inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1's '90s music ranked year by year

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/19/14 at 8:06 am

Clearly, do you really think the second half of the '90s are better than the first like VH1 indicates?

For those who don't mind reading it through, the ranking is:

1. 1995
2. 1999
3. 1997
4. 1998
5. 1996
6. 1994
7. 1992
8. 1993
9. 1990
10. 1991

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-08-12/the-90s-ranked/

I can't believe that 1991 was ranked at the bottom despite being Nirvana's breakthrough, some great dance/R&B, and the songs were quite melodic. 1999 should be near the bottom due to that awful boy band/emergence of bling-type rap. They also lead you to believe that New Jack Swing peaked in the mid-90s when in reality it peaked around 1989-92.

BTW, speaking of VH1 and the '90s, while looking through some random VHS tapes, I found one with a block of VH1 programming from 1993. It contained a mix of current songs (no rap or heavy dance) along with some older '70s/'80s videos.

Subject: Re: VH1's '90s music ranked year by year

Written By: Visor765 on 08/19/14 at 2:15 pm

I agree with 1995, but the rest could be rearranged. Nirvana is mentioned in 1992 because that's when grunge broke into the mainstream. The second half has more upbeat music to me, but the first half is still good. When it comes to the 80s, i think the first half is definitely better.

Written By: Jquar on 08/19/14 at 7:35 pm

In terms of impactful album releases, the 1991-1997 period had the highest number of critically acclaimed albums.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/

I generally agree with the rankings on that site.

I think the two ends of the 1990s were the worst. 1990 and 1999 both had lots of crappy pop music and relatively few big albums.

Written By: XYkid on 08/21/14 at 1:21 am

1992 should at least be in top 3, it was one of the most changing years in music.
How the hell is 1990 above 1991? 1990 was one of the worst years in music in recent history.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/22/14 at 11:32 am

I do think that the second half of the 90s is subject to more nostalgia than the first half.  This is because of the large presence of Millennials who were kids then.  It seems like a lot of nostalgia is now driven by childhood things and not by teenage things.  It seems like the childhood things of the 90s are subject to more nostalgia today, like Nickelodeon, Fresh Prince, Backstreet Boys, Nintendo 64, and such. 

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/24/14 at 12:59 am

I do think that the second half of the 90s is subject to more nostalgia than the first half.  This is because of the large presence of Millennials who were kids then.  It seems like a lot of nostalgia is now driven by childhood things and not by teenage things.  It seems like the childhood things of the 90s are subject to more nostalgia today, like Nickelodeon, Fresh Prince, Backstreet Boys, Nintendo 64, and such.

This is very accurate. I think every decade pretty much has a "swing" towards the later part, just because there'll always be more people who remember it (even if the more iconic pop culture tends to come out in the earlier half).

Yeah, I've thought about that too, how nostalgia is very childhood driven in recent years, maybe just because there was pretty much a total mass media by the late 90s (save for social networking and smartphones) and just more pop culture for kids to be exposed to. It's almost impossible not to, unless a kid is from some super strict right-wing religious Phelps family environment or something! It's very very rare to hear anyone saying things like "Oh I was only 7!" as an excuse not to know about or to like something.

Even if the cooler 80s-like or old school grunge era 90s is more forgotten in favor of the teenpop late 90s, I do think it's cool that younger people tend to care about the era they were born in or were younger kids in.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/24/14 at 12:18 pm

This is very accurate. I think every decade pretty much has a "swing" towards the later part, just because there'll always be more people who remember it (even if the more iconic pop culture tends to come out in the earlier half).

Yeah, I've thought about that too, how nostalgia is very childhood driven in recent years, maybe just because there was pretty much a total mass media by the late 90s (save for social networking and smartphones) and just more pop culture for kids to be exposed to. It's almost impossible not to, unless a kid is from some super strict right-wing religious Phelps family environment or something! It's very very rare to hear anyone saying things like "Oh I was only 7!" as an excuse not to know about or to like something.

Even if the cooler 80s-like or old school grunge era 90s is more forgotten in favor of the teenpop late 90s, I do think it's cool that younger people tend to care about the era they were born in or were younger kids in.

I wouldn't say every decade. The 80s weren't like that. As a matter of fact, whenever people think of the 80s, they think of the first half. This included Footloose (both the song and the movie), Flashdance (again, the same), Like A Virgin, Physical, Don't You Want Me, Whip It, 867-5309/Jenny, Off-the-shoulder tops, leg warmers, designer jeans, Dynasty, Miami Vice, and the likes. The 80s had a good amount of kid stuff, but the most memorable pop culture was teen and young adult oriented.

