inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paula Abdul

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/24/14 at 4:15 pm

Does anyone else find it odd that she had 6 number-one hits between 1989 and 1991 and then she just kind of completely fell off the map until she became a judge on American Idol?

Subject: Re: Paula Abdul

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/14 at 6:43 pm

Not really.  Music comes and goes. 

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/14 at 8:07 pm

Does anyone else find it odd that she had 6 number-one hits between 1989 and 1991 and then she just kind of completely fell off the map until she became a judge on American Idol?

She possibly had problems with Virgin records and left the label.  I'm guessing that she also had things going on in her personal life.  I'm not 100% sure though.  But either way I liked her on Idol. 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/24/14 at 8:31 pm

Didn't she get sued about vocals on one of her albums or something and like the bad publicity could have ruined her.
(Wasn't she battling an eating disorder at that time too?)

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/14 at 8:54 pm

Didn't she get sued about vocals on one of her albums or something and like the bad publicity could have ruined her.
(Wasn't she battling an eating disorder at that time too?)

I know she had bulimia but I think it was before she released her album, back when she was a Laker girl. 

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/14 at 12:27 am

I get what you mean by weird.

Usually most bands or singers are one hit wonders, or they last for decades. I don't see many in-betweens.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/25/14 at 2:39 am

I get what you mean by weird.

Usually most bands or singers are one hit wonders, or they last for decades. I don't see many in-betweens.

Exactly. 6 number-ones in that short amount of time is no ordinary feat. Other artists who achieved that kind of success at a similar rate usually enjoyed a lot more longevity.

According to Billboard:
The Beatles 20
Mariah Carey 18
Michael Jackson 13
Madonna 12
Rihanna 12
The Supremes 12
Whitney Houston 11
Janet Jackson 10
Stevie Wonder 10
Bee Gees 9
Elton John 9
Paul McCartney 9
Usher 9

It took a lot of those artists a decade or two to get all those number ones. Paula got 6 in about 2 and a half years (Feb '89 - Sept '91). Had she kept going with her career, she could have been high up on that list. (ETA: Technically she did keep going with it, but her 3rd album wasn't very successful. Still odd that she fizzled so suddenly. She seemed poised to become one of the biggest acts of the '90s.)

Written By: Jquar on 01/25/14 at 4:33 am

I don't know, outside of her first album did she have anything that was worth listening to? Her first album was a decent pop record for the time, but she could never sing and the New Jack element to that album became completely phased out in pop music by the mid 90s and she was never really able to compensate.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/25/14 at 7:34 pm

It doesn't surprise me in the least.  She had eating disorders and two crummy marriages to two different crumb bums that ended in divorce.  She's sort of like Jennifer Lopez is now.... a living joke.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/14 at 10:27 pm

Exactly. 6 number-ones in that short amount of time is no ordinary feat. Other artists who achieved that kind of success at a similar rate usually enjoyed a lot more longevity.

According to Billboard:
The Beatles 20
Mariah Carey 18
Michael Jackson 13
Madonna 12
Rihanna 12
The Supremes 12
Whitney Houston 11
Janet Jackson 10
Stevie Wonder 10
Bee Gees 9
Elton John 9
Paul McCartney 9
Usher 9

It took a lot of those artists a decade or two to get all those number ones. Paula got 6 in about 2 and a half years (Feb '89 - Sept '91). Had she kept going with her career, she could have been high up on that list. (ETA: Technically she did keep going with it, but her 3rd album wasn't very successful. Still odd that she fizzled so suddenly. She seemed poised to become one of the biggest acts of the '90s.)

Paula Abdul was popular 1989 to 1991, I think.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/26/14 at 1:54 am

Paula Abdul was popular 1989 to 1991, I think.

Correct.

Written By: robby76 on 01/27/14 at 9:11 am

I had her 1995 album "Head Over Heals" which had two decent singles. Her first single "My Love Is For Real" saw her perform numerous times on UK television shows - I remember taping a fair few. It also got to #7 in the US charts.

MggwJ8wY4vo

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/27/14 at 10:19 am

I had her 1995 album "Head Over Heals" which had two decent singles. Her first single "My Love Is For Real" saw her perform numerous times on UK television shows - I remember taping a fair few. It also got to #7 in the US charts.

39jfmB5kR84

Written By: robby76 on 01/27/14 at 7:45 pm

And this was her second single from 1995 "Crazy Cool" - quite the catchy tune!

DyQnstfscz8

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:25 pm

Rush Rush wasn't a bad song. I think she just didn't translate well into the post-grunge 90s. She probably could have kept relevant if she "went gangsta" or something, but back in those days artists were not so much posers like they are now.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/03/14 at 4:03 pm

Was Paula Abdul considered hot by straight guys back in the day?

Written By: warped on 02/03/14 at 4:06 pm

Was Paula Abdul considered hot by straight guys back in the day?

Oh yeah. She was. I knew many guys my age (in their late 20s) who found her quite desirable back then.

Check for new replies or respond here...