inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: N64 vs PS1 vs Sega Saturn

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/31/13 at 3:44 pm

Which of these consoles dominated the second half of the 90s?

Sega Saturn
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk2.jpg

N64
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/N64-Console-Set.jpg

or

PS1
http://jsicktheslick.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/ps1.png

Subject: Re: N64 vs PS1 vs Sega Saturn

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/31/13 at 4:05 pm

I think Nintendo 64 was the winner. Not only was it the only one I myself owned/played, but I think it was the most successful. I didn't actually know many people who owned a PS1. And I knew ZERO people who owned a Saturn.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/31/13 at 4:13 pm

I think Nintendo 64 was the winner. Not only was it the only one I myself owned/played, but I think it was the most successful. I didn't actually know many people who owned a PS1. And I knew ZERO people who owned a Saturn.
So did I. I was having fun playing my N64 with goldeneye, SM64, MK64, SSB, DKR, Yoshi's story, Star wars: Rogue Squadron, Mario tennis, Pokemon Stadium, WWE, Paper Mario, and the 1st 3 Mario party series. Sorry, if I shock you with this, but I didnt have or get to play Ocarina of time, but I heard it was one of the best games of all time.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/31/13 at 5:15 pm

I was never huge into the Zelda games, but I had Ocarina of Time. I mainly just watched my brother play it for the most part, though.

Racing games for the N64 were my favorite: Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Snowboard Kids 1 & 2

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/31/13 at 5:56 pm

I was never huge into the Zelda games, but I had Ocarina of Time. I mainly just watched my brother play it for the most part, though.

Racing games for the N64 were my favorite: Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Snowboard Kids 1 & 2
Same here along with adventure, party, and shooting games

Written By: Ripley on 01/01/14 at 1:20 am

N64 was awesome!  I was obsessed with the original Mario Kart.  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/01/14 at 2:08 am

N64 was awesome!  I was obsessed with the original Mario Kart.  :)
Yeah it was

Written By: Ripley on 01/01/14 at 10:53 am

I remember this game where there were non-scary looking monsters tearing up buildings and fighting each other.  It was N64 but I've tried looking it up and can't figure out the name of it.  If you knew which one I'm talking about that would be great.  :P

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 3:50 pm

When did PS1 come out?  ???

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/01/14 at 5:23 pm

I remember this game where there were non-scary looking monsters tearing up buildings and fighting each other.  It was N64 but I've tried looking it up and can't figure out the name of it.  If you knew which one I'm talking about that would be great.  :P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Rampage_World_Tour_Cover.jpg

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/01/14 at 5:26 pm

When did PS1 come out?  ???
September 1995. The photo of the PS1 you're looking at is the slim version which came out in July 2000.

Written By: Ripley on 01/01/14 at 7:11 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Rampage_World_Tour_Cover.jpg

I think that's the one  :)

Written By: popguru85 on 01/01/14 at 7:33 pm

I loved both but I got Ps1 first with Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider

Written By: Ripley on 01/02/14 at 8:52 pm

I still have an original PS1 and these games
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mY_PU-UCGZh-5M2lfiIS0UQ.jpghttp://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/amg/games/drg000/g057/g05714see60.jpg

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/06/14 at 12:24 pm

While N64 was great and had its share of quality games (with the two Zelda Games and Super Mario 64 IMO superior to anything that PS1 had to offer), I'll have to say in terms of overall dominance the PS1. 1995 was sort of year where the 16-bit era was fading but not completely dead yet, but then Saturn arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, I never owned one and was still content with the Genesis, with some of the titles for Saturn having a Genesis counterpart, and what killed it the most was the lack of good third-party supporters, and the graphics were the worst of the three. Saturn was the clear loser; Dreamcast came out late during the PS1/N64 era and had some good games, but faded shortly into the XBOX/PS2/Gamecube era. In the first year or so of the N64 era, there wasn't as good of an output compared to the flush in the first year of the PS1, plus that had the novelty of being the first system that can play CDs in addition to just games. It also had a slow start attracting third-party develpers that had seemingly flocked to PS1, where its Crash: Bandicoot had become a serious threat to Mario/Sonic's dominance. It had a vast variety of genres for all types of people, and memory cards made long games possble. Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing then came along to keep N64 fans pleased, but much of the second year was still a bit slow, though gaining ground. But around the time Zelda: Orcarina of Time came out, the N64 seemed to be the system on top, all the way until the PS2 came out. Super Smash Bros, 1080 snowboarding, Mario Party, the two Zelda games, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Tony Hawk, Banjo-Kazooie, and so much. The era ended good with Paper Mario and Mega Man 64. Overall, I'd say 1995 was a transitional year with the SNES/Genesis rivalry intact, but giving way to a brief experiment of Saturn, followed by Playstation becoming the winner around the holidays. 1996-1997 were the PS1-dominated years, and 1998-most of 2000 the N64-ruling years (though there were still some good PS1 games around that time and was a close second during this time.)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/14 at 1:22 pm

