inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite year of the '90s and why?

Written By: Wiz83 on 09/21/14 at 10:00 pm

My favorite is probably 1993 for the following reasons: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butt-Head, Midnight Marauders, Mortal Kombat II, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, and Animaniacs.

Subject: Re: Favorite year of the '90s and why?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/22/14 at 6:39 am

I love 1991 because it had Super Soakers 50 and 100, Hypercolor, Pop Qwiz Popcorn, Home Improvement premiering, Baby Sinclair, Rollerblades, the first Sonic the Hedgehog game, Hannibal Lecter, Niño Brown, Urkelmania, C&C Music Factory, Ren and Stimpy airing along with the other Nicktoons, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Beauty and the Beast, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 with Super Shredder, Street Fighter 2, Kenner Bill and Ted action figures, everyone wore overalls with one strap down, some wore oversalls with nothing underneath, Zubaz pants, Boyz N The Hood, two tone silk shirts, Smells Like Teen Spirit (I used to like laughing at this video), Aeon Flux, Super Nintendo, The Addams family remake, the Clarence Thomas Hearing, Adidas Equipment logo (the triangle is still around today), Magic Johnson all over print shirts, the news about Magic having AIDS, Madonna's Truth or Dare, Wilt Chamberlain's "A View From Above",Cool as Ice, more Batman Returns rumors, the ending to the Gulf War, Amy Grant's "Baby, Baby", backwards caps, Rico Suave, The Tolkelsons, Eerie, Indiana, Leonardo Dicaprio on Growing Pains, MC Hammer dolls, TLCs video for "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", Child's Play 3, Buh Buh Buh Boyz 2 Men, Duke Nukem, Marky Mark, Another Badd Creation, Michael Jackson's "Black or White" appearing after an episode of the Simpsons, Riff, Hi-Five, The Triplets, and X-Men action figures from Toy Biz, Salute Your Shorts, Herman's Head, Drexell's Class with a young Brittany Murphy in it, Tracie Spencer, Surface, Timmy T, Damian Dame, Guys Next Door, Paula Abdul's "Rush Rush", Talk Soup and Comedy Central.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/23/14 at 10:53 am

1993. For a few reasons.

Culturally: Some of the best music came out in 1993.

Personally: Summer 1993 was one of the best Summers I experienced. And later on in the year I started 8th grade and turned 13.

I also like 1994, and 1997. Again, great music came out those years. And I have too many good, personal memories!

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/23/14 at 2:33 pm

I liked 97 and 98's music.  :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/23/14 at 2:37 pm

1994, 1995 and 1996. This was the peak of my childhood!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/14 at 3:21 pm

1993. For a few reasons.

Culturally: Some of the best music came out in 1993.

Personally: Summer 1993 was one of the best Summers I experienced. And later on in the year I started 8th grade and turned 13.

I also like 1994, and 1997. Again, great music came out those years. And I have too many good, personal memories!

I feel the same way about 1990,1991 and 1992.

Written By: Jquar on 09/23/14 at 3:25 pm

1994 or 1995. Had a lot of good movies/music.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/14 at 4:12 pm

1997.  It was the best year of my life at that time and still is today.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/23/14 at 5:22 pm

Anything but 1999.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/23/14 at 5:26 pm

Anything but 1999.

I like late 1999 for early 'teenhood' nostalgia.

Written By: Inertia on 09/24/14 at 12:47 am

I would say 1997.

This year we received an N64 for Christmas. It was the first gaming system I had at home. Beforehand I only played video games at other people's houses. We opened the game first by accident so we sort of ruined the surprise.

I also won a computer this year in a conservation poetry contest we held in 3rd grade. It was a ghetto black and white computer which only had two games and no internet access. One of the two games were snake. I've forgotten the other so it must have not been one I played often.

At the time I loved anime, especially Sailor Moon. It was not the first anime I ever really became interested in watching, but it was one of the most influential.

Other years I have a fondness of include 1996 and 1998 for similar reasons.

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 6:26 am

Based off of music and pop culture wise, either 1992 or 1995.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/24/14 at 7:35 am

Based off of music and pop culture wise, either 1992 or 1995.

