inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s fashion

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 12:00 am

What were the weirdest fashion trends of that decade?

To me, it were overalls especially with the one lap down. The JNCOs. The bowl cut (thank goodness i never got one). The haircut with the empty middle part.  And Jennifer Aniston's Rachel hair style.

What were yours?

Subject: Re: 90s fashion

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/26/14 at 6:49 am

In the spring of 1991, I remember guys wearing overalls with both straps down.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 7:36 am

Tacky items I wore:

Childhood-Paint splattered jeans. Tie dye cloth overalls. Stirrup leggings. Colored jeans. Velour shirts.
Early teens-Glittery plastic butterfly hair clips. Metalic lip gloss. Striped leg jeans. Mood rings that turned your fingers green. Plastic tattoo chokers.

I remember boys with the bowl cut hair, and JNCO jeans too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 8:10 am

did that looked out of place to you?

Tacky items I wore:

Childhood-Paint splattered jeans. Tie dye cloth overalls. Stirrup leggings. Colored jeans. Velour shirts.
Early teens-Glittery plastic butterfly hair clips. Metalic lip gloss. Striped leg jeans. Mood rings that turned your fingers green. Plastic tattoo chokers.

I remember boys with the bowl cut hair, and JNCO jeans too.
I've seen on 90s kid tag videos that girls have said that tattoo chokers were one of the weirdest fashion trends as it was around your neck and possibly could have choked you. Did mood rings really turn your fingers into different colors?

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 8:22 am

I've seen on 90s kid tag videos that girls have said that tattoo chokers were one of the weirdest fashion trends as it was around your neck and possibly could have choked you. Did mood rings really turn your fingers into different colors?

I don't think the chokers would choke you. They were a thin, stretchy plastic that held together by a plastic ball through one of the holes. Easily ripped off or cut off. Mood rings were made of cheap metal that would make my fingers green because of it. My mood necklace never did because it only touched my shirt.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/26/14 at 8:34 am

Yes, it was quite rare to find people wearing their overalls like that at the time. Most "individuals" wore them with both straps intact and others had them on with the one strap down, like you mentioned earlier. I believe Vanilla Ice wore his Skidz overalls with no straps attached for one of his early '91 tours, but Don't quote me on that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 8:37 am

I don't think the chokers would choke you. They were a thin, stretchy plastic that held together by a plastic ball through one of the holes. Easily ripped off or cut off. Mood rings were made of cheap metal that would make my fingers green because of it. My mood necklace never did because it only touched my shirt.
Oh. I see.  Did you feel uncomfortable wearing those chokers?  If your fingers were different colors, would they return to their normal colors  after a certain amount of time?

Yes, it was quite rare to find people wearing their overalls like that at the time. Most "individuals" wore them with both straps intact and others had them on with the one strap down, like you mentioned earlier. I believe Vanilla Ice wore his Skidz overalls with no straps attached for one of his early '91 tours, but Don't quote me on that.
Did you wear overalls most of the time during the 90s?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/26/14 at 10:18 am

No, during the 90s, I primarily wore jeans and Nike shirts.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/26/14 at 11:38 am

Lol, I remember that!

I guess the weirdest fashion trend I can remember is when the girls started wearing black/dark lipstick, that was around 1995. The weird thing was it didn't look Halloween-ish or anything. I remember wearing the dark lip color once during that time. Didn't like it, so after that I never did again.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/14 at 4:03 pm

No, during the 90s, I primarily wore jeans and Nike shirts.
Did you wear Filas too?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/26/14 at 7:50 pm

Did you wear Filas too?

No, but I know people who wore FX-100s in '92. I was too much of a Nike guy.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 8:20 pm

Oh. I see.  Did you feel uncomfortable wearing those chokers?  If your fingers were different colors, would they return to their normal colors  after a certain amount of time?

They weren't uncomfortable, just funny looking when you think about it now. I also had a coated wire chocker with spikes. My fingers turned back to normal when I didn't wear the ring. http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_mood_ring_give_you_a_green_spot_on_your_finger That's why.

Did you wear Filas too?

Spaulding was another brand alot of people wore in the 90's, I had several pairs. L.A. Gear too. I have Filas now that are a bluish purple with bright green. My other shoes are Asics, like most have been.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 12:11 am

No, but I know people who wore FX-100s in '92. I was too much of a Nike guy.
I see. Sport shoes were definitely the rage in the 90s. There was LA Gear, Fila, Jordans, Nike, and Adidas all together.

They weren't uncomfortable, just funny looking when you think about it now. I also had a coated wire chocker with spikes. My fingers turned back to normal when I didn't wear the ring. http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_mood_ring_give_you_a_green_spot_on_your_finger That's why.
Spaulding was another brand alot of people wore in the 90's, I had several pairs. L.A. Gear too. I have Filas now that are a bluish purple with bright green. My other shoes are Asics, like most have been.
Ohh. I see now. I feel like the mood rings were one of the weirdest fashion trends ever during that time. Also, I know the shoe brand (Spalding) you are talking about as I had wore those type of shoes before.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/27/14 at 7:30 am

I see. Sport shoes were definitely the rage in the 90s. There was LA Gear, Fila, Jordans, Nike, and Adidas all together.
Ohh. I see now. I feel like the mood rings were one of the weirdest fashion trends ever during that time. Also, I know the shoe brand (Spalding) you are talking about as I had wore those type of shoes before.

Mood rings weren't weird, just cheap kids jewelry. They still sell them in plenty of stores.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/27/14 at 7:10 pm

Mood rings weren't weird, just cheap kids jewelry. They still sell them in plenty of stores.
Yep, they do. One of my friends had one before, but i'm not sure if she still has it today.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/27/14 at 7:15 pm

Yes, someone who remembers the Mood ring revival of early 1991.

Remember these from late '91/early 1992:

http://www.lelalondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/stick-on-earrings.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/28/14 at 5:18 am

I do and they'd be used for decorating school supplies as well.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/14 at 2:37 pm

Stick-On earrings were easy enough to put on the ears for little girls.

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:17 am

My little sister was into those probably in the early-mid 2000s. I remember how much of a mess they made lol.

Written By: Inertia on 09/29/14 at 8:17 am

I had some of those before I actually had my ears pierced at age seven.

Check for new replies or respond here...