inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much did grunge's influence spread out of the US?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/05/14 at 7:31 pm

For example, I know that Nirvana and other groups associated with grunge toured Europe. However, am I wrong in thinking that grunge and other similar 90's alt-rock were largely an American phenomenon? Let's look at the UK as a case in point. Apart from Bush, I can't really think of any well-known grunge-like bands from there. The main type of rock in the UK during the 90's, Britpop, was in many ways defined by its rejection of the main elements of grunge.

Let's hear what you think with regard to this topic. Discuss.

Subject: Re: How much did grunge's influence spread out of the US?

Written By: XYkid on 06/06/14 at 12:37 am

I know Australia gave us Silverchair, but they're more post-grunge than anything.
I really can't think of any Canadian grunge bands. I know Three Days Grace and Art of Dying are heavily influenced by grunge music, but they don't really count since they weren't popular during the 90s.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/06/14 at 12:49 am

Thanks for your response XYkid. I will wait for other responses, but your answer seems to confirm what I suspected about grunge and similar alt-rock being more relevant in the US than in other countries.

I find Silverchair interesting, as they showed up rather early for a post-grunge band (both they and Bush released their first album the same year), and yet, their singer Daniel Johns is much younger than any of the innovators of grunge (for example, Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley were both born in 1967, twelve years before him).

Written By: Paul on 06/06/14 at 3:35 am

A bit out of my timeframe, this - but despite Nirvana's popularity, grunge never quite managed a toe-hold in Britain. At the time I seem to recall we were well within the 'shoegazing' Indie movement which eventually morphed into the beast known as Britpop - one of its early protagonists were Blur, I think...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/14 at 4:04 am

A bit out of my timeframe, this - but despite Nirvana's popularity, grunge never quite managed a toe-hold in Britain. At the time I seem to recall we were well within the 'shoegazing' Indie movement which eventually morphed into the beast known as Britpop - one of its early protagonists were Blur, I think...
The only gig Nirvana performed in the UK was on 30 August 1992 at the Reading Festival.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/14 at 7:38 pm

I really can't think of any Canadian grunge bands. I know Three Days Grace and Art of Dying are heavily influenced by grunge

We had quite a few of them, but they didn't make noise outside of Canada.  The biggest one was probably Artificial Joy Club, reaching #17 on the US Modern Rock chart with 'Sick and Beautiful' in 1997

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/06/14 at 8:48 pm

I can't help but imagine that there must have been some sort of grunge scene in Vancouver since it is just a three hour drive north from Seattle. Can anyone substantiate this?

Written By: 1993 on 06/26/14 at 10:51 am

The only gig Nirvana performed in the UK was on 30 August 1992 at the Reading Festival.

Nirvana played at least 20 gigs in the UK. Maybe more

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 2:44 pm

Nirvana played at least 20 gigs in the UK. Maybe more
That's wiki for you!

Check for new replies or respond here...