inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s video games era

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/25/14 at 11:11 pm

What do you all like about this era?

I like how there was variety of games such as platformers, adventures, RPGs, puzzle, fighting, and party. You had Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Link, Samus and Knuckles. The games had hidden codes, hints, and powerups that were featured in magazines. You could play all day with single player, or with your friends on multiplayer without online  which made it easier to have fun. The graphics weren't always important, just the gameplay itself. The games were more detailed with the storyline, the missions, and controls. The box covers were amazing.  Last, the games didn't have loading times. It was just instant.

So, what did you guys like about this game period?

Subject: Re: The 90s video games era

Written By: nally on 09/25/14 at 11:33 pm

Probably the early part of the era. That's what I got "into" the most.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/25/14 at 11:38 pm

Probably the early part of the era. That's what I got "into" the most.
That means you more likely played the SNES and Sega Genesis era of games. So much fun.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/14 at 4:38 am

I liked the simplicity of the games from that era. I agree about the graphics not being important. We didn't know any better and huge pixels belonged to video gaming ;)

Unfortunately, I have never had a Super Nintendo but I had a Game Boy which was like the small version of a Super Nintendo. This definitely defined my childhood. I prefered "Jump and Run" games like Super Mario when I was a kid and when I was a teenager, I shifted towards games like Tetris. I have actually played with my Game Boy Color until around 2002.

It really was a revolution when the N64 came out. I also never had it, but I read a lot about it in the late 90s and tried it out in stores. Since I was so used to linear 2D gaming, I was always curious how 3D gaming could work. It was the first time I saw games where you had to find the direction on your own (Super Mario 64). 

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 6:59 am

I definitely liked Sonic The Hedgehog for the Super Nintendo and played with my Gameboy Kirby's Dreamland and Raw Is War

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Kirbys_Dream_Land_Whispy.png

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/joekim00/img029.jpg

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/14 at 7:01 am

I (...) played with my Gameboy Kirby's Dreamland (...)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Kirbys_Dream_Land_Whispy.png

Memories  :o  8)

I got this for my 7th birthday!

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 7:38 am

My system was a Super Nintendo and I played Mario and Donkey Kong and had a ball. I'd have made a day of it if I could.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 7:41 am

I liked the simplicity of the games from that era. I agree about the graphics not being important. We didn't know any better and huge pixels belonged to video gaming ;)

Unfortunately, I have never had a Super Nintendo but I had a Game Boy which was like the small version of a Super Nintendo. This definitely defined my childhood. I prefered "Jump and Run" games like Super Mario when I was a kid and when I was a teenager, I shifted towards games like Tetris. I have actually played with my Game Boy Color until around 2002.

It really was a revolution when the N64 came out. I also never had it, but I read a lot about it in the late 90s and tried it out in stores. Since I was so used to linear 2D gaming, I was always curious how 3D gaming could work. It was the first time I saw games where you had to find the direction on your own (Super Mario 64).
it sure was. The N64 was the first console to have an analog stick as the ps1 and sega saturn began with controllers that still didn't have a analog stick (the PS1 and sega saturn analog controllers weren't released until 1996/97). You're also right with the 3D gaming. It was a  brand new idea introduced in video games that it made people curious about how the games would work with the 3D modeling.  It even gave games an amazing adventure to explore almost any where in the game. As of right now, some 3D games from the 90s are considered masterpieces because of the idea being in games made it simple to find your way and experience hidden areas that were not found in 2D gaming.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 7:50 am

My system was a Super Nintendo and I played Mario and Donkey Kong and had a ball. I'd have made a day of it if I could.
same here  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 7:51 am

Memories  :o  8)

I got this for my 7th birthday!

Did you like the game?

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 8:01 am

same here  :)

Good times!  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 8:40 am

Good times!  8)
Yep  :). it's a shame games aren't like that anymore. I rather play for hours than take breaks in between.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/26/14 at 9:20 am

Ah, the 90s.  I tend to be more into games from the second half of the era, but most of the decade was great.  A lot of early 3D games from 1995 and 1996 have aged terribly, with some notable exceptions like Super Mario 64, but the whole era overall was a great one and a lot of it, especially the 2D games, has aged incredibly well. 

