inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think there will be a Teen-Pop revival in the late 2010s?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/25/14 at 10:39 pm

There was a 70s-inspired disco revival in the mid-late 90s (particularly around 1996-ish), so what's gonna stop a 90s-inspired teen pop revival from happening? I know that teen pop isn't the iconic genre of the decade, the one that people most associate with the 90s, but do you think there could be a revival?

Subject: Re: Do you think there will be a Teen-Pop revival in the late 2010s?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/25/14 at 11:37 pm

If there was teen pop in the late 80s/early 90s, late 90s/early 00s and late 00s/early 10s, then I'm sure it will happen again.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 1:05 am

Speaking of teenpop, it does seem to be fading off now compared to 2010-2013. Everyone knows Bieber is a total douche ;D (in fact, if there's anything good about all the stupid stuff he's done, it's that its really given him a backlash), and while 1D are obviously huge, they haven't had a major hit in a year or so. I actually wonder if they might evolve their sound with their fanbase and stick around though. They're more cleancut and actually seem like nice guys.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/14 at 6:31 am

What exactly do you mean by "revival"? Like groups getting together and making concerts? I'm pretty sure that was happened already.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/14 at 8:13 pm

Maybe not, you never know.

Written By: XYkid on 08/26/14 at 8:59 pm

As long a there are preteen sand teenagers, teen pop will always be around. It just happens to wane in and out of mainstream popularity.
That being said, I might enjoy seeing a revival in late 90s style pop music, as that was the soundtrack of my childhood.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 11:22 pm

As long a there are preteen sand teenagers, teen pop will always be around. It just happens to wane in and out of mainstream popularity.
That being said, I might enjoy seeing a revival in late 90s style pop music, as that was the soundtrack of my childhood.

I was thinking, the late 80s and late 90s teenpop both had something the fairly current (09-13) one lacks: adult contemporary and slower songs, like most of BSB's material. While its not my favorite genre, I'd be cool with it if the next wave had a good mixture of songs like that.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/01/14 at 9:04 am

What exactly do you mean by "revival"? Like groups getting together and making concerts? I'm pretty sure that was happened already.

I mean revival as in a revival in sound. The stomp-clap beats, the synthesizers, and bass. That kind of thing that was common in the late 90s and early 2000s. I'm asking if people will make music that sounds like that again.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/14 at 8:50 am

There was a 70s-inspired disco revival in the mid-late 90s (particularly around 1996-ish), so what's gonna stop a 90s-inspired teen pop revival from happening? I know that teen pop isn't the iconic genre of the decade, the one that people most associate with the 90s, but do you think there could be a revival?

The current teen pop craze with bands like One Direction and 5SOS is as close to a '90s teen pop revival as we are going to get.  Every generation of boy bands is despised by the older teens and twentysomethings who were teens during the previous generation.  Bottom line, if you like One Direction, you probably weren't around for the Backstreet Boys.  If you were and liked them, you probably hate 1D.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/09/14 at 12:49 pm

The current teen pop craze with bands like One Direction and 5SOS is as close to a '90s teen pop revival as we are going to get.  Every generation of boy bands is despised by the older teens and twentysomethings who were teens during the previous generation.  Bottom line, if you like One Direction, you probably weren't around for the Backstreet Boys.  If you were and liked them, you probably hate 1D.

But then there will be a new generation of boy bands to replace them. The Jonas Brothers replaced NSYNC in the late 2000s, so who's to say another boy band won't come along. Fame is fleeting, these people come and go.

It also depends on what you mean by teen pop revival. The late 2000s/early 2010s teen pop revival sounds a lot like the late 80s/early 90s New Kids On the Block era, but not the late 90s/early 00s Backstreet Boys one.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/14 at 9:57 am

But then there will be a new generation of boy bands to replace them. The Jonas Brothers replaced NSYNC in the late 2000s, so who's to say another boy band won't come along. Fame is fleeting, these people come and go.

It also depends on what you mean by teen pop revival. The late 2000s/early 2010s teen pop revival sounds a lot like the late 80s/early 90s New Kids On the Block era, but not the late 90s/early 00s Backstreet Boys one.

The Jonas Brothers never got that much popularity outside of Radio Disney so I wouldn't compare them to groups like *NSYNC, New Kids on the Block, or One Direction.  Likewise, I don't see the late '90s pop sound ever coming back because teen pop is a very fickle fad due to the narrow age group it appeals to.  There may be reunion tours for old has-been bands but that's about as far as its going to go.  Teen pop is targeted to 11-17 year olds at the time its recorded.  Five years down the line, what sells will be much different. Look at what has already happened to Justin Bieber for instance.  In 2010 he was all the rage for pre-teens and teen girls.  Now he's a tabloid joke.  New Kids on the Block tried to make a comeback in 2008 but it was a HUGE flop.  I really can't think of a musical genre more fickle than teen pop.  About the only chance for any artist to make it big long-term is to go solo and older in audience like Justin Timberlake did. 

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 8:11 pm

The Jonas Brothers never got that much popularity outside of Radio Disney so I wouldn't compare them to groups like *NSYNC, New Kids on the Block, or One Direction.  Likewise, I don't see the late '90s pop sound ever coming back because teen pop is a very fickle fad due to the narrow age group it appeals to.  There may be reunion tours for old has-been bands but that's about as far as its going to go.  Teen pop is targeted to 11-17 year olds at the time its recorded.  Five years down the line, what sells will be much different. Look at what has already happened to Justin Bieber for instance.  In 2010 he was all the rage for pre-teens and teen girls.  Now he's a tabloid joke. New Kids on the Block tried to make a comeback in 2008 but it was a HUGE flop. I really can't think of a musical genre more fickle than teen pop.  About the only chance for any artist to make it big long-term is to go solo and older in audience like Justin Timberlake did.
Well they did have 1 Top 40 hit in 2008 but other than that they didn't have any other hit song off of that album.

Check for new replies or respond here...