inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the 90s ever seem 'vintage'?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 12:45 pm

8)

Subject: Re: Will the 90s ever seem 'vintage'?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/05/14 at 5:08 pm

1990-1994 is almost as vintage as it gets.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 5:28 pm

http://geography.colorado.edu/images/grad_student_class_photos/fall_1994.jpg

Here is a picture from fall 1994.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/14 at 7:03 am

http://geography.colorado.edu/images/grad_student_class_photos/fall_1994.jpg

Here is a picture from fall 1994.

the hairstyles look different.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/14 at 10:50 am

the hairstyles look different.

Twenty years, Howard!  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/06/14 at 1:11 pm

Twenty years, Howard!  :o

Now 20 years later, most of them probably have no hair. ;D

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 2:36 am

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, I really don't want it back and it'll feel weird to have it for many more years...simply because they were "around" for SO damn long! Its like they just left. ;D How can you "bring Nirvana back" when post-grunge didn't even go away until like 2009, and The Simpsons and South Park are still on?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 2:57 am

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, I really don't want it back and it'll feel weird to have it for many more years...simply because they were "around" for SO damn long! Its like they just left. ;D How can you "bring Nirvana back" when post-grunge didn't even go away until like 2009, and The Simpsons and South Park are still on?

I agree. 90s culture was strong through 2005 in my opinion. My childhood WAS the 90s and my teenhood was like a watered down 90s!

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 3:07 am

I agree. 90s culture was strong through 2005 in my opinion. My childhood WAS the 90s and my teenhood was like a watered down 90s!

Yep, even up to 2006. :) For so many years even the early 90s felt peripherally close in a way. For example, I had this one co-worker friend I hung out with alot (b 1984) and he usually played this local alternative/skater rock station in his car...and even though he seemed to like current bands, I remember he also liked Nirvana, U2, Metallica etc. because that was always getting played too (he might've known about it from when he was a kid too, idk I never asked).

Now though, it's like even The Killers are just another older band, things like that make me sad and truly miss most of the 00s. Or how there's no more places like Blockbuster and not many bookstores.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 3:33 am

Yep, even up to 2006. :) For so many years even the early 90s felt peripherally close in a way. For example, I had this one co-worker friend I hung out with alot (b 1984) and he usually played this local alternative/skater rock station in his car...and even though he seemed to like current bands, I remember he also liked Nirvana, U2, Metallica etc. because that was always getting played too (he might've known about it from when he was a kid too, idk I never asked).

Now though, it's like even The Killers are just another older band, things like that make me sad and truly miss most of the 00s. Or how there's no more places like Blockbuster and not many bookstores.

One thing I miss is there was a lot more variety. Right now, it seems like all songs sound the same. There really isn't any emotion put into them. I miss bands like the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes. I also miss pop punk like GOB, Treble Charger, and Sum 41. I miss a lot of old Avril and Kelly Clarkson songs on the radio.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 3:41 am

One thing I miss is there was a lot more variety. Right now, it seems like all songs sound the same. There really isn't any emotion put into them. I miss bands like the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes. I also miss pop punk like GOB, Treble Charger, and Sum 41. I miss a lot of old Avril and Kelly Clarkson songs on the radio.

Yeah it's like one sound for every genre.  ;D Even the synths are more rave/club instead of melodic if that makes sense. Like I hate Katy's latest hit "Dark Horse" for specifically that reason.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 3:45 am

Yeah it's like one sound for every genre.  ;D Even the synths are more rave/club instead of melodic if that makes sense. Like I hate Katy's latest hit "Dark Horse" for specifically that reason.

With songs like Dark Horse, you can't even really dance to it. Sometimes it's frustrating on the radio. Some of the songs you can tell have talent and potential but it's like they do nothing for me emotionally.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/09/14 at 7:50 am

I've been purchasing some lots of prerecorded VHS lately, and for the most part while looking through my tapes, yes. Even 1999 while considerably more modern compared to the first half of the '90s, is still pre-HD, the graphic styles are old school compared to today, there is less "fine print" and text overall, and of course no Social Media references. Scripted TV was still king and many shows were still using laughing tracks and three-camera sets. Photography is another biggie; while there were a few digital cameras in the late '90s, film was still dominant, and most photos from the '90s will reflect this. There weren't as many "curvy" fonts compared to today, and most of the ones that were around in the '90s feel outdated compared to today. Young adults act more like adults compared to the "extended adolescence" of 21st century adults. Mainstream movies had fewer special effects and of course were still shot on film instead of digital. Animation was still predominantly cel animation, something that I already associate with vintageness. Going to Archive.org and checking out the 1996-1999 Internet clearly shows the more text-based nature of the early Internet along with other outdated apps such as Webrings. Sure, there will be things from the late '90s that are considered "ahead of its time" that could still fit in with today, but overall the '90s are starting to more recognizably pick up that epochitic quality. While its taken a bit longer compared to the '80s (check out threads on this board 2004 and see for yourself), the '90s clearly has "made it".

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 8:34 am

Going to Archive.org and checking out the 1996-1999 Internet clearly shows the more text-based nature of the early Internet along with other outdated apps such as Webrings.

Yeah, that's true. I really start to think that the classic internet is not an indicator for modern/current life anymore. Too much changed even since then and it's more the mobile devices and the 'always connected' mentality which is relevant today. That's a phenomenon that started in the mid/late 00s at earliest.

