inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the Grunge fashion go out of style and the Prep craze begin?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/03/14 at 4:18 pm

Around when in the '90s did the Grunge inspired fashion start to fade out--The longer hair, flannel, ripped jeans, band shirts etc--begin to be replaced by the Preppy, polo shirt, Friends Haircut and buzzed hair sort of look?

Subject: Re: When did the Grunge fashion go out of style and the Prep craze begin?

Written By: 1993 on 01/07/14 at 11:18 am

I would say mid 1995 or so you started to see the changeover. A lot of course is attributed to Cobain who was sort of the reluctant grunge icon...but the improving economy also helped spur the prep craze. Parents and young adults had more money...so they dressed better. It was like a cultural shift from doom and gloom to perky and happy.

I remember going to get my hair cut with my sis in 1995 and she asked for the Rachel. Interestingly enough, Jennifer Aniston hated that style and only wore it for the first 2 seasons. it was gone by 1996 but was still a hit with women into the 2000's

Subject: Re: When did the Grunge fashion go out of style and the Prep craze begin?

Written By: XYkid on 01/07/14 at 12:45 pm

I agree with 1993, I think 1995 was when the change started, films like Clueless kind of show this. Of course, the preppy look of the late 90s wasn't really in full swing until about '97/'98.
That being said, grunge fashion still lives on in the Northwest, and is starting to make a comeback all over the country.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 3:31 pm

I would also agree with him, it ended in the mid 1990's when guys and girls started dressing better.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/08/14 at 12:28 am

That being said, grunge fashion still lives on in the Northwest, and is starting to make a comeback all over the country.

Definitely true. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle and there were plenty of rocker kids who dressed pretty much exactly like Kurt Cobain at my high school (I graduated in 2006) and I don't think anyone at my school would have seen their clothes as dated.

To those who went to high school in a different part of the US after the grunge craze had faded, would dressing grunge have been seen as behind the times at your high school?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/14 at 3:09 am

The grunge look was pretty popular in 1995, but by 1996 I saw it fading fast!

Written By: Jquar on 01/08/14 at 5:21 am

Flannel stopped being cool around 1997, and the preppier looking fashion became big around there.

Flannel was still everywhere in 1995, 1993-96 was definitely the peak of that.

Written By: XYkid on 01/08/14 at 5:33 am

Flannel stopped being cool around 1997, and the preppier looking fashion became big around there.

Flannel was still everywhere in 1995, 1993-96 was definitely the peak of that.
Plaid in general has never really gone entirely out of fashion, though it tends to peak from time to time.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/14 at 7:47 am

The grunge look was pretty popular in 1995, but by 1996 I saw it fading fast!

I think it lasted a couple of years.

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:20 pm

You're all wrong, it was more like 2000-2001.

Written By: Katluver on 01/30/14 at 12:40 pm

Preppy never goes out of style.

As for grunge, I would say that it's never really died, depending on the location. In general, I would say that the grunge look was disappearing quickly by '98...

Check for new replies or respond here...