inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Name 5 and 5 things from the 90's

Written By: preston181 on 04/12/14 at 2:10 am

Ok, here's a twist on the whole "name x things" game: name 5 things that you liked/miss from the 90's, and name 5 things you didn't like/don't miss from the 90's.

Here's my lists:

Liked/Miss:
1. McDonald's Arch Deluxe, (with the optional circular bacon, of course)
2. Playing my Nintendo 64, (specifically Goldeneye 64, Perfect Dark, Wave Race, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps, and Zelda: The Ocarina of Time).
3. Kevin Smith, in his prime, (Clerks, Mallrats)
4. My So-Called Life, (damn you, Clare Danes, for abruptly ending this show).
5. Cheap gas prices: I used to be able to FILL my tank on less than 10 bucks. These days, I'm lucky to get a half a tank for less than $30.

Didn't Like/Don't Miss:
1. The whole "grunge" scene: bunch of plaid-wearing, patchouli smelling, Seattle-band liking hipsters.
2. Pastel clothes: leftover craptastic 80's house design turned fashion nightmares.
3. Dial up internet
4. The rise of MTV as something other than "music television": The Real World and Road Rules are responsible for the idiotic "reality tv" shows we have today.
5. The rise of Fox News: the reason behind corporately sponsored tea party blather.

Subject: Re: Name 5 and 5 things from the 90's

Written By: Katluver on 04/12/14 at 5:18 pm

Liked:
1. The music scene.
2. As dnt88, more opportunity for face-to-face communication.
3. More privacy.
4. The movies (ie. Can't Hardly Wait, Forrest Gump, A League of Their Own...)
5. Experimental fashion

Disliked:
1. the goth look
2. the baggy look
3. pixie cuts
4. South Park
5. Beavis and Butthead

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/14/14 at 9:23 am

Liked/miss:
-Bill Nye the Science Guy. Yes he's still around today, but that was such a cool show to grow up on and I even had a PC game entitled Stop the Rock which I couldn't beat.
-Fewer people wore tatoos. I prefer the more natural skin tones. I'm not a tatoo guy.
-More people played outside, and not just during bouts of spring fever. Programs were also cheaper and sponsorships/corruptions for certain "good cause" events were not as bad and really felt like you were making a difference.
-Smooth Jazz and Quiet Storm music. Very relaxing, its only heard in a few places today and new music today is very hard to come buy. Some of the R&B that wasn't too hip-hop influenced also applies. It was also the last time that there was some good new Rock music, from grunge to post-grunge to nu metal.
-The video games of that decade! Along with some from the '80s, I like almost everything the 16-bit and 32/64-bit era offers, video games were still about gameplay and not "movie scenes with chose your own adventure segments" and it was before online multiplayer and live arcades made things complex. There were also some great, addicting PC games.

Didn't like/don't miss:
-The rise of gangsta and then glam rap. I'm not that big into rap, but it took the fun out of the old school rap and made it too serious. It also caused the decline of soul and funk music. Sadly some of that is still with us today.
-Sprawly urban growth; remember when everyone wanted to live next to a golf course? Public transit wasn't quite as good.
-TRL/Beavis and Butthead/Catdog/Angry Beavers/Barney (I sort of liked Barney back then, but laugh at it today)
-The rise of daytime tabloid talk shows, causing the decline of daytime game shows early in the decade, followed by the gradual fall of Soap Opera quality before its big decline in the 2000s/early 2010s.
-Bulky camcorders and film cameras

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/14/14 at 9:47 am

Didn't Like/Don't Miss:
3. Dial up internet

So that means you prefered no internet?

Written By: Ripley on 04/14/14 at 11:42 pm

So that means you prefered no internet?

I think he meant that he hated that the internet was dial up back then, versus what we have now with high speed.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/14 at 6:34 am

I think he meant that he hated that the internet was dial up back then, versus what we have now with high speed.

dial up at the time was so damn slow, it was like watching paint dry as compared to high speed internet with 4G.

Written By: Katluver on 04/15/14 at 2:35 pm

dial up at the time was so damn slow, it was like watching paint dry as compared to high speed internet with 4G.

And that brings me back to those pleasant memories of waiting for a website to download its photos...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/15/14 at 7:54 pm

The question is - was it also annoying in the 90s? I think it was cool, even though it was slow compared to now.