It's good to see a '92 person on here. 1992 was such a two sided year, but there were connections made. For example, "Alternative Express" was on TBS at the start of the year and "Alternative Nation" on MTV at the end of it. The pop culture of the first Clinton era (i.e. FOX's Martin) was incoming and shows (FOX's Get a Life,Video Power and True Colors) from the HW Bush era were on their way out. 1992 was definitely a good year. You had Batman Returns, Basic Instinct, Mo' Money, Barney and Friends, the Beavis and Butthead shorts on "MTV Liquid Television", Picket Fences, TLC, Kris Kross, Das EFX, Jon Secada, Charles & Eddie, Joe Public, Dookie Braids, The Lawnmower Man, Bebe Kids, Bongo jeans, pipe shorts, Hornets Starter Jackets, Reservior Dogs, Wayne's World, the popularity of Glamour Shots, Major Damage/ Cross Colors jean jackets and pants, Tribal Clothing, and the invention of the word "wigger".

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 4:45 pm

It's good to see a '92 person on here. 1992 was such a two sided year, but there were connections made. For example, "Alternative Express" was on TBS at the start of the year and "Alternative Nation" on MTV at the end of it. The pop culture of the first Clinton era (i.e. FOX's Martin) was incoming and shows (FOX's Get a Life,Video Power and True Colors) from the HW Bush era were on their way out. 1992 was definitely a good year. You had Batman Returns, Basic Instinct, Mo' Money, Barney and Friends, the Beavis and Butthead shorts on "MTV Liquid Television", Picket Fences, TLC, Kris Kross, Das EFX, Jon Secada, Charles & Eddie, Joe Public, Dookie Braids, The Lawnmower Man, Bebe Kids, Bongo jeans, pipe shorts, Hornets Starter Jackets, Reservior Dogs, Wayne's World, the popularity of Glamour Shots, Major Damage/ Cross Colors jean jackets and pants, Tribal Clothing, and the invention of the word "wigger".
Yup, it was the first year that grunge and gangster rap were in full swing mainstream wise.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/24/14 at 6:48 pm

Yup, it was the first year that grunge and gangster rap were in full swing mainstream wise.

True, but 1992 was also the last year of good political hip hop and New Jack Swing.  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/14 at 8:16 pm

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:26 pm

My favorite is probably 1993 for the following reasons: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butt-Head, Midnight Marauders, Mortal Kombat II, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, and Animaniacs.

You forgot about "Hocus Pocus" starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy.  You also forgot about Madonna's "Girlie Show" tour.  They were 1993's highlights.  Please refresh your notes. Thank you.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:30 pm

My favorite year is hard to pinpoint because the early 90's and late 90's were drastically different times in my life.  I went from being a child to a young adult in that decade.  A true transformation.  My favorite year would always depend on the mood I'm in, or what I'm nostalgic about at that time.  Right now, it would have to be 1999 because that was probably the year I had the most fun, went on lots of dates, went clubbing, partying, had a blast.  I miss the care-free days.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 9:45 pm

I'd say 1990 because it was so close to the 80s. But I am too young to remember, so I'm gonna go with 1996. I think that's the first year I remember quite well and the vibe was still pretty damn old school. Makes me think of pogs, Nintendo, Power Rangers and lots of other great stuff.  ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/04/14 at 5:53 pm

I'd say 1990 because it was so close to the 80s. But I am too young to remember, so I'm gonna go with 1996. I think that's the first year I remember quite well and the vibe was still pretty damn old school. Makes me think of pogs, Nintendo, Power Rangers and lots of other great stuff.  ;D

The latter part of 1990 was pretty 90s with the overabundance of Disney afternoon cartoons, Seal in the video for Adamski's "Killer" and "The King of New York" in Theaters. The picture for most shows shot in 1990 were very different from that of the 80s. The spring of 1990 was nothing but an extension to late '89. I see the fall of '89 to the summer of '90 as one year, but to each its on. All in all, the early 90s (1990,1991,1992 and early '93) were the children to 1989. They weren't 1989, but we wore the same clothes from '89 for most of the early 90s.  Anywho, its great to see a 1990 person here.

"'89 was my time. '90 was my year."

