inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1994

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/30/13 at 10:21 am

Any memories of 1994 here? I think it was an amazing year.

Subject: Re: 1994

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/30/13 at 10:39 am

1994 is the earliest year I have memories from that are 'yesterday-like'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/13 at 10:43 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/35/Four_weddings_poster.jpg/220px-Four_weddings_poster.jpg

One of my favourite films was released in 1994.

Written By: 1993 on 07/30/13 at 11:16 am

remember it quite well. OJ trial really ushered in the era of 24 hour BREAKING NEWS.

I saw Forrest Gump with my dad that summer, who wanted me to learn some history from the film. I remember having a real nice discussion with him afterwards about the events that were portrayed

A lot of the late 80's early 90's innocence had faded at this point as we'd been through the riots, gangster rap (which I hated) the angsty grunge era, and now we were into the OJ trial. Also Seinfeld, Friends, and The Simpsons pretty much ruled the airwaves and they were considered very edgy shows in 1994.

1994 was a very rough around the edges type year.

Written By: warped on 07/30/13 at 11:17 am

Baseball season:

http://oalaska.org/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cancelled.jpg

Oh yeah, and this:

http://www.autoloandaily.com/images/stories/oj%20white%20bronco.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/13 at 11:19 am

Oh yeah, and this:

That was even shown on live TV (on the news) over here.

Written By: 1993 on 07/30/13 at 1:10 pm

And it took baseball a good 3 years to recover from that strike...they juiced the baseballs, built small bandbox stadiums, and turned a blind eye to steroid abuse to get fans interested again

Written By: Jeff on 07/30/13 at 1:25 pm

You were only 8 in 1994, and 19 years feels 'yesterday-like' to you? Wow.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/30/13 at 5:32 pm

You were only 8 in 1994, and 19 years feels 'yesterday-like' to you? Wow.

Old enough to have 'yesterday-like" memories - not many, but I have some.

Written By: joeman on 07/30/13 at 6:59 pm

remember it quite well. OJ trial really ushered in the era of 24 hour BREAKING NEWS.

I saw Forrest Gump with my dad that summer, who wanted me to learn some history from the film. I remember having a real nice discussion with him afterwards about the events that were portrayed

A lot of the late 80's early 90's innocence had faded at this point as we'd been through the riots, gangster rap (which I hated) the angsty grunge era, and now we were into the OJ trial. Also Seinfeld, Friends, and The Simpsons pretty much ruled the airwaves and they were considered very edgy shows in 1994.

Agreed.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/13 at 7:34 pm

I loved 1994, I got into Power Rangers even though it actually came out a year before! ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/13 at 7:36 pm

I love 1994, 1995. And 1996-1999. Actually I only liked the first half of 1999.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 7:39 pm

Baseball season:

http://oalaska.org/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cancelled.jpg

Oh yeah, and this:

and a lot of police were trying to chase OJ.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 7:40 pm

Also Seinfeld, Friends, and The Simpsons pretty much ruled the airwaves and they were considered very edgy shows in 1994.

I still watch them in reruns.

Written By: XYkid on 07/30/13 at 9:08 pm

The year I was born! I was born a month before Kurt's death. :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/05/13 at 11:07 pm

I was 17 years old
In my final year of highschool
Grunge had died after Kurt Cobain died
New Kids On The Block had gone kaputski

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/06/13 at 7:43 am

To me, all of these "grunge died" after Corbain's death are false, in the similar vein that Hair Metal died after Nirvana came on the scene, or when Disco Demolition Night occured. Soundgarden had its biggest album and hit that year, Pearl Jam was still going strong, and others were still making an impact before it devolved into post-Grunge over the course of the later part of '94 into 1995-96. I remember VR Troopers, that Power Rangers knockoff that I never knew was based on Metal Heroes until recently (and VR in general is making a comeback as of late). I was also taking Tang Soo Do-style Karate that year. It was also the last year in which I never understood what the Internet was. I got my first PC (I'd been using Apple II's in school) with Windows 3.11, a double speed CD-ROM drive, DOS 6.22 (the last version before Windows 95 made it in the background), and continued to build my SNES/Genesis collection, along with the Super Game Boy for SNES. I stopped watching Ninja Turtles that year as I noticed one episode was much different that it felt like a Batman:TAS knockoff at that point, and was mostly into Nickelodeon at that point. My cable provider wouldn't get Cartoon Network until 1995, so I still watched USA's Cartoon Express for classic cartoons.

