inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the grunge era end?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/20/14 at 9:44 am

When would you say the Grunge era (both in terms of the music's popularity--and the fashion) came to an end? When did the transition from the retro, flannel, ripped jeans, cheap clothing, long hair on guys look to the short hair, preppy, polo shirt, late '90s/early '00s look happen? When did Grunge die as both a genre and a fashion sense?

Subject: Re: When did the grunge era end?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/20/14 at 10:36 am

Musically, it died in 1994 when Kurt Cobain killed himself and grunge declined. Post-grunge came along in 1995, just look at the charts. You had artists like Bush, Collective Soul (is that their name?), and Alanis Morissette. It exploded in popularity in 1996. Here are the Billboard Hot 100 year-end charts for 1994, 1995, and 1996.

http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1994
http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1995
http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1996

As you can see, 1994 and 1995 are extremely different, but 1996 is not so different from 1995. Post-grunge first appeared in '95 and went mainstream in '96.

Fashion-wise, it started around 1992 and ended around 1998-ish. Watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the grunge clothes became more "clean-cut" by the late 90s, with people wearing blue and yellow plaid western shirts for instance instead of red and green flannel.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/14 at 1:28 pm

I would say between 1995-2000.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/21/14 at 1:27 am

When would you say the Grunge era (both in terms of the music's popularity--and the fashion) came to an end? When did the transition from the retro, flannel, ripped jeans, cheap clothing, long hair on guys look to the short hair, preppy, polo shirt, late '90s/early '00s look happen? When did Grunge die as both a genre and a fashion sense?

Peripherally (if you count the crappy third rate post-grunge bands) not until 2009.  ;D

I actually strongly disagree that it died when Kurt did. Sure, he was their spokesperson, but the Seattle grunge alternative aesthetic was still very present for the rest of the 90s. I think most genres tend to "go soft" or poppier as they age, and there's definitely some pop-oriented grungy songs from 1998 like "Sex and Candy".

I'm not as knowledgeable about fashion as I am with music, but it seems also that, while it wasn't "cool" or cutting edge anymore obviously, people did kinda lightly dress grungy (lumberjack flannel and cargo pants or slightly ripped jeans and stuff) into the early, perhaps even mid 2000s. The more neon, bright colored clothing didn't seem to take off until circa 2006-07.

Interestingly there wasn't a 90s backlash until the very late 00s and I don't think the 90s felt like a distinctly another era, until social networking and at least basic feature cellphones got big.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/14 at 12:29 pm

I would say between 1995-2000.
It took that long for grunge to end?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/14 at 1:21 pm

It took that long for grunge to end?

I don't know what came after that?  ???

Written By: XYkid on 08/22/14 at 3:18 am

Grunge lives on my heart forever

Written By: violet_shy on 03/07/20 at 12:41 pm

I'm going to say Grunge ended in 1996. In the mid 90s, I wore some Grunge fashion. By the time I was a Junior in High school(1996 to 97), it was pretty much over and fashion and music changed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/20 at 1:01 pm

Unfortunately, there are a couple of things from the grunge era fashionwise that somehow assimilated into the mainstream and have not ended to this day. One is the fact that males now wear shorts (long shorts, of course. Which aren't "short" at all), year round in all weather and in all places and circumstances. The other is the wearing of ridiculous wool hats (sometimes now referred to by the juvenile term "beanie"), all year round in hot or cold weather. Whether you know it or not, this stems DIRECTLY from early 90s grunge.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 4:53 pm

The grunge era spanned from 1992 to 1997, but there was an echo to this stage that lasted until 2002 or 2003.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/07/20 at 11:22 pm

From what I've heard, Grunge died out around Late 1996 thanks to newer acts like Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Third Eye Blind, etc. Also with the breakthrough of Teen Pop thanks to Spice Girls & Backstreet Boys in Europe.

However, the last remains of Grunge fashion ended around Late 1998 to Early 1999 according to a few people...

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 03/07/20 at 11:23 pm

I'm going to say Grunge ended in 1996. In the mid 90s, I wore some Grunge fashion. By the time I was a Junior in High school(1996 to 97), it was pretty much over and fashion and music changed.
Wasnt there a shift in Late 1996, where things started to go more Late 90s?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 12:22 am

From what I've heard, Grunge died out around Late 1996 thanks to newer acts like Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Third Eye Blind, etc. Also with the breakthrough of Teen Pop thanks to Spice Girls & Backstreet Boys in Europe.

However, the last remains of Grunge fashion ended around Late 1998 to Early 1999 according to a few people...

My micro-generation learned well from Generation X in the mid 90s about grunge.

The Parkers - S01E05
Kim ignores a student (Eric Winter) who adores her until Nikki gives the grunge poster boy a makeover, but the new Adonis turns the tables on Kim and her superficial affection. Stevie: Jenna Von Oy. T: Ken Lawson. Kim: Countess Vaughn. Nikki: Mo'Nique. Professor Oglevee: Dorien Wilson.
Genre: Comedy
Network: UPN
Air Date: Sep 27, 1999
Directed By: Jeffrey Melman

K-UhsWaxDj4

Off topic, but Jenna Von Oy doesn’t age.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/08/20 at 12:46 am

When Bill Clinton and the Republican Congress killed it in 1996.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 8:42 am

The flannel, ripped jeans, and dirty plain white shirt look that started in 1992 ended sometime in 1995. My micro-generation mainly wore the concert shirts for grunge bands from 1995 to 1996. Grunge was on its way out at the start of late 1990s, but it was more apparent that grunge was a thing of the early to mid 90s in 1997. You rarely saw many Xennials in flannel or grunge band concert shirts in 1998 to 2001 like you did in 1996.

Check for new replies or respond here...