Even the 70s were more kid oriented than the 80s, similar to the 90s. Heck, they had a song called "Disco Duck" which was released in 1976 and hit #1! The most successful song of the 1960s on the Billboard Hot 100 was The Twist, which hit #1 in both 1960 and 1962. It is the most successful song on the American charts of all time.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/24/14 at 12:19 pm

I think 1995 and 1997 are the best years of the 90s music, with 1994 in third place.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/24/14 at 3:08 pm

My only issue is people born around 94 and 95 try to claim their childhood was the exact same as mine. They tend to discount my memories of the early 90s and seem to think everything was the exact same from 1991-1999.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/25/14 at 3:53 pm

My only issue is people born around 94 and 95 try to claim their childhood was the exact same as mine. They tend to discount my memories of the early 90s and seem to think everything was the exact same from 1991-1999.

True. "90s kid" does not equal "90s kid". There were kids in the late 80s-early 90s, early 90s-late 90s (like I was), and late 90s-early 2000s. Every era was a little bit different, but everybody could be considered a 90s kid.

I tend not to call myself a "90s kid" because this term is just to superficial and unclear. My childhood took roughly place between 1989 and 1998, and that's it.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/25/14 at 5:29 pm

I wouldn't say every decade. The 80s weren't like that. As a matter of fact, whenever people think of the 80s, they think of the first half. This included Footloose (both the song and the movie), Flashdance (again, the same), Like A Virgin, Physical, Don't You Want Me, Whip It, 867-5309/Jenny, Off-the-shoulder tops, leg warmers, designer jeans, Dynasty, Miami Vice, and the likes. The 80s had a good amount of kid stuff, but the most memorable pop culture was teen and young adult oriented.

Oh I agree. :) I actually meant there's always a higher number of people who remember the later part of a decade, so some people might call themselves "80s/90s kids" etc even if they only had a partial experience. Yeah the mid 1982-mid 1987 era was the on fire, electric, new wave 80s no doubt. That's the part I always liked the best, even if I remember the late 80s better I never thought it was quite as good, like with the beginnings of hip hop culture.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/25/14 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, that annoys me too just because the first half of the 90s was so much cooler. :) I mean yeah, anything is better than nothing (even if its just the kid stuff or a few pop hits from 98-99) but it makes me sad how the early and even mid 90s is totally forgotten, and they cram the entire 90s into 1999.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/25/14 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, that annoys me too just because the first half of the 90s was so much cooler. :) I mean yeah, anything is better than nothing (even if its just the kid stuff or a few pop hits from 98-99) but it makes me sad how the early and even mid 90s is totally forgotten, and they cram the entire 90s into 1999.

Hey, I was born in 1995 and I don't do that at all! As a matter of fact, it seems to me that all of my peers seem to be obsessed with the year 1994; with artists such as Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Ace of Base, and the likes.  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/14 at 11:44 pm

I'm with Visor765, I would never do that either, especially how I remember gangsta rap, SNES, N64, 90s R&B, 90s sitcoms, 90s movies, cartoons and more. Yes, I remember the teen pop era, but I definitely remember more than that.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 1:00 am

Hey, I was born in 1995 and I don't do that at all! As a matter of fact, it seems to me that all of my peers seem to be obsessed with the year 1994; with artists such as Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Ace of Base, and the likes.  8)

I'm with Visor765, I would never do that either, especially how I remember gangsta rap, SNES, N64, 90s R&B, 90s sitcoms, 90s movies, cartoons and more. Yes, I remember the teen pop era, but I definitely remember more than that.

Oh no worries guys!! I actually notice it most with gals born in the early 90s who's first favorite music was teenpop and boy bands. One of my good female friends (90) often says how much she likes the 90s but all she ever mentions is crap like Britney from 1999. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/14 at 1:41 am

Oh no worries guys!! I actually notice it most with gals born in the early 90s who's first favorite music was teenpop and boy bands. One of my good female friends (90) often says how much she likes the 90s but all she ever mentions is crap like Britney from 1999. ;D
Really? How does she only remember teen pop and boy bands when she was 9 in 1999? There should be more she can remember. I've watched YouTube videos with mostly girls doing these 90s kid tags/surveys and some were born in the early 90s. Not only do they remember teen pop and boy bands, they also even remember the movies, TV shows, cartoons, video games, main 90s music, and the toys they played with during the 90s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/26/14 at 2:01 am

