inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teen Pop

Written By: Visor765 on 09/22/14 at 1:21 am

I want to talk about the teen pop of the late 1990s/early 2000s. It became popular in early 1997 due to the likes of the Spice Girls and Hanson with their songs "Wannabe" and "MMMBop".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

According to Arrowstone's fancy chart, it continued to rise until it reached it's peak in late 1998.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dcXmd3lPE5Q/U-4NFop9UOI/AAAAAAAAANk/5kkOhZKdt3A/s1600/Billboard6.png

When you compare Teen Pop to Disco, their declines are about the same. Disco peaked in late 1978, and Teen Pop peaked in late 1998. Disco began it's decline on the charts from 1979 onwards. Teen Pop's decline was much the same way. And in spite of all this, people act as if 1999/2000 was the peak of Teen Pop, not the decline. You can look at the Year-End charts and notice Teen Pop is there, but it's not as dominant as it was previously. Here are the Year-End charts for all of the years that Teen Pop was present:

1997: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1997
1998: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1998
1999: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1999
2000: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2000
2001: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2001
2002: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2002

1996 was the last year of the '90s that was Teen Pop-less. 2003 was the first year of the '00s that was Teen Pop-less. Teen Pop was present for 6 years, it eventually had to go away, but I'm surprised by how long it really lasted. People tend to think that it was a really short fad, but this proves that it was popular for long enough to actually become a major trend. Unfortunately, it occurred during a transitional period in time (late part of previous decade/early part of next decade). As a result, it was a fad in either decade; it was too short in the '90s, it was too short in the '00s. It's not going to be a major defining point of either decade, but if it's going to be associated with either decade in the future, it's going to be the '90s. There are reasons for this decline. #1, it was getting old; and #2, the target audience was getting older and outgrowing that taste in music. Here are other reasons, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_pop

• Promotional oversaturation of teen pop music in 1999 and 2000;
• The public's changing attitude toward it, deeming teen pop as inauthentic and corporate-produced;
• the transition of the pre-teen and teenage fanbase of these teen pop artists during 1997–2000 to young adulthood (and the accompanying changes in musical interests);
• A growing young adult male base classifying the music, especially boy band music, as effeminate; and
• Other musical genres such as post-grunge rock (like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Creed, and Seether) and hip hop (such as 50 Cent, Eminem, Lil' Wayne and Lil' Jon) began increasing in popularity.

I've also noticed some Teen Pop songs are inspired by Hip-Hop music, quite surprising, but I can hear it. These are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ro0FW9Qt-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvBAONkYwI

The beat isn't too fast, as a matter of fact, you could actually do hip-hop dances to it. The singing is pop, the rhythm is dance, the melody is R&B, and the beat is Hip-Hop (or at least Hip-Hop Soul).

The culture apparently, was ubiquitous. Remember, there was an infantilization of women's and men's fashions in the late 1990s/early 2000s, being at it's most prominent from 1997 until 9/11. Afterwards, it was still common, but not anywhere near as popular. People in their 20s were dressing like elementary schoolers! It wasn't uncommon for a 23 or 25 year old's (both genders) fashion style to be very similar to that of a 12 year old. It became acceptable for an adult woman to wear pigtails and glitter and butterflies, while for guys it became acceptable to center part your hair, bleach and spike your hair, and wear muscle shirts and brighter colors. At least it made them look youthful and fun, like they should have been.

It may get a bad rap, but I actually really like this teen pop music. It was the last time pop music sounded aggressive. When pop became cool again in 2008, it was all electronic. It was "soft" in comparison to the pop of the earlier 2000s. Post 9/11 early 2000s and mid 2000s culture was all hip-hop and rock. What I like about this era of music was that the music was intense. If you had the skills, you could show off your kickin' dance moves. You could do that with the hip-hop of the years later too, but there's something so carefree and lighthearted about this music. People think Teen Pop was ubiquitous in 1999/2000, but there were plenty of other songs out there that weren't Teen Pop, too. Yet somehow, the Teen Pop is all that they remember.

