inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does this film trailer seem older than it is?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/13/14 at 7:16 pm

It's for the 1995 Roddy Piper action movie "Jungle Ground." However, watching it (and having seen the movie, the feel of which I think the trailer represents quite well), I think it seems a bit older. When I saw this movie with my friend about a decade ago, I had the idea that it was from about 1989 at the earliest and 1992 at the latest. I was surprised when I found out the actual date when it was released. What do you think? Does it seem like it's from the year it was released or does it seem older?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Dwt0rmROg

Subject: Re: Does this film trailer seem older than it is?

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/16/14 at 7:56 am

It does, since by 1995 some trailers started to feel a bit more fast-paced in their presentation (still hardly like today's), but if it weren't for a couple minor fashion trends visible, the way the voiceover is narrated along with the primitive sounding choral music and the lettering for the title make this feel like it came out around 1990 or so. In general, sci-fi movies tend to feel the most "ahead of their time" in terms of looks.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/16/14 at 3:17 pm

It feels like it would come out in 1989 or so. It doesn't look "90s".

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/16/14 at 11:49 pm

It does, since by 1995 some trailers started to feel a bit more fast-paced in their presentation (still hardly like today's), but if it weren't for a couple minor fashion trends visible, the way the voiceover is narrated along with the primitive sounding choral music and the lettering for the title make this feel like it came out around 1990 or so. In general, sci-fi movies tend to feel the most "ahead of their time" in terms of looks.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that it seemed a little dated, even for 1995. When you say that sci-fi movies tend to feel "ahead of their time," do you mean that this film could have been made earlier with the fashion trends you mentioned explained away in that manner? In any case, it certainly blows my mind a bit to know that this movie came out seven years after They Live. I have even wondered if it was filmed considerably earlier and maybe had a delayed release date for unknown reasons. That would answer more questions that it would provoke for me.

I am also thinking that the whole post-apocalyptic setting makes it seem more 80's-ish than it otherwise would, since post-apocalyptic B movies in lawless urban settings were a dime a dozen in the 80's-

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/14 at 11:50 pm

Yeah, does not look like the mid 90s. Just look at the cars - some look even older than the late 80s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/17/14 at 12:34 am

In any case, it certainly blows my mind a bit to know that this movie came out seven years after They Live.

They Live is timeless because it's based on Ray Nelson's 1963 short story Eight O'Clock in the Morning.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/17/14 at 12:50 am

They Live is timeless because it's based on Ray Nelson's 1963 short story Eight O'Clock in the Morning.

I'll have to read it (or at least listen to the podcast you linked to)! In any case, They Live is a good movie, but I still think it feels quite 80's (not that there's anything wrong with that at all), which is why I said that it surprised me that Jungle Ground came out seven years later, as it doesn't seem so far removed culturally from the year that They Live was made (1988).

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/17/14 at 12:53 am

I'll have to read it (or at least listen to the podcast you linked to)! In any case, They Live is a good movie, but I still think it feels quite 80's (not that there's anything wrong with that at all), which is why I said that it surprised me that Jungle Ground came out seven years later, as it doesn't seem so far removed culturally from the year that They Live was made (1988).

No podcast, just an article about the author and the full text of the short story.  Take ya 10-15 minutes, tops.  Worth a read especially if you enjoyed the movie.  Nite!

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/17/14 at 1:11 am

No podcast, just an article about the author and the full text of the short story.  Take ya 10-15 minutes, tops.  Worth a read especially if you enjoyed the movie.  Nite!

I saw that there was a link to an audio reading of the story, but I couldn't find a link to the short story itself in text. Anyway, I'll be sure to check it out in some form or another. Night!

Written By: 1993 on 06/26/14 at 10:45 am

87-91 is when I would peg the release day without knowing better

the fact that it was probably low budget adds to it's dated feel.

Written By: Jquar on 06/27/14 at 3:44 am

Yeah, does not look like the mid 90s. Just look at the cars - some look even older than the late 80s.

There were still a lot of late 70s and early 80s cars on the road in 1995. 

You also notice the switch over from these old police cars to the newer models in action movies around that time

http://zorgomatic.free.fr/usa/34%20salem%20police%20car.jpg

Written By: DemiLover89 on 06/30/14 at 6:00 pm

I was ten or 11 when this came out. My babysitter dragged me to it--I hated it!
8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/14 at 8:58 pm

It is define half a year older than when the topic was originated.

Check for new replies or respond here...