I can actually understand this. 9 is not that old and if you don't care about music at an earlier age, that's probably normal. I was 9 in 1995 and I think I only know some earlier music because of my older sister. Lots of people also think they remember some music from a time when they were younger, but they have actually listened to it later... and you can't count this as first hand memories. The same goes for reruns of TV shows etc. I have also noticed people mentioning early 90s toys like the Game Boy or the Super Nintendo and that they were so 90s, playing with them actually in the late 90s/early 00s. That's not the same IMO.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 6:01 am

Really? How does she only remember teen pop and boy bands when she was 9 in 1999? There should be more she can remember. I've watched YouTube videos with mostly girls doing these 90s kid tags/surveys and some were born in the early 90s. Not only do they remember teen pop and boy bands, they also even remember the movies, TV shows, cartoons, video games, main 90s music, and the toys they played with during the 90s.

I'll ask sometime, but I think she mildly likes some TV shows and definitely some movies from the mid or even early 90s (93-96) and a little bit of music from 97-98, but maybe I'm just biased since "nineties music" to me means Offspring, Smashmouth, Nirvana, Third Eye Blind, Wallflowers, early Green Day, Metallica's black album etc. especially anything with an alternative rock slant.

I can actually understand this. 9 is not that old and if you don't care about music at an earlier age, that's probably normal. I was 9 in 1995 and I think I only know some earlier music because of my older sister. Lots of people also think they remember some music from a time when they were younger, but they have actually listened to it later... and you can't count this as first hand memories. The same goes for reruns of TV shows etc. I have also noticed people mentioning early 90s toys like the Game Boy or the Super Nintendo and that they were so 90s, playing with them actually in the late 90s/early 00s. That's not the same IMO.

Yeah it's iffy when you think about getting into stuff secondhand, which lots of people do without even knowing it. I guess if its within a few years its close enough to count, but discovering 1991 stuff in 2001 obviously wouldn't, lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/14 at 7:49 pm

I'll ask sometime, but I think she mildly likes some TV shows and definitely some movies from the mid or even early 90s (93-96) and a little bit of music from 97-98, but maybe I'm just biased since "nineties music" to me means Offspring, Smashmouth, Nirvana, Third Eye Blind, Wallflowers, early Green Day, Metallica's black album etc. especially anything with an alternative rock slant.
Yeah, 90s music might mean something different to her especially how you said she remembers teen pop, but not the other genres. I think she can remember the 90s mainstream music, but it would depend on the genre she listened to back then.

That depends on how young you are talking. there are some people who remember the songs playing when they were 4, 5, and 6. Not every show kids watched in the 90s was a re-run. Last, the SNES and Game Boy were also popular in the mid 90s, so kids just couldnt have played them in the late 90s/early 00s.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/14 at 8:13 pm

I basically loved 1996 to 1998 when it came to music.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 11:20 pm

Yeah, 90s music might mean something different to her especially how you said she remembers teen pop, but not the other genres. I think she can remember the 90s mainstream music, but it would depend on the genre she listened to back then.

Very true. I guess there's also a difference between stuff you love and remember crystal clearly, and other stuff you might just peripherally remember. I'm sure there were quite a few little kids (i.e. under 8 or 10) who liked alternative pop/rock, but I wonder if that was more aimed at the middle school/high school crowd?

Even though I didn't talk with them as much, I do remember the freshmen b. 1985 when I was a senior, and lots of them were metalheads/goths and liked the edgy music of the time (i.e. Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Slipknot), which seems a world away despite only being 5 years older than my friend.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/14 at 11:29 pm

Very true. I guess there's also a difference between stuff you love and remember crystal clearly, and other stuff you might just peripherally remember. I'm sure there were quite a few little kids (i.e. under 8 or 10) who liked alternative pop/rock, but I wonder if that was more aimed at the middle school/high school crowd?

Even though I didn't talk with them as much, I do remember the freshmen b. 1985 when I was a senior, and lots of them were metalheads/goths and liked the edgy music of the time (i.e. Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Slipknot), which seems a world away despite only being 5 years older than my friend.
There were. Little kids in the 90s were more likely to listen to anything (Rap/hip-hop, Alternative/Rock, Teen Pop, Country, Dance Music, AC, and Heavy Metal). I think the Atl-Rock was aimed at middle and high schoolers as Rock was huge in the 90s. When the freshmen b. 1985 were in high school, did they listen to Nu-metal?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/27/14 at 3:35 am

There were. Little kids in the 90s were more likely to listen to anything (Rap/hip-hop, Alternative/Rock, Teen Pop, Country, Dance Music, AC, and Heavy Metal). I think the Atl-Rock was aimed at middle and high schoolers as Rock was huge in the 90s. When the freshmen b. 1985 were in high school, did they listen to Nu-metal?

