inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First half of the 90s vs Second half of the 90s?

Written By: Visor765 on 04/30/14 at 12:36 am

1990-94 or 1995-99? Which era would you say was the best for music? Movies? Clothes? Video games? TV? If so, what? Now, the first half had things such as Nirvana and Madonna, Full House, Rugrats, Flannel, you know, things like that.

The second half of the 90s seems much more interesting to me. This IS the part that brought us 3D video games and the PlayStation after all. As well as post-grunge, Tomb Raider, baggy jeans, teen-pop (I consider that more 2000s than 1990s...), 10 Things I Hate About You, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (again, probably more 2000s than 1990s), the anime obsession outbreak, and the likes.

This is strictly calendar wise 90s. Not periods measuring decade's cultural influences. Right now, as of 2014, we're currently obsessed with the first half of the 90s, and by next year, our interest will shift over to the second half. The first and second halves are totally different in my opinion, completely unidentical. Please only mainstream stuff, nothing underground or stuff that was not very successful.

Subject: Re: First half of the 90s vs Second half of the 90s?

Written By: XYkid on 04/30/14 at 8:53 am

I prefer the music, fashion, and films of the early-to-mid 90s myself. However, I was born in '94 so I really only remember the late 90s, which I enjoyed for they were part of my childhood.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/30/14 at 10:44 am

First half and until 1997. I prefer the old schoolish 90s.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/14 at 7:37 pm

I would have to say the period between 1990-1995 had better music.

Written By: dnt88 on 05/01/14 at 7:26 pm

Mid 90's of course... the early 90's were too 80'sish and tacky/cheesy, and the late 90's were.  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/14 at 5:36 am

The both halves were about the same, no real difference!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/03/14 at 3:32 am

That is Not even remotely true.

Written By: af2010 on 05/03/14 at 7:06 pm

music: first half
clothes: first half
movies: second half
TV: second half
video games: second half

I was too young to really appreciate the first half from a cultural standpoint, but it seemed to be less watered-down/manufactured than the second half.  The second half seemed to have a lot more corporate involvement in the music industry with boy bands and the like, but it was also one of the most prosperous times in American history.  So culturally I would say the first half, but the second half had a better overall quality of life.

Written By: Jquar on 05/06/14 at 1:12 am

Musically, 1991 to 1995 really destroyed the rest of the decade. 1990 was crappy though and so were the late '90s.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 05/07/14 at 1:58 am

Hmmm, hard to say. Musically, in the goth-industrial scene that I tend to favor, I would say that I lean slightly toward the first half of the 90's, although there were definitely some great songs and releases during the second half too.

I love old Nickelodeon shows like 'The Adventures of Pete and Pete' and 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' both of which flourished during the first half of the decade.

I agree with af2010 about the first half of the 90's seeming more genuine.

That said, I feel a great deal of nostalgia for the internet of the second half of the 90's (I think 1996 or 1997 was when it first became a regular fixture in my home, when I was 8 or 9). Of course, I am talking about the content and novelty, I don't miss dial-up internet.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 05/07/14 at 3:07 pm

Like Inlandsvägen1986, I strongly disagree. For example, I remember that when I was about 9 in the first half of 1997, at school in PE, they always put on C + C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now" from 1990 (it peaked on the charts in 1991) and even then, I had the sense that it was already more than a little dated, being sort of what clueless adults would think we kids would think was cool. Similarly, I remember that when I was about 10 (think the first half of 1998 as I was born in September of '87), I had an interest in horror movies and anything made before 1993 seemed "long ago" to me, or rather, 1993 was the earliest year that felt somewhat culturally current to me. Curiously enough, going back to the example of C+C MF in 1997, music from 2008 doesn't really feel dated to me now.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/14 at 4:25 pm

If I like one half, I'll get tired of it then switch to the other half.

But my flaky mind right now is loving 1995 to 1999!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/14 at 4:28 pm

Let me work this out!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/female-maths-teacher-2665964.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...