inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Casper" (1995)

Written By: The Valley Goth on 09/10/13 at 1:24 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Did you see "Casper" in a theatre when it was released during 1995?  If you were one of the people who saw it in a theatre during 1995, what did you think of the movie?

I can still remember going to see that movie.  I watched it in a local theatre.  I was 16, but I absolutely loved most aspects of the movie; it WAS slightly goofy at times, but it was so cool!  I thought that Christina Ricci was PERFECT as Kat, and I liked the fact that a girl who was only a year younger than I was could convincingly play a 12-year-old...without looking, or acting, totally fake.

I was absolutely in LOVE with Casper!  I loved everything about him!  It helped that he reminded me of a high school guy (a friend) whom I was crushing on, but, still, Casper was super cute to begin with, anyway.  I loved his looks, his voice, his smile, that discussion that he had with Kat while they were at the mirror, his tragic back-story, etc., and my FAVORITE part of the entire movie was the first "Kat, can I keep you?" scene!  OMG!  If the ghost version of Casper (The human version of him wasn't cute enough, as far as I was concerned) had floated into my life, I'd have become his girlfriend in a heartbeat, just so that he could've said that to me while I was in bed!  I know, I know, I was already 16, but I've always had a wild imagination!

I was also drawn to the movie's more emotionally Goth elements, too.  The music from the movie tended to make me sad, and the sadder scenes from the movie (Ie: The lighthouse scene) reminded me of my late cousin, who had died during the 1980s, when we had both been kids. 

I never had any of the "Casper" merchandise, save for the cassett tape version of the soundtrack, and the VHS version of the movie, but I hope that the movie's 20th Anniversary (2015) brings all of us total "Casper" fans some cool movie merchandise!

Did anybody ever have any of these casper items?

www.osmileysdollsandcollectibles.com/servlet/the-3516/CASPER-THE-GHOST-Mischief/Detail

links.hobbiesdepot.com/packs11132010/casperpack.jpg

24.media.tumblr.com/49fc4189c48606a6b9756119f3ae8d1e/tumblr_mi8mt8HrDa1qzsyovo1_500.png

www.fosterthemovie.com/Casper_Pizza_Hut.jpg

2.bp.blogspot.com/_0acUbzoZS6o/TEUdLMcSmsI/AAAAAAAADIA/-KT--rr5v8I/s320/CasperFront.jpg

www.impawards.com/1995/posters/casper_ver2.jpg

ooster.ru/covers/ost51/Casper_soundtrack.jpg
8)

Subject: Re: "Casper" (1995)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/13 at 1:25 am

I liked it when they showed it on tv like two years later. Nice film.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/13 at 6:24 am

I liked it but not as great as the original film.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/13 at 6:36 pm

The best part of the movie was when Dan Aykroyd (as Ray Stantz in the Ghostbusters uniform) comes running out of the house

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/10/13 at 10:41 pm

I saw this film in theaters. In fact it was one of, if not the first film I saw in theaters. I was 4 at the time.

And I had the glow-in-the-dark plastic hand puppet of Fatso from Pizza Hut!

Written By: Venomous Mask on 09/10/13 at 10:46 pm

Love this film.  Robin Williams sits at the left hand of God.

Written By: robodog on 09/12/13 at 4:46 pm

I saw it in theatres. It's a pretty good movie. Better than one would expect a Casper movie to be. I watched it again recently and it still holds up.

Written By: Zeb on 09/20/13 at 8:18 pm

I went to see this movie when it came out and I was 11 at the time and boy was I infatuated with Christina Ricci :o  I still am to this day.

Written By: Starde on 10/03/13 at 11:49 am

I loved Casper. I didn't see it in theaters, but I remember getting the VHS when I was a kid back then. I used to have this Casper lunchbox that I would take to school (first picture with the thermos):

https://www.google.com/search?q=casper+lunchbox&client=firefox-a&hs=oan&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Tp9NUsW7HsKCyAHu2oC4CA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=708&dpr=1#q=casper+purple+lunchbox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=SxoTA1Gyshy6tM%3A%3B2pLpswWPzvT5WM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.ebayimg.com%252Ft%252FCASPER-THE-GHOST-LUNCHBOX-THE-MOVIE-%252F00%252Fs%252FNjAwWDgwMA%253D%253D%252Fz%252FL1MAAMXQVs1RmEMl%252F%2524T2eC16VHJGgFFm5slFlVBRmEMkuIkQ~~60_35.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fitm%252FCASPER-GHOST-LUNCHBOX-THE-MOVIE-%252F190887459652%3B300%3B225

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/10/13 at 8:26 pm

I didn't see "Casper" while it was in theaters, but I did watch it over at a friends house one time not long after it came out on VHS. I haven't seen the movie in it's entirety in almost 18 years, so I can't really say I remember much about it honestly, but I do recall liking it at the time.

On a side note, does anyone remember this Fox Kids animated series that was a spin-off of the 1995 film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-0_3ZiZQY

Despite lasting all the way until 1998, this is a pretty obscure one here. I used to watch Fox Kids all the time when this show aired, and even I only barely remember it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/20/13 at 6:26 pm

Casper was the second film I ever saw in theaters, after 100 Dalmatians years earlier. My children's church choir was taken and I remembered liking it because of Christina Ricci, who was one of my favorite actresses at the time. The film was good, but the general theatre experience sucked. How they expected 35 children to share ONE tub of popcorn is beyond me.  Then they got pissed when my mom bought me my own tub, because she didn't trust all the little children digging their grubby hands in the popcorn tub. Who knew what they had that I could have caught?

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/13 at 8:26 pm

I think I first saw it on video.  It's a great movie!  The scene with Devon Sawa is the best  :P :-*

Subject: "Casper" (1995)

Written By: Dude111 on 03/03/18 at 1:06 pm

I sort of liked this movie...........

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 03/12/18 at 9:19 pm

I saw trailers on TV but never watched it. Neither did my neighbor and close friend Liz. I did, however, see the Nostalgia Critic review it years later on NicoNico Douga (Japanese YouTube) with Japanese subtitles. "CASPER!" :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 3:46 pm

I have only seen small chunks of the film, not enough yet to form an opinion on it. But I have seen "Casper: The Musica"l live on stage.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/20/18 at 8:44 pm

I remember going to see this film with my church choir as a kid. I really liked it and thought it was cool, especially at the time because I was a HUGE Christina Ricci fan. I had already seen Mermaids and both Addams Family pictures multiple times by the time I saw this. It was awesome.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/21/18 at 9:49 am

Yep! I saw it in theaters and loved it. Stinky, Fatso, and Stretch were my favorite characters. What's funny is that they were actually kind of disturbing. For a kids movie, these characters were unapologetically nihilistic. They thought life was a complete joke.

Take this scene for example. Nothing, not even a man's love for his deceased wife was sacred.

5IPCNRlCYP8

Written By: exodus08 on 05/21/18 at 12:45 pm

I've watched it plenty of times but not a big fan.

Check for new replies or respond here...