Subject: Re: Teen Pop

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/22/14 at 5:03 am

The Spice Girls didn't last long, one of those acts that was made a huge deal of then it fizzled out. Not to say they didn't have a few good songs. I was never a Britney Spears fan, and Hanson was a one hit wonder. I miss the late 90's though because although pop culture and fashion like you said went in a "younger" direction, it was still fun and at least the artists had talent.

Written By: tv on 09/22/14 at 1:30 pm

The "Baby One More Time" music video is classic and I am a Britney critic. The school girl outfit and Britney's performance in the video(the dance in the hallway) as a whole are classic. I was thinking about that the other day. As a matter of fact I saw once where Tori Amos said once she saw the "Baby One More Time" music video she knew the Lilith Fair trend of women singers was over.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/28/14 at 8:14 pm

Think we need to start with the one male vocal group who started this trend.  Started by the original boy band Swen Galli named Maurice Starr and who without most teen popsters wouldn't exist.  :)

New Kids On The Block

ay6GjmiJTPM

Step By Step

JTo3N73hpPg

Tonight

ZmDi3N-4Ckc

Games

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/14 at 8:21 pm

Teen pop definitely peaked in 1999/2000, especially 1999. I don't feel that late '98 was the peak of teen pop.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/14 at 3:15 pm

Think we need to start with the one male vocal group who started this trend.  Started by the original boy band Swen Galli named Maurice Starr and who without most teen popsters wouldn't exist.  :)

New Kids On The Block

ay6GjmiJTPM

Step By Step

JTo3N73hpPg

Tonight

ZmDi3N-4Ckc

Games

I think New Kids On The Block ended the 80's with Teen Pop.

Written By: dnt88 on 10/30/14 at 11:32 am

Teen pop definitely peaked in 1999/2000, especially 1999. I don't feel that late '98 was the peak of teen pop.

I remember that the backstreet boys were very popular in 1998, but teenpop reached its peak in 1999/2000 when britney spears and christina aguilera became popular worldwide. I stopped listening to teenpop because it became very sexual in 2001-2002. Britney spears and christina aguilera started taking their clothes off and teenpop was not innocent and funny anymore. And when you become a teenager you realize teenpop is... stupid and silly.  :P But I can't deny I really liked this music because it still had some of the innocence of the 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/30/14 at 2:20 pm

I remember that the backstreet boys were very popular in 1998, but teenpop reached its peak in 1999/2000 when britney spears and christina aguilera became popular worldwide. I stopped listening to teenpop because it became very sexual in 2001-2002. Britney spears and christina aguilera started taking their clothes off and teenpop was not innocent and funny anymore. And when you become a teenager you realize teenpop is... stupid and silly.  :P But I can't deny I really liked this music because it still had some of the innocence of the 90's.

I remember I'm a slave 4 U and Dirrty!

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/14 at 6:10 pm

True.  The boy bands also took on a more urban sound in 2001, remixing their songs with rappers such as Nelly.  The peak of teeh pop was really the 1999-2000 school year.  As for how old you have to be to like it, I guess that depends on if you are a guy or a girl.  Guys who still liked teen pop after age 13 or so had their sexuality questioned.  Girls on the other hand were free to like it all the way until it faded.  You can really tell how old guys were in the '99-00 school year by how they react when a Backstreet Boys song comes on.  If you were in elementary school or younger you are super nostalgic for it.  If you were in middle or high school, you still think its gay/lame.

Written By: robby76 on 10/31/14 at 8:32 pm

My only issue with that graph is that many acts would crossover lots of genres. Look at people like Brandy... she was very much teen r'n'b pop. Where did she come in on this poll? Same for Destiny's Child and lots of other black acts. I reckon even though they were technically teen pop, because they were black, they'd be lumbered in the "contemporary rnb" statistics.

