inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s music genres

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/14 at 6:15 pm

In the 1990s, what type of music did you listen to? I listened to Hip-Hop, R&B, and Pop. The Hip-hop was mostly gangster, but not all of it was. The R&B was slow, soft and beautiful and Pop was catchy and upbeat.

For Hip-hop, you had Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Blacksheep, Puff Daddy (P. Diddy), Eminem (late 90s), Eazy-E, Big Pun, Master P etc.

For R&B, you had TLC, Blackstreet, Boyz II Men, Faith Evans, Mary J Blige, Monica, Brandy, Brian Mcknight, Keith Sweat, Joe, 702, Aaliyah, Jagged Edge, Ginuwine etc.

For Pop, you had Michael Jackson, Madonna, Christina Aguilera (late 90s), boybands, Britney Spears (late 90s), girlbands, etc.

I would put more for the pop section, but I didn't listen to pop as much as I was listening to Hip-Hop and R&B.

As for the question, what were you listening to in the 90s?

Subject: Re: 90s music genres

Written By: warped on 01/02/14 at 6:37 pm

As for the question, what were you listening to in the 90s?

50s, 60s, 70s and 80s music.

I'm not fond of 90s music in general, it's not for me.

Written By: Ripley on 01/02/14 at 8:04 pm

In the 1990s I listened to mostly Dance and Alternative Rock music.  At the end of the decade when boy and girl bands became popular, I listened to a lot of that as well.  But I was never a Teenybopper!  :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/14 at 9:06 pm

50s, 60s, 70s and 80s music.

I'm not fond of 90s music in general, it's not for me.
do you remember the genres from those 4 decades?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/02/14 at 9:08 pm

In the 1990s I listened to mostly Dance and Alternative Rock music.  At the end of the decade when boy and girl bands became popular, I listened to a lot of that as well.  But I was never a Teenybopper!  :D
I also listened to the teen pop at the end of the decade as well, but just like you, I wasn't a teenybopper either.

Written By: warped on 01/02/14 at 9:12 pm

do you remember the genres from those 4 decades?

The genres I liked were doo-wop, pop, any British Invasion of the 60s and 70s, progressive rock, hard rock, some new wave, even some folk and easy listening (Carpenters, Bread...for example)
The genres in those decade I do not like are disco and funk or any combo of them, and I am not too crazy about R&B but I like some of it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/14 at 12:03 am

The genres I liked were doo-wop, pop, any British Invasion of the 60s and 70s, progressive rock, hard rock, some new wave, even some folk and easy listening (Carpenters, Bread...for example)
The genres in those decade I do not like are disco and funk or any combo of them, and I am not too crazy about R&B but I like some of it.
Nice! My parents were also listening to new wave, but I'm not sure if new wave is a mixture of R&B and pop.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/14 at 7:30 am

my parents listened to a lot of doo-wop and R&B in the 50's and 60's, they're not too fond of funk and disco.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/14 at 7:31 am

mostly R&B, some dance and rock.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/14 at 12:57 pm

mostly R&B, some dance and rock.
Nice! I also listened to R&B. I remember it being slow and beautiful. I also forgot that I did listen to rock, but it wasnt the grunge form. I think the only rock song I heard was "All Star" by Smash Mouth which came out in 1999, but I dont know if you count that as rock.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/14 at 3:41 pm

Nice! I also listened to R&B. I remember it being slow and beautiful. I also forgot that I did listen to rock, but it wasnt the grunge form. I think the only rock song I heard was "All Star" by Smash Mouth which came out in 1999, but I dont know if you count that as rock.

I also listened to a little hardcore R&B.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/03/14 at 5:59 pm

I also listened to a little hardcore R&B.
What were your favorite artists?

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/14 at 9:31 pm

I did my share of hip-hop, but bypassed the R&B and Grunge scenes in favor of wherever the electro/industrial/EDM/techno scenes were taking the 80s synthpop/electro sound.  Electronic music didn't vanish during the 90s, it just went back underground.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 4:05 pm

What were your favorite artists?

R.Kelly,Faith Evans,Boys II Men & TLC.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/04/14 at 4:38 pm

R.Kelly,Faith Evans,Boys II Men & TLC.
ah nice. I remember a few of their songs

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/05/14 at 7:41 am

I did my share of hip-hop, but bypassed the R&B and Grunge scenes in favor of wherever the electro/industrial/EDM/techno scenes were taking the 80s synthpop/electro sound.  Electronic music didn't vanish during the 90s, it just went back underground.

Eurodance music was very popular during the 90s actually.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/14 at 3:20 pm

ah nice. I remember a few of their songs

90's R&B was cool, not great but good.