Games today just aren't the same, with their constant micro transactions and DLC of content that was once free before.  Plus the industry is less willing to take risks since costs to make video games have exploded.  The industry started to gradually decline in quality around 2009 or so, at least in my opinion.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/26/14 at 9:52 am

We had the Super Nintendo throughout most of the '90s. Good times too, so fun! My favorite game was called "Mario All-stars". It had all kinds of different Super Mario Brothers games.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 1:01 pm

Yep  :). it's a shame games aren't like that anymore. I rather play for hours than take breaks in between.

I still have my Gameboy but I rarely play my games on it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 4:08 pm

I still have my Gameboy but I rarely play my games on it.
How come?

We had the Super Nintendo throughout most of the '90s. Good times too, so fun! My favorite game was called "Mario All-stars". It had all kinds of different Super Mario Brothers games.  :)
Me too. That was also one of favorite SNES games. I liked how on the original SMB2 of the all-stars version that you were able to continue the game on the same level after game over.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/14 at 5:25 pm

How come?

I also don't play with my Game Boy anymore. There is enough entertainment around and my smartphone is of course much better today. The Game Boy was good for its time, but this is over and I only like it for nostalgic reasons.

I would also think that people would look at you if you had a Game Boy on the subway or anywhere else in public. The last time I remember using a Game Boy in public with no fear was on a train in early 2002.

Written By: nally on 09/26/14 at 8:16 pm

That means you more likely played the SNES and Sega Genesis era of games. So much fun.

Not quite... I played the Nintendo Gameboy era of games. But I did occasionally play some Sega Genesis, but only when I went to a friend's house, or there was one in a public place that anyone could play.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/26/14 at 9:19 pm

http://bandbent.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/super-mario-world-header.jpg

I was extremely irate when the Super Nintendo came out. I had just received a NES for the Christmas of 1990 and I had no idea they were coming out with that one.

http://cutpasteprint.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/sansic.jpg

No one at my school was a Genesis fan. I remember people bringing in their Gameboys when they didn't have a Sony Discman clipped to their belts. Just when I thought Nintendo had no real competition, here comes Sonic the Hedgehog. The first time I saw that small blue spiny mammal was in the summer of '91. I remember playing Sonic on a 40 inch screen in Sam's Club. It blew me away but I still hate Sega Genesis with a passion to this day. Nintendo still won the console wars with ease.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 6:40 am

How come?

I don't know, I just stopped.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 6:42 am

I also don't play with my Game Boy anymore. There is enough entertainment around and my smartphone is of course much better today. The Game Boy was good for its time, but this is over and I only like it for nostalgic reasons.

I got my PS3 for entertainment reasons.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 6:43 am

I would also think that people would look at you if you had a Game Boy on the subway or anywhere else in public.

They would say "1989 called, they want their Gameboy back". ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/27/14 at 7:28 am

I was extremely irate when the Super Nintendo came out. I had just received a NES for the Christmas of 1990 and I had no idea they were coming out with that one.

No one at my school was a Genesis fan. I remember people bringing in their Gameboys when they didn't have a Sony Discman clipped to their belts. Just when I thought Nintendo had no real competition, here comes Sonic the Hedgehog. The first time I saw that small blue spiny mammal was in the summer of '91. I remember playing Sonic on a 40 inch screen in Sam's Club. It blew me away but I still hate Sega Genesis with a passion to this day. Nintendo still won the console wars with ease.

My SNES came with older Mario games. They were a little tougher to play actually. The racoon tail was fun to fly with though. Then there was a version that had some pink monster that spit eggs at you and vines to climb. Plus you could play as the princess, Luigi, or the mushroom guy.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/27/14 at 5:23 pm

My SNES came with older Mario games. They were a little tougher to play actually. The racoon tail was fun to fly with though. Then there was a version that had some pink monster that spit eggs at you and vines to climb. Plus you could play as the princess, Luigi, or the mushroom guy.

Remember these:

http://www.gamesniped.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SEGA-GENESIS-VIDEO-GAME-GLOVES.jpg

When compared to this (image below), those were freezy freakies.

http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/wiki/files/78/NES-Power-Glove.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 5:50 pm

Remember these:

http://www.gamesniped.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SEGA-GENESIS-VIDEO-GAME-GLOVES.jpg

Wasn't the Power Glove for Nintendo? ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 7:04 pm

Not quite... I played the Nintendo Gameboy era of games. But I did occasionally play some Sega Genesis, but only when I went to a friend's house, or there was one in a public place that anyone could play.
Did you and your friends have that Nintendo and Sega friendly war with each other?