-Vanilla Ice

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/05/14 at 9:14 am

I'm going to say 1991 because being a child, I feel that the best of my childhood occurred that year: Beauty and the Beast, Darkwing Duck, Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, What Would You Do?, Get the Picture, Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains it All, Welcome Freshmen, Home Improvement, Shop 'Til You Drop, The Silence of the Lambs, TGIF still being popular along with Ninja Turtles, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls winning the first of six NBA titles that decade, the release of Sonic the Hedgehog and the Super NES, Battletoads, along with the fact that it was probably the "novelty year" of the '90s with the notable '80s holdovers from 1990 a fraction of what it was, yet with house music, rap continuing to rise in popularity, and grunge, it was refreshing from the cheese of 1988-90. It still felt very old school technologically with Apple II/IIGS computers and dot matrix printers still common as 1992 was CD-ROM's breakthrough year, cassette tapes and CDs the preferred musical formats, and mall culture was still big. I do like the '80s as much as the '90s, and seeing forces collide together (many commercials from 1991 are still quite "80s" sounding/feeling, while 1992 and onwards is clearly '90s. It was also an eventful year, starting with the Gulf War, it was the slowest year economically of the '90s, and it ended with the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 11/11/14 at 7:01 pm

My favorite year of the 90s is 1992.  I was in 1st/2nd grade at the time.  My favorite memories of that year include playing baseball with my grandparents in their backyard, going to Washington DC to visit my cousins (I still have a picture of my fam in front of the Lincoln memorial), and joining a youth nature club that summer at the preserve in my area because I really loved animals. I went to see Fern Gully, Aladdin and Beethoven in the theaters that year. 
    Another element of that time in my childhood that stands out is how I was becoming aware of current events such as the LA riots and the decimation of the USSR. On election night my mom woke me to tell me that Clinton had won; however I will have GB 41 as the first president I really remember.  Musically; that was the first year I had a radio in my room so some of the pop hits that remind of that year are "Damn, I whish I was you Lover" by SBH, "Under the Bridge" by the RHCP. "Constant Cravings" by KD Lang and "Be With You"/"Wild World" by Mister Big. When it came to TV shows my family would look at ABCs family type programming and my brother and I would watch Nick of course.     

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/12/14 at 7:04 pm

I'm going to say 1991 because being a child, I feel that the best of my childhood occurred that year: Beauty and the Beast, Darkwing Duck, Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, What Would You Do?, Get the Picture, Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains it All, Welcome Freshmen, Home Improvement, Shop 'Til You Drop, The Silence of the Lambs, TGIF still being popular along with Ninja Turtles, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls winning the first of six NBA titles that decade, the release of Sonic the Hedgehog and the Super NES, Battletoads, along with the fact that it was probably the "novelty year" of the '90s with the notable '80s holdovers from 1990 a fraction of what it was, yet with house music, rap continuing to rise in popularity, and grunge, it was refreshing from the cheese of 1988-90. It still felt very old school technologically with Apple II/IIGS computers and dot matrix printers still common as 1992 was CD-ROM's breakthrough year, cassette tapes and CDs the preferred musical formats, and mall culture was still big. I do like the '80s as much as the '90s, and seeing forces collide together (many commercials from 1991 are still quite "80s" sounding/feeling, while 1992 and onwards is clearly '90s. It was also an eventful year, starting with the Gulf War, it was the slowest year economically of the '90s, and it ended with the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

The emergence of Compuserve, Mentos commercials, Cross Colors, Sonic the Hedgehog vs. Mario and Yoshi, Nicktoons, the Super Soaker 100, Hypercolor, Rollerblades, more 90210, City Slickers, Niño Brown and Urkelmania....'91 was nothing but a party.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/12/14 at 7:19 pm

My favorite year of the 90s is 1992.  I was in 1st/2nd grade at the time.  My favorite memories of that year include playing baseball with my grandparents in their backyard, going to Washington DC to visit my cousins (I still have a picture of my fam in front of the Lincoln memorial), and joining a youth nature club that summer at the preserve in my area because I really loved animals. I went to see Fern Gully, Aladdin and Beethoven in the theaters that year. 
    Another element of that time in my childhood that stands out is how I was becoming aware of current events such as the LA riots and the decimation of the USSR. On election night my mom woke me to tell me that Clinton had won; however I will have GB 41 as the first president I really remember.  Musically; that was the first year I had a radio in my room so some of the pop hits that remind of that year are "Damn, I whish I was you Lover" by SBH, "Under the Bridge" by the RHCP. "Constant Cravings" by KD Lang and "Be With You"/"Wild World" by Mister Big. When it came to TV shows my family would look at ABCs family type programming and my brother and I would watch Nick of course.   

