inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Baby names of the 90s

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 12:56 am

What names do you associate with people born in the 90s? I think of Chris, Michael, Jacob, and Daniel for boys and Jessica, Ashley, Meghan and Brittany for girls, to think of a few off the top of my head.

Subject: Re: Baby names of the 90s

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/14 at 1:23 am

The names of Kylie and Jason became popular after characters for the Australian soap "Neighbours".

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/03/14 at 9:20 pm

Boys:

Austin
Brian
Dylan
Jordan
Justin
Zachary

Girls:

Kelly
Amanda
Stephanie
Hannah
Brianna
Heather

Written By: Inertia on 10/04/14 at 5:56 pm

Some of these also have a late 1980's feel, but these are names which were ubiquitous and trendy feeling when I was in elementary school during the nineties:

Girls:

Jessica
Ashley
Brittany
Stephanie
Tiffany
Megan
Amanda
Courtney
Amber
Kayla
Heather

Boys:

Tyler
Justin
Josh
Kyle
Cody
Jordan
Dylan
Jeremy
Caleb
Austin

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/04/14 at 6:21 pm

Another popular 90s name for boys was Isaiah. This name became very popular after the movie Losing Isaiah came out in 1995.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/05/14 at 9:05 am

What names do you associate with people born in the 90s? I think of Chris, Michael, Jacob, and Daniel for boys and Jessica, Ashley, Meghan and Brittany for girls, to think of a few off the top of my head.

Actually, Chris/Christopher peaked from the 1960s-80s and I associate that name with those decades, with the '90s being on the waning. The same with Michael (still popular, but peaked from the 1950s-80s). Daniel also peaked in the '80s. Now Jacob DID peak in the '90s, 1998 specifically and a common "high school" name I think of today.

Jessica peaked in the '80s, while Ashley had a much more sudden rise in the mid-'80s, peaking in 1987. Megan peaked in the late '80s, while Brittany is more of a 1989er, and by the time Britney Spears became popular, Brittany/Britney had lost most of its popularity.

When I think of '90s baby girl names, I think of Kayla, Caitlin (late '80s/early '90s), Haley, Emily, and Madison (late '90s/early '00s). That said, I find that the many names popular in the '80s continued to be popular in the '90s, making in general "millennial generation" names. According to a best baby name book from 2003 I have, the top four boys names of the '90s were the same as the '80s.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/05/14 at 1:56 pm

Jessica peaked in the '80s, while Ashley had a much more sudden rise in the mid-'80s, peaking in 1987. Megan peaked in the late '80s, while Brittany is more of a 1989er, and by the time Britney Spears became popular, Brittany/Britney had lost most of its popularity.

Apparently looking at the stats Brittany peaked in 1989 and Megan peaked in 1990, but yeah I would agree with you they're probably more like 1985-1995 era names generally speaking come to think of it. Jessica and Ashley I think were a bit more popular in the 80s but still extremely popular throughout most of the 90s, same with Sarah.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/05/14 at 7:40 pm

I went to school with kids born in late 1990 - mid 1991 and these seemed to be the most common names in my grade:

Ashley
Katie (could be short for Katelyn/Caitlin/Katherine)
Taylor
Jordan
Lauren or Laura
Brittany
Alyssa
Nicole
Liz/Elizabeth
Lindsay
Megan/Meghan

Mike/Michael
John
Kyle
Chris
Adam
Zach
Joe/Joseph
Nick
Matt
Dan
Justin

I feel certain boy names, like John or Joe or Mike, are pretty timeless so you will see them in a 1954 yearbook and a 2014 yearbook.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 10/06/14 at 3:08 pm

There were lots of Lauras and Rebeccas in my year.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 3:10 pm

There were lots of Lauras and Rebeccas in my year.

Interesting, you were born in 1991 right based on your username? Here in the States those names were popular for many decades, the 90s probably being the last decade with a lot of them born.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/14 at 9:09 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DSi4ZU8HtLg/UmGb-GZh0TI/AAAAAAAAHns/4Tka0l6H8zY/s1600/ku-bigpic.gif
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IrHPCh3OjbQ/Umvmt4q1opI/AAAAAAAArUU/iz0ECzoy1P4/s1600/ku-bigpic.gif

Sources: GIFs by Reuben Fischer-Baumon, based on data from Stephen Few's Show me the Numbers book: girls names 1960-2010 and boys names 1960-2010, demonstrating that religious references have faded over the past 50 years (and there was only one female character of note in the New Testament), we basically named our kids after whatever actor or character was really popular when they were born.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/24/15 at 9:08 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I couldn't resist answering!

Personally for me being in the Class of 2014, born Late 1995-Mid 1996, these were the most popular names I could remember people in my grade having:

Boys:

Chris
Mike
Matthew
Daniel
John
Joshua
Nicholas
Joseph
Tyler

Girls:

Amanda
Jennifer
Emily
Ashley
Jessica
Samantha
Danielle
Stephanie
Michelle

Written By: bchris02 on 11/25/15 at 11:04 am

I have a very 19th century name that confuses a lot of people today and have never liked.  I would change it I don't out of respect for my great uncle who I am named after.

As for baby names in the 90s, its pretty much the same as the '80s.  It wasn't until the 21st century that it really started to change.  For boys, Josh, Zach, Tyler, Dustin, Justin, Blake, Trey, and Adam were all popular.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/25/15 at 11:24 am

The 90's baby names feel modern to me, because those are usually the names I call with my everyday friends and acquaintances. I'm not sure what's makes 21st century names that much different than 80's or 90's names, because I don't go to school with my younger sisters who'd probably know more about that.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/15 at 12:26 pm

Girls:

Brittney
Meagan
Jessica

Boys:

Sean
Brian
Kevin

And all the ones posted.

Check for new replies or respond here...