Recently, I found out how different the internet really was even in the early-mid 00s. I have installed Windows 98 on a virtual machine and installed a Netscape browser from 2002. It is absolutely useless today and I got a lot of script errors when trying to browse through the modern WWW. It shocked me since it still feels like yesterday that I got internet and used this OS and this browser on a regular basis.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/14 at 8:46 am

Yeah, that's true. I really start to think that the classic internet is not an indicator for modern/current life anymore. Too much changed even since then and it's more the mobile devices and the 'always connected' mentality which is relevant today. That's a phenomenon that started in the mid/late 00s at earliest.

Recently, I found out how different the internet really was even in the early-mid 00s. I have installed Windows 98 on a virtual machine and installed a Netscape browser from 2002. It is absolutely useless today and I got a lot of script errors when trying to browse through the modern WWW. It shocked me since it still feels like yesterday that I got internet and used this OS and this browser on a regular basis.

A lot of people forget that the '90s Internet was dial-up and archaic looking compared to today's Internet.  It had to be for pages to load in a timely manner on a 56 kbps connection.  Many times you had a limited number of hours you could be connected so you knew what you were getting on the Internet to do before you dialed in. 

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:17 pm

That's what I want to know, Why is The Simpsons and South Park still on after over 20 years?

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:19 pm

I have installed Windows 98 on a virtual machine and installed a Netscape browser from 2002. It is absolutely useless today and I got a lot of script errors when trying to browse through the modern WWW. It shocked me since it still feels like yesterday that I got internet and used this OS and this browser on a regular basis.

Well, at least you tried.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:20 pm

A lot of people forget that the '90s Internet was dial-up and archaic looking compared to today's Internet.

I hated the 90's internet and dial-up.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 3:37 pm

That's what I want to know, Why is (...) South Park still on after over 20 years?

South Park on after over 20 years? You mean 15.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:52 pm

South Park on after over 20 years? You mean 15.

Yes I meant 15 years.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 4:18 pm

I've been purchasing some lots of prerecorded VHS lately, and for the most part while looking through my tapes, yes. Even 1999 while considerably more modern compared to the first half of the '90s, is still pre-HD, the graphic styles are old school compared to today, there is less "fine print" and text overall, and of course no Social Media references. Scripted TV was still king and many shows were still using laughing tracks and three-camera sets. Photography is another biggie; while there were a few digital cameras in the late '90s, film was still dominant, and most photos from the '90s will reflect this. There weren't as many "curvy" fonts compared to today, and most of the ones that were around in the '90s feel outdated compared to today. Young adults act more like adults compared to the "extended adolescence" of 21st century adults. Mainstream movies had fewer special effects and of course were still shot on film instead of digital. Animation was still predominantly cel animation, something that I already associate with vintageness. Going to Archive.org and checking out the 1996-1999 Internet clearly shows the more text-based nature of the early Internet along with other outdated apps such as Webrings. Sure, there will be things from the late '90s that are considered "ahead of its time" that could still fit in with today, but overall the '90s are starting to more recognizably pick up that epochitic quality. While its taken a bit longer compared to the '80s (check out threads on this board 2004 and see for yourself), the '90s clearly has "made it".

I agree with all of this. It's not jarring but its definitely there. Shoot, I'd even say up to 2004/2005 has a trace of those older school, midsized 90s fonts on newscasts (if you don't count the ticker, some of them could pass as 90s) and, like you said, no social media references.

I'll make another thread for it, but speaking of young adults, would you say the early-mid 2000s was when 20somethings actually acted the oldest in a way? Like during most of the 90s, you had the angsty Reality Bites Xers, or dudes like Randall and Dante from Clerks who were in their early, maybe mid 20s and seemed young (I remember lots of people in real life like that too, albeit not quite to that extent, lol)...and of course, today you have people in their 20s or even early 30s who have that extended adolescence vibe too.

But around 2002 or 2005 I recall meeting so many 23, 25 or 26 year olds who just acted 40 and carried themselves very maturely. It used to make me feel so old by default when I'd run across some guy born in 1979 who'd put down the current youth and act like they were a billion years younger. I can't quite describe it without a specific example, but I just remember how conservative and "old for their age" that 20 somethings acted back then.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 5:05 pm

I agree with all of this. It's not jarring but its definitely there. Shoot, I'd even say up to 2004/2005 has a trace of those older school, midsized 90s fonts on newscasts (if you don't count the ticker, some of them could pass as 90s) and, like you said, no social media references.

I'll make another thread for it, but speaking of young adults, would you say the early-mid 2000s was when 20somethings actually acted the oldest in a way? Like during most of the 90s, you had the angsty Reality Bites Xers, or dudes like Randall and Dante from Clerks who were in their early, maybe mid 20s and seemed young (I remember lots of people in real life like that too, albeit not quite to that extent, lol)...and of course, today you have people in their 20s or even early 30s who have that extended adolescence vibe too.

But around 2002 or 2005 I recall meeting so many 23, 25 or 26 year olds who just acted 40 and carried themselves very maturely. It used to make me feel so old by default when I'd run across some guy born in 1979 who'd put down the current youth and act like they were a billion years younger. I can't quite describe it without a specific example, but I just remember how conservative and "old for their age" that 20 somethings acted back then.

I think all the teen pop of 1999 permanently sent them out of the loop.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 7:19 pm

Yeah I honestly wonder if that had something to do with it. There'd be a world of difference between an 11 year old girl of 1999 who was an OTown/Britney fan, and a 21 year old who might even be getting married or almost out of college. I wonder if that's why the 80s seemed kinda cheesy and old even in, say 2002 and why you didn't have kids fighting about being one.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/10/14 at 4:37 am

Also: Actors and actress seemed more mature in the 90's compared to today. Not everyone looked older, but most of them had a more mature vibe going on.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/14 at 4:51 am

I hated the 90's internet and dial-up.