Written By: Emman on 04/16/14 at 5:07 am

5. People were sane and decent. Sex, violence and drugs were not mainstream. But now.....

This is something that is so common to say but the actual evidence is slim, teen pregnancy, violent crime, and illegal drug use are at lows not seen in decades especially among the youth, I think too much people just fall for media sensationalism. I found the '90s to be degenerate, edgy to be edgy, and dark and sour pop culture wise, I think the 2010s pop culture wise are much more upbeat and "tame" compared to the '90s even with the bad economy.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/14 at 6:53 am

And that brings me back to those pleasant memories of waiting for a website to download its photos...

now you can download a photo in milliseconds.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/14 at 6:57 am

The rise of daytime tabloid talk shows, causing the decline of daytime game shows early in the decade, followed by the gradual fall of Soap Opera quality before its big decline in the 2000s/early 2010s.

I think the reason is that the popularity of the internet, that's why many things were slipping.

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/14 at 1:06 pm

The question is - was it also annoying in the 90s? I think it was cool, even though it was slow compared to now.

I don't like that it was slow but I miss the dial up sound. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1AQcGGSec
;D

Written By: Katluver on 04/18/14 at 2:43 pm

;D

lol, that takes me back. i think i was finished with dial-up around '98.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/14 at 3:33 pm

;D

It took forever to get on the internet 15 years ago. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/18/14 at 3:33 pm

lol, that takes me back. i think i was finished with dial-up around '98.

early 2000's for me.

Written By: humaeast on 04/20/14 at 4:44 pm

1. P-Pals on PBS
2. Magic School Bus
3. The Adventures of N
4. Blaze Runners
5. MIMA!!!! (she was a character in a Japanese computer game from the 1990s, I once was in a Japanese school - as an exchange student - and that's all they talked about on the playground)

Written By: Katluver on 04/21/14 at 1:48 am

It took forever to get on the internet 15 years ago. ::)

In a way, that was a good thing for me because I remember how I would normally only use the internet in a school lab since I didn't normally have the patience to wait for the dial-up at home.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/14 at 6:33 am

In a way, that was a good thing for me because I remember how I would normally only use the internet in a school lab since I didn't normally have the patience to wait for the dial-up at home.

and My parents would always say "get off the damn computer, I'm trying to make a call". ;D

Written By: Katluver on 04/21/14 at 1:58 pm

and My parents would always say "get off the damn computer, I'm trying to make a call". ;D

yep, that brings back memories...

Written By: Howard on 04/21/14 at 7:16 pm

yep, that brings back memories...

thank god you don't hear that anymore.

Written By: Ripley on 04/22/14 at 2:32 am

We ended up with two phone lines so that the computer wouldn't tie one up.  I do miss that era of the internet.  With chat rooms and old IMing.  And when people would make fan sites.  The BSB ones were always fun!  I have seen some of them still up, and oh man the things we all said on there and the grammar we would use!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/22/14 at 6:48 am

We ended up with two phone lines so that the computer wouldn't tie one up.  I do miss that era of the internet. 

My Parents did the same thing, they got two lines instead of one so that the one phone line wouldn't be tied up so much.

Written By: popguru85 on 04/22/14 at 11:15 am

Like/Things I Miss
1. Sony Playstation (wish I still held on to a few of the games)
2. Seinfeld
3. cartoons on Saturday Morning
4. The whole post grunge scene (Presidents of the USA, Smashing Pumpins, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails)
5. having video game magazines be the primary info for new releases

Don't miss
1. Dial Up speed
2. Having to have permission slips signed for school
3. Not being allowed to stay out late
4. TRL/Boy Band craze/Limp Bizkit
5. being forced to go to religious education

Written By: Howard on 04/22/14 at 2:01 pm

Like/Things I Miss
1. Sony PlayStation (wish I still held on to a few of the games)
2. Seinfeld
3. cartoons on Saturday Morning
4. The whole post grunge scene (Presidents of the USA, Smashing Pumpins, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails)
5. having video game magazines be the primary info for new releases

You can always catch Seinfeld as repeats at night.

