inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 8:24 am

Hey, I would like to hear in your own opinion,  which game console was better for most of the 90s?

I would say for me is the super Nintendo because that was my first game console that I had played and it had some good games on it like

Super Mario World and it's sequel SMW2: Yoshis island

Legend of zelda: A link to the past

Super Mario kart

Super Mario all stars

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country and it's 2 sequels

Yoshis safari

Star Trek: DS9

Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures

NBA Jam

NBA and NFL 95

I think I had an Addams family game or castlevania game,  but I'm not sure which it was

I had a tennis game for it,  but I don't remember what it was called.

A Disney goofy game

Tom and Jerry

But anyway,  which was the best?

Subject: Re: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/17/13 at 8:39 am

Super Nintendo was my first too, and I think it was the best. We got our Super Nintendo Christmas 1994. And I remember Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars were the two games that were included with the game system, in the package. So fun!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 8:41 am

Super Nintendo was my first too, and I think it was the best. We got our Super Nintendo Christmas 1994. And I remember Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars were the two games that were included with the game system, in the package. So fun!
yeah it was. Good times,  good times.

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/13 at 9:45 am

Both systems had their us and downs, and it depends on what exclusive series' you liked for each.

Super Nintendo had the Super Mario Brothers
Sega Genesis had Sonic the Hedgehog

Super Nintendo pluses ...
- Actraiser 1 and 2
- Super Double Dragon
- Final Fight 1, 2 and 3
- Super Adventure Island 1 and 2
- Super Star Wars Trilogy
- Total Carnage

Sega Genesis pluses ...
- Streets of Rage 1,2 and 3
- Alisha Dragoon
- Midnight Resistance
- Caliber .50
- Golden Axe 1,2 and 3
- Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
- Rambo III
- Sword of Sodan
- Splatterhouse 2 and 3

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 11:42 am

Both systems had their us and downs, and it depends on what exclusive series' you liked for each.

Super Nintendo had the Super Mario Brothers
Sega Genesis had Sonic the Hedgehog

Super Nintendo pluses ...
- Actraiser 1 and 2
- Super Double Dragon
- Final Fight 1, 2 and 3
- Super Adventure Island 1 and 2
- Super Star Wars Trilogy
- Total Carnage

Sega Genesis pluses ...
- Streets of Rage 1,2 and 3
- Alisha Dragoon
- Midnight Resistance
- Caliber .50
- Golden Axe 1,2 and 3
- Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
- Rambo III
- Sword of Sodan
- Splatterhouse 2 and 3
that's true about the ups and downs. Some were good, some were bad.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/13 at 11:59 am

I can't really choose which one I'd think is better, mainly because I own both.

I do have preferences with the genres for each system though.

I mostly played the Super Nintendo for the platformer/action games, Mario and Mega Man in particular. There were a couple of RPGs I've beaten on it, but I didn't really care for the Final Fantasy series and I was kind of disappointed about Dragon Quest 5 and 6 not being released on it over here.

For Sega Genesis, I mostly played for it the RPGs, mainly Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4. These games are somewhat like the Dragon Quest series but with a futuristic twist. During Dragon Quest's international dark age(This refers to the lack of any real releases between the 4th game and some remakes on the Gameboy outside of Japan), this helped fill in the void quite nicely RPG wise for me. The best of the three are Phantasy Star 2 and 4. Phantasy 3 is the most flawed in terms of quality and while its generation setup is nifty, it's not very well done(and I'm not about go into the bugs and exploits that weren't ironed out). That said, I did get some enjoyment out of Phantasy Star 3, despite it's narminess. The other RPG I played quite a bit was Lunar: Eternal Blue, but that was part of the Sega CD setup.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 2:26 pm

I can't really choose which one I'd think is better, mainly because I own both.

I do have preferences with the genres for each system though.

I mostly played the Super Nintendo for the platformer/action games, Mario and Mega Man in particular. There were a couple of RPGs I've beaten on it, but I didn't really care for the Final Fantasy series and I was kind of disappointed about Dragon Quest 5 and 6 not being released on it over here.

For Sega Genesis, I mostly played for it the RPGs, mainly Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4. These games are somewhat like the Dragon Quest series but with a futuristic twist. During Dragon Quest's international dark age(This refers to the lack of any real releases between the 4th game and some remakes on the Gameboy outside of Japan), this helped fill in the void quite nicely RPG wise for me. The best of the three are Phantasy Star 2 and 4. Phantasy 3 is the most flawed in terms of quality and while its generation setup is nifty, it's not very well done(and I'm not about go into the bugs and exploits that weren't ironed out). That said, I did get some enjoyment out of Phantasy Star 3, despite it's narminess. The other RPG I played quite a bit was Lunar: Eternal Blue, but that was part of the Sega CD setup.
platformers, RPGS, and action games are your thing.  Huh?

Written By: popguru85 on 12/17/13 at 2:51 pm

I Got Sega Genesis first and logged A LOT of hours into Sonic.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/13 at 3:05 pm

platformers, RPGS, and action games are your thing.  Huh?

Well, mostly RPGs nowadays.

Although I don't get what you mean by "Huh?"

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 4:27 pm

I liked Super Nintendo but I was more interested in the regular NES Nintendo Entertainment System from the late 80's.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 4:30 pm

I Got Sega Genesis first and logged A LOT of hours into Sonic.

my favorite song from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKAXAJoED1A

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:09 pm

Well, mostly RPGs nowadays.

