nation 1814 hats) are back on the market.

https://hunkereddowninbrooklyn.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jj_rn_1814.jpg

The new ones are nowhere near as cool as the ones from the early 1990s. Feast your eyes on this one from '91 or '92:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/208846781/rare-vintage-1991-naughty-by-nature-opp

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 10:23 am

Here is a super '90s outfit from 1997!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xNo1CSwmArU/VByA2OKDXeI/AAAAAAAAG5w/xqM7XQUNYFg/s1600/90s01.jpg

I love this outfit! I want it to come back into style! The wearer knew it was "totally '90s" even back then! The brand "26 Red Sugar"

Here is where I got it from:

http://snapped-garters.blogspot.com/2014/09/my-outfit-from-1997.html?m=1

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 12:39 pm

Here is a super '90s outfit from 1997!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xNo1CSwmArU/VByA2OKDXeI/AAAAAAAAG5w/xqM7XQUNYFg/s1600/90s01.jpg

I love this outfit! I want it to come back into style! The wearer knew it was "totally '90s" even back then! The brand "26 Red Sugar"

Here is where I got it from:

http://snapped-garters.blogspot.com/2014/09/my-outfit-from-1997.html?m=1

That's a super '90s outfit? It looks like something from out of the 1970s. I understand the 70s revival was going strong around 1998, but it just doesn't say '90s to me for some reason.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 2:34 pm

That's a super '90s outfit? It looks like something from out of the 1970s. I understand the 70s revival was going strong around 1998, but it just doesn't say '90s to me for some reason.

1998? This outfit is from 1997. The woman in the blog clearly states so. Did you read it? She says she knew it was 90s-does-70s. If you look at the blog you'll see a picture of the logo. Here it is:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FCxjdU6j45o/VByCOY1CicI/AAAAAAAAG6Q/qe-KNowwD38/s1600/90s05.jpg

This logo is extremely '90s. It literally was a '70s outfit made in the '90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 4:07 pm

1998? This outfit is from 1997. The woman in the blog clearly states so. Did you read it? She says she knew it was 90s-does-70s. If you look at the blog you'll see a picture of the logo. Here it is:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FCxjdU6j45o/VByCOY1CicI/AAAAAAAAG6Q/qe-KNowwD38/s1600/90s05.jpg

This logo is extremely '90s. It literally was a '70s outfit made in the '90s.

I was thinking of That 70s Show (started in 1998) when I said that. I knew the outfit was from 1997. It looks very late 90s. That's where I was coming from.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/08/15 at 7:57 pm

The 90s made me miserable. Like I have a visceral reaction thinking of the decade. I stared school in 1990, so basically it was still 80s fashion happening in Podunk, Texas. I was frilly, neon and cute. Then 1992, Nirvana ruined everything with grunge and the rest of the decade as I remember it was a mix of plaid, tie-dye, licensed cartoon characters, and 70s clothing. I was born in 1986, but I remember wearing butterfly collar shirts, bellbottoms, chunky platform loafers to middle school. I had friends with the chokers, and JNCO jeans, the platform sneakers. We all looked really...like hell.

And don't get me started on the dark makeup that none of us could apply properly I literally spent the bulk of the 90s wondering what I had done in a past life, to have not been coming of age in the 80s. I'm 28 and if I could take that time machine back to then, I so would and would live each day dressed like a Miami Vice extra. I hate the 90s when I look back. I HATE it.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/08/15 at 9:26 pm

The 90s made me miserable. Like I have a visceral reaction thinking of the decade. I stared school in 1990, so basically it was still 80s fashion happening in Podunk, Texas. I was frilly, neon and cute. Then 1992, Nirvana ruined everything with grunge and the rest of the decade as I remember it was a mix of plaid, tie-dye, licensed cartoon characters, and 70s clothing. I was born in 1986, but I remember wearing butterfly collar shirts, bellbottoms, chunky platform loafers to middle school. I had friends with the chokers, and JNCO jeans, the platform sneakers. We all looked really...like hell.

And don't get me started on the dark makeup that none of us could apply properly I literally spent the bulk of the 90s wondering what I had done in a past life, to have not been coming of age in the 80s. I'm 28 and if I could take that time machine back to then, I so would and would live each day dressed like a Miami Vice extra. I hate the 90s when I look back. I HATE it.

You may have grew up in the '90s, but they weren't "Your Decade". The 2000s were. I'm guessing you enjoyed the '80s revival of the '00s? My sister, who was born in late '85, enjoys '80s music too. As a matter of fact, a lot of people born in the '80s like '80s pop culture. People tend to be mystified by the decade in which they were born in, hence becoming obsessed with them. They also tend to have a dislike for the decade in which they grew up in. Your distaste for the '90s mirrors mine for the 2000s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 9:58 pm

JNCOs and carpenter jeans were in for boys and flatter NO ONE! I remember the plastic butterfly hair clips, tattoo chokers and bracelets made of plastic, and clogs. BUM Equipment t-shirts were still sold at Target too, but if you were cool you got clothes from the mall.  ::) Athletic clothing was also in and so plenty of people wore tear away track pants. Bonus if they were Adidas or Adidas looking. That was jr. high for you.

In early elementary school I remember those fugly stretch pants with stirrups that slid off your feet and out of your shoes constantly. You wore them with oversized t-shirts, preferrably with the bottom gathered up and held in a ponytail holder.  :o

You may have grew up in the '90s, but they weren't "Your Decade". The 2000s were. I'm guessing you enjoyed the '80s revival of the '00s? My sister, who was born in late '85, enjoys '80s music too. As a matter of fact, a lot of people born in the '80s like '80s pop culture. People tend to be mystified by the decade in which they were born in, hence becoming obsessed with them. They also tend to have a dislike for the decade in which they grew up in. Your distaste for the '90s mirrors mine for the 2000s.