You couldn't download the dirty things fast.  :-X :-X

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/14 at 9:05 am

You make some good points.  It's true that Generation X didn't have the "Peter Pan" mentality that most millennials do.  Not sure what has caused it, but people born after about 1986 don't seem to want to let go of their childhoods.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just different from previous generations.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/10/14 at 11:52 am

You make some good points.  It's true that Generation X didn't have the "Peter Pan" mentality that most millennials do.  Not sure what has caused it, but people born after about 1986 don't seem to want to let go of their childhoods.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just different from previous generations.

Probably because we were the last to remember the 20th century and that's a big deal to us. Also the past feels a lot better than today.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/14 at 2:17 pm

You couldn't download the dirty things fast.  :-X :-X

It took even slower to download waiting for something.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/10/14 at 3:01 pm

Generation X super mature? What about the slacker stereotype that plagued them when they were my age (mid 20's)?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/10/14 at 3:42 pm

I agree with what you say about 2006. The 90's really didn't feel like a separate era to me until then, at least pop-culturally speaking. It suddenly hit upon me when I was at Target in September of that year for a special visit organized for all the incoming students at my university to buy whatever we needed for our dorms. Then, a Backstreet Boys song came on through the sound system. I thought, "Wow, that song must be about 10 years old now." Until then, the 90's (at least the second half, along with the "cool" aspects of the first half like alternative rock or The Adventures of Pete and Pete) still felt pretty current to me.

Plus, I never really felt there was a 90's backlash, and I am still kind of waiting for it to happen. I recall that in the 90's, nearly anything from the 80's was seen as horrifically uncool, with exemptions given only for 80's things that didn't feel 80's, like Nirvana's first album Bleach or early death metal. I even remember my brother making a joke, "Even the 90's aren't as uncool as the 80's, and I'm talking about the 1890's." Yet, I can't remember anyone ever saying anything similar about the 90's during the second half of the 00's. Probably because throughout the 2000's, even if the same groups weren't necessarily popular, a lot of the same genres were. In many ways, the 2000's feel like the late 90's except with more technology, innovative music groups being replaced by watered-down imitators, and a more hawkish and right-wing political atmosphere. Even fashion seemed to change relatively little up until around mid to late 2006.

On the other hand, most of the early 90's felt pretty dated to me a long time ago. I remember that when I was in third grade in the first part of 1997, for gym, it was very common for our teacher to put on "Everybody Dance Now" by C+C Music Factory, which was from late 1990 and I believe its popularity peaked in early 1991. Even as an unhip 9-year-old kid, it seemed passé to me and I felt that it was a case of clueless adults trying to put on what they thought we kids would think was cool and current and failing at it.

On thing about the 90's where a change was definitely felt pretty early in the 2000's was politics. With the aggressively right-wing, pro-surveillance, and pro-war character of the Bush administration, I felt a change pretty immediately and much to my chagrin. Even though pop-culturally things seemed to change at a snail's pace, I remember that 1999 seemed decades away politically by 2003. The 2000's were a very bleak time for me in terms of politics and I felt nostalgia for the Clinton years when I was in high school from 2002 to 2006.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/14 at 4:32 pm

I agree with what you say about 2006. The 90's really didn't feel like a separate era to me until then, at least pop-culturally speaking.

This always depends on the "definition" of the 90s. If you mean the modern late 90s, I would agree. You can't really argue that the 1997-99 era, when for example the internet and home computers already had a big relevance, was clearly another time then. Same goes for pop music and fashion. The 'classic early/mid 90s' however were already very old at the beginning of the 2000s - if not already within the actual 90s.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/11/14 at 8:07 pm

Plus, I never really felt there was a 90's backlash, and I am still kind of waiting for it to happen. I recall that in the 90's, nearly anything from the 80's was seen as horrifically uncool, with exemptions given only for 80's things that didn't feel 80's...

On thing about the 90's where a change was definitely felt pretty early in the 2000's was politics. With the aggressively right-wing, pro-surveillance, and pro-war character of the Bush administration, I felt a change pretty immediately and much to my chagrin. Even though pop-culturally things seemed to change at a snail's pace, I remember that 1999 seemed decades away politically by 2003. The 2000's were a very bleak time for me in terms of politics and I felt nostalgia for the Clinton years when I was in high school from 2002 to 2006.

Well stated. I agree with all of this. Yeah, politically speaking the 00s changed at lightning speed from the laid back, easygoing liberal Clinton era 90s (even in the earlier part of 2001 pre-9/11, obviously with Dubya being in office, and things like the dot-com burst), even if pop culturally they were like a watered down, less exciting 90s until the last maybe two years of the decade.

Yeah, I can remember on this board even, back in the day in 2004-06 people wondering when and if there'd be a 90s backlash, and there honestly never was, except perhaps for a few of the over the top fashions. Now they're long enough ago to be retro cool, so other than simply being lost on some of the current youth, they never really had a "cheesy phase" the way the 80s did almost immediately.