While N64 was great and had its share of quality games (with the two Zelda Games and Super Mario 64 IMO superior to anything that PS1 had to offer), I'll have to say in terms of overall dominance the PS1. 1995 was sort of year where the 16-bit era was fading but not completely dead yet, but then Saturn arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, I never owned one and was still content with the Genesis, with some of the titles for Saturn having a Genesis counterpart, and what killed it the most was the lack of good third-party supporters, and the graphics were the worst of the three. Saturn was the clear loser; Dreamcast came out late during the PS1/N64 era and had some good games, but faded shortly into the XBOX/PS2/Gamecube era. In the first year or so of the N64 era, there wasn't as good of an output compared to the flush in the first year of the PS1, plus that had the novelty of being the first system that can play CDs in addition to just games. It also had a slow start attracting third-party develpers that had seemingly flocked to PS1, where its Crash: Bandicoot had become a serious threat to Mario/Sonic's dominance. It had a vast variety of genres for all types of people, and memory cards made long games possble. Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing then came along to keep N64 fans pleased, but much of the second year was still a bit slow, though gaining ground. But around the time Zelda: Orcarina of Time came out, the N64 seemed to be the system on top, all the way until the PS2 came out. Super Smash Bros, 1080 snowboarding, Mario Party, the two Zelda games, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Tony Hawk, Banjo-Kazooie, and so much. The era ended good with Paper Mario and Mega Man 64. Overall, I'd say 1995 was a transitional year with the SNES/Genesis rivalry intact, but giving way to a brief experiment of Saturn, followed by Playstation becoming the winner around the holidays. 1996-1997 were the PS1-dominated years, and 1998-most of 2000 the N64-ruling years (though there were still some good PS1 games around that time and was a close second during this time.)
What was your favorite console?

Written By: 1993 on 01/07/14 at 10:54 am

I had a PS1. I was a teenager in the late 90's and to me it seemed like the better, more sophisticated true next gen system. I was so done with cartridges back then

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/14 at 2:58 pm

I had a PS1. I was a teenager in the late 90's and to me it seemed like the better, more sophisticated true next gen system. I was so done with cartridges back then
What were your fav games?

Written By: 1993 on 01/09/14 at 10:44 am

What were your fav games?

NHL 98, Crash Bandicoot, Madden 98, Dead or Alive, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Ridge Racer 4

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/14 at 4:07 pm

NHL 98, Crash Bandicoot, Madden 98, Dead or Alive, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Ridge Racer 4
Nice :). I played the first crash and some of the levels were difficult. I did, however pass the whole game, but this was about 9 months ago.

Written By: TD3000 on 02/09/14 at 11:05 am

Ugh, I was one of the few who had a Saturn. Didn't have many games for it: Virtua Fighter, MKII, some sports games (the World Series Baseball games were great though). I never got into Sony consoles, so N64 it was for me after Saturn. Some GREAT games for that system: Mario 64, Mario Kart, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Madden '99, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest, etc. Unfortunately, I never finished Ocarina of Time, it just wasn't really my type of game. I'm just glad I didn't have to blow in the N64 cartridges like I did with the SNES games  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/09/14 at 6:32 pm

Ugh, I was one of the few who had a Saturn. Didn't have many games for it: Virtua Fighter, MKII, some sports games (the World Series Baseball games were great though). I never got into Sony consoles, so N64 it was for me after Saturn. Some GREAT games for that system: Mario 64, Mario Kart, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Madden '99, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest, etc. Unfortunately, I never finished Ocarina of Time, it just wasn't really my type of game. I'm just glad I didn't have to blow in the N64 cartridges like I did with the SNES games  :P
Yes. The N64 did have great games. Did you like the Saturn when you had it?

Written By: sonikuu on 02/10/14 at 12:46 am

While the N64 seems to be EASILY more popular with the nostalgia community, for some reason, I would say the PS1 was the best one of that era.  The game selection was so much larger than the N64's.  It also had a wider variety of genres, as genres such as fighting and RPGs that were rare on the N64 were plentiful on the PS1. 

I love the N64.  It's the main console of my childhood, and easily wins if we're talking nostalgia.  However, the PS1 sold around three times the amount of the N64 for a reason.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/14 at 7:09 am

While the N64 seems to be EASILY more popular with the nostalgia community, for some reason, I would say the PS1 was the best one of that era.  The game selection was so much larger than the N64's.  It also had a wider variety of genres, as genres such as fighting and RPGs that were rare on the N64 were plentiful on the PS1. 