A lot of New Jack Swing was very teen pop too... Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill, Karyn White etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/02/14 at 2:07 pm

My only issue with that graph is that many acts would crossover lots of genres. Look at people like Brandy... she was very much teen r'n'b pop. Where did she come in on this poll? Same for Destiny's Child and lots of other black acts. I reckon even though they were technically teen pop, because they were black, they'd be lumbered in the "contemporary rnb" statistics.

A lot of New Jack Swing was very teen pop too... Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill, Karyn White etc.

I agree.  However, urban radio stations wouldn't go anywhere near groups like the Backstreet Boys or 'Nsync but played Destiny's Child and Brandy pretty regularly.  They are very distinct genres with the only difference is they both appealed to teens.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/02/14 at 3:55 pm

True.  The boy bands also took on a more urban sound in 2001, remixing their songs with rappers such as Nelly.  The peak of teeh pop was really the 1999-2000 school year.  As for how old you have to be to like it, I guess that depends on if you are a guy or a girl.  Guys who still liked teen pop after age 13 or so had their sexuality questioned.  Girls on the other hand were free to like it all the way until it faded.  You can really tell how old guys were in the '99-00 school year by how they react when a Backstreet Boys song comes on.  If you were in elementary school or younger you are super nostalgic for it.  If you were in middle or high school, you still think its gay/lame.

I was 20 when the BSB vs NSYNC thing was happening.  I must say that the Backstreet Boys had music that was vastly superior to NSYNC and all of the made on TV boy bands that were going on that year.
The thing that really bugged me about NSYNC was that Justin had this holier than thou attitude that the Backstreet Boys didn't have.  Kevin Richardson had become an excellent father figure to the whole band.  Kevin was like the older brother.  So when AJ went on his drug bender he got through to AJ that he was causing harm to himself and everyone else is when the whole band as a unit came together to intervene before he died.
So that's what I like about the Backstreet Boys is that they're like one whole family unit and when one of their family members is having trouble it affects all of them.

Written By: XYkid on 11/03/14 at 12:46 am

That would make sense since I was in Kindergarden when the millennium turned. I've noticed that my guy friends born 1990 and before cannot stand BSB or Nsync.

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/03/14 at 4:56 am

I know, crossing over is a problem for some songs. Just keep that in mind.

The first ever pop act I remember are the Back Street Boys in 1997. I don't know if i'm happy with that though  :P

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/03/14 at 4:57 am

Also lots of songs in those days with a funky bass line, if I remember correctly.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/14 at 7:01 pm

Now that I think about it, you are right. There are different genres that white artists are placed into whatever genre they sing about while non-whites are more likely to be placed in the same genre all because of their race.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/10/14 at 7:32 pm

Now that think about it, teen pop in 1997 didn't seem like teen pop at all. It's strange but it wasn't like the teen pop that came after or before. 1998 and 1999 seemed more teen pop oriented because there were all those Boy group bands. Maybe it's just me lol! 

Written By: aja675 on 11/12/14 at 4:58 am

Guys who still liked teen pop after age 13 or so had their sexuality questioned.
I have experienced this.

Written By: tv on 12/06/14 at 6:38 pm

Ralph yeah "Sensitivity" does sound teen-pop r&b. Johnny Gill and Karyn White I would not list them as teen-pop. Johnny Gill had been around the entire decade of the 80's before he crossed over onto pop radio in 1990 with "Rub You With The Right Way". Johnny Gill used to date singer Stacy Lattisaw in the 80's and they did a few duets together. Johnny and Stacy were not listed as teen-pop r&b in the 80's(you could make a case they were) but there was never a big teen-pop trend like "New Kids On the Block" around in the early 1980's to compare them too.

I agree with you on Brandy too she was teen-pop r&b as was Monica and Aaliyah until her final album before she passed away. I liked Monica's music a lot back in the 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...