Is this true? and what did you hate about the Genesis?

I don't know, I just stopped.
Do you have a NDS or 3DS?

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/27/14 at 7:05 pm

Remember these:

Not at all, how did they work? I remember when Nintendo came with a gun accessory for games.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/27/14 at 7:14 pm

Me too. That was also one of favorite SNES games. I liked how on the original SMB2 of the all-stars version that you were able to continue the game on the same level after game over.

That's true! Back then I was too busy having fun playing the game and didn't notice that, lol. I liked that the players could choose from 4 different characters to play. I always chose Princess Peach because it was easier to complete the levels with. ;D 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 7:24 pm

That's true! Back then I was too busy having fun playing the game and didn't notice that, lol. I liked that the players could choose from 4 different characters to play. I always chose Princess Peach because it was easier to complete the levels with. ;D
No. I meant the Lost Levels SMB2. You were able to restart the same level even after you got a game over. however, for the US SMB2, I did like that you began with 5 lives instead of 3. Also, after you got a game over, instead of restarting from the first world and level, you restart at the world you made it to and it begins with the first level of that world.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/27/14 at 7:32 pm

Did you and your friends have that Nintendo and Sega friendly war with each other?
Is this true? and what did you hate about the Genesis?

In the late 80s/early 90s, you were no one if you did not own an NES. There were Nintendo parties for us like the Twin Peaks parties adults held. I remember coming over to a friend's house in the evening just to play Excitebike. There were also people who hung out at their compadre's house right after school. The games from the mid 80s were still being played by people my age back then. I played Wheel of Fortune, Paperboy, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt all in 1992. The Nintendo Game Boy was just as popular as the NES. My brother knew someone who had a trove of Gameboy cartridges and the case.

Yeah, I couldn't get into the Genesis. I could tolerate the Sonic the Hedgehog games, but I hated the controllers, sound and the complex games for Sega Genesis. I'll never know what my little brother saw in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist. He was practically begging for that game in '92. I prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time for the SNES to it. Genesis games were harder than even games for the NES like Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I spent hours trying the beat that one over at a friend's house.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/27/14 at 7:51 pm

Not at all, how did they work? I remember when Nintendo came with a gun accessory for games.

The Sega video game gloves from '92 were just a pair of gloves you could play a Genesis game in. They prevented finger bruises. That was their only purpose.

The Power Glove, on the other hand, worked as a controller to the NES. My brother wanted both the Gameboy and Power Glove for the Christmas of 1989.
Look at these prices:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_R86InK_cNec/SmjT-dqHpfI/AAAAAAAAAr8/BSMMcYZAjyo/s1600-h/Toys%20%27R%20Us%20November%2026%2C%201989%5B5%5D.jpg

The Power Glove came in two sizes and ran for 75 to 80 dollars. Of course, he did not see either one of them in that year. As time went on, he finally got a Gameboy, but the Game Gear was in vogue. Needless to say, the Game Gear was a heck of a lot better. You could watch TV on the Game Gear.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4xz0qVQPqFQ/UEwoCDeGUqI/AAAAAAAAEdA/8_DfiMdEMds/s1600/gamegear_tv.jpg

Then, Nintendo released Gameboy Color years after the Game Gear was on the market. To sum it up, Nintendo ruled in the late 80s and early 90s. Sega owned the mid 1990s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 7:52 pm

In the late 80s/early 90s, you were no one if you did not own an NES. There were Nintendo parties for us like the Twin Peaks parties adults held. I remember coming over to a friend's house in the evening just to play Excitebike. There were also people who hung out at their compadre's house right after school. The games from the mid 80s were still being played by people my age back then. I played Wheel of Fortune, Paperboy, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt all in 1992. The Nintendo Game Boy was just as popular as the NES. My brother knew someone who had a trove of Gameboy cartridges and the case.

Yeah, I couldn't get into the Genesis. I could tolerate the Sonic the Hedgehog games, but I hated the controllers, sound and the complex games for Sega Genesis. I'll never know what my little brother saw in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist. He was practically begging for that game in '92. I prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time for the SNES to it. Genesis games were harder than even games for the NES like Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I spent hours trying the beat that one over at a friend's house.
Were you laughed at if you had a Sega Master System? and I know what you mean. I have played both SNES and Genesis games and I conquered more of the SNES games than the Genesis games. I did conquer some genesis games, but they were mostly Sonic games, some puzzles and a few RPGs.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/27/14 at 7:57 pm

Were you laughed at if you had a Sega Master System? and I know what you mean. I have played both SNES and Genesis games and I conquered more of the SNES games than the Genesis games. I did conquer some genesis games, but they were mostly Sonic games, some puzzles and a few RPGs.

