inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990s Made-For-TV Movies

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/04/14 at 8:18 am

The 1990s were the last time that Made-For-TV movies were a staple on the big primetime networks, gradually fading out to other programming as the decade wore on. In its place howerver, cable would pick up some of the void and release their own movies. Some blame Fox's The X-Files for the decline on the Networks since for a time in the '90s, ABC, CBS, and NBC all would show a movie on Sunday nights alongside The X-Files. Once again, many of these movies have never been released onto video yet some have surfaced online via video sharing. It may be a good idea if you know anybody who has a bunch of VHS tapes around since there could be some corny but fun stuff on there. Thing of the Made-For-TV movie as what the B-movie was during cinema's Golden Age. Please post/share/comment on your favorites!

This is a good article regarding the state of the TV movie in 1997:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1346&dat=19970616&id=Zk5IAAAAIBAJ&sjid=P_0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=2191,4546185

Subject: Re: 1990s Made-For-TV Movies

Written By: nally on 04/04/14 at 11:22 am

No One Would Tell (1996) readily comes to mind; I think it was televised by NBC. It's about an abusive teen relationship that ends in tragedy. :\'(

Written By: XYkid on 04/07/14 at 5:40 pm

I watched a lot of Disney Channel Original Movies when I was a kid. During the late 90s and early 2000s, a lot those films had great messages and often touched on very serious subjects. Their film Colour of Friendship won an Emmy in 2001.

Written By: popguru85 on 04/10/14 at 7:20 pm

No One Would Tell (1996) readily comes to mind; I think it was televised by NBC. It's about an abusive teen relationship that ends in tragedy. :\'(

I remember watching this in health class senior year of high school. is this the one with Fred Savage and Candice Cameron?

Written By: nally on 04/10/14 at 10:56 pm

I remember watching this in health class senior year of high school. is this the one with Fred Savage and Candice Cameron?

Yes, that was it. They were the two main stars. Incidentally, I was actually in a high-school health class at the time it was first shown on TV, and I'm pretty sure I remember watching it then too. It was really sad.

Written By: Ripley on 04/11/14 at 11:30 pm

I watched a lot of Disney Channel Original Movies when I was a kid. During the late 90s and early 2000s, a lot those films had great messages and often touched on very serious subjects. Their film Colour of Friendship won an Emmy in 2001.

These movies were the best.  Brink is my favorite one. 

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 04/12/14 at 9:30 pm

I remember movies based on disasters such as Astroid and Tidal Wave.  Does anyone also recall Sam Neil and Miranda Richardson in Merlin?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Written By: popguru85 on 04/25/14 at 10:51 pm

I remember Ted Danson in Gulliver's Travels. They also did an adaptation of the Oddessy for NBC. I remember various cable networks playing a ton of these

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/14 at 5:30 am

I liked the Disney Channel originals Halloween programs. Mom's Got A Date With A Vampire, and Halloweentown. For other movies, I always loved the Liftetime movies!

Written By: 1993 on 05/18/14 at 12:16 pm

I remember one they showed us in health class a well...think it was about bullying or rape. Main character was some jock who looked like Roger Daltry.

was always great when they wheeled the TV into class

Check for new replies or respond here...