inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guns N' Roses

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/13/13 at 1:58 am

Does anyone else here like them?

What do you think of the Use Your Illusion albums, which came out and were blockbuster hits in 1991?

Anyone here remember how huge they were in the early/mid '90s?

Subject: Re: Guns N' Roses

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/13 at 5:58 am

But Guns N Roses were an 80s band who had hits in the 90s

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/13/13 at 3:22 pm

To be fair, he is asking a question about a 90's album.

My thoughts on Use Your Illusion?  The good stuff on it was really good, the bad stuff on it was really bad.  I would have rather them make one really kick-ass album like Appetite For Destruction, rather than 2 hit and miss albums.  I saw them at MSG for this tour (with Soundgarden  :-*) and Axl spent more time off stage than on and it was disappointing.

All that being said, I am a fan.  I think they did their thing really well and they were a standout instantly.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/13/13 at 3:31 pm

My opinion is that I have never liked them and never will.  My sister saw them once and Axl threw a hissy fit on stage for some reason and left the arena.  Didn't come back.  Disappointed a lot of fans that night.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/13 at 4:01 pm

I think they had an album called The Spaghetti Incident.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/13/13 at 4:02 pm

You're correct.  It was mostly cover tunes.

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/13 at 4:49 pm

I liked Guns N Roses in the 80s, but I couldn't find anything from them I liked in the 90s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/13/13 at 10:03 pm

To be fair, he is asking a question about a 90's album.

My thoughts on Use Your Illusion?  The good stuff on it was really good, the bad stuff on it was really bad.  I would have rather them make one really kick-ass album like Appetite For Destruction, rather than 2 hit and miss albums.  I saw them at MSG for this tour (with Soundgarden  :-*) and Axl spent more time off stage than on and it was disappointing.

All that being said, I am a fan.  I think they did their thing really well and they were a standout instantly.

That's pretty much the same way I feel about Use Your Illusion I & II.

One one hand you had this, which IMO was as good as anything off of Appetite For Destruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9L-BZ1PI0&noredirect=1

Also, I thought November Rain was an excellent song as well.

On the other hand, you had this, which was an idiotic song where Axl whined and complained about his critics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXrhX0kD-mA&noredirect=1

The best thing about this is that Axl called out Bob Guccione, Jr. from Spin Magazine challenging him to a fight and Guccione wrote back to Axl accepting his challenge, but for some reason Axl never got back to him.  ::)

It's really too bad because Guns N' Roses were one of the best hard rock bands of all time and Axl Rose was an extremely talented songwriter and composer but he was just too effed up in the head to keep it all together and he basically wasted the last 15 years of life in seclusion. 

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/14/13 at 7:12 am

Axl never got back to Bob Guccione, Jr. because he was too busy writing "Chinese Democracy".  ;D  That album will be released in some century or other...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/13 at 9:52 am

Axl never got back to Bob Guccione, Jr. because he was too busy writing "Chinese Democracy".  ;D  That album will be released in some century or other...

The running joke was that Axl was taking so long to finish this album that there would actually be Chinese democracy before "Chinese Democracy" was released.  :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/15/13 at 4:05 pm

The running joke was that Axl was taking so long to finish this album that there would actually be Chinese democracy before "Chinese Democracy" was released.  :D

Precisely!  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/29/13 at 2:51 pm

Use Your Illusion was just okay.  I don't understand what Axl's head space was like during the recording sessions for that? It didn't seem like the band was as excited about it as Axl was.  :(

Written By: Paul on 10/29/13 at 4:12 pm

Frankly, I'd lost interest (well, what limited interest I had!) in them by this point...

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/13 at 4:39 pm

The one thing I always think of with 90s Guns 'N Roses was the Rocket Queen Riot at the Riverport Amphitheater in St. Louis, when Axl stormed off the stage due to poor security

On the linear notes of Use Your Illusion I and II, there is a message in the thank yous that reads "F*ck  you St. Louis!" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magOc3d0-dk

Written By: elam on 10/29/13 at 6:06 pm

I like the song "November Rain"

Written By: 80sfan on 10/29/13 at 8:14 pm

When was their 'hey day'?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/29/13 at 11:40 pm

The one thing I always think of with 90s Guns 'N Roses was the Rocket Queen Riot at the Riverport Amphitheater in St. Louis, when Axl stormed off the stage due to poor security

On the linear notes of Use Your Illusion I and II, there is a message in the thank yous that reads "F*ck  you St. Louis!" lol

The riots at Olympic Stadium in Montreal were way worse than that.  :P

4kQv7D4B9gY

Written By: Howard on 10/30/13 at 7:55 am

I would have to say mid to late 80's.  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/30/13 at 10:14 pm

I honestly stopped caring about them after Slash became the last one to leave.  He was smart enough to do so otherwise I'm almost certain he and Axl would have killed each other.

Written By: warped on 10/31/13 at 5:14 am

1987 - 1989.

Their first album was really huge.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/13 at 2:22 pm

1987 - 1989.

According to sources, their album from 1987 sold 18 million copies, in the US alone!!  :o :o

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/13 at 2:22 pm

I would have to say mid to late 80's.  ???

Sounds about right!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/02/13 at 7:41 pm

1987 - 1989.

Actually it was mid 80s to mid 90s then their careers started getting "craptacular" because of Axl's ego trip and clashes with everybody in the band.

Written By: Creeder on 11/05/13 at 10:59 am

Guns N' Roses are the last big and influential classic rock band before grunge became the new master of rock.
Axl Rose is the epitome of a rock frontman.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/13 at 11:03 am

Actually it was mid 80s to mid 90s then their careers started getting "craptacular" because of Axl's ego trip and clashes with everybody in the band.

Sounds more plausible, because usually artists are popular for more than 3 years!  8)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/05/13 at 9:27 pm

Sounds more plausible, because usually artists are popular for more than 3 years!  8)

Absolutely.  The mayor of Montreal at the time of the riots said that Guns was no longer welcomed in their town and they haven't been back there since.

jzBbZkJPS5g

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/12/13 at 1:50 pm

The peaks of their popularity were in two phases: 1988-1989, when Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, and Patience all took off as singles, with the controversy of the song One in a Million helping them. Then their popularity reached it's apex from 1991-1994, with the UYI sets which have sold around 18 million records worldwide, with around the block lines waiting for the midnight release, something only seen with pop culture phenomenons like Star Wars. Their singles such as You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged got heavy and regular rotation on MTV, with the November Rain video becoming the most requested video on MTV in 1992. This is the period where GN'R was able to sell out 70,000 seat stadiums in minutes. I would say the early/mid 90s were their heyday.

Written By: XYkid on 11/13/13 at 8:49 am

It's funny because Axl sure has spilled his spaghetti countless times.

Check for new replies or respond here...