No, you would not be laughed at if you had a Sega Master System. People ,in those days, would just look at you because Sega was the ugly stepbrother to Nintendo. Those "Sega does what Nintendon't" ads were obnoxious to people my age.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 11:44 pm

No, you would not be laughed at if you had a Sega Master System. People ,in those days, would just look at you because Sega was the ugly stepbrother to Nintendo. Those "Sega does what Nintendon't" ads were obnoxious to people my age.
So the teens of 90s disliked the sega Genesis because of that commercial? 

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/28/14 at 12:06 am

So the teens of 90s disliked the sega Genesis because of that commercial?

No, teens of the late 80s and early 90s overlooked the Sega Genesis from 1989 to 1992.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/28/14 at 10:57 am

No, teens of the late 80s and early 90s overlooked the Sega Genesis from 1989 to 1992.
Was it fancy to 80s/90s teens?

Written By: Howard on 09/28/14 at 2:33 pm

Do you have a NDS or 3DS?

No, I have a PS3.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/14 at 2:34 pm

The Power Glove worked with motion sensor something like The Wii.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/28/14 at 2:36 pm

Was it fancy to 80s/90s teens?

No, it was overshadowed by the NES and Gameboy at the time. The NES had better games and Sega did not have a mascot like Mario from '89 to mid '91. Also, you could not go anywhere without seeing the word Nintendo in the late 80s and early 90s. Turn on the TV and there was Captain N: The Game Master, go to Walderbooks and read Nintendo Power, go to Caldors and pick up Super Mario Bros pajamas and who could forget the Tetris crackers over at Food Lion. Mario was even in the paper:

http://platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspaper/mariomania881.JPG

Nintendo had cornered the market in those years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/28/14 at 4:01 pm

No, I have a PS3.
do you still play games on it?

No, it was overshadowed by the NES and Gameboy at the time. The NES had better games and Sega did not have a mascot like Mario from '89 to mid '91. Also, you could not go anywhere without seeing the word Nintendo in the late 80s and early 90s. Turn on the TV and there was Captain N: The Game Master, go to Walderbooks and read Nintendo Power, go to Caldors and pick up Super Mario Bros pajamas and who could forget the Tetris crackers over at Food Lion. Mario was even in the paper:

http://platypuscomix.net/fpo/newspaper/mariomania881.JPG

Nintendo had cornered the market in those years.
They sure did. Nintendo ruled the game industry until Sega developed their own mascot which was sonic. However, before Sonic they did have a mascot who was Alex Kidd, but he wasn't the official mascot at the time. Because of that, Sega definitely lost the war on the 3rd game generation consoles and part of the 4th one. After Sonic was released, it was an all out console war between Nintendo and Sega until Sony released the PlayStation in 1995.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/28/14 at 5:11 pm

I love the early FPS games for PC like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Heretic, etc.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/14 at 1:34 pm

do you still play games on it?

I play only one of my games and I play it once in a while.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/14 at 9:40 pm

I love the early FPS games for PC like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Heretic, etc.

Never did PC games, I don't have an ideal computer for it. I played Wolfenstein on Xbox360 and I hear good things about the new one. Even for something made in the late 2000's the graphics weren't as good as they could be. I wasn't into FPS games before, but that was my first. Bioshock is alright too, but I don't like how it's all the same environment.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/29/14 at 10:05 pm

What do you all like about this era?

I like how there was variety of games such as platformers, adventures, RPGs, puzzle, fighting, and party. You had Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Link, Samus and Knuckles. The games had hidden codes, hints, and powerups that were featured in magazines. You could play all day with single player, or with your friends on multiplayer without online  which made it easier to have fun. The graphics weren't always important, just the gameplay itself. The games were more detailed with the storyline, the missions, and controls. The box covers were amazing.  Last, the games didn't have loading times. It was just instant.

So, what did you guys like about this game period?