I think so too. I think of circa 1976-1986 borns as the main 90s alt rock demographic. I wasn't around the Freshmen as much except for a couple mixed age classes, and I remember this one girl was a huge Hot Topic goth chick, lol. The only nu metal was Creed and stuff back in 99/00 but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

A few years later as I started working with people a little bit younger than me, I did notice most mid 80s borns tended to still be rock fans (alternative, metal, post grunge, punk etc). I had trouble (not personally, but pop culturally and musically) relating to anyone born after 1987 for awhile, probably since more were rap or pop fans.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/27/14 at 7:38 pm

1999 was the worst year of the 90s IMO. It was wonderful up through summer 1998 which was one of the best summers of my life. Then late 1998 came in and things changed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/27/14 at 8:29 pm

I think so too. I think of circa 1976-1986 borns as the main 90s alt rock demographic. I wasn't around the Freshmen as much except for a couple mixed age classes, and I remember this one girl was a huge Hot Topic goth chick, lol. The only nu metal was Creed and stuff back in 99/00 but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

A few years later as I started working with people a little bit younger than me, I did notice most mid 80s borns tended to still be rock fans (alternative, metal, post grunge, punk etc). I had trouble (not personally, but pop culturally and musically) relating to anyone born after 1987 for awhile, probably since more were rap or pop fans.
Is there still Atl Rock today, but in a different form?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/28/14 at 4:27 am

Is there still Atl Rock today, but in a different form?

Hmm, I'd say the indie bands like Imagine Dragons, or mainstream pop rock like Maroon 5 are the closest, but they're like 90% pop and 10% real rock (still anything's better than nothing!).

I honestly think today's pop music, even the autotune stuff, could sound amazing if it was equally blended with rock the way that 80s pop was - i.e. The Cars, Huey Lewis, Def Leppard, and The Police seem like half pop/dance and half rock.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/02/14 at 12:07 pm

1999 was the worst year of the 90s IMO. It was wonderful up through summer 1998 which was one of the best summers of my life. Then late 1998 came in and things changed.

In your personal life or in terms of music?

Written By: 1993 on 09/03/14 at 12:04 pm

I would actually consider 1995 to be among the weakest, if not THE weakest year for 90's music. I would rank it (top 5 at least) I hate R&B so 1995 did nothing for me.

1. 1991
2. 1994
3. 1998
4. 1997
5. 1990

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/15/14 at 6:43 am

1992 should at least be in top 3, it was one of the most changing years in music.
How the hell is 1990 above 1991? 1990 was one of the worst years in music in recent history.

I agree, my list goes like this:

Written By: Visor765 on 09/15/14 at 9:23 am

My list:

1. 1997
2. 1995
3. 1996
4. 1998
5. 1999 & 1994 (tie)
7. 1990
8. 1992
9. 1991
10. 1993

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/15/14 at 10:12 am

My list:

1. 1997
2. 1995
3. 1996
4. 1998
5. 1999 & 1994 (tie)
7. 1990
8. 1992
9. 1991
10. 1993

It's good to see 1993 at number 10 on the list. I still hate that year to this day.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/07/17 at 3:30 am

I know it's an old post now, but this is how I would personally rank the years:

1. 1995
2. 1991
3. 1994
4. 1996
5. 1992
6. 1993
7. 1998
8. 1999
9. 1997
10. 1990

I can't fault with VH1's claim of 1995 being the best '90s music year. Personally, I like quite a number of songs which were released in 1995, such as "Betterman", "Some Might Say", "Comedown" and "When I Come Around", to name a few.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/07/17 at 7:12 am

I know it's an old post now, but this is how I would personally rank the years:

1. 1995
2. 1991
3. 1994
4. 1996
5. 1992
6. 1993
7. 1998
8. 1999
9. 1997
10. 1990

I can't fault with VH1's claim of 1995 being the best '90s music year. Personally, I like quite a number of songs which were released in 1995, such as "Betterman", "Some Might Say", "Comedown" and "When I Come Around", to name a few.