And yeah, I think that's very accurate about how it was pretty much just the "not so 80s seeming" 80s things that remained cool/acceptable in the 90s. Musically I actually remember kids seeming to like bands like U2, Tears For Fears, The Cure, and The Police. Sure they all definitely sounded 80s to a point, but had a timeless air in a way. They're kind of softer/poppier alternative rock which wouldn't have been too different from the current alt rock in a way.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/11/14 at 9:28 pm

Oh please, there wasn't as much as you think. There was still a bunch of alternative rock, post grunge, hip hop, r&b, and adult contemporary to counter it. There was plenty of stuff for 20 something's to like.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/12/14 at 3:04 am

Well stated. I agree with all of this. Yeah, politically speaking the 00s changed at lightning speed from the laid back, easygoing liberal Clinton era 90s (even in the earlier part of 2001 pre-9/11, obviously with Dubya being in office, and things like the dot-com burst), even if pop culturally they were like a watered down, less exciting 90s until the last maybe two years of the decade.

Yeah, I can remember on this board even, back in the day in 2004-06 people wondering when and if there'd be a 90s backlash, and there honestly never was, except perhaps for a few of the over the top fashions. Now they're long enough ago to be retro cool, so other than simply being lost on some of the current youth, they never really had a "cheesy phase" the way the 80s did almost immediately.

And yeah, I think that's very accurate about how it was pretty much just the "not so 80s seeming" 80s things that remained cool/acceptable in the 90s. Musically I actually remember kids seeming to like bands like U2, Tears For Fears, The Cure, and The Police. Sure they all definitely sounded 80s to a point, but had a timeless air in a way. They're kind of softer/poppier alternative rock which wouldn't have been too different from the current alt rock in a way.

Yeah, there's no doubt that there wasn't the same type of backlash against the '90s as there had been against '80s (and the '70s after Disco died for that matter).

I think the main reason for this is because there was never any Grunge-type "movement" in the '00s that came along and wiped out much of what had been popular the previous decade, like the alternative explosion did in the early '90s. It's kinda weird to think about, but if "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hadn't come along and catapulted alternative rock to the mainstream, '80s music could have lingered much longer into the '90s than it already did. You could've had high school kids still listening to Motley Crue in like 1995.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/14 at 3:13 am

Yeah, there's no doubt that there wasn't the same type of backlash against the '90s as there had been against '80s (and the '70s after Disco died for that matter).

I think the main reason for this is because there was never any Grunge-type "movement" in the '00s that came along and wiped out much of what had been popular the previous decade, like the alternative explosion did in the early '90s. It's kinda weird to think about, but if "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hadn't come along and catapulted alternative rock to the mainstream, '80s music could have lingered much longer into the '90s than it already did. You could've had high school kids still listening to Motley Crue in like 1995.

Looking back at old posts one day, I noticed people complaining that teens were still acting like it was the 90s in early 2003. I wonder what teachers thought of class of 04 and class of 05 for holding on to the late 90s in the mid 2000s.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/12/14 at 8:59 am

I think you are very right about the lack of a distinct movement in the 00s to replace what had been popular in the 90s. On the other hand, I think that if it hadn't been "Smells like Teen Spirit," it would have been something similar, since there were so many bands playing something along the lines of that style of music, both in Seattle and elsewhere. Also, as was mentioned by another poster in a thread I started about Def Leppard remaining popular until as late as 1993, "Smells like Teen Spirit" wasn't even the highest charting alternative rock song in 1992, that honor goes to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge." Also, Pearl Jam consistently outsold Nirvana until Kurt Cobain died. So is it possible that we would see "Jeremy" or "Even Flow" as the song that killed glam metal if Kurt hadn't died?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/13/14 at 6:25 pm

In my humble opinion, 1990 to 1994 seems outdated and vintage. 1995 is well on its way, but 1996 on is still new and fresh to me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/14/14 at 2:27 am

In my humble opinion, 1990 to 1994 seems outdated and vintage. 1995 is well on its way, but 1996 on is still new and fresh to me.

That's what I thought maybe until 2009/10.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/14/14 at 2:44 am

That's what I thought maybe until 2009/10.

:)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/14/14 at 1:09 pm

My favorite years (1990,1991 and 1992) are definitely vintage by now. I was nostalgic for them in 1999.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/14 at 1:52 pm

1995 is almost 20 years old.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/15/14 at 12:42 am

1995 is almost 20 years old.

The only reason I don't say 1995 is retro just yet is because the style was too different from 1994. So therefore, 1995 won't be retro to me until 2015. However, 1996 is pretty much just a 1995 holdover: They're EXACTLY the same, like clones. Everything that was released in 1996, it could've been popular in 1995. As a result, I would say 1996 will become retro at the same time as 1995 in 2015.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/15/14 at 2:01 am

Coming from somebody who remembers 1994-6: 1994 was definitely not old and different in 1995/96. You can't just say that tastes and style change that fast. It might be the new stuff from each year that seemed a bit different, but you can't just ignore the hold overs. Pop cultural differences become visible after 3 years at earliest. 

Written By: Visor765 on 09/15/14 at 9:18 am

Coming from somebody who remembers 1994-6: 1994 was definitely not old and different in 1995/96. You can't just say that tastes and style change that fast. It might be the new stuff from each year that seemed a bit different, but you can't just ignore the hold overs. Pop cultural differences become visible after 3 years at earliest.

The reason why I said that was because I say 1994 is too similar to the early '90s, especially in fashion. For instance, I see 1994 as "frumpy", whereas I see 1995 and 1996 as flattering, even sexy. I'd say more two years than three. I see a difference in pop culture between 2012 and today, and I'm not just talking about one aspect. 2012 is only relevant today because of it's age, just as how 1994 was only relevant in 1996 because of it's age. I see 1994 as a clone of 1993, and 1996 as a clone of 1995. Therefore, that's why I say they're different. Also remember, 1995 had post-grunge, 1994 didn't.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/15/14 at 10:11 am

The reason why I said that was because I say 1994 is too similar to the early '90s, especially in fashion.