Written By: XYkid on 01/05/14 at 4:19 pm

Considering I was only 6 when the 90s ended, I mostly listened to children's music like Raffi, or whatever my parents listened to.
My older cousins listened to a lot of grunge and alternative rock of the time however, and I kind of got into it as I got older because I always wanted to be like them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/14 at 5:01 pm

90's R&B was cool, not great but good.
You said it. It was good

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/14 at 5:02 pm

Considering I was only 6 when the 90s ended, I mostly listened to children's music like Raffi, or whatever my parents listened to.
My older cousins listened to a lot of grunge and alternative rock of the time however, and I kind of got into it as I got older because I always wanted to be like them.
sounds to me that you had a good taste mixture of music genres.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/14 at 6:46 am

You said it. It was good

I wasn't crazy about rock music at that time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/14 at 1:29 pm

Me neither

Written By: Howard on 01/06/14 at 7:15 pm

Me neither

It didn't have the music I wanted to listen to.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/06/14 at 7:57 pm

It didn't have the music I wanted to listen to.
I see what you mean. when the genre you like doesnt have your fav sub type of music in there. it sucks

Written By: Howard on 01/06/14 at 8:07 pm

I see what you mean. when the genre you like doesnt have your fav sub type of music in there. it sucks

It was all rock.

Written By: XYkid on 01/07/14 at 12:35 am

Shame, the early-to-mid 90s was a glorious time in rock, I'd give anything to live in that time.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 6:50 am

Shame, the early-to-mid 90s was a glorious time in rock, I'd give anything to live in that time.

I guess I'm still living in a time warp.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 6:52 am

I did listen to some slow R&B sometimes.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/14 at 8:50 am

It was all rock.
Ohhh. I thought it had a sub type genre you didn't like.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 3:41 pm

Ohhh. I thought it had a sub type genre you didn't like.

I guess it was the sound.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/14 at 9:03 pm

I guess it was the sound.
probably so

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/10/14 at 12:01 pm

I listened to Dance, Eurodance, Pop, R&B, Freestyle, World music, Classical AM, Alternative, a little Hip hop(my father didn't allow me to listen to Hip Hop back then, lol.) I also listened to Neo-soul. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/14 at 1:11 pm

I listened to Dance, Eurodance, Pop, R&B, Freestyle, World music, Classical AM, Alternative, a little Hip hop(my father didn't allow me to listen to Hip Hop back then, lol.) I also listened to Neo-soul.
Nice. I think your dad didnt want you to listen to hip-hop back then is because it had gangsta influences in it.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/10/14 at 2:39 pm

Nice. I think your dad didnt want you to listen to hip-hop back then is because it had gangsta influences in it.

Yep, that's exactly right. ;D

I didn't like Hip Hop much anyway, and I remember mostly listening on the school bus to and from school. The bus drivers always had it on some Hip Hop station. So I HAD to listen to it. ;D It wasn't my favorite music genre.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/14 at 2:49 pm

I didn't like Hip Hop much anyway, and I remember mostly listening on the school bus to and from school. The bus drivers always had it on some Hip Hop station. So I HAD to listen to it. ;D It wasn't my favorite music genre.
What is your favorite genre?

Written By: Howard on 01/10/14 at 3:49 pm

Why not?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/10/14 at 3:49 pm

That's how My Father thought, he thinks that kind of music is just noise.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/14 at 3:51 pm

I liked hip hop but not a lot of it, maybe some of it with explicit lyrics.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/10/14 at 9:52 pm

I can see. Does he know that not all hip-hop is bad?

Written By: Howard on 01/11/14 at 3:16 pm

I can see. Does he know that not all hip-hop is bad?

He never cared for the music I liked, He was born during the 1940's doo-wop & rock and roll era.

Written By: warped on 01/11/14 at 3:19 pm

I don;t think hip-hop is gangster music at all, but I feel the same as your father, I think all hip-hop or rap is noise. Irritating noise.
That type of music is not for me.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/14 at 3:35 pm

I also enjoyed some dance party music from 1995-1999.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/12/14 at 9:24 pm

He never cared for the music I liked, He was born during the 1940's doo-wop & rock and roll era.
same thing with all my grandparents. They were all born in 1940s except I think they were listening to soft music.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/14 at 7:06 am

same thing with all my grandparents. They were all born in 1940s except I think they were listening to soft music.

My Father lives in a different decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/13/14 at 7:47 am

My Father lives in a different decade.
which one?

Written By: Howard on 01/13/14 at 7:58 am

which one?

The 50's and 60's era.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/13/14 at 11:12 am

The 50's and 60's era.
ahh nice. It seems to me that your dad and all my grandparents have some in common. They also have the 50s and 60s as their eras too. They all probably listened to the same music.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/13/14 at 11:44 am

What is your favorite genre?

Back in the '90s I loved Dance music. And, I liked all the other genres I mentioned in my previous post too. Loved Freestyle and Pop, and R&B. I would say I liked a bit of every kind of music. But not so much Hip Hop.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/13/14 at 6:02 pm

Back in the '90s I loved Dance music. And, I liked all the other genres I mentioned in my previous post too. Loved Freestyle and Pop, and R&B. I would say I liked a bit of every kind of music. But not so much Hip Hop.
that's great. Something tells me that you must love dancing.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/14 at 7:26 pm

ahh nice. It seems to me that your dad and all my grandparents have some in common. They also have the 50s and 60s as their eras too. They all probably listened to the same music.

my era is the early to mid 80's, some 90's and early 2000's.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/14/14 at 3:39 pm

my era is the early to mid 80's, some 90's and early 2000's.
Thats awesome. Mines is the 90s to today

Written By: Howard on 01/15/14 at 7:05 am

Thats awesome. Mines is the 90s to today

I believe that I'm older than you.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/15/14 at 7:12 am

I believe that I'm older than you.
You are.

Check for new replies or respond here...