"When I Come Around" is from 1994 and so is "Comedown," though the album the latter song is on was released late in the year.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/07/17 at 8:22 am

"When I Come Around" is from 1994 and so is "Comedown," though the album the latter song is on was released late in the year.

"Comedown" was released as a single in September 1995, but you're right though, the album was released at the end of 1994. To be honest, I often mistake "When I Come Around" as a 1995 song, because the single itself was released in January of that year and it also peaked on the charts in Early 1995.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/07/17 at 8:31 am

"Comedown" was released as a single in September 1995, but you're right though, the album was released at the end of 1994. To be honest, I often mistake "When I Come Around" as a 1995 song, because the single itself was released in January of that year and it also peaked on the charts in Early 1995.

"When I Come Around" was already very popular in 1994 even though it peaked on the charts in early 95.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/07/17 at 11:54 am

I'd rank the 90s as this:

1. 1995
2. 1994
3. 1996
4. 1997
5. 1999
6. 1998
7. 1993
8. 1992
9. 1990
10. 1991

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/07/17 at 12:02 pm

I'd rank the 90s as this:

1. 1995
2. 1994
3. 1996
4. 1997
5. 1999
6. 1998
7. 1993
8. 1992
9. 1990
10. 1991

I see that you hate early '90s music...;D.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/07/17 at 12:11 pm

I see that you hate early '90s music...;D.

I don't hate it, I just think it's overall weaker than mid and late 90s music. There was an excess of tracks with cheap or hyperkinetic beats that occasionally came off as flatly peppy instead of grounded and soulful like what was to follow. Even with the initial rise of grunge, rock was also mostly forgettable, being dominated mostly by worn out late 80s holdover acts as opposed to the fresh, inventive, and eclectic styles that started to sprout up around late 1993.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/07/17 at 12:31 pm

I don't hate it, I just think it's overall weaker than mid and late 90s music. There was an excess of tracks with cheap or hyperkinetic beats that occasionally came off as flatly peppy instead of grounded and soulful like what was to follow. Even with the initial rise of grunge, rock was also mostly forgettable, being dominated mostly by worn out late 80s holdover acts as opposed to the fresh, inventive, and eclectic styles that started to sprout up around late 1993.

i know, i was just being a little dramatic/exaggerating.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/08/17 at 8:19 pm

I generally agree. To be fair, the only reason why I rank 1991 so highly, is because of the releases of albums such as Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind and one or two rock tracks which I also like. I have never been a fan of the New-Jack Swing or gangsta-rap which was popular at the time and as you somewhat touched on, pop music still had much to be desired as well.

In my opinion, this is probably one of the worst songs to have come out during the Early 90s. "Sucker DJ" by American rapper, Dimples D.  8-P I don't think it charted in the US, but it reached #17 on the UK charts and surprisingly, it was #1 in Australia for two weeks in Early 1991. I honestly don't know how this song succeeded as well as it did!

Dimples D. - Sucker DJ (1990)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 8:26 pm

I generally agree. To be fair, the only reason why I rank 1991 so highly, is because of the releases of albums such as Pearl Jam's Ten, Nirvana's Nevermind and one or two rock tracks which I also like. I have never been a fan of the New-Jack Swing or gangsta-rap which was popular at the time and as you somewhat touched on, pop music still had much to be desired as well.

In my opinion, this is probably one of the worst songs to have come out during the Early 90s. "Sucker DJ" by American rapper, Dimples D.  8-P I don't think it charted in the US, but it reached #17 on the UK charts and surprisingly, it was #1 in Australia for two weeks in Early 1991. I honestly don't know how this song succeeded as well as it did!

Dimples D. - Sucker DJ (1990)

For me, I like New Jack Swing and Gangsta rap. Yes, there was cheesy songs in the early '90s but definitely not as cheesy as the late '90s (especially late 1998-1999).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 11:29 pm

I am very surprised on how 1999 is ranked number 2.

If I were a teen in 1999 instead of a newborn who wasn't born until August, I wouldn't like a lot of the popular stuff from that year (Britney was the epitome of popular music that year, and I don't like her stuff at all).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:37 pm

If I were a teen in 1999 instead of a newborn who wasn't born until August, I wouldn't like a lot of the popular stuff from that year (Britney was the epitome of popular music that year, and I don't like her stuff at all).

I was born about a month before you (mid July) and I agree. I don't really like the teen pop music of the late '90s, especially from 1998 and 1999.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/08/17 at 11:45 pm

I was born about a month before you (mid July) and I agree. I don't really like the teen pop music of the late '90s, especially from 1998 and 1999.