I love the N64.  It's the main console of my childhood, and easily wins if we're talking nostalgia.  However, the PS1 sold around three times the amount of the N64 for a reason.
did the PS1 have about thousand games on it?

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 7:12 am

I'm not sure, I think it did.  ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/14 at 7:18 am

I'm not sure, I think it did.  ???
so it had about 200 more games than the N64?

Written By: sonikuu on 02/10/14 at 9:28 am

According to Wikipedia, the tally stands at:

Nintendo 64 - 387 games
Playstation 1 - 2,418 games

Granted, a fair portion of the PS1's games came out after 2000.  The PS1 had a longer lifespan than the N64 with budget titles hitting the console up until 2003, by which time the N64 was long dead.

Still, even if we halved that number, the PS1 would still over three times the amount of games as the N64.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/14 at 11:42 am

According to Wikipedia, the tally stands at:

Nintendo 64 - 387 games
Playstation 1 - 2,418 games

Granted, a fair portion of the PS1's games came out after 2000.  The PS1 had a longer lifespan than the N64 with budget titles hitting the console up until 2003, by which time the N64 was long dead.

Still, even if we halved that number, the PS1 would still over three times the amount of games as the N64.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damnn. Thats alot of games for a video game console. You are also right about PS1 lifespan. It spanned for 8 years. Thats almost 10.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 12:22 pm

Then you also have The PS2 which lasted about over a decade, I remember a PS2 commercial in 2002 and I can't believe that was over 10 years ago and they had some good games too.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 12:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kMCMpAsBBM

Here's a quick PS1 commercial from would you believe it? 17 years ago? Seems like ages ago I played that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/14 at 3:24 pm

Then you also have The PS2 which lasted about over a decade, I remember a PS2 commercial in 2002 and I can't believe that was over 10 years ago and they had some good games too.
I know. It went for 13 years. 5 more than the PS1. Something tells me that Sony has been using secret techniques to keep their game consoles spanning for long periods of time.

Written By: popguru85 on 02/10/14 at 3:47 pm

I know. It went for 13 years. 5 more than the PS1. Something tells me that Sony has been using secret techniques to keep their game consoles spanning for long periods of time.

It's usually third party developers who kept the system alive. It was open to whomever wanted to make a game for the system.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/10/14 at 9:19 pm

It's usually third party developers who kept the system alive. It was open to whomever wanted to make a game for the system.
Thats amazing! No wonder why it lasted for years.

Written By: popguru85 on 02/10/14 at 10:54 pm

I remember being amazed when I saw a copy of Madden 2005 for PS1. It was mostly sports games and shovelware for PS1 after 2001-2002.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 6:40 am

kids still want those old consoles they used to play back then.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 6:43 am

Let's see how long the PS3 lasts, I still have mine. just a few years ago I traded the PS2 for a PS3.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/14 at 4:43 pm

N64 hands down.  PS1 was pretty big but it didn't have the critically acclaimed, culturally iconic games that the N64 had.  The N64 really had some of the best games of all time.

Sega Saturn on the other hand was worse than the Dreamcast.  At least the Dreamcast still has a cult following while the Saturn was a flop from the beginning.

Written By: TD3000 on 02/19/14 at 2:50 am

Yes. The N64 did have great games. Did you like the Saturn when you had it?

I was fairly easy to please, so I liked it a little. But once I got my N64 not long after, the Saturn took a backseat bigtime. I did love the Dreamcast though; I was blown away when I first played NFL 2K on it. I wish the Dreamcast hadn't gotten lost in the shuffle, but oh well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/14 at 10:18 pm

I was fairly easy to please, so I liked it a little. But once I got my N64 not long after, the Saturn took a backseat bigtime. I did love the Dreamcast though; I was blown away when I first played NFL 2K on it. I wish the Dreamcast hadn't gotten lost in the shuffle, but oh well.
Same here. I had a dreamcast and i was great, but unfortunately, mine broke a long time ago and I couldn't play it anymore. One thing is that the dreamcast was underrated.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/07/14 at 6:04 am

Let's see how long the PS3 lasts, I still have mine. just a few years ago I traded the PS2 for a PS3.

Have you ever played Infamous? It's a PS exclusive. I have Xbox360 so I couldn't play it, but I like platforming.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/14 at 1:28 pm

Have you ever played Infamous? It's a PS exclusive. I have Xbox360 so I couldn't play it, but I like platforming.

No I haven't. I just haven't got the time anymore to own so many games, I just stuck with WWE wrestling for a couple of years now.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/20/14 at 10:39 am

In terms of systems, I'm gonna have to say the PS1. In terms of games, I'm gonna have to say the Nintendo 64, even though Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are mostly PlayStation games and I love those games.

Check for new replies or respond here...