Kris Kross, Mortal Kombat, Beavis and Butthead shorts on Liquid Television, Image's Spawn, Sir Mix-A-Lot "I Like Big Butts", Wayne's World, Treasure Trolls, Wolfenstein 3D, Basic Instinct, My Cousin Vinnie, The Player, The Chronic, The Crying Game, American Gladiators galore,  Melrose Place, The Real World, Teen Talk Barbie "Math is hard"and TLC. '92 was the last great year of the 90s.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/13/14 at 8:50 am

Looking look, I kind of run 1990-1992 together. So many great memories.

1993:
The third and last time we visited relatives in Virginia.
My first full year into pro wrestling.
I start to become interested in the NBA, NFL and college football.
Rode an upside down amusement park ride for the first time.
Entered a new school for the first time in 7 years.
Possibly my favorite Christmas ever.

1994:
Met up with my best friend in school whom I hadn't seen or heard from in about five years.
My family bought a camcorder for the first time
PPV for the first time
First ever real girlfriend

1996:
The year music started to become as important to me as movies.
Moved to a new house. We had lived in the previous one for 8 years.
I entered high school.

1998:
Starting in July, saw so many damn movies in the theater. I was obsessed.
I went online for the first time.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/13/14 at 10:39 pm

You forgot about "Hocus Pocus" starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy.  You also forgot about Madonna's "Girlie Show" tour.  They were 1993's highlights.  Please refresh your notes. Thank you.

Hocus Pocus was awesome!

Written By: Catherine91UK on 11/22/14 at 1:30 pm

1999 was an exciting year for me as a 7-year-old. We got a new car that year, we got our first computer that year, I think I first used the internet (at school) that year, I watched a solar eclipse, and of course there was the build-up to the millennium!

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/23/14 at 5:55 am

1999 was an exciting year for me as a 7-year-old. We got a new car that year, we got our first computer that year, I think I first used the internet (at school) that year, I watched a solar eclipse, and of course there was the build-up to the millennium!

I remember that solar eclipse! It was cool to see. And every day in 1999, the news papers counted down the days before the new millennium.

Written By: J. Rob on 11/28/14 at 3:57 pm

This is a tough one

Personally, 1993 was the most nostalgic, 1995 most well rounded, 1997 was the coolest

1997 was like the perfect balance of the of the mid 90s and the raw origins of the early 00s. The way I see it

The 90s (1990-1996)
The 00s (1998-2007)

and '97 was it's own thing

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/14 at 2:33 am

Every year of the 90's was a favourite year for me, for it is good to be alive!

Written By: Howard on 12/15/14 at 6:50 am

Every year of the 90's was a favourite year for me, for it is good to be alive!

I agree with you.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 12/15/14 at 9:32 am

Looking look, I kind of run 1990-1992 together. So many great memories.

1993:
The third and last time we visited relatives in Virginia.
My first full year into pro wrestling.
I start to become interested in the NBA, NFL and college football.
Rode an upside down amusement park ride for the first time.
Entered a new school for the first time in 7 years.
Possibly my favorite Christmas ever.

1994:
Met up with my best friend in school whom I hadn't seen or heard from in about five years.
My family bought a camcorder for the first time
PPV for the first time
First ever real girlfriend

1996:
The year music started to become as important to me as movies.
I entered high school.

1998:
Starting in July, saw so many damn movies in the theater. I was obsessed.
I went online for the first time.

I run 1990-1992 together also, they're my favorite years of the entire decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 12/15/14 at 9:35 am

Not all of 1992 was clearly '90s. The fall of '92 certainly gives you an idea of what the mid 90s (1993-1996) will be like. Even then, 1992 didn't have the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Animaniacs and all of the other crap from the mid 1990s.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 02/02/15 at 1:31 pm

Tough one. I think I'll go with 1995 with 1991 as a runner-up.  Windows 95 and Yahoo launched the modern era of the internet that year. Eurodance in its prime. Cultural globalization was still in its infancy. I was in my early 20s. Everything felt so fresh.

MC Hammer - Can't Touch This 1990
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 1991
Counting Crows - Mr. Jones 1993
La Bouche - Be My Lover 1995
Alice DJ - Better Off Alone 1998

Written By: Starde on 03/16/15 at 11:22 pm

I remember that solar eclipse! It was cool to see. And every day in 1999, the news papers counted down the days before the new millennium.

Also remember that solar eclipse! Happened around my birthday that year.

Check for new replies or respond here...