Written By: XYkid on 08/06/13 at 7:49 am

To me, all of these "grunge died" after Corbain's death are false, in the similar vein that Hair Metal died after Nirvana came on the scene, or when Disco Demolition Night occured. Soundgarden had its biggest album and hit that year, Pearl Jam was still going strong, and others were still making an impact before it devolved into post-Grunge over the course of the later part of '94 into 1995-96.
Grunge never died in Oregon/Washington :P

Written By: Jeff on 08/06/13 at 1:06 pm

Grunge never died in Oregon/Washington :P

There's still grunge today. Soundgarden released King Animal last year.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/08/13 at 12:20 am

To me, all of these "grunge died" after Corbain's death are false, in the similar vein that Hair Metal died after Nirvana came on the scene, or when Disco Demolition Night occured. Soundgarden had its biggest album and hit that year, Pearl Jam was still going strong, and others were still making an impact before it devolved into post-Grunge over the course of the later part of '94 into 1995-96. I remember VR Troopers, that Power Rangers knockoff that I never knew was based on Metal Heroes until recently (and VR in general is making a comeback as of late). I was also taking Tang Soo Do-style Karate that year. It was also the last year in which I never understood what the Internet was. I got my first PC (I'd been using Apple II's in school) with Windows 3.11, a double speed CD-ROM drive, DOS 6.22 (the last version before Windows 95 made it in the background), and continued to build my SNES/Genesis collection, along with the Super Game Boy for SNES. I stopped watching Ninja Turtles that year as I noticed one episode was much different that it felt like a Batman:TAS knockoff at that point, and was mostly into Nickelodeon at that point. My cable provider wouldn't get Cartoon Network until 1995, so I still watched USA's Cartoon Express for classic cartoons.

I think we can both agree that the term "grunge" had its time just like disco and new wave before it.  Nobody has ever had a scene made about grunge before or since then. But the fact that Soundgarden is back still gives me hope.

Written By: SpaceHog on 08/08/13 at 9:05 am

I started kindergarten that year.

The winter that opened the year started off strong a few days after Christmas of '93. We had back to back snowstorms that winter.

Spring 1994 from what I can remember was pretty wet.

Summer 1994 was moderately warm.

Fall was pretty dry here in New England.

Then the crap fest that was winter 1994/1995.

Musically, the predominant music was Eurodance. Real McCoy hit the scene. Kurt died in April. Soundgarden released "Black Hole Sun." from the album Superunknown. Pearl Jam also released Vitalogy. The Cranberries also released "Dreams" and "Linger"

House music declined. I personally believe that 100% Pure Love by Crystal Waters was the death knell of house music.

Written By: popguru85 on 08/09/13 at 12:59 pm

I remember being in 2nd/3rd grade
Power Rangers/X-Men/Batman were really popular
Was into Sonic The Hedgehog and Nightmare Before Christmas
Had Sega Genesis and used to play it all the time
Remember watching the OJ Simpson bronco chase with my mom
Went to Minnesota to visit family during the summer and saw Lion King in the Theatres
My mom became pregnant with my little sister in October

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/10/13 at 5:30 am

This could be the earliest year I have concrete recollections from...then again, I could be mistaking it for '95, but humor me...  :P

I remember going with my dad (I was either two or three) to drop my half-brother off at his junior high school, and then he'd buy me some doughnut holes and we'd go home, where I'd watch Mary Poppins.

Written By: Zeb on 08/10/13 at 7:56 pm

Went to Minnesota to visit family during the summer and saw Lion King in the Theatres

Just as it was with the 1991 thread, most of what you remember I recall very well too.  I did not have a Sega but my neighbor did and we would play NBA Jam all the time; this was my 3rd/4th grade year. That summer one of my other best friends moved to New Jersey right after school let out. I wrote him a couple of letters and he wrote back.  Aside from the Bronco Chase the other current event of that year which sticks out in my mind was the death of John Candy.

Written By: Starde on 08/11/13 at 7:50 pm

I have very few vague memories from that year since I was a little kid. I think I remember watching some of the World Cup that summer with my parents though. I believe there is even a family photo showing me next to a bulky TV with a soccer game on.

Written By: Inertia on 08/12/13 at 7:39 pm

I was in Kindergarten in 1994.