1994 was nothing like 1990 to 1993 in terms of fashion. In '94, most teens were wearing Pearl Jam t-shirts, red flannel sweaters and dirty looking jeans. In the early 90s, you had white overalls with one strap down, teal tops, Z. Cavariccis and turtlenecks. Some clothing articles were worn well into the mid 90s such as Hypercolor tees, No Fear shirts, Cross Colors and black t-shirts. 1993 was really the divider between the early and mid 90s. Times were starting to change in the fall of 1992. The days of late '92 were more like those of the mid 1990s. Late '92 was also the last time a young man could get away with wearing a neon pink shirt and Skidz pants. 1993 is when I noticed a full on transition from the early 90s into the mid 1990s. 1993 is often grouped with the years of the early 90s because Cosby sweaters were still being worn in the winter, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film was in Theaters and Bush 1 was last President in January of the year. I noticed the difference between the HW Bush 90s and Clinton 90s right away in 1993. For starters, Americans stopped wearing their Charlotte Hornets Starter Jackets for the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphin ones.

Even though I really loathe the mid 90s (1993-1996), they are pretty vintage in this period. I can't imagine anyone pulling off a Troll shirt or fleece plaid hoodie vest in the future. Those times are long gone.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/16/14 at 12:47 am

1994 was nothing like 1990 to 1993 in terms of fashion. In '94, most teens were wearing Pearl Jam t-shirts, red flannel sweaters and dirty looking jeans. In the early 90s, you had white overalls with one strap down, teal tops, Z. Cavariccis and turtlenecks. Some clothing articles were worn well into the mid 90s such as Hypercolor tees, No Fear shirts, Cross Colors and black t-shirts. 1993 was really the divider between the early and mid 90s. Times were starting to change in the fall of 1992. The days of late '92 were more like those of the mid 1990s. Late '92 was also the last time a young man could get away with wearing a neon pink shirt and Skidz pants. 1993 is when I noticed a full on transition from the early 90s into the mid 1990s. 1993 is often grouped with the years of the early 90s because Cosby sweaters were still being worn in the winter, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film was in Theaters and Bush 1 was last President in January of the year. I noticed the difference between the HW Bush 90s and Clinton 90s right away in 1993. For starters, Americans stopped wearing their Charlotte Hornets Starter Jackets for the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphin ones.

Even though I really loathe the mid 90s (1993-1996), they are pretty vintage in this period. I can't imagine anyone pulling off a Troll shirt or fleece plaid hoodie vest in the future. Those times are long gone.

In half of 1993 and half of 1994 I was 8 and don't know teen fashion, but I remember children's fashion. Alot of neon was still in, and both little girls and grown women wore stirrup leggings and oversized shirts.

If anybody pulls off wearing mid 90's nostalgia t-shirts they'd probably be doing it ironically.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/16/14 at 6:41 am

In half of 1993 and half of 1994 I was 8 and don't know teen fashion, but I remember children's fashion. Alot of neon was still in, and both little girls and grown women wore stirrup leggings and oversized shirts.

If anybody pulls off wearing mid 90's nostalgia t-shirts they'd probably be doing it ironically.

In the earliest part of the Clinton 90s, some people were wearing the new clothes they purchased in the early 90s still. Most people in '93 wore the trendy clothes of the time. Six year olds were starting to wear Barney the Dinosaur shirts. Nine year olds had on the Bugs and Taz Kris Kross tops on. There were also teenagers wearing flannel tied around their waist in 1993. I recall some young men wearing flannel and a white short sleeved shirt underneath in that year. In '92, grunge fans just wore the dirtiest (purple, fwir) tee they could get their hands on. In '94, juniors and teens primarily wore flannel with almost everything in their wardrobe. It wasn't as bad in 1993, but flannel was everywhere in 1994. Those were the Debbie Downer years of the 90s.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/16/14 at 9:52 am

In the earliest part of the Clinton 90s, some people were wearing the new clothes they purchased in the early 90s still. Most people in '93 wore the trendy clothes of the time. Six year olds were starting to wear Barney the Dinosaur shirts. Nine year olds had on the Bugs and Taz Kris Kross tops on. There were also teenagers wearing flannel tied around their waist in 1993. I recall some young men wearing flannel and a white short sleeved shirt underneath in that year. In '92, grunge fans just wore the dirtiest (purple, fwir) tee they could get their hands on. In '94, juniors and teens primarily wore flannel with almost everything in their wardrobe. It wasn't as bad in 1993, but flannel was everywhere in 1994. Those were the Debbie Downer years of the 90s.

You seem to know a lot about novelty and grunge fashion, but I'm talking about dressier clothes. 1995 was when minimalism started, straight legs, crop tops, and cargo pants came in, short skirts became stylish again, go-go boots made a comeback, cardigans, and highlighted hair. 1996 was the year bell-bottoms came back. This is all women's fashion by the way.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/16/14 at 10:19 am

You seem to know a lot about novelty and grunge fashion, but I'm talking about dressier clothes. 1995 was when minimalism started, straight legs, crop tops, and cargo pants came in, short skirts became stylish again, go-go boots made a comeback, cardigans, and highlighted hair. 1996 was the year bell-bottoms came back. This is all women's fashion by the way.

