inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Blair Witch Project

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/23/14 at 3:07 pm

Who here remembers when this came out in the summer of 1999? I wasn't old enough to go (or even desire to) see it at the time, but I remember the sensationalism surrounding the film's release and people thinking the footage was actually real. The film tends to get a bad rap today though it is heralded for its brilliant marketing and helping to establish the "found footage" genre.

I rented the film on VHS when I was a little older and I have to admit I actually loved it. It ties in themes of folklore, witchcraft, ghosts, the woods, cemeteries, Fall/Halloween atmosphere, all of which interest me. It doesn't spoon-feed you the horror but instead it's kind of a slow-burner filled with creepy moments which ultimately leave the film and its ending up to interpretation. I make a point of watching this film close to Halloween every year.

Anyway, feel free to share your memories of seeing it in theaters, debating with your friends about whether or not it was real, or just your general opinion on the movie.

Subject: Re: The Blair Witch Project

Written By: loki 13 on 02/23/14 at 3:29 pm

I went to see it in the theater. It remains the only movie I ever walked out on, a huge waste of time and money.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/14 at 3:33 pm

I went to see it in the theater. It remains the only movie I ever walked out on, a huge waste of time and money.
I saw the trailer, and could had walked on that.

Written By: warped on 02/23/14 at 4:22 pm

I didn't see it in a theater but someone rented a VHS of it and I couldn't watch it coz I had no interest in it. Boring.
Having said that, several co-workers (at the time) had seen it and it freaked them out and they thought it was just great.
Blair Witch was certainly the "flavor of the day" for a weeks there.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/23/14 at 4:41 pm

I saw the movie in the theater and I didn't like it because they never showed anything. It was and still is a horrible movie.

I think that was actually the point...to never show anything. The audience is supposed to use their imagination since whatever you conjure up in your mind is probably scarier than whatever they would have shown. I mean what would the Blair Witch have looked like if they showed her? Some old colonial woman? I don't think that would have looked very scary lol.

But oh well, to each their own :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 7:37 pm

The first time I saw it I liked it but the last time I saw it was a piece of crap.  The residents they interviewed must have got paid well to talk crap about their hometown.  Anyone notice how much they were cussing?  Ovcourse you did because every other word was f**k.  Now I'm not a prude but it wasn't necessary. 

I do like the sequel, which isn't found footage, not like the first one I mean.  It's about kids staying at a cabin and weird things start to happen.  They get possessed and in the end they are arrested for murder if I remember correctly.  More than likely no one would believe their stories though.  Anyway, it's better than the first by far. 

Written By: 1993 on 02/23/14 at 11:25 pm

polarizing movie. I saw it in the summer in 1999. Some people thought it was mortifying, others just left in disgust. Didn't seem to be much middle ground with this film

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/25/14 at 4:01 am

One time me and two girls were playing in the cornfields behind a dead end street in the neighborhood, and were trying to make little Blair Witch figures from sticks and hang them in branches. I hadn't seen the movie yet, but I know it was talked about that year. The year after that a friend brought it over and it was the most sleep inducing dragged on thing I'd ever seen!

Check for new replies or respond here...