I'll admit to being biased, but I think that the '90s were the best decade for video games we've ever seen. 8)

My first console was a Super Nintendo, which I got for Christmas in 1992, and the Sega Genesis came as a present for my birthday the next year. The sheer number of great games in the 16-bit era is just staggering looking back (Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, the Sonic Trilogy, Final Fantasy's IV through VI, Super Mario Kart, to name only a few). In the second half of the decade, the release of 3D consoles was a true revolution that totally blew everyone away. Those late '90s games might not look like much today, but the ability that they gave you to explore fully 3-Dimensional worlds was unparalleled at the time. Gamers of a certain age will never forget what it was like to play Final Fantasy VII,  LOZ: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for the first time.

One thing I really miss about gaming in that era are the "urban legends" that often got passed around in the schoolyard about certain games. Stuff like Luigi being playable in Super Mario 64, the Triforce being obtainable in Ocarina of Time, various theories about how to catch Mew on Pokemon Red and Blue, the warp whistles on Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. The internet was still small enough throughout the decade that, even in the late '90s, it was basically impossible to find out what was legit and what wasn't, so you'd spend hours running around on Final Fantasy VI, trying to revive General Leo just because some kid in your class told you that you could.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/14 at 10:09 pm

I'll admit to being biased, but I think that the '90s were the best decade for video games we've ever seen. 8)

My first console was a Super Nintendo, which I got for Christmas in 1992, and the Sega Genesis came as a present for my birthday the next year. The sheer number of great games in the 16-bit era is just staggering looking back (Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, the Sonic Trilogy, Final Fantasy's IV through VI, Super Mario Kart, to name only a few). In the second half of the decade, the release of 3D consoles was a true revolution that totally blew everyone away. Those late '90s games might not look like much today, but the ability that they gave you to explore fully 3-Dimensional worlds was unparalleled at the time. Gamers of a certain age will never forget what it was like to play Final Fantasy VII,  LOZ: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for the first time.

One thing I really miss about gaming in that era are the "urban legends" that often got passed around in the schoolyard about certain games. Stuff like Luigi being playable in Super Mario 64, the Triforce being obtainable in Ocarina of Time, various theories about how to catch Mew on Pokemon Red and Blue, the warp whistles on Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. The internet was still small enough throughout the decade that, even in the late '90s, it was basically impossible to find out what was legit and what wasn't, so you'd spend hours running around on Final Fantasy VI, trying to revive General Leo just because some kid in your class told you that you could.

I miss the simplicity of game play where you typically played through left to right on the screen. Not that they weren't challenging. Still, you can't compare graphics of now and then by any means. It's more realistic with each new game. What I want to see however, is more platforming and less shooters. There is an overabundance of shooters.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/29/14 at 10:40 pm

I miss the simplicity of game play where you typically played through left to right on the screen. Not that they weren't challenging. Still, you can't compare graphics of now and then by any means. It's more realistic with each new game. What I want to see however, is more platforming and less shooters. There is an overabundance of shooters.

Totally agree. My two favorite genre's have always been platformers and RPG's, which sadly seem to be in short supply these days, at least here in North America. I don't mind shooters, but the market has just been way too over saturated with Call of Duty and Halo clones in recent years.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/14 at 10:45 pm

Totally agree. My two favorite genre's have always been platformers and RPG's, which sadly seem to be in short supply these days, at least here in North America. I don't mind shooters, but the market has just been way too over saturated with Call of Duty and Halo clones in recent years.

Platforming is more fun because you can run, jump, climb, and explore. Usually you have a sword to fight with too. RPG's are good for exploring, but I don't have the patience for them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/29/14 at 11:13 pm

Same here. my first was also SNES and it was amazing. You're also right that the 4th generation of gaming had some of the best games ever in the 90s. In fact, I have played some of the ones you listed. Even though they were challenging, I had a fun time :). You're also correct with the 3D gaames, It was so awesome playing 3D games for the first time. It was definitely a time period where gaming had transitioned from 2D to 3D. Once again, you're even right with hidden secrets in video games. I dont see those as much anymore. I have only seen it in a few games.

So true. Every game I see being released today especially with shooters have these realistic graphics. They dont need them. the gameplay is more important than the graphics. I also agree with both of you that there needs to be more variety of game genres. I miss that so much. I havent seen many genres of games since the mid 2000s as thats when Halo had 2 games and CoD was barely even there. Shooting games are fun and all, but there needs to be more racing, adventure, platforming, RPGs, puzzle, and party games today like back in the 90s and 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/14 at 2:29 pm

even Gameboy came out with good video games in the 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...