Cargo pants, crop tops and short skirts were all around in the early 1990s. I remember wearing acid washed cargo jeans with zippers on them from 1989 to early '92. Women used to wear cropped tops with Lycra pants from mid '89 to the fall of 1990. Pencil short skirts were all of the rage in the early 90s. Now that you mention it, the mid 90s have a lot in common with 1992. '92 was when the 70s parties were first held. People did not wear bell bottoms, but they did have on velour shirts.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/16/14 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, I actually recall thinking that back THEN in '01 and '02 too that nothing monumental had come along musically to define the decade. Even though like SiderealDreams said, I'm sure grunge and alternative would've broken through anyway, I do think 80s styled hard rock could've definitely lasted longer and co-existed with it. Back in 1990-early 1993, Motley Crue, GNR, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, and Def Leppard had some of their biggest charting songs.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/16/14 at 6:26 pm

Cargo pants, crop tops and short skirts were all around in the early 1990s. I remember wearing acid washed cargo jeans with zippers on them from 1989 to early '92. Women used to wear cropped tops with Lycra pants from mid '89 to the fall of 1990. Pencil short skirts were all of the rage in the early 90s. Now that you mention it, the mid 90s have a lot in common with 1992. '92 was when the 70s parties were first held. People did not wear bell bottoms, but they did have on velour shirts.

But they looked totally different than how they looked in the second half of the '90s. In the early '90s, crop tops were longer and boxier. 1995 is when belly shirts came in, which were really short and tight. They were almost like a sports bra, and they lasted most of the 2000s.

Same with cargo pants. In the early '90s, they were pleated, tapered, and high waisted. Around 1995/1996-ish they were looser fitting with straight legs. This style continued into the 2000s.

In the early '90s, women's mini skirts were mid-thigh at the shortest. After Clueless came out, skirts became even shorter. Granted, they were high-waisted and worn with tights and knee-high gogo boots (Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyone?), that style is definitely NOT early '90s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/17/14 at 8:35 pm

Velour shirts were worn in the mid 90's when I was in grade school. I had a couple too. Fashion faux pas! Ugh, but I was still a kid so... :-\\

But they looked totally different than how they looked in the second half of the '90s. In the early '90s, crop tops were longer and boxier. 1995 is when belly shirts came in, which were really short and tight. They were almost like a sports bra, and they lasted most of the 2000s.

Same with cargo pants. In the early '90s, they were pleated, tapered, and high waisted. Around 1995/1996-ish they were looser fitting with straight legs. This style continued into the 2000s.

In the early '90s, women's mini skirts were mid-thigh at the shortest. After Clueless came out, skirts became even shorter. Granted, they were high-waisted and worn with tights and knee-high gogo boots (Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyone?), that style is definitely NOT early '90s.

In most of the 90's everything was high waisted. Micro mini skirts was a 2000's fashion.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/18/14 at 10:34 pm

I don't remember bell bottoms coming back until like 1999.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/18/14 at 11:38 pm

I don't remember bell bottoms coming back until like 1999.

I have proof, watch these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=da+dip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CagOKa5rrhY (US video is so much better though.)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/171385/Fashions-Year-In-Review-1996

Written By: af2010 on 09/20/14 at 7:17 am

I don't know how you would define "vintage". The early 90s are already pretty retro. The mid 90s are getting there. The late 90s still seem fairly modern, but that'll probably change within a few years. I'd say by 2020, the 90s decade as a whole will seem pretty old.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/20/14 at 9:54 am

I don't know how you would define "vintage". The early 90s are already pretty retro. The mid 90s are getting there. The late 90s still seem fairly modern, but that'll probably change within a few years. I'd say by 2020, the 90s decade as a whole will seem pretty old.

True.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/20/14 at 10:42 am

"Retro" describes pop culture as a whole. "Vintage" describes fashion. Both terms apply to things that are 20 years of age or older.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/14 at 12:23 pm

To be honest, the earliest stuff I would consider "vintage" is older than 1950.
I also wouldn't say that "vintage" is limited to fashion.

I would say:

-1950/60 = Antique/Vintage
1950/60-1990 = Retro
1991-2005 = Dated
2006-2014 = (Good as) New

Written By: Visor765 on 09/20/14 at 1:18 pm

To be honest, the earliest stuff I would consider "vintage" is older than 1950.
I also wouldn't say that "vintage" is limited to fashion.

I would say:

-1950/60 = Antique/Vintage
1950/60-1990 = Retro
1991-2005 = Dated
2006-2014 = (Good as) New

That doesn't really make sense. Pop culture goes in 20 year cycles. When you say '06 to present is as good as new, do you mean fashion or music? New fashion trends I can understand, but the music of '06 sounds completely irrelevant by today's standards.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/20/14 at 1:20 pm

That doesn't really make sense. Pop culture goes in 20 year cycles. When you say '06 to present is as good as new, do you mean fashion or music? New fashion trends I can understand, but the music of '06 sounds completely irrelevant by today's standards.

Thank you.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/14 at 4:57 pm

When you say '06 to present is as good as new, do you mean fashion or music?

My list is a very general list. Of course music and fashion is as good as new in comparsion to 1950 (which is vintage). You need to consider the starting point.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 5:53 pm

"Retro" describes pop culture as a whole. "Vintage" describes fashion. Both terms apply to things that are 20 years of age or older.

I agree.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/21/14 at 12:26 am

I was thinking there's periods where some things age differently. Like, for so long (especially during the 80s and 90s) fashion/hairstyles and music dated quickly, sometimes within 2 years even. Nowadays not so much, but technology is like that.

