inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year of the 1990s had the best Culture/Music?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/21/14 at 12:57 pm

For me I'd have to say 1997. It had the best TV shows, movies, music, clothing, video games, and cartoons. That's just my personal opinion. Despite how much I love the year 1997, it's not "retro", just dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeDq6XPQC4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtmGwxbIq0

HONORARY SONG OF THE YEAR: 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ivt_N2Zcts

DISHONORARY SONG OF THE YEAR: 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc
(this song is so boring)

Tell me based on personal and collective views.

Subject: Re: What year of the 1990s had the best Culture/Music?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/21/14 at 1:12 pm

1991, of course.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 3:37 pm

1996. It had the coolest music, clothes, movies, and slang. It was much more modern than 1994, which was only two years earlier. I have over 100 songs that I like from that year. All of which hit the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 at some point during the year (uniquely 1996. Meaning it wasn't on the Top 40 at the very end of 1995 or the very beginning of 1997). 1997 is my second favorite.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/05/20 at 1:11 pm

The entire decade!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/20 at 1:24 pm

The entire decade!  8)
O0

Ditto!

All of them!

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/05/20 at 3:10 pm

1991, of course.

That’s what I’d say too, +/- 1 year.  I never was much of a fan of the mid or late 90s. To each their own.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/06/20 at 12:47 pm

For me I'd have to say 1997. It had the best TV shows, movies, music, clothing, video games, and cartoons. That's just my personal opinion. Despite how much I love the year 1997, it's not "retro", just dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeDq6XPQC4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtmGwxbIq0

HONORARY SONG OF THE YEAR: 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ivt_N2Zcts

DISHONORARY SONG OF THE YEAR: 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc
(this song is so boring)

Tell me based on personal and collective views.
Your like one of the few people who don't consider 1997 retro. The lste 90s always felt old to me since I was a baby then. People are surpised how old 2000 looks 20 years later.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/11/20 at 1:57 pm

Your like one of the few people who don't consider 1997 retro. The lste 90s always felt old to me since I was a baby then. People are surpised how old 2000 looks 20 years later.

The mid to late 90’s were never retro or old to me and I was born in 1997. I remember watching music videos and movies like Matilda when I was like 4 or 5 and it never seemed old to me because they were only made 4-5 years in the past. Now it looks more retro but I don’t consider them old. The late 90’s don’t feel old school to me yet. I can’t look at Candy by Mandy Moore and call that old.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/11/20 at 2:44 pm

1998 and 1999 never seemed old to me growing up, but 1997 did. Probably because I can remember a bit of 98/99 but absolutely nothing of 97, so I consider it before my time.

The late 90s are safely old school. Ditto 2000, and maybe 2001/2002 as well. I think retro applies to the 80s and very early 90s.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/11/20 at 2:55 pm

1998 and 1999 never seemed old to me growing up, but 1997 did. Probably because I can remember a bit of 98/99 but absolutely nothing of 97, so I consider it before my time.

The late 90s are safely old school. Ditto 2000, and maybe 2001/2002 as well. I think retro applies to the 80s and very early 90s.

The late 90’s are old school ? I’m younger than you by a year or two  and even I don’t consider them old school yet. Britney spears Baby one more time is not old school, Mariah Carey’s Honey is not old school. Stop making me feel old  ;D 

No , in all actuality I can see how the late 90’s and early 2000’s are becoming retro the older I get. The y2k era in general is becoming retro/old school  Heck I can even see how the mid 2000’s are slightly becoming retro. I was watching Final destination 3 the other day and I thought to myself “wow 2006 is starting to look a little retro”.

Written By: shadowcookie on 02/11/20 at 3:03 pm

The late 90’s are old school ? I’m younger than you by a year or two  and even I don’t consider them old school yet. Britney spears Baby one more time is not old school, Mariah Carey’s Honey is not old school. Stop making me feel old  ;D 

No , in all actuality I can see how the late 90’s and early 2000’s are becoming retro the older I get. The y2k era in general is becoming retro/old school  Heck I can even see how the mid 2000’s are slightly becoming retro. I was watching Final destination 3 the other day and I thought to myself “wow 2006 is starting to look a little retro”.

One More Time still sounds kinda modern to me but then you compare it to popular music now and you realise it definitely isn’t. Not just the actual song either, the music video is very much of its time and screams late 90s.

Plus I was just a little kid in the late 90s so it feels like a really long time ago to me.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/11/20 at 3:03 pm

The late 90’s are old school ? I’m younger than you by a year or two  and even I don’t consider them old school yet. Britney spears hit me baby one more time is not old school, Mariah Carey’s Honey is not old school. Stop making me feel old  ;D

To me, the late 90s are old now. Music doesn't sound like that anymore...they sound dated.  :-\\

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/11/20 at 3:22 pm

One More Time still sounds kinda modern to me but then you compare it to popular music now and you realise it definitely isn’t. Not just the actual song either, the music video is very much of its time and screams late 90s.

Plus I was just a little kid in the late 90s so it feels like a really long time ago to me.

Yeah that’s how I feel about anything from 1999-2001 it seems like such a long time ago. Even tho I don’t feel like it’s super old just yet maybe because I lived it as a little kid.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/11/20 at 3:24 pm

To me, the late 90s are old now. Music doesn't sound like that anymore...they sound dated.  :-\\

I so wish music still had that funky vibe to it :-\\.. I see how dated the late 90’s are in movies and music and  sometimes it’s like I still think those songs/movies came out -0 years ago because they are so timeless but in reality the late 90’s are 21-23 years old now.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/11/20 at 3:40 pm

I so wish music still had that funky vibe to it :-\\.. I see how dated the late 90’s are in movies and music and  sometimes it’s like I still think those songs/movies came out -0 years ago because they are so timeless but in reality the late 90’s are 21-23 years old now.

They still feel recent to some people, I guess. And I agree, I miss the way 90s music sounded. Not just the late 90s, but the entire decade!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/20/20 at 8:42 pm

The Simpsons
Twin Peaks
In Living Color
Edward Scissorhands
Ghost
Super Mario Brothers 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (movie)
Dick Tracy
Sinead O Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Madonna - Vogue
MC Hammer - U Can’t Touch This
Jurassic Park
Parker Lewis Can’t Lose
Beverly Hills 90210
Tiny Toon Adventures
Darkman
Robocop 2

Written By: DisneysRetro on 02/22/20 at 2:20 pm

The Simpsons
Twin Peaks
In Living Color
Edward Scissorhands
Ghost
Super Mario Brothers 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (movie)
Dick Tracy
Sinead O Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Madonna - Vogue
MC Hammer - U Can’t Touch This
Jurassic Park
Parker Lewis Can’t Lose
Beverly Hills 90210
Tiny Toon Adventures

I thought Jurassic park came out in 1993 ? Unless the book is what you’re talking about.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/22/20 at 4:27 pm

I thought Jurassic park came out in 1993 ? Unless the book is what you’re talking about.

The book.

Check for new replies or respond here...