I thought that 1997 and 1998 still had a few gems. I liked some alt-pop from those years like Sugar Ray and Third Eye Blind for example. Eurodance was still popular in 1997 too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/17 at 11:53 pm

I thought that 1997 and 1998 still had a few gems. I liked some alt-pop from those years like Sugar Ray and Third Eye Blind for example. Eurodance was still popular in 1997 too.

Of course yes there a some gems. But cheesy teen pop and Latin pop dominated the late '90s music charts. In 1998, you also had the cheesy but catchy Will Smith songs like "Miami" and "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and in 1997 you had The Notorious B.I.G.'s album "Life After Death" but overall the late '90s were my least favorite years in '90s music.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/09/17 at 12:19 am

I agree. Personally, I believe the overall standard of pop music dropped in the Late 90s. You went from artists such as Pearl Jam, Oasis and Alanis Morrisette  in 1996, to artists such as Aqua, Hanson and the Backstreet Boys in the space of just one year. I know that it's all subjective, but that's a significant drop in quality if you ask me.

As for 1999, I only like a few songs which were released that year and most of them were from bands who had releases in the Mid 90s. Otherwise, i'm not bothered about songs released in 1999 at all.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/13/17 at 1:31 am

I finished listening to a Top-50 90's Rock Vinyl Countdown on a radio station about half an hour ago. Even though we all have our favourite years for 90s music in particular, you just don't realise how solid and of high quality the music from the 90s truly is, until you listen to an album countdown such as that. It's truly amazing what was released within the space of those nine years and that was just for rock music! After listening to the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alanis Morrisette and The Offspring during the countdown, it really emphasizes how mainstream music has deteriorated so much ever since.

In case you're interested, the link to the countdown I listened to is below. Listeners of the station voted for and decided which albums were included in the Top 50 countdown. Also, the list on the website is a bit deceiving. The songs on the bottom of the list (#45-#50) are actually from the Top-5 voted albums of the 90s. The songs represent the albums as well. It probably doesn't come as a surprise that Nirvana's Nevermind was voted as the best rock album of the 90s.  ;)

https://www.triplem.com.au/music/news/generation-90s-countdown

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/17 at 1:45 am

For me, 1995 and 1997 were the best years.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/17 at 1:57 am

The 90's was like a buffet. There was everything. You had rock, hip hop, gangsta rap, grunge, teen pop, New jack swing, acoustic music, country,  divas like Celine, Whitney, etc, etc, boy bands, ballads, etc, etc, etc.

It was too good to be true. The party couldn't last forever.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 9:22 am

I finished listening to a Top-50 90's Rock Vinyl Countdown on a radio station about half an hour ago. Even though we all have our favourite years for 90s music in particular, you just don't realise how solid and of high quality the music from the 90s truly is, until you listen to an album countdown such as that. It's truly amazing what was released within the space of those nine years and that was just for rock music! After listening to the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alanis Morrisette and The Offspring during the countdown, it really emphasizes how mainstream music has deteriorated so much ever since.

In case you're interested, the link to the countdown I listened to is below. Listeners of the station voted for and decided which albums were included in the Top 50 countdown. Also, the list on the website is a bit deceiving. The songs on the bottom of the list (#45-#50) are actually from the Top-5 voted albums of the 90s. The songs represent the albums as well. It probably doesn't come as a surprise that Nirvana's Nevermind was voted as the best rock album of the 90s.  ;)

https://www.triplem.com.au/music/news/generation-90s-countdown

That's awesome. Just one little nitpick....every decade has 10 years NOT 9.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 9:23 am

The 90's was like a buffet. There was everything. You had rock, hip hop, gangsta rap, grunge, teen pop, New jack swing, acoustic music, country,  divas like Celine, Whitney, etc, etc, boy bands, ballads, etc, etc, etc.

It was too good to be true. The party couldn't last forever.  :o

That is so true but so sad at the same time. Also, don't forget Mariah.....;).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/28/17 at 10:45 pm

I was reading through this thread not long ago and although I did rank the years earlier in the thread, this is how I would personally rank the years now;

1. 1994
2. 1991
3. 1995
4. 1993
5. 1996
6. 1997
7. 1999
8. 1992
9. 1998
10. 1990

1990 would have to be one of my least favourite years for music and popular culture in general. I hate the fact that it's even associated with the '90s, in all honesty.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/28/17 at 10:47 pm

1990 would have to be one of my least favourite years for music and popular culture in general. I hate the fact that it's even associated with the '90s, in all honesty.