I liked 80s music because it was fun to listen to, but I also liked current. For 80s babies the 90s was their CHILDHOOD decade and the 2000s was their coming of age years. There are totally different things marketed to those two age groups.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/08/15 at 10:44 pm

I did wear those stupid butterfly clips. I had friend that had the twists/braids and clips:
http://images.beautyriot.com/photos/galleries/90s-fashion-06.jpg
Something like that, and had hell taking the clips out because all the hairspray like froze the springs in the clips.

And yeah, my interest was more in the 80s then, and pretty much still is now. I just really liked the variety of styles there seemed to be in the 80s. In the 90s you just didn't seem to have that as much. I mean towards the end of the decade, I was into SWING dancing, just to get away and wear the more 50s inspired clothing because I was stifling with futuristic rave sheesh at the end of the decade.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 11:42 pm

I did wear those stupid butterfly clips. I had friend that had the twists/braids and clips:
Something like that, and had hell taking the clips out because all the hairspray like froze the springs in the clips.

And yeah, my interest was more in the 80s then, and pretty much still is now. I just really liked the variety of styles there seemed to be in the 80s. In the 90s you just didn't seem to have that as much. I mean towards the end of the decade, I was into SWING dancing, just to get away and wear the more 50s inspired clothing because I was stifling with futuristic rave sheesh at the end of the decade.

I never knew how to get the twisted hair right, and just wore the clip to tie my hair back half up half down. They were fine for younger girls, but not so much teenagers if you think about it. I never did swing dancing, but I know a place that has it during the summer and have never gone...nor know anyone who would.  :(

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/09/15 at 2:03 am

The spring of 1992 was the last time humanity was in the early 1990s really. The summer of '92 was a mixed bag and the fall was the unofficial start to the mid 1990s. As much as I dislike grunge, you have to admit 1992 was an exciting time to be a grunge fan. People were starting to hit the thrift stores, Singles was in theaters and Kurt Cobain was getting a lot of publicity. 1992 was one of the fastest leap years I ever lived in.

'92 is also the year that really springs to mind when people call the 90s an urban decade. Rap fans were wearing Champion sweaters, African American college sweaters, backwards hats, Polo Sport clothing, Walker Wear, Hyp hats, Cross Colors (of course), Carhartt, Karl Kani and Timberland boots. You could really see a transition happening, rap music fans were moving away from the leather African medallions and political rap to hardcore rap.

There was way more plaid in the actual mid 90s period than there was in 1992. Artist were wearing plaid on almost every album cover in 1994. All of the stores got in on the flannel craze way too late. The name brands everyone wore then (minus Big Johnson, Yaga and Red Eraser) seemed fitting for that time. Everything was extreme in those days. No Fear clothing! On the plus side, the tie-dye shirts, Nautica and Tommy Hilfiger gear seemed to clash with the depressingly dark shirts and flannel in 1994 and '95.

Americans really went overboard with all of the licensed cartoon characters in the 90s, but there were some unforgettable ones. I always loved the "Don't Have a Cow" Bart Simpson shirts from 1990. South Park shirts were far more controversial, especially the "Cartoons Kick @$$" Cartman tee. I found the Kris Kross Bugs and Taz shirt of 1993 to be the most hilarious out of them all. I'm surprised no one thought to make a T-shirt with Bugs as Snoop Dogg and Taz as Dr. Dre in 1994. What a missed opportunity!

You're right, Apollonia1986, the real 90s were nothing to write home about. I got bored with the Clinton 90s rather quickly and started to become nostalgic for the parts of the 80s I remembered. It seemed like mid 90s were never going to end while I was living in them. The mid 1990s were definitely the most defining years of the 1990s. Models Inc., anyone?

Written By: Howard on 03/09/15 at 2:52 pm

Maybe instead of hairspray you could've substituted it for gel?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/09/15 at 11:52 pm

Early90sGuy mentioned all the Afro-Centric things. I completely forgot about that.
When I was very small, before I even knew what Africa WAS, I remember my cousins and I all had these shirts in red, green, black and yellow with the continent on it and "I'm Black and I'm Proud" written on it. My mom kept me in that until It was so small it catapulted off when she tried to put it on.

Frankly, the only highlights for me from the decade was the Nicktoons,the Black sitcoms like Martin, In Living Color and Steve Harvey, and being brought to the skinny man.  ;D Oh yeah, and Aaliyah coming out. I liked Aaliyah too near the end of the decade.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/15 at 2:38 pm

Here's some warm weather clothing from the '90s.

Spring Break 1996:
http://homebye11.tripod.com/0d90f6b0.jpg

Spring Break 1996 Bathing Suit Edition:
http://d3amigos.tripod.com/sprngbrkpicAprl1996.jpg

Spring Break 1997:
http://www.csus.edu/org/sigma/ver2/images/spespring2.jpg

Spring Break 1997 Bathing Suit Edition:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KneAkzhvDJI/T5TKMt55EcI/AAAAAAAAI5s/Q2MtZJGZkS8/s1600/sc003bff76.jpg

Spring Break 1998:
http://www.csus.edu/org/sigma/ver2/images/spbrk98-2.jpg

Spring Break 1999:
http://research.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/srdesign/1998/funcmri/ocean-club.jpg

Written By: winteriscoming on 04/14/15 at 8:47 am

Interesting. The bikinis are a bit bigger than typical of today, though the body suits/one pieces were clearly out of style by then. The last hurrah of those was probably the early 90s, maybe even 1994-95 a little bit.

Check for new replies or respond here...