inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depeche Mode's Violator (1990), more 80's, more 90's, or half and half?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/07/14 at 11:38 pm

Hello to all, new here. Anyway, I decided to put this thread in the 1980's section since the most essential part of DM's discography was released in the 80's. Anyway, I would like to hear some of your responses to the thread question. I am personally undecided. That said, I think it has elements of both decades and seems generally transitional. For example, the prominent yet minimalistic use of the guitar in "Enjoy the Silence" seems more 90's-like than their very synth-dominant songs from the previous albums. I would describe "Policy of Truth" as sounding more 90's during the verses with the obvious guitars and subdued drumbeats while being more 80's during the chorus with synth dominating, the computerized drumbeats a little more dramatic, and the rather punchy slap bass sounds. I look forward to your thoughts!

Edit: I just now saw the "More than a Decade" section, so if the moderators wish to move this thread, I understand.

Subject: Re: Depeche Mode's Violator (1990), more 80's, more 90's, or half and half?

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/14 at 11:48 pm

"Violator" was recorded in 1989.  In the UK (among other countries), "Personal Jesus" was released as a single in 1989 and peaked in the UK chart that same year.  Everything else off the album, including the album itself was released in 1990

I forgot to mention, that "Violator" is a fantastic album.  It is the best DM album of the 90s, and anyone who disagrees is insane LOL

Subject: Re: Depeche Mode's Violator (1990), more 80's, more 90's, or half and half?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/07/14 at 11:56 pm

In my opinion, "Enjoy the silence" is one of the tracks of the album that sounds very 80s. It does not even sound 'typical late 80s' - more 1985-like. The rest of the album seems half and half.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/08/14 at 12:10 am

In my opinion, "Enjoy the silence" is one of the tracks of the album that sounds very 80s. It does not even sound 'typical late 80s' - more 1985-like. The rest of the album seems half and half.

What makes you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong and maybe I just haven't listened to a wide enough variety of 80's music, but I think that "Enjoy the Silence" sounds pretty different from "Master and Servant" or "People Are People" (both from 1984), for example; in fact, I'd go as far as to say it's pretty different from anything from the album Black Celebration (1986) or even the single "Strangelove" (1987). Those songs all have obviously computerized drums and a distinct percussive synth sound. "Enjoy the Silence" sounds more organic, with the drums not so obviously electronic and the synths are more in the background and for atmosphere, rather than to drive to beat as they obviously were in the above mentioned older songs. Plus, while Depeche has always been moody, I feel like "Enjoy the Silence" has a more depressive and nonchalant 90's-like moodiness than any of the other things I mentioned (compare it with anything from Black Celebration, which I think is replete with a more melodramatic kind of 80's moodiness). Is there anything to what I have observed here?

Then again, you said it sounds "very 80's," not "very 80's Depeche Mode," so maybe there is an important distinction that I have overlooked?

Written By: XYkid on 01/08/14 at 5:31 am

I agree, Enjoy the Silence sounds out of place among music from 1990. That being said, it sounds nothing like Depeche Mode's music from 1985, but I still understand what you mean when you say it sounds more like it should've come out in 1985.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/08/14 at 8:48 am

Then again, you said it sounds "very 80's," not "very 80's Depeche Mode," so maybe there is an important distinction that I have overlooked?

Yes, that's it. I meant 80s in general, so other mainstream songs from that time - not necessarily Depeche Mode.

I am not a big fan of DM though, but Enjoy the silence is a big exception - probably because it's "so 80s" IMO.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/08/14 at 11:53 am

How interesting what you've said. I have never seen that song as super 80's. When I was beginning my adolescence in the late 90's, my preferred radio station (which specialized in 90's alternative rock) played that song, and although it seemed to have a somewhat unique sound to me, it never occurred to me that it was older than most of the songs that they played. However, with two posters already saying that it sounds very classically 80's, there must be something to it. Am I the only one who feels that there is something 90's about that song?

Also, to the two posters who said it sounds 1985-ish, what would be some songs from that period that have a similar enough sound to ETS to have made it imaginable at that time? I surely would like that music! : )

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/10/14 at 10:13 pm

I'd say it was definitely a huge step into the 90's.  I can still listen to that album all the way through  8)

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/26/14 at 10:32 am

So ladybug316, what is your verdict specifically on "Enjoy the Silence" on whether it is very 80's, very 90's, or neither (or both XD)?

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/26/14 at 12:18 pm

It's 90's to me. as someone stated, it's certainly not the DP of the 80's.  I think it may be the tempo that makes me feel that way.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 01/26/14 at 7:08 pm

It's 90's to me. as someone stated, it's certainly not the DP of the 80's.  I think it may be the tempo that makes me feel that way.

I'd have to agree. It doesn't sound to me like anything else DP had done before and I don't know of any 80's songs by other groups that resemble it.

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:18 pm

I will always consider Depeche Mode an 80s band. The album came out in January, so I'm pretty sure all of the music was made in the 80s. So I consider it 80s music.

DM started sounding "harder" by 1987 - I consider 1981-1986 their classic year, 1987-1993 their commercial peak and anything beyond that as their latter days.

Check for new replies or respond here...