Why?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/28/17 at 11:58 pm

Why?

Hello....SharksFan99?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 12:05 am

Why?

I personally think that 1990 was an uninspiring and lacklustre time for music. A lot of the songs released in 1990 were quite cheesy, with songs such as "Ice Ice Baby", "Groove Is In The Heart", "Sucker DJ" and "Cherry Pie". Rock music was also in an ordinary state in 1990 and while the genre was far from dead, it's future wasn't too promising at the time. To me, 1990 just seems like a stale, watered-down version of the late 1980s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 12:08 am

I personally think that 1990 was an uninspiring and lacklustre time for music. A lot of the songs released in 1990 were quite cheesy, with songs such as "Ice Ice Baby", "Groove Is In The Heart", "Sucker DJ" and "Cherry Pie". Rock music was also in an ordinary state in 1990 and while the genre was far from dead, it's future wasn't too promising at the time. To me, 1990 just seems like a stale, watered-down version of the late 1980s.

Oh OK....I understand. A lot of people don't like 1990 when it comes to music because of the cheesiness. I actually like most of that cheese and ironically....my least favorite year for 1990s music is our birth year (1999).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 12:21 am

Oh OK....I understand. A lot of people don't like 1990 when it comes to music because of the cheesiness. I actually like most of that cheese and ironically....my least favorite year for 1990s music is our birth year (1999).

I'm generally not a fan of most music released in 1999 either, however I do admittedly like a few songs that were released during our birth year. Although teen-pop, latino-pop and nu-metal may have been the dominant genres in 1999, music wasn't entirely bad IMO. Here are a few songs that I like which were released in 1999;

* "Learn To Fly" by Foo Fighters
* "Take a Picture" by Filter
* "Higher" by Creed
* "Push It" by Static-X
* "She's so High" by Tal Bachman
* Silverchair's "Neon Ballroom" album.
* "Deeper Water" by Deadstar.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 12:24 am

I'm generally not a fan of most music released in 1999 either, however I do admittedly like a few songs that were released during our birth year. Although teen-pop, latino-pop and nu-metal may have been the dominant genres in 1999, music wasn't entirely bad IMO. Here are a few songs that I like which were released in 1999;

* "Learn To Fly" by Foo Fighters
* "Take a Picture" by Filter
* "Higher" by Creed
* "Push It" by Static-X
* "She's so High" by Tal Bachman
* Silverchair's "Neon Ballroom" album.
* "Deeper Water" by Deadstar.

Oh yeah of course....every year has it's gems but overall....I don't like 1999 when it comes to music. Out of the songs you listed, I know of the Foo Fighters song and the Creed song but not the others.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/17 at 12:27 am

Oh yeah of course....every year has it's gems but overall....I don't like 1999 when it comes to music. Out of the songs you listed, I know of the Foo Fighters song and the Creed song but not the others.

I personally love 1999 for music, but that's because I'm a lot more embracing of cheesy, lighthearted pop than most of y'all, so actually flat-out love stuff like "Mambo No. 5," Vitamin C's "Smile," "S Club Party," "(You Drive Me) Crazy," "All Star," and the ilk.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 12:31 am

I personally love 1999 for music, but that's because I'm a lot more embracing of cheesy, lighthearted pop than most of y'all, so actually flat-out love stuff like "Mambo No. 5," Vitamin C's "Smile," "S Club Party," "(You Drive Me) Crazy," "All Star," and the ilk.

"All Star" and "Mambo No. 5" are gems. I haven't heard of the others though.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/17 at 12:33 am

"All Star" and "Mambo No. 5" are gems. I haven't heard of the others though.

They're more squarely in that girly, bubble gummy category that will either tickle your fancy or annoy the crap out of you. Their effect on me personally is very much the former, due to my personality, I guess.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 12:35 am

Even though liking certain songs ultimately comes down to people's individual taste in music, I think nostalgia can play a role in liking something or not as well. I don't know if nostalgia is partly the reason why you like the cheesy, light-hearted pop from the Y2K era, but if it is, then I can completely understand why you would be more embracing of it. You were 7 years old in 1999, so the music of the time probably brings back fond memories for you and it would be why you are more accepting of it. I feel the same way about a lot of songs released in the Late 2000s, even though I didn't particularly like the songs at the time and most of them are from genres of music i'm not even fond of! 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 12:36 am

They're more squarely in that girly, bubble gummy category that will either tickle your fancy or annoy the crap out of you. Their effect on me personally is very much the former, due to my personality, I guess.