Lets see I remember being somewhat obsessed with the Kitty Kitty Kitten stuffed animal I got for the Christmas of 1993 that year. I carried her everywhere with me. :)

My tonsils had been taken out in either December of 1993 or January of 1994 and my throat was sore for awhile at the beginning of the year. I ate tons of ice cream. My voice also changed from being deep like an adult to a higher pitched child voice afterward, and I had to become accustomed to the new sound.

I also recall the first time I had math homework and knew within a few minutes I despised the subject. As a Kindergarten student, I could finally leave the pre-school playground and play on the bigger playground meant for the older children which I was thrilled about doing.

The O.J. Simpson shenanigans stand out in mind too.

Written By: callmyname on 08/13/13 at 6:21 pm

Friends was considered edgy?  :o  ;D

I don't remember much of 1994, but what I do remember, my sister being born, breaking my foot, and my brother had a friend named Sam. I remember nothing about the pop culture but I do faintly remember the kind of clothing people wore back then.

I don't remember the OJ thing as it was happening nor do I recall the verdict, I think I'm just a tiny bit too young but I do remember hearing about it a year or two afterwards.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/13 at 11:54 pm

What's funny is that 1994 is the year I can't ever imagine getting old. There are a lot of aspects of it that can still seem modern.

1994 was the year the internet started to gain momentum with the public.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/15/13 at 12:40 pm

Besides the personal stuff, this.  Also, the Spiderman cartoon.  There was tons of great kid stuff out that year.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/20/19 at 12:04 pm

I started high school in September 1994. I still remember my first day! My dad took my best friend and I to school. I wore a floral, long-sleeved bodysuit, jeans(that were somewhat tight at the waist and baggy at the legs.) First class wasn't really a class we called it homeroom.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/20/19 at 3:00 pm

I’m with the camp of people that would have preferred to watch the “X-Men” Saturday morning cartoon in 1994 over the new “Spider-Man”. The “X-Men” seemed more true to the script of the comic books and the Konami arcade game was a blast to play.
“X-Men” was more important to the 90s than anything with the other Marvel heroes was.

Written By: Dj. on 08/21/19 at 3:05 pm

yes i took a trip to spain during late 94, i remember my birthday early in that year
one of my favorite childhood years, the year of the Lion King and when Jurassic Park came out on VHS

this is how i remember the sound of 1994
2McVxVLMRZI
3C8bvYlqy9A

Written By: Retrolover on 08/21/19 at 6:36 pm

yes i took a trip to spain during late 94, i remember my birthday early in that year
one of my favorite childhood years, the year of the Lion King and when Jurassic Park came out on VHS

this is how i remember the sound of 1994
2McVxVLMRZI
3C8bvYlqy9A

I think Ice MC was on “Club MTV” in the very early 90s. The music of B.G. Prince of Rap was still fairly recent in the mid 90s.

Did you wear a “Jurassic Park” top in 1994? Is “Jurassic Park” a 90s masterpiece in your eyes?

Written By: BrandonB on 08/29/19 at 9:00 pm

I turned 11 that November.  Over the summer, I went on a vacation to St. Louis where I went up in the arch, visited the zoo, and went to Six Flags as well. 

Written By: Skittler on 09/12/19 at 7:15 pm

I was 8 in 1994 and all I can remember is having a crush on my older brothers high school girlfriend. I tried to flirt with her all summer long, I was such a little pervert lol.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/16/19 at 11:35 pm

For me, that year is probably 1989.

Written By: Congo on 10/17/19 at 2:44 am

For me, that year is probably 1989.

what year were you born in?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/22/19 at 12:07 am

I graduated high school and started college in 1994.  Got my first real job at the steel shop when I turned 18 that summer.  My first experience with the internet on the college computers, lots of 80s themed pages.  My first time having my own cable TV, watched Beavis and Butthead every day, among other things.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/19/20 at 12:58 pm

Disney’s The Lion King was a big deal.

I thought The Flintstones was going to be the next The Addams Family.

My friends and I were still talking about Disney’s Aladdin. Burger King had Disney Aladdin toys that year and the direct-to-VHS sequel came out.

Jurassic Park was on VHS for the first time.

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers craze was going on which reminded me a little bit of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles craze from four years before then.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/18/21 at 5:48 pm

I just remembered this song from 1994

eTeg1txDv8w

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/19/21 at 9:07 am

I just remembered this song from 1994

eTeg1txDv8w

I always remember that song from the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Harry and Lloyd had a fight after realizing they were going in the wrong direction. Also Weird Al's parody.

Check for new replies or respond here...