inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1994

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/20/14 at 9:52 am

Is it just me or was 1994 somehow, in some way, a sort of beautiful year, magical?
You had the Lion King rocking the world. Disney was on top of the world and didn't yet begin their late '90s slump. We hadn't entered the 3D era with Toy Story yet.
Grunge was still big and had some big hits that year--Black Hole Sun, for example. The pop music wasn't the plastic mass produced sounds of later in the decade--No Macarena or Back Street Boys, or N'Sync. The Rap music coming out at this time had significance and depth and actually had messages, and you had some classic rap albums that year, such as Ready to Die by Biggie. In Mexico, a young artist named Selena was beginning to get big in the US.

The Eagles made their utterly unexpected and long awaited comeback and put out four awesome new studio songs too. Page and Plant reunited in 1994 too to do Unplugged. The Rolling Stones put out their first album in half a decade to acclaim and hit singles. Yes, and Pink Floyd all made come back records in 1994 as well.

Nirvana had it's last gasp, as did Guns N' Roses--the two titans of earlier in the decade--in 1994. Woodstock came back and this '94 Woodstock went well, and was a massive success.

Gargoyles, Disney's edgy animated series, launched on TV in September 1994. Pulp Fiction came out in theathers and won critical acclaim and commercial success and revived the careers of John Travolta and Bruce Willis, while launching the career of Samuel L. Jackson. Forest Gump came out and touched the hearts of millions.

It just seems like it was a good, peaceful year in retrospect.

Subject: Re: 1994

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/20/14 at 2:59 pm

Hi Rhett. I enjoyed your summary of the highlights of 1994. I just want to make a small clarification. Selena was not from Mexico. She was Texan of Mexican descent and, despite having several songs in Spanish, she barely even knew how to speak it in real life. Nevertheless, she was very popular in Mexico.

Written By: XYkid on 08/21/14 at 1:14 am

And I was born, oh yes a special year indeed. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/14 at 11:59 am

Now this makes the fifth thread on the year 1994...

Check for new replies or respond here...