There are a few girly, bubble gum pop songs that I find to be decent to good....but overall, it's not my cup of tea.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/17 at 12:41 am

Even though liking certain songs ultimately comes down to people's individual taste in music, I think nostalgia can play a role in liking something or not as well. I don't know if nostalgia is partly the reason why you like the cheesy, light-hearted pop from the Y2K era, but if it is, then I can completely understand why you would be more embracing of it. You were 7 years old in 1999, so the music of the time probably brings back fond memories for you and it would be why you are more accepting of it. I feel the same way about a lot of songs released in the Late 2000s, even though I didn't particularly like the songs at the time and most of them are from genres of music i'm not even fond of!

I was mostly exposed to teen pop during the early 2000s, first when my sister was obsessed with Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, then later when I started collecting the American Now albums, my sister had the Princess Diaries soundtrack blasting in our car, and finally when my discovery of S Club 7 on Now 7 reminded my sister of how much she liked the group and show, leading to her getting my dad to buy their first and last albums off the then-young iTunes. However, my love of late 90s and early 2000s bubblegum pop has really exploded for me personally over the past few years, since they're such a relieving contrast to the mundane dribble of today and I'm old enough now that I don't care how uncool my favorite songs and albums are.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/29/17 at 12:54 am

However, my love of late 90s and early 2000s bubblegum pop has really exploded for me personally over the past few years, since they're such a relieving contrast to the mundane dribble of today and I'm old enough now that I don't care how uncool my favorite songs and albums are.

Interesting to hear. I have had a similar experience and I feel much the same way, however in regards to Grunge music instead of teen-pop. My parents have always been a fan of the alternative rock scene of the 90s and because they rarely listened to the radio when I was growing up (primarily due to how much popular music declined in the 2000s), I was heavily exposed to bands such as Pearl Jam, Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Garbage and The Smashing Pumpkins. I've had an interest in the genre since a young age, however it wasn't until early last year that I really started to get back into grunge/alternative rock again.

By Early 2016, I was so dissatisfied with the then current state of music and popular culture, that I started to seek out music released prior to the Early 2000s. It was such a relief to once again regularly listen to music that was not only creative and innovative, but very authentic as well.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/17 at 12:58 am

By Early 2016, I was so dissatisfied with the then current state of music and popular culture, that I started to seek out music released prior to the Early 2000s. It was such a relief to once again regularly listen to music that was not only creative and innovative, but very authentic as well.

Oh, tell me all about it. Retro bands and singers really breath colour into my world where there'd otherwise be little to none.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/29/17 at 9:59 am

Just like the 00s topic, it was difficult because I actually also enjoy most of the music from the decade as well including grunge and excluding country.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/02/17 at 2:21 am

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for disliking 1990?

Personally I think 1990 was an uninspiring time for music and the quality was subpar in comparison with other '90s years.

Written By: aja675 on 07/02/17 at 11:46 am

Same, even though I was 3.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/02/17 at 11:55 am

I don't believe that I actually ranked the '90s. FYI, CNN is coming out with a retrospective seven-part documentary of the 1990s starting on July 9th (this is apart of a series they are doing on the decades since the 1960s).

Here is my '90s music rank by year:

1. 1995
2. 1993
3. 1996
4. 1992
5. 1991
6. 1994
7. 1997
8. 1990
9. 1998
10. 1999

I don't hate any year of the 1990s when it comes to music but as I have said before 1999 is not too much to my liking when it comes to popular music, in general.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/02/17 at 3:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for disliking 1990?

Personally I think 1990 was an uninspiring time for music and the quality was subpar in comparison with other '90s years.
nothing personally. I like the music from every year of this decade. The ranking was really difficult.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/02/17 at 6:06 pm

I don't believe that I actually ranked the '90s. FYI, CNN is coming out with a retrospective seven-part documentary of the 1990s starting on July 9th (this is apart of a series they are doing on the decades since the 1960s).

They're still making a miniseries out of those decades? By that point, they'll probably make a 2000s miniseries next year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/02/17 at 6:26 pm

They're still making a miniseries out of those decades? By that point, they'll probably make a 2000s miniseries next year.

Yep...they're still making them. Oh and yes, most likely they will do one about "The Noughties" (2000s) and it'll come out next year (probably).

Check for new replies or respond here...