If you have a mid 2000s flip/dumbphone today in 2014, that's like equivalent to playing a 1988 hair metal song in front of your grunge buddies in 1994. ;D

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/21/14 at 2:12 am

Even the late 90's look pretty dated now when you really look back.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/21/14 at 4:41 am

I agree.

Vintage can be a fashion style (ca. 1920s-80s), but it is not limited to it. Old stuff can generally be vintage.

What I also find interesting:

Retro style is style that is consciously derivative or imitative of trends, modes, fashions, or attitudes of the recent past. It generally implies a vintage of at least fifteen or twenty years. For example, clothing from the 1980s or 1990s could be retro.
Source: Wikipedia ("Retro style")

Written By: Catherine91UK on 09/23/14 at 9:40 am

On TV when they show clips from the late 90s or even the early 2000s, I always notice that the clothes, cars and hairstyles look 'old'. However, I've always thought the word 'vintage' applies to things around 50 years old.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/14 at 3:16 pm

I've always thought the word 'vintage' applies to things around 50 years old.

I think you're right.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/24/14 at 8:24 am

I was at a museum yesterday that had a wall that featured a bunch of newspapers from the mid-1800s up until 1992. I noticed even the early 1990s ones still looked very old-school and some only had one color with the rest in black and white. Remember how quickly newspapers adopted color in the 1990s along with numerous layout/style changes that have happened from the mid-'90s to today? That said, since Wiki said fifteen to twenty years, it means that 1994 and back is vintage, with 1995-99 as semi-vintage, with contemporary influences (Internet, pharmachuetical ads with "ask your doctor", cell phones, early 3D games, political correctness close to today, hip-hop a popular genre). IMO vintage implies "a bygone era that is obsolete to contemporary in general form" and is past the "trough of no value". You'll find that early-mid '90s toys like Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, 16-bit video games, and certain periodical magazines have passed their bottoming and starting to rise, whereas late '90s things like some Pokemon, Beanie Babies, PS1 games, and other items are still generally seen as "second-hand junk".

http://postcardcollector.org/forum/index.php?threads/the-trough-of-no-value.37/

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/24/14 at 4:54 pm

I was at a museum yesterday that had a wall that featured a bunch of newspapers from the mid-1800s up until 1992. I noticed even the early 1990s ones still looked very old-school and some only had one color with the rest in black and white. Remember how quickly newspapers adopted color in the 1990s along with numerous layout/style changes that have happened from the mid-'90s to today? That said, since Wiki said fifteen to twenty years, it means that 1994 and back is vintage, with 1995-99 as semi-vintage, with contemporary influences (Internet, pharmachuetical ads with "ask your doctor", cell phones, early 3D games, political correctness close to today, hip-hop a popular genre). IMO vintage implies "a bygone era that is obsolete to contemporary in general form" and is past the "trough of no value". You'll find that early-mid '90s toys like Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, 16-bit video games, and certain periodical magazines have passed their bottoming and starting to rise, whereas late '90s things like some Pokemon, Beanie Babies, PS1 games, and other items are still generally seen as "second-hand junk".

I think (especially the bolded) is a very accurate statement. It seems like anything between maybe 7-15 years ago is in that middle, in limbo phase of being just cheesy - i.e. too old to be contemporary and too new to be retro or vintage cool.

Technology is very much like that these days, like a flip phone from 2006. ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/14 at 6:22 pm

On TV when they show clips from the late 90s or even the early 2000s, I always notice that the clothes, cars and hairstyles look 'old'. However, I've always thought the word 'vintage' applies to things around 50 years old.

Yes, there is a difference between retro (from about 20 years ago) and vintage. When you drink a vintage bottle of wine it's usually about 50-100 years or older.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/25/14 at 10:51 am

Having briefly taught third and sixth grade last year at a school here in Mexico City, I can vouch that Ninja Turtles are definitely cool among present-day kids. So I suppose that confirms what yelimsexa and BayAreaNostalgist1981 said.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:25 pm

Everything is eventually vintage.  2014 will one day be "the good old days" to someone.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/25/14 at 2:43 pm

Ah yes, Turtlemania of 1990. I remember taking my brother to see the first film in April of 1990. He got a Donatello plush from the ticket clerk for purchasing the ticket see the movie. The Theater was packed and almost everyone applauded once the title came up. After the film was over, children were singing Partners In Krymes' "T-U-R-T-L-E Power". At the time, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were sold out at most toy stores. Everyone ranging from children to teenagers were snatching up any figure they could find. Mothers were calling ToysRUs employees to reserve basic Leonardo and Donatello action figures once they got a new shipment in. Those mothers would also line up outside of the ToysRUs before it opened to buy figures fresh out of the cases. I knew high schoolers who amassed a collection of over ten figures, which they displayed on top of speakers and dressers. You can say the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a household name in 1990. Everywhere you looked, there they were. Burger King had the videos, supermarkets had the candies with free stickers inside, costumed Turtles were showing up at K-Mart and ToysRUs. Personally, I thought Krang was "mondo" and "totally cool" (as we put it back then). I was too old to go the the boys section of any department store at that point. I was afraid of getting laughed at if a classmate caught me going through the stock.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/25/14 at 5:51 pm

I think (especially the bolded) is a very accurate statement. It seems like anything between maybe 7-15 years ago is in that middle, in limbo phase of being just cheesy - i.e. too old to be contemporary and too new to be retro or vintage cool.

Technology is very much like that these days, like a flip phone from 2006. ;D

7 years ago was 2007 and I still consider it fairly recent, minus the phones and music players. Anything sooner than that I'd say is in that middle phase, especially some of the late 90's fads.