Although I don't get what you mean by "Huh?"
the huh was used with sentences back then

Like for example:

You're going out to eat, huh?

Going out to play sports, huh kid?

Its another saying for "you don't want to do this,  do you?" "You don't want to do this, huh?

Do you understand this?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:12 pm

I liked Super Nintendo but I was more interested in the regular NES Nintendo Entertainment System from the late 80's.
was the NES popular in the early 90s or did the Sega Genesis trample it?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/17/13 at 9:02 pm

My brother got Sega Genesis for Christmas in '93 and that was the first console we owned. I have fond memories of playing the following games:

-Sonic 1
-Sonic 2
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
-Aladdin
-Fun & Games
-RiStar
-TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
-Tiny Tunes: Buster's Hidden Treasure

My brother also had some X-Men and Batman games I didn't play as much...I was pretty young and not that good at them lol.

In the Fall of '97, my mom surprised us with a Nintendo 64 and we forgot all about our Genesis for a while. In fact my mom even donated some of the games.

I bought a used SNES in the summer of '02...there were some good games for it but Genesis is infinitely more nostalgic for me.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 9:43 pm

My brother got Sega Genesis for Christmas in '93 and that was the first console we owned. I have fond memories of playing the following games:

-Sonic 1
-Sonic 2
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
-Aladdin
-Fun & Games
-RiStar
-TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
-Tiny Tunes: Buster's Hidden Treasure

My brother also had some X-Men and Batman games I didn't play as much...I was pretty young and not that good at them lol.

In the Fall of '97, my mom surprised us with a Nintendo 64 and we forgot all about our Genesis for a while. In fact my mom even donated some of the games.

I bought a used SNES in the summer of '02...there were some good games for it but Genesis is infinitely more nostalgic for me.
do you still have your Genesis?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/17/13 at 10:04 pm

do you still have your Genesis?

Yes I do!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 11:22 pm

Yes I do!
That's awesome.  I have mines as well.  Turns out for me, 8 years ago I saw a Genesis along with a PS1 and Sega Saturn in my family room and I grabbed it and I played ms. Pacman, mortal kombat 2, and NBA jam. This tells me that I might have played the Genesis when I was younger,  but I'm not sure since I was playing my Super Nintendo a lot.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:04 am

I think The regular Nintendo was still popular for a while till Super Nintendo came on the scene later on along with Xbox and The Sega Genesis.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:05 am

The only game I remember playing was Sonic The Hedgehog.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/18/13 at 7:24 am

I think The regular Nintendo was still popular for a while till Super Nintendo came on the scene later on along with Xbox and The Sega Genesis.
the xbox came out in 2001.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/18/13 at 4:05 pm

the huh was used with sentences back then

Like for example:

You're going out to eat, huh?

Going out to play sports, huh kid?

Its another saying for "you don't want to do this,  do you?" "You don't want to do this, huh?

Do you understand this?

Now I do. I just never used it myself(as far as I can remember).  :D ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/18/13 at 9:55 pm

Now I do. I just never used it myself(as far as I can remember).  :D ;)
ahh, now I see

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 7:28 am

Which had more games Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/19/13 at 7:50 am

Which had more games Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis?
I would say Sega Genesis because the console had games released for 9 years from 1989 to 1998.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/13 at 2:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVCp87-cwCM

Raw Is War for Sega Genesis

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/13 at 8:13 pm

This is a tough decision.  I remember owning the Sega Genesis before Super Nintendo.  I was a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog and have played a few more Sonic games, most of which were out after the Genesis.  However, I played Super Mario World nearly every day when we had it.  I'm still a fan of Mario but I can't decide which console I prefer.  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/13 at 1:23 am

This is a tough decision.  I remember owning the Sega Genesis before Super Nintendo.  I was a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog and have played a few more Sonic games, most of which were out after the Genesis.  However, I played Super Mario World nearly every day when we had it.  I'm still a fan of Mario but I can't decide which console I prefer.  8)
It's ok. At least you played both.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/27/20 at 5:11 pm

I pick the Sega Genesis.

We got our Super Nintendo on Christmas 1994. It was epic! The first game we played on it was Super Mario World. I loved my video games I use to be such a gamer back then!

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/14/20 at 3:38 pm

Gensis

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/14/20 at 3:43 pm

US/Canada and Europe:

NES was the leader until 1991

Then Genesis had smashing sales for its first few months in 1991 and led, but the SNES took the lead for Christmas 1991

Genesis however dominated from 1992-1996, in fact as of 1994, Sega controlled over 50% of the entire video game market

In 1997, SNES overtook the Genesis because Sega had discontinued official support for it (stupid move).* This allowed SNES’ sales in North America and Europe to surpass Genesis overall.

In Japan, the NES reigned until the SNES came out

In Japan during the 90s it was SNES, PC Engine, Genesis and NES in that order. Genesis was a failure in its home country which is why Sega of Japan focuses more on the Japanese market with the Saturn (another horribly stupid move).

*=Despite the Saturn and PS1 being released in May and September 1995, SNES and Genesis both outsold the new systems for Christmas 1995/early 1996. But Sega had discontinued official support for Genesis in 1995.

In the US, Sega went from having around 55% of the game market in 1994 to only 12% in 1997 as a result of the 32X in late 1994 and the horribly botched Saturn release in May 1995

Check for new replies or respond here...