Don't miss
1. Dial Up speed
2. Having to have permission slips signed for school
3. Not being allowed to stay out late
4. TRL/Boy Band craze/Limp Bizkit
5. being forced to go to religious education

I don't miss dial-up myself, it was so slow and was tough to get on the internet.

Written By: popguru85 on 04/22/14 at 11:20 pm

You can always catch Seinfeld as repeats at night.

I don't miss dial-up myself, it was so slow and was tough to get on the internet.

I meant to say new episodes of Seinfeld

Written By: Howard on 04/23/14 at 6:39 am

I meant to say new episodes of Seinfeld

There are no new episodes of Seinfeld. It went with it's last run 15 years ago.

Written By: Katluver on 04/23/14 at 12:36 pm

We ended up with two phone lines so that the computer wouldn't tie one up.  I do miss that era of the internet.  With chat rooms and old IMing.  And when people would make fan sites.  The BSB ones were always fun!  I have seen some of them still up, and oh man the things we all said on there and the grammar we would use!  ;D

Agree with you about those anonymous chat rooms.

Written By: warped on 04/23/14 at 3:44 pm

Things I liked:
1. the wonder years
2. The Simpsons
3. Montreal Canadiens winning the Stanley cup in 1993
4. Some good films during the decade
5. The decade ended finally

Things I disliked

1. Just about every TV show other than those listed above
2. All 90s music . For me it was so terrible compared to the 60s, 70s... And even worse than the 80s
Sadly 90s music is so much better than today.
3. Nothing stuck out in the 90s ... It's the "empty" decade...I have no nostalgia for it
Nothing worth remembering
4. The clothing.
5. For me it felt like the 90s was the decade when people began  to be cold and unfriendly towards each other.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/14 at 7:17 pm

Agree with you about those anonymous chat rooms.

wow, did I used to enjoy chat rooms till I wound up posting on message boards in 2000.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/14 at 6:16 pm

Things I liked
1. Toys, you dont see them much anymore :(
2. Endless hours of game playing/variety of gaming
3. Even though I was a little kid at the time, we had a great economy
4. Great music even though there were some downs, but not many
5. Good shows even though I didnt watch them all.

Things I disliked
1. Dial-Up
2. Lakers going downhill (They didnt win a championship again until 2000)
3. Game cartridges not working the first time you insert them
4. Renting movies/games for a few days

Written By: XYkid on 05/09/14 at 1:18 am

Miss:

1. Grunge and decent alternative rock. And the fact that you could be listening to the radio and be hearing Nirvana one minute, and the Spice Girls the next.
2. The economy
3. The fact that you could wear almost anything and look fashionable.
4. The laid back and relaxed attitude, and that everyone just felt more unified.
5. Being a kid really felt like being a kid, were as now, kids seem to be exposed to more adult situations earlier than those whole grew up in the 90s.

Don't Miss:

1. Slow Jam singers like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, or Michael Bolton. I'll admit, they each had a few good songs, but for the most part listening to their music was about as fun as watching paint dry. Not to mention this type of music seems to make up almost half of what they play on Music Choice's 90s station.
2. Dial up internet, do I need to explain?
3. Less acceptance of gay rights
4. Having Saturday Morning cartoons get interrupted by a news scandal or sport event.
5. Always having "educational" segments like "Sonic Sez" or "Sailor Moon Says" in order to hide the fact that in reality those shows had no educational value in them whatsoever. A lot of times it would be about dumb things like "don't hide in the Washing Machine".

Written By: Katluver on 05/11/14 at 4:43 pm

Miss:

1. Grunge and decent alternative rock. And the fact that you could be listening to the radio and be hearing Nirvana one minute, and the Spice Girls the next.
2. The economy
3. The fact that you could wear almost anything and look fashionable.
4. The laid back and relaxed attitude, and that everyone just felt more unified.
5. Being a kid really felt like being a kid, were as now, kids seem to be exposed to more adult situations earlier than those whole grew up in the 90s.