Ah yes, Turtlemania of 1990. I remember taking my brother to see the first film in April of 1990. He got a Donatello plush from the ticket clerk for purchasing the ticket see the movie. The Theater was packed and almost everyone applauded once the title came up. After the film was over, children were singing Partners In Krymes' "T-U-R-T-L-E Power". At the time, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were sold out at most toy stores. Everyone ranging from children to teenagers were snatching up any figure they could find. Mothers were calling ToysRUs employees to reserve basic Leonardo and Donatello action figures once they got a new shipment in. Those mothers would also line up outside of the ToysRUs before it opened to buy figures fresh out of the cases. I knew high schoolers who amassed a collection of over ten figures, which they displayed on top of speakers and dressers. You can say the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a household name in 1990. Everywhere you looked, there they were. Burger King had the videos, supermarkets had the candies with free stickers inside, costumed Turtles were showing up at K-Mart and ToysRUs. Personally, I thought Krang was "mondo" and "totally cool" (as we put it back then). I was too old to go the the boys section of any department store at that point. I was afraid of getting laughed at if a classmate caught me going through the stock.

When I saw the movies we rented them. The Turtles phase occupied me from probably pre-Kindergarten to 2nd grade when everyone was all about the Power Rangers. Every kid on the street had some TMNT toys or you weren't cool. I had all four, two versions of Shredder, Splinter, Casey Jones, April, and several of the monsters from the show including the werewolf and snapping turtle from the movie. Some kids had the movie versions of the turtles with the dark green spotted skin. I wish I'd hung onto them, but out of package what good would that be now?

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:18 am

I watched Drop Dead Gorgeous the other day and to me the 90s already looks vintage!  ;D People looked way less fancy back then, in the way they dressed and even though they were around you didn't see people using their cell phones all the time.

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:20 am

I was thinking there's periods where some things age differently. Like, for so long (especially during the 80s and 90s) fashion/hairstyles and music dated quickly, sometimes within 2 years even. Nowadays not so much, but technology is like that.

If you have a mid 2000s flip/dumbphone today in 2014, that's like equivalent to playing a 1988 hair metal song in front of your grunge buddies in 1994. ;D

That's true. I think basically anything in the past 9 years, since say 2005/2006 could more or less pass as "current", aside from maybe a computer from then or some of the more ridiculous rap songs. I guess SOME things from 8 or 9 years back might feel a bit dated today, like a Natasha Bedingfield or All American Rejects song or something or some awful emo haircut.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/14 at 5:11 am

For now, pictures from 1996 to now seem pretty recent!

Written By: Howard on 09/29/14 at 1:31 pm

In another 2 more years it would be 20 years.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/29/14 at 2:54 pm

In another 2 more years it would be 20 years.

UGH!  That is a scary thought.  That means 20 years since I graduated high school.  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/29/14 at 4:17 pm

When I watch our family photo albums, I would say 1999 and later looks fairly recent. But even on photos from the early 2000s it is amazing how old the cars are on the streets. I took road pictures in the Netherlands in late 2001 and and it looks like a different world in comparison to today: So many late 80s and 90s cars...

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/01/14 at 5:30 am

That's true. I think basically anything in the past 9 years, since say 2005/2006 could more or less pass as "current", aside from maybe a computer from then or some of the more ridiculous rap songs. I guess SOME things from 8 or 9 years back might feel a bit dated today, like a Natasha Bedingfield or All American Rejects song or something or some awful emo haircut.

More differences:

A lot more flip phones back then.

Girls and women wearing big, plastic belts. You never see that anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/01/14 at 8:35 am

Even most pictures from 1995 seem pretty recent, at least to me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/01/14 at 9:45 am

Even most pictures from 1995 seem pretty recent, at least to me.

It depends what's actually shown on the picture. A street scene from a big city looks probably more dated than something from the countryside. When I watch photos from 1995 taken in my little town, it is unbelievable how much has actually changed since then.

By the way, I will be in New York next January and I haven't been there since 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if my 2006 and 2008 photos look old in comparison ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/14 at 2:39 pm

By the way, I will be in New York next January and I haven't been there since 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if my 2006 and 2008 photos look old in comparison

Where in New York will you be?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 12:31 am

Give it a good hundred years, then the 1990s will be vintage!

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 6:50 am

I would definitely say within the next 10-15 years from now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 7:03 am

I would definitely say within the next 10-15 years from now.
Vintage for antiques is considered to be 100 years.

Written By: Elor on 01/17/15 at 8:02 am

The one thing that always shows me how time flies by is when I look at sport events form 20 years ago. Most of the people active back then are now retired and whole generations of athletes have come and gone.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 8:02 am

The one thing that always shows me how time flies by is when I look at sport events form 20 years ago. Most of the people active back then are now retired and whole generations of athletes have come and gone.

or make appearances once in a while.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 8:12 am

The entertaining tennis have all retired for the circuit, and now on the seniors tour.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 5:31 pm

When will the 00's seem vintage?

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/17/15 at 6:13 pm

When will the 00's seem vintage?

Early 2000's is pretty dated, but when it feels like a total world away it will feel vintage. To me at least. It's getting there.  The mid 2000's was 10 years ago for me so it's not super old yet either, not enough to be cool again.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:38 pm

Early 2000's is pretty dated, but when it feels like a total world away it will feel vintage. To me at least. It's getting there.  The mid 2000's was 10 years ago for me so it's not super old yet either, not enough to be cool again.

give it another 10-15 years.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/24/15 at 6:24 pm

Of course, Philip.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...