inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Portlandia get the 90s Right?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/31/14 at 11:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg

Subject: Re: Did Portlandia get the 90s Right?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/01/14 at 2:09 am

From watching ALOT of 90s music videos and TV shows:

0:29-0:31 "Piercings and tribal tattoos" isn't that 2000s and not 90s?

0:45-0:48 A group shot, it looks like mid 90s britpop fashion (such as blur, oasis, and the verve).

1:25-1:26  "all the hot girls wear glasses" is this true? I presume not late 90s.

2:54 dress, tights, flannel shirt; looks very 90s indeed.

2:58 fake facial piercings; perhaps the edgier girls maybe, but were the 90s "edgy" and less "conservative"?

P.S. - Al Gore is a terrible tipper, the Clintons tipped well but they were on vacation and they were in a good mood, the Backstreet Boys were apparently nice and were good tippers, LeAnn Rimes was sweet and a good tipper, and Michael Jordan is a horrible person and a non-existent tipper but Charles Barkley is the polar opposite and he tips generously!

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 4:23 pm

Piercings and tattoos were very common in 90s alternative culture, so was having crazy, dyed hair.

Written By: valyriansteele on 08/14/14 at 8:08 pm

Piercings and tattoos were very common in 90s alternative culture, so was having crazy, dyed hair.

I think the difference was that you didn't have nearly as many otherwise conventional people with a ton of tattoos in the 90s. It was starting to become that way but not like today. I never even saw a gauge piercing for example until 2007.

Check for new replies or respond here...