Don't Miss:

1. Slow Jam singers like Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, or Michael Bolton. I'll admit, they each had a few good songs, but for the most part listening to their music was about as fun as watching paint dry. Not to mention this type of music seems to make up almost half of what they play on Music Choice's 90s station.
2. Dial up internet, do I need to explain?
3. Less acceptance of gay rights
4. Having Saturday Morning cartoons get interrupted by a news scandal or sport event.
5. Always having "educational" segments like "Sonic Sez" or "Sailor Moon Says" in order to hide the fact that in reality those shows had no educational value in them whatsoever. A lot of times it would be about dumb things like "don't hide in the Washing Machine".

I remember back there seemed to be a lot of homophobia back in the early '90s.

Written By: XYkid on 05/11/14 at 9:28 pm

I remember back there seemed to be a lot of homophobia back in the early '90s.
Thankfully, Kurt Cobain was one of the exceptions to that.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/14 at 8:57 am

We had dial up for a long time, even into part of this decade. Because cheap. I remember the flame wars that ensued in chat rooms, the trolling, and all the message board drama that was so easy to get into when you're still a kid and going through that phase. Remember guestbooks on fan pages? Those could often be used as forums too.

I miss:
The cartoons.
Eurodance music.
It was OK to explore the neighborhood on your own.
Technology didn't provide ALL your entertainment needs.
The economy was better (Not that I noticed, it wasn't on my mind as a kid)

I don't miss:
The fashion.
The problems at home.
The problems at school.
The quality of movie effects.
When we didn't yet have a third bathroom in the house.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/14 at 2:09 pm

We had dial up for a long time, even into part of this decade. Because cheap. I remember the flame wars that ensued in chat rooms, the trolling, and all the message board drama that was so easy to get into when you're still a kid and going through that phase. Remember guestbooks on fan pages? Those could often be used as forums too.

dial-up was so annoying and the sound that it made when trying to log in to your computer waiting for a response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmYyeRY11o&feature=kp

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 8:06 am

Lol... I remember trying not to wake everyone up in the middle of the night with that noise from hell, just putting a bunch of pillows on the computer.  ;)

Then someone would say "get off the computer I'm trying to make a call". ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 8:30 am

Lol... I remember trying not to wake everyone up in the middle of the night with that noise from hell, just putting a bunch of pillows on the computer.  ;)

You actually put pillows on the computer? Did it work? The computer here is nowhere near anyone's room, so it wasn't a big deal. I didn't like the noise though.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 9:06 am

You actually put pillows on the computer? Did it work? The computer here is nowhere near anyone's room, so it wasn't a big deal. I didn't like the noise though.

It got so annoying.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 9:20 am

It got so annoying.

Yeah it did.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 2:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBLiHpkcOk

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 9:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBLiHpkcOk

I never had that service, but we'd get the disks. I never used them.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/30/14 at 10:05 am

I used those AOL disks in Germany in 2000. We only got around 30 hours free, but I created some more accounts and therefore had a lot more... it was never a regular thing though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/30/16 at 12:25 pm

Movies

1. Forrest Gump (1994)
2. Pulp Fiction (1994)
3. Scream (1996)
4. Candyman (1992)
5. Juice (1992)

Video Games

1. Super Mario World (1991)
2. Donkey Kong Country (1994)
3. Super Mario 64 (1996)
4. Goldeneye 007 (1997)
5. Super Smash Bros (1999)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/30/16 at 3:04 pm

Miss:

1. The Stores in the Mall (Merry Go Round/ Chess King)
2. Early '90s Clothes (Gitano shirts, I.O.U. Sweaters, Generra Sportswear, Z. Cavaricci pleated pants, and loafers)
3. Aladdin's Castle Arcade
4. The Economy in the mid and late '90s
5. FOX, NBC, CBS, and ABC Network schedules from 1990 to 1992

Don't Miss:

1. The Grunge Movement
2. The Early 2000s fashions that were new in the '90s (baggy pants)
3. The '70s Nostalgia Bandwagon
4. Gangsta and Hardcore Rap
5. Club Kids and Wannabes wearing those ugly Dr Seuss top hats in the mid '90s

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/16 at 4:26 pm

I Miss:

The music
The fashion
My younger days
Video games
Summer 1993

Written By: Ripley on 02/02/16 at 1:19 pm

Like/Miss
1. Music
2. Good times with my cousins
3. Toys
4. TV Shows
5. No responsibilities

Don't Like/Don't Miss
1. School
That's the only thing I can think of that I